• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroyume

Banned
According to Waypoint Bungie thinks of Tempest as an "inverted Valhalla." That must mean it's complete shit.

I like the look of the other two maps. 0:19-25 of that Anchor 9 video shows why I can't stand the AR. Either beef up the pistol/increase the ammo or nerf the AR. It's just stupid how the dude got the jump on him and still died first.

Look at the Anchor 9 video (0:53-1:11) also if you want to see how annoying AL is.. Dude makes another guy waste two rockets on him. :lol Ridiculous

bleahy

Neo Member
Kuroyume said:
Look at the Anchor 9 video also if you want to see how annoying AL is.. Dude makes another guy waste two rockets on him. :lol Ridiculous

Well, he shouldn't have kept firing rockets at me after I armor locked it once.

FourDoor said:
I got the feeling of a mini Avalanche from H3 in the bases from the video but that center area looks like a huge chokepoint.

It feels like a mix of Valhalla and Standoff to me.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
All 3 look pretty sweet imo.

Kuroyume said:
I like the look of the other two maps. 0:19-25 of that Anchor 9 video shows why I can't stand the AR. Either beef up the pistol/increase the ammo or nerf the AR. It's just stupid how the dude got the jump on him and still died first.
He was kind of spamming it, slow down the firing rate a bit and he would have easily had him.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Kuroyume said:
According to Waypoint Bungie thinks of Tempest as an "inverted Valhalla." That must mean it's complete shit.

Look at the Anchor 9 video (0:53-1:11) also if you want to see how annoying AL is.. Dude makes another guy waste two rockets on him. :lol Ridiculous

If by annoying, you mean he used armor lock correctly then yeah, he's annoying.

Nothing more satisfying than using armor lock to take a power weapon out of the equation, especially swords.

bleahy said:
Well, he shouldn't have kept firing rockets at me after I armor locked it once.

It feels like a mix of Valhalla and Standoff to me.
Are you allowed to talk about the forge palette of Tempest? Is it the same list as Forge World or are there any new additions?

Wow, Anchor 9 looks way better than I was expecting. I got very strong "The pit" vibes from it.

Thing is, I can't reconcile "Good competitive map" and "Shield Doors." I really want the map too work, but I have a feeling it's going to be a "Camp the doors" fest.

bleahy

Neo Member
FourDoor said:
Does that translate to Valhalla elements (mancannons and center high ground) with Standoff scale between the maps?

Valhalla elements: Mancannons to center and sides. Cover on sides. Warthogs/Geese.

Standoff elements: Overall size, rocks for cover in mid with a nice vehicle lane between.

The only thing missing is a power weapon to fight for in the middle. Both teams get rockets at their side cannons, which launches them toward the sniper rifles on the sides.

Kuroyume

Banned
Alienshogun said:
If by annoying, you mean he used armor lock correctly then yeah, he's annoying.

Nothing more satisfying than using armor lock to take a power weapon out of the equation, especially swords.

ANNOYING

Ramirez said:
You can't learn random.
Judging by your bloom video, you already have the forces of Internet latency on your side. If I can use a magnum fine with quarter-of-a-second lag on the other side of an ocean, you (a much better player) can too. Suck it up, princess.

FourDoor

bleahy said:
Valhalla elements: Mancannons to center and sides. Cover on sides. Warthogs/Geese.

Standoff elements: Overall size, rocks for cover in mid with a nice vehicle lane between.

The only thing missing is a power weapon to fight for in the middle. Both teams get rockets at their side cannons, which launches them toward the sniper rifles on the sides.

Thanks for the impressions. Those have me more intrigued about the map alongside the Forge palette.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Kuroyume said:

Meh, annoying to me is the guys who use it wrong, the ones who just use it to only prolong the inevitable death. The ones who use it to counter grenades, stickies, power weapons, and vehicles are using it in all the right ways.

LordPhoque said:
Fuck the zero-G stuff in long night of solace on legendary. Shit is impossible. And here ends my legendary run.

Wuss, I did legendary day 1 and nothing else. :D

Ramirez said:
I assume they're that way because of their weighting in Arena, so I doubt that happens.
Given the way the Arena formula works, it wouldn't matter if assists were ten times as common, as long as they were ten times as common for everyone.

Shake Appeal said:
Given the way the Arena formula works, it wouldn't matter if assists were ten times as common, as long as they were ten times as common for everyone.

In terms of relation to your fellow player, yes that is correct, but in terms of fixing the distortions that the messed up assists bring to the system, like people holding fire to grab the headshot, or losing an assist cause some dude ran away for 5 seconds and someone on your team cleaned him up 5 seconds later need to be fixed.

electricpirate said:
In terms of relation to your fellow player, yes that is correct, but in terms of fixing the distortions that the messed up assists bring to the system, like people holding fire to grab the headshot, or losing an assist cause some dude ran away for 5 seconds and someone on your team cleaned him up 5 seconds later need to be fixed.
No, I agree that they should be fixed, and particularly that the assist window being shorter than a shield recharge is retarded, all I'm saying is it wouldn't affect the way the Arena formula works, as it would affect it for everyone and the ratings are based on relative values rather than absolute ones.

feel

Tashi0106 said:
I agree

fixed
Getting the game to track assists properly apparently was proving to be too hard, so they made it so that now the game just recognizes the amount of times you yell BITCH YOU STOLE MY KILL into the mic during the match, and counts it as an assist.
More accurate with Kinect™

edit- nice ign vid, pretty excited, even if current reach btb is not as fun as it should be. Please rock hard, Anchor 9.

edit2- VVV I was finding games very fast yesterday. I hang on TeamSlayer mostly though.

MrDaravon

Is it taking anyone a longass time to find matches now? Did blops kill the population THAT bad? I played two matches last night (1 SWAT 1 Multiteam) and one today (Multiteam) and it took 3-5 minutes to actually find people for all 3 matches. Nothing seems to have changed with my connection (or at least with what Bungie says it is), but I can't imagine the population has dropped that dramatically, has it? If I'm already having a hard time finding a game on a Sunday evening, that's bad.

Also yay for a good weekly, although I'm going to have to be careful when I trigger getting it, since as far as I know Challenges still count towards the 60k daily cap.

Ha, also just ran into Gui in Matchmaking. I could not get anywhere near the damn hill the last three-quarters of that match, but I tore it up kill-wise, most of the people playing in that game were terrible.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
SailorDaravon said:
Is it taking anyone a longass time to find matches now? Did blops kill the population THAT bad? I played two matches last night (1 SWAT 1 Multiteam) and one today (Multiteam) and it took 3-5 minutes to actually find people for all 3 matches. Nothing seems to have changed with my connection (or at least with what Bungie says it is), but I can't imagine the population has dropped that dramatically, has it? If I'm already having a hard time finding a game on a Sunday evening, that's bad.

Also yay for a good weekly, although I'm going to have to be careful when I trigger getting it, since as far as I know Challenges still count towards the 60k daily cap.

Ha, also just ran into Gui in Matchmaking. I could not get anywhere near the damn hill the last three-quarters of that match, but I tore it up kill-wise, most of the people playing in that game were terrible.

You probably haven't played enough to have been true skilled yet, that's why they were terrible.

Yeah, blops has around 1 million-800K at any given point on, Reach is sitting around 100k from what I've seen the last few days.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/online.aspx

103k on reach atm.

I think this always happens when a new COD releases, but people eventually work their way back, I believe.

Not sure though.

ShinAmano

So totally random here, but I got the medal 'Second Gunman' in a game of Firefight Snipers yesterday...awesome name. I decided to check out some other medals available...how would you go about getting this:
Sunburst - Kill 15 enemies with the spartan laser without dying...when would you ever get 4 spartan lasers to do this? Is there an unlimited laser game?

Shake Appeal said:
Lots of dumb Armor Locking in this Tempest video. I don't know why people complain about this AA when people just use it as a "I'm going to wait 5 more seconds to die" bailout. People just look goofy doing it when they get soundly beaten in a duel.

I complain about it because its not all just about K/D ratios and doing well, it really isnt fun when lots of people use armour lock, no matter how bad they are with it.

Bleahy whats the zero g area of the Anchor 9 map like, I know those areas are detested by Gaf but I think a cool zero g map would be fun. I really hope those shield doors dont bring elements of Snowbound to that map. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
SailorDaravon said:
....I'm a Brigadier Grade 1 :lol

/sigh I mean in that playlist.

If you're donging on people really bad, you are probably playing below your skill or they brought friends into a game with them who are below your skill.

bleahy

Neo Member
bobs99 ... said:
I complain about it because its not all just about K/D ratios and doing well, it really isnt fun when lots of people use armour lock, no matter how bad they are with it.

Bleahy whats the zero g area of the Anchor 9 map like, I know those areas are detested by Gaf but I think a cool zero g map would be fun. I really hope those shield doors dont bring elements of Snowbound to that map. :lol

In the matches we played, it was mostly used as a sneaky way to flank and the rockets spawn out there. I used it a few times like Snowbound shields, but not too often in our playtime. Oddball will be fun out there, but there are like four ways out into space. An entrance in each base and one in each open bay.

What's really fun is jumping up while you're out in space and then moving inside so the gravity drops you on top of people.

The gravity is set such that you can jump from the bottom to the platforms up top and jump from the base side platform to the middle easily. You don't need sprint to do that.

I really want to take a stab at that weekly challenge. This is probably the first time the cR grind has lured me with its siren song of violence.

But its going to be such a damn busy week. Dammit Bungie!

Raide

NullPointer said:
I really want to take a stab at that weekly challenge. This is probably the first time the cR grind has lured me with its siren song of violence.

But its going to be such a damn busy week. Dammit Bungie!
:lol

It dragged me away from Forge, so Bungie must be doing something right this week.

MrDaravon

Alienshogun said:
/sigh I mean in that playlist.

If you're donging on people really bad, you are probably playing below your skill or they brought friends into a game with them who are below your skill.

I've played a TON of Multiteam. After that game though, I have been completely and utterly donged on multiple games in a row in Multiteam; my teammate keeps quitting, and even after backing out and researching I'm getting matched against the exact same goddamn dudes owning me. It's also still taking forever to find matches as well, and combined with the fact that I keep getting put in the same lobbies with huge skill disparities both ways seems to indicate that population is really, really bad. But I don't remember it being anywhere near this bad in Halo 3 after MW1 came out, damn. I also can't get 20 assists in multiteam to save my freaking life since my teammate keeps quitting which makes it a lot harder :/

SailorDaravon said:
I've played a TON of Multiteam. After that game though, I have been completely and utterly donged on multiple games in a row in Multiteam; my teammate keeps quitting, and even after backing out and researching I'm getting matched against the exact same goddamn dudes owning me. It's also still taking forever to find matches as well, and combined with the fact that I keep getting put in the same lobbies with huge skill disparities both ways seems to indicate that population is really, really bad. But I don't remember it being anywhere near this bad in Halo 3 after MW1 came out, damn. I also can't get 20 assists in multiteam to save my freaking life since my teammate keeps quitting which makes it a lot harder :/

When do you usually play Multiteam? I usually play it around 3pm EST and I still do pretty well particularly in Elite Slayer. It's mostly the only playlist I can still tolerate.

kylej

Banned
I only get betrayed for weapons and have quitters in Arena. Bloom, spawns, bad maps, armor abilities. Playing this game competitively is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom