• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw that reminds me, I havent got any challenges today yet!

If anyone wants to join me, I'm online now and probably will for about 3 more hours until the challenges reset, my GT=GAF.

Tashi0106 said:
Got 2 challenges today on the road to 16. I got the 100 kills and the 20 assists one. I just couldn't convince myself that I wanted to search firefight

3 games of Gruntpocalypse in Score Attack(2 full games, 120 Grunts each, and then just a third game to kill 10 of them).

And you can easily run through Winter Contingency in like 10-15 minutes for that challenge. You can skip most of the fighting in that mission. :lol

Cuban Legend said:
You slow the fuck down, I called Security back when all the haters were calling it 'ugly'...

All y'all joining the Security Helmet club? :) Security Helmet-bros 4 life, mang!

I used Security in Halo 3 all the time. I don't really like how it looks in Reach. I might use it here and there, but EVA will be my main helmet.

GhaleonEB

Ajemsuhgao said:
And you can easily run through Winter Contingency in like 10-15 minutes for that challenge. You can skip most of the fighting in that mission. :lol
I don't know why I never did it before, but for yesterday's Challenge with Famine on, I did the opposite. When Kat is taking her sweet time figuring out how to close a door, I stayed outside and killed everyone from the waves of drop ships. I've always gotten pushed inside before. I took a Score Attack mentality and just tore through everyone for a few minutes; I thought it was an infinite wave but it petered out pretty quick.

GhaleonEB said:
I don't know why I never did it before, but for yesterday's Challenge with Famine on, I did the opposite. When Kat is taking her sweet time figuring out how to close a door, I stayed outside and killed everyone from the waves of drop ships. I've always gotten pushed inside before. I took a Score Attack mentality and just tore through everyone for a few minutes; I thought it was an infinite wave but it petered out pretty quick.

I sometimes do that, if I don't care about potentially dying. :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So in the last game I played, the left side of my screen said I got +8,700 cR when the match ended, but in the carnage report at the end, it said my slot machine was only +80, yet my bar was moving forward at a rapid rate.

WTF?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Domino Theory said:
So in the last game I played, the left side of my screen said I got +8,700 cR when the match ended, but in the carnage report at the end, it said my slot machine was only +80, yet my bar was moving forward at a rapid rate.

WTF?

That's more more 3 times the MM dailies plus an average game bonus amount of CR. Even Onyx Commendations (unless you got a handful) wouldn't even add up to that.

Ah well, free loot it seems.

Raide

More than a Handful 1250cR
Kill 125 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Heroic Demon 1300cR
Kill 10 Elites in Firefight Matchmaking on Heroic or harder.

A Solid Outing 3000cR
Earn at least 15 kills in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Cook 'em, Clean 'em! 1500cR
Kill 10 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking while you're jet-packing.

zumphry

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
You slow the fuck down, I called Security back when all the haters were calling it 'ugly'...

All y'all joining the Security Helmet club? :) Security Helmet-bros 4 life, mang!

No, I called it (or was that vhfive?) first! I didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me.

been wearing it since Marathon, so, yeah

Raide said:

Heroic Demon 1300cR

A Solid Outing 3000cR

Ill probably try and get a solid outing and cook em clean em at the same time in Multi Team. For Heroic Demon im guessing the best bet is Sniper Attack?

GhaleonEB said:
You should stay outside the base at the beginning of Long Night of Solace. I stayed out there for close to 10 minutes before I got bored fighting waves and wanted to fly. Spirits drop off a wave at the beach and also over where the Wraith spawned, and Pelicans seem to continually drop off some help/fodder . It may not last forever, but it's pretty cool to mess around out there. Several of the Marines are fighting with Rocket Launchers, so you can pick up some goodies from time to time.

Damn you, Multiplayer Challenges! I like my Firefight security blanket!!

GhaleonEB

Raide said:

Heroic Demon 1300cR

A Solid Outing 3000cR

Those last three. Ug!

bobs99 ... said:
Ill probably try and get a solid outing and cook em clean em at the same time in Multi Team. For Heroic Demon im guessing the best bet is Sniper Attack?

Sniper fight only drops off 4-5 elites. You'll need to do a couple rounds, though sniper attack goes pretty quickly.

Jetpack challenge is terrible to do, but kind of awesome for getting easy kills as people fly around with big big targets on their back. needler ftw! The game I just had on cliffside was the most rediculous thing I've ever played, but it was kind of fun in the end.

Dani said:
Holy end of the media embargo Batman!

Videos are great, these maps are looking hot. I'm hearing Anchor 9 is getting a lot of praise - unexpected because initially it seems the most gimmicky.

As usual Waypoint has the best quality, full length videos.
I was watching a few Waypoint videos earlier and the quality was...quite bad. It was weird.
GhaleonEB said:
The Cage is at least as bad as you led me to believe. I think it might be the worst Halo shipping map I've played. The sight lines are just really weird and it's got some very strangely designed areas. It feels very cluttered and if it was just pared back a ways it might work.
The Cage is pretty bad. I don't think I can call it the worst shipping map in Halo (I'm still cringing about Isolation), but it's definitely up there.

Glad to hear good stuff about the new maps. I finally got Lt Colonel the other day and I'm now 1000/1000 in Reach. I'm a little concerned about some of the new achievements that are coming with the Noble Map Pack...Double Kill from the Grave? I hate achievements that are very hard to obtain. It really bothers me if I don't get them:lol

GhaleonEB said:
Hey guyz here's my MP impressions since I had my first real time with it today working the Challenges. Nine games, Rumble Pit; I "won" all but two.

Cliffside is not as bad as you guys led me to believe. It's nice and simple but effective FFA layout. I had a lot of fun on it.

The Cage is at least as bad as you led me to believe. I think it might be the worst Halo shipping map I've played. The sight lines are just really weird and it's got some very strangely designed areas. It feels very cluttered and if it was just pared back a ways it might work.

Pinnacle is terrible.

Sword Base is not much better.

FFA Headhunter is awesome. Awesome enough to be fun even on The Cage.

Juggernaut Boardwalk is not awesome.

Several of these maps don't have spawn systems set up for FFA to work very well. Maybe they just can't be good FFA maps but it felt like the spawning system was worse than in Halo 3.

Elite Slayer is a hell spawn of pain and misery. My typical experiences: film one, film two.

The Pistol/AR/DMR balance is magical.

Had fun, much more fun (Elite Slayer aside) than I ever had with Halo 3 FFA, despite not liking over half the maps and hating certain aspects of the sandbox (that would be Armor Lock) and gameplay design (that would be everything having to do with melee combat). But that might be because True Skill hasn't caught up with me yet and I'm flying high.

Nine games turned my K/D from .65 or so to positive.

Highlight of the night.

reach_10135274_Full.jpg

Had fun, much more fun (Elite Slayer aside) than I ever had with Halo 3 FFA, despite not liking over half the maps and hating certain aspects of the sandbox (that would be Armor Lock) and gameplay design (that would be everything having to do with melee combat). But that might be because True Skill hasn't caught up with me yet and I'm flying high.m

A couple of points.

1. Pinnacle > Cage > Cliffside IMO. I thought cliffside might be better in ffa, but I still just don't like it. The cage can only support 4 people MAX, and it should be removed from all playlists except 2 vs 2. I have a soft spot for Pinnacle, though I miss the banshee on the level.

2. You think FFA headhunter is fun? Wait till you get to team headhunter. By far my favorite new game-mode in Reach. It moves fast, discourages camping, and builds to these awesome climax's as 1 guy starts carrying 8-9 skulls near the end.

3. Give the melee some time. It adds a lot of strategy to the game, but it took me probably 60-70 games to break my old Melee timing. Now that I've gotten used to it I find that it leads to more interesting conflicts than H3's super melee, like moments where you dash in for the quick hit, then back up for the headshot while the other guy swings and misses. It's also much easier to know the outcome than Halo 2's "Good idea but bad in practice" variable melee damages. The only downside to the system is the double melee's, but at this point, the only time I use it, or see someone pull that, is if we run a blind corner into each other, and the only recourse is to try and throw the punches for the simultaneous death. moments like this are why I think it works really well (first kill), http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=6556057&player=electricpirate

In Halo 3 we would have simultaneously died, in Halo 2 whoever had the best connection would have won. In Reach though, because I was able to use the more challenging weapon and time the attack better, I claimed victory.

Dax01 said:
I was watching a few Waypoint videos earlier and the quality was...quite bad. It was weird.
It depends on your connection, and I think it only detects your connection once, when it starts buffering, so if your connection was shaky for those moments, or you were downloading something or whatever, your quality would be dialed down.

Although aren't you at university? Probably your line is choked with people downloading the new Kanye West album.

ToyMachine228 said:
Glad to hear good stuff about the new maps. I finally got Lt Colonel the other day and I'm now 1000/1000 in Reach. I'm a little concerned about some of the new achievements that are coming with the Noble Map Pack...Double Kill from the Grave? I hate achievements that are very hard to obtain. It really bothers me if I don't get them:lol

The worst part is I have gotten most of the ones on the list already and I just know once they start counting I will never see them again. :lol

lybertyboy said:
Did you watch on console, web or YouTube?
Console.

Edit: By the way, the sound quality in Reach is...marvelous. I'm home for Thanksgiving, so I'm (again) playing with a surround sound system, and it's like playing a whole new game. The beginning credits sound especially awesome: They get you pumped up!

GhaleonEB

electricpirate said:
3. Give the melee some time. It adds a lot of strategy to the game, but it took me probably 60-70 games to break my old Melee timing. Now that I've gotten used to it I find that it leads to more interesting conflicts than H3's super melee, like moments where you dash in for the quick hit, then back up for the headshot while the other guy swings and misses. It's also much easier to know the outcome than Halo 2's "Good idea but bad in practice" variable melee damages. The only downside to the system is the double melee's, but at this point, the only time I use it, or see someone pull that, is if we run a blind corner into each other, and the only recourse is to try and throw the punches for the simultaneous death. moments like this are why I think it works really well (first kill), http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=6556057&player=electricpirate

In Halo 3 we would have simultaneously died, in Halo 2 whoever had the best connection would have won. In Reach though, because I was able to use the more challenging weapon and time the attack better, I claimed victory.
Nah. I've played enough to know that I hate it. The shield delimiter, the double-melee capability, the whiff-fest that is the new system. I don't use the term hate often to describe things in Halo, but I hate hate hate the new melee system and think it's utterly broken. That pillar of the tripod got knocked clean out from under it.

Now, I may get used to it. And I hope to. But I still hate it.
Tashi0106 said:
Real men play Recon
And also, use 100 posts per page.

It took me like two weeks of Halo 3 to switch to Bumper Jumper, I am not going through that again. And BJ is best for everything that doesn't involve jetpacking.

I view 100 posts.

Melee/CQC is better than it has ever been in a Halo game before, especially if you live outside the US.

Holy moly! Thanks to my sound system, I just noticed the faint heartbeat when your health gets low. Nice touch and a nice throwback to Halo 1. Bravo, Bungie.

Soooooo much of this game could be fixed by new maps, spawn changes, and playlist alterations. I can't tell if it is because of all the "conversation" about it on here, but The Cage is getting downright tiresome. Still love the game though.

Anybody ever go through a stretch where they play absolutely terribly? I can't aim, I make terrible decisions, all the luck stuff goes against me. That was the last week or ten days of Halo for me. yuck. Again still love the game. Thanks Bungie.
/deardiary

Edit-town: Anybody else feel that the new maps may very well be the best in the game? Won't know until we play them, but if they are...how do we feel about that? I don't mind paying 10 bucks for the map pack, but it's going to stink if the majority of the population doesn't even play the best maps in the game.

MrBig

Bregmann Roche said:
Soooooo much of this game could be fixed by new maps, spawn changes, and playlist alterations. I can't tell if it is because of all the "conversation" about it on here, but The Cage is getting downright tiresome. Still love the game though.

Anybody ever go through a stretch where they play absolutely terribly? I can't aim, I make terrible decisions, all the luck stuff goes against me. That was the last week or ten days of Halo for me. yuck. Again still love the game. Thanks Bungie.
/deardiary
I've been playing like shit fir the last week too. I'm usually the top player on my team, but now its hard to get even 10 kills sometimes.
Dax01 said:
Console.

Edit: By the way, the sound quality in Reach is...marvelous. I'm home for Thanksgiving, so I'm (again) playing with a surround sound system, and it's like playing a whole new game. The beginning credits sound especially awesome: They get you pumped up!
Couple days ago I was in a snipers game in which it was 2v4 on Boardwalk from the start. Cranked my 5.1 all the way up and I could people wherever they are on the map. Ended up getting a steaktacular I think if we didn't run out of time first. Shit was amazing.

Bregmann Roche said:

/deardiary
I don't think I ever welcomed you to HaloGAF/NeoGAF...welcome! Haha.

Anyway, I don't think the spawn system is bad by any means, or is in dire need of change. Yeah, it could use some tweaking, but other than that, I'm pleased with it. (Although I just got done with a game that had me spawn in front of a guy twice).

The best thing that could be done with the playlists is change all the playlists in "competitive" to "social" and all the "Arena" games to "ranked."

Dax01 said:
I don't think I ever welcomed you to HaloGAF/NeoGAF...welcome! Haha.

Anyway, I don't think the spawn system is bad by any means, or is in dire need of change. Yeah, it could use some tweaking, but other than that, I'm pleased with it. (Although I just got done with a game that had me spawn in front of a guy twice).

The best thing that could be done with the playlists is change all the playlists in "competitive" to "social" and all the "Arena" games to "ranked."

Thanks for the welcome.

I don't think the spawn system is bad either, just certain gametypes on certain maps seem to suffer from a lack of good/fair spawns. In some playlists spawns don't bother me at all. I'm thinking more along the lines of having to do a 5k run just to get back to the action on Spire or starting a game of multiteam directly between two other teams that go grenade/AR crazy on you right off the bat.

Finally: I wonder how many people were scared off by the "competitive" tag.

The lack of social playlists of any kind makes the matchmaking experience kind of intense once you've played a few games in every playlist. Whereas in Halo 3 I could go into BTB or social skirmish and relax and watch my DPM soar in six games out of every seven, unless I go in with people who have lower TrueSkills than me, every playlist in Reach (except Multiteam, for some reason) tends to be pretty competitive and geared to my level.

What Bungie don't seem to realize is that most people don't actually want to be challenged much in their online shooters, and prefer winning blowouts to tense 50-45 wins or narrow defeats. And everyone who gets sick of being donged on or having to play at a consistent level will migrate to shooters that are happy to just toss everyone in together nearly at random.

Bregmann Roche said:
Thanks for the welcome.

I don't think the spawn system is bad either, just certain gametypes on certain maps seem to suffer from a lack of good/fair spawns. In some playlists spawns don't bother me at all. I'm thinking more along the lines of having to do a 5k run just to get back to the action on Spire or starting a game of multiteam directly between two other teams that go grenade/AR crazy on you right off the bat.

Finally: I wonder how many people were scared off by the "competitive" tag.

I'm actually fine with the competitve tag on the unranked playlists, because most of them are actually pretty competitive. Snipers, SWAT, Slayer, Objective, BTB all feature competitive gametypes, with none of the "crazy stuff" stuff that marked the H3 social playlists (Fiesta, rocket gametypes, etc) but it fits less for places like Multi Team, rumble pit which have a wider mix of gametypes.

Edit:

Shake Appeal said:
The lack of social playlists of any kind makes the matchmaking experience kind of intense once you've played a few games in every playlist. Whereas in Halo 3 I could go into BTB or social skirmish and relax and watch my DPM soar in six games out of every seven, unless I go in with people who have lower TrueSkills than me, every playlist in Reach (except Multiteam, for some reason) tends to be pretty competitive and geared to my level.

What Bungie don't seem to realize is that most people don't actually want to be challenged much in their online shooters, and prefer winning blowouts to tense 50-45 wins or narrow defeats. And everyone who gets sick of being donged on or having to play at a consistent level will migrate to shooters that are happy to just toss everyone in together nearly at random.

The Irishman gets it. Ranked vs. Unranked is about more than a number, and most of Reach's playlists perform like H3's ranked (competitive) playstis for a variety of reasons.

when we gonna get an action sack playlist yo?

Shake Appeal said:
Yeah. A lot of these playlists don't allow me to kick back and relax (unlike Halo 3). For those playlists that are "competitive," like SWAT, and Snipers, they should be moved into their own category.

I think the playlists should be like this:
Arena
-Team Arena
-Doubles Arena

Social
-Team Slayer
-Team Objective
-BTB
-Invasion
-Multi Team
-Rumble Pit
-Living Dead

Competitive
-Team SWAT
-Team Snipers
-MLG

Gui_PT

Hai guise, how do u like my ride?
Z77p2.jpg

This is my previous ride:
VmSto.jpg

Someone has to do this with me on co-op so we can fly around shooting banshees.

Kuroyume

Banned
I still feel the disc maps in this game are generally good, although I agree the spawns in The Cage are a problem. The same goes for the entire Invasion mode. Other than that I haven't had a problem with spawns or the default maps. If adjustments need to be made then they have to be done in the load outs, weapons, and vehicle spawns. Maybe AL is fine in campaign but it should be pulled out everywhere from multiplayer excluding campaign co-op annd FF. They treat the drop shield like that for a reason so it's time for them to understand that AL needs to be pulled back like that too. The weapons also need to be adjusted. AR nerf, pistol beef, and plasma launcher adjustment all come to mind. The only screwed up thing about saying that is that you just know Bungie will screw something else up along the way. Oh, beef up the pistol? Guess we'll slow down the rate of fire on the DMR and shorten it's range for no good reason at all.

GhaleonEB said:
Nah. I've played enough to know that I hate it. The shield delimiter, the double-melee capability, the whiff-fest that is the new system. I don't use the term hate often to describe things in Halo, but I hate hate hate the new melee system and think it's utterly broken. That pillar of the tripod got knocked clean out from under it.

Now, I may get used to it. And I hope to. But I still hate it.

And also, use 100 posts per page.

What do you mean with this one? I haven't noticed any real differences between the old system and the new in regards to the amount of lunge/aim assist to the melee. Though using default controls probably helps here, as being able to aim and melee makes those cqb battles much easier.

I think the positives of the new system far outweigh the negatives, but until the timing starts to click, it's really hard to see those positives. I know you're pretty paticular about your mechanics though, but I have a feeling it'll grow on you.

Ramirez

electricpirate said:

You provide the lulz around here every day for me. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom