• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

chess

Dax01 said:
Yeah. A lot of these playlists don't allow me to kick back and relax (unlike Halo 3). For those playlists that are "competitive," like SWAT, and Snipers, they should be moved into their own category.

I think the playlists should be like this:
Arena
-Team Arena
-Doubles Arena

Social
-Team Slayer
-Team Objective
-BTB
-Invasion
-Multi Team
-Rumble Pit
-Living Dead

Competitive
-Team SWAT
-Team Snipers
-MLG
-Team Classic

couldn't agree more! :p

I'll be keeping my eye out for playlists updates and see if something gets me to activate my live subscription back up. I don't know that MLG list and DLC will do it. Tis a sad time.

Ramirez

I really hope Tempest delivers a good BTB experience, we played a 15 or 20 minute stale mate on Hemorrhage last night, and man did I loath the game by the end of it. :lol

Trasher said it last night, but I'd love to see the numbers on who has actually capped a flag or planted on a bomb on that map, I don't think any of my teams ever have.

chess said:
couldn't agree more! :p

I'll be keeping my eye out for playlists updates and see if something gets me to activate my live subscription back up. I don't know that MLG list and DLC will do it. Tis a sad time.

Also agree. But does the Dax playlist idea work if the population drops to 90,000? The drop-off in players is starting to get scary. How much of a surge was there in Halo 3's population after Christmas?

Ramirez said:
Trasher said it last night, but I'd love to see the numbers on who has actually capped a flag or planted on a bomb on that map, I don't think any of my teams ever have.
Hemorrhage and Paradisop flag/bomb games seem to always end 0-0. On the rare occasion someone does cap or plant it's invariably because someone fucked up badly, and then whichever team it is in the lead just turtles 1-0 because what's the point of trying anything else.

God, I hate Reach's BTB. My love for the game nosedives so rapidly in that playlist.

Edit: Dax's list isn't bad, but don't bother with 'Team Classic'. Infection should be a weekend playlist only.

MrBig

Bregmann Roche said:
Also agree. But does the Dax playlist idea work if the population drops to 90,000? The drop-off in players is starting to get scary. How much of a surge was there in Halo 3's population after Christmas?
Reach was at 60k this morning, the lowest I've ever seen it. The lowest I ever saw H3 at was 50k, but reach's counter is current players and 3 was 24hrs.

Kuroyume

Banned
Ramirez said:
I really hope Tempest delivers a good BTB experience, we played a 15 or 20 minute stale mate on Hemorrhage last night, and man did I loath the game by the end of it. :lol

Too many vehicles in that map. People would rather wait around for a vehicle so they can play it like slayer rather doing the objective. Objective games really should be worth a lot of points though otherwise people will just continue to play everything like slayer.

chess

Bregmann Roche said:

There will be a surge this weekend with the holiday, free gold, and then the DLC release. But the bottom will fall back out before Christmas.

It's actually a relief not being able to play. If I want to play Reach I can play around with my man legos in Forge. Which has to be probably the best improvement of anything in Reach.

Shake Appeal said:
Hemorrhage and Paradisop flag/bomb games seem to always end 0-0. On the rare occasion someone does cap or plant it's invariably because someone fucked up badly, and then whichever team it is in the lead just turtles 1-0 because what's the point of trying anything else.

God, I hate Reach's BTB. My love for the game nosedives so rapidly in that playlist.
I commented on this earlier, calling Hemorrhage "stalemate central." I think it's because the maps are too big not to have some sort of jumping off point for when a player grabs a flag. In Halo 3 on both Avalanche and Valhalla, once a player got the flag, he had a chance to actually get it away from the enemy base by taking a nearby mancannon or a teleporter.

Edit: Also, my playlist idea was just me reorganizing the current batch of playlists (I included MLG because I know that's going to be included). I would add in a Team Actionsack playlist to "social" if I was thinking of playlists to add.

Gui_PT

squidhands said:
US Central, so you're 6 hours in the future. :D I'll keep an eye out for you.

Sure. Send a message whenever, even if you just want to do some Matchmaking. If you don't see me on, send a message anyway, I usually have xbox.com open so I can see when people send messages.

ShinAmano said:
Is there a way in the game to check the numbers for getting to your next rank...the bar is so arbitrary.

Check your profile on b.net. The progress bar will say something like 55000 of 100000

AwesomeSyrup said:
I don't think anyone should ever worry about a shortage of people in matchmaking with a Halo game.

I'm not worried about there not being enough players to get a game with. The issue is that as the number of players in the pool drops, the quality of the games also decreases. Fewer people equals more bad connections, skill disparities, etc.

Bungie set Reach up so that I could choose to play games with polite, chatty, team-oriented people but what good does it do if none of those people go into matchmaking? Or if only a relatively small number do so I end up with connection issues every game?

I don't think this is a problem yet...but the population continues to drop so at some point it will be a problem.

And yes, I'm a spoiled American who never has to worry about crosslantic connections and yes, I do feel for you European types.

Edited: depending on what your definition of the word "is" is.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ramirez said:

Random team-mates? Because when I play with a bunch of friends we typically cap at least once every game.

Ramirez

enzo_gt said:
Ramirez' holy trinity of Halo:
Melee
Grenades
Guns (as long as there is no bloom)

:p

Halo 3's grenade power and melee system was fine. Sure, I hate the noob who did nothing but AR+Beatdown, but that could have been fixed with a simple retooling of how many bullets had to land in order for it to happen. It was like 5 bullets in 3, but instead of doing that, we get a system where shooting someone prior to their shields being down is completely worthless in CQC. Oh hey that guy is sprinting at you to melee you? Well, all of those bullets you put into him don't count unless you popped his shields, cue double melee and simultaneous death.

Random team-mates?

No, good teammates, and if the other side is filled with at least half competent players, then no one is scoring.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ramirez said:
No, good teammates, and if the other side is filled with at least half competent players, then no one is scoring.

True enough, all it takes is a person who knows where the shotgun is and armor lock. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
I don't know why I never did it before, but for yesterday's Challenge with Famine on, I did the opposite. When Kat is taking her sweet time figuring out how to close a door, I stayed outside and killed everyone from the waves of drop ships. I've always gotten pushed inside before. I took a Score Attack mentality and just tore through everyone for a few minutes; I thought it was an infinite wave but it petered out pretty quick.

That's actually a really good area to beef up automatic weapon kills (Needler, Assault Rifle, Plasma Rifle, Plasma Repeater, Spiker) for the Standard Issue Commendation. Or that rally point to be more precise. I know that most of us rarely use those weapons in the campaign.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
Halo 3's grenade power and melee system was fine. Sure, I hate the noob who did nothing but AR+Beatdown, but that could have been fixed with a simple retooling of how many bullets had to land in order for it to happen. It was like 5 bullets in 3, but instead of doing that, we get a system where shooting someone prior to their shields being down is completely worthless in CQC. Oh hey that guy is sprinting at you to melee you? Well, all of those bullets you put into him don't count unless you popped his shields, cue double melee and simultaneous death.

The grenades were definitely better in Halo 3. After 2 months of playing almost everyday I still can't lace a grenade exactly where I want it. They bounce differently off of every floor and wall on every map and it's a real pain in the ass. I feel like if you have to throw it at someones feet if you want it to work. I don't like that. Also, I absolutely HATE the fucking sound it makes when the grenade hits you. That metal on metal clunk sound. Probably because it means I'm about to die but every time I hear it, I cringe.

I also preferred the melee system in Halo 3 but I don't think CQC is so 1 dimensional in Reach either. There's definitely a ton of double melee idiots but I don't get why people are doing it. If you go in for the double melee you're almost always going to end that fight either dead or no shields. It makes no fucking sense to me. I'm wondering if it's the Arena mentality where you better get the kill yourself because you probably won't get the assist for it. Maybe it's because they feel like if they shoot, he's just going to armor lock or sprint away. Either way, it's a very individually oriented style of play.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
The grenades were definitely better in Halo 3. After 2 months of playing almost everyday I still can't lace a grenade exactly where I want it. They bounce differently off of every floor and wall on every map and it's a real pain in the ass. I feel like if you have to throw it at someones feet if you want it to work. I don't like that. Also, I absolutely HATE the fucking sound it makes when the grenade hits you. That metal on metal clunk sound. Probably because it means I'm about to die but every time I hear it, I cringe.

I also preferred the melee system in Halo 3 but I don't think CQC is so 1 dimensional in Reach either. There's definitely a ton of double melee idiots but I don't get why people are doing it. If you go in for the double melee you're almost always going to end that fight either dead or no shields. It makes no fucking sense to me. I'm wondering if it's the Arena mentality where you better get the kill yourself because you probably won't get the assist for it. Maybe it's because they feel like if they shoot, he's just going to armor lock or sprint away. Either way, it's a very individually oriented style of play.

There's too many ways it could go wrong if you don't just go for the double melee. You mentioned Sprint/AL away, if you miss the first shot, you're essentially screwed too. It doesn't help that every melee feels different, some times you get knocked back a few inches, other times you get knocked back 50 feet. I melee'd a guy at the top of the rocket stairs on Boardwalk last night and launched him all the way down the stairs, just never know what you're going to get in this game.

Tashi0106 said:
The grenades were definitely better in Halo 3. After 2 months of playing almost everyday I still can't lace a grenade exactly where I want it. They bounce differently off of every floor and wall on every map and it's a real pain in the ass.
Yeah, I can agree with this. Also, they still feel so disproportionately powerful to the other parts of the sandbox (I find the 'fuck you' grenade an opponent drops just before you land the killing shot in a DMR duel to be way more annoying than AL; they're basically telling you they're not even going to try and come back from being a couple shots down and are happy just to trade deaths), and considering they've been toned down since the beta, I'm glad I can only faintly remember how they were back then.

Frag grenades were one of my most favourite weapons in 2/3, but throwing them in Reach is like a goddamn shot put or something. Arena season 4 can't come fast enough.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
There's too many ways it could go wrong if you don't just go for the double melee. You mentioned Sprint/AL away, if you miss the first shot, you're essentially screwed too. It doesn't help that every melee feels different, some times you get knocked back a few inches, other times you get knocked back 50 feet. I melee'd a guy at the top of the rocket stairs on Boardwalk last night and launched him all the way down the stairs, just never know what you're going to get in this game.

Yea that's weird how sometimes you get knocked back really far and sometimes you don't. I don't get it. When I'm in a CQC situation I almost never go for the double melee. It's usually 1 melee and then jump back to finish with the headshot. If a double melee is the seemingly only way I'm going to get the kill, I shoot and then melee right after. If the bullet doesn't kill him then we'll trade. However sometimes the bullet will kill and he'll get the melee off still because of that whole latency window shit.

Gui_PT said:
Sure. Send a message whenever, even if you just want to do some Matchmaking. If you don't see me on, send a message anyway, I usually have xbox.com open so I can see when people send messages.
Will do, thanks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shake Appeal said:
Yeah, I can agree with this. Also, they still feel so disproportionately powerful to the other parts of the sandbox (I find the 'fuck you' grenade an opponent drops just before you land the killing shot in a DMR duel to be way more annoying than AL; they're basically telling you they're not even going to try and come back from being a couple shots down and are happy just to trade deaths), and considering they've been toned down since the beta, I'm glad I can only faintly remember how they were back then.

Frag grenades were one of my most favourite weapons in 2/3, but throwing them in Reach is like a goddamn shot put or something. Arena season 4 can't come fast enough.
I used to do the "fuck you" stick right before I knew I was going to lose a battle at close proximity. Needless to say Armor Lock has made it so I can't be a dick anymore like that. It's been that way since Halo 2 for me.

Ugh just played a match working on the Jetpack challenge and damn did I suck. I hate these challenges that cause me to have to completely change my playstyle.

Ramirez

Speaking of sticks, the Needle Rifle load outs should all be changed to frag nades, plasma nades are way too cheap to be spawning with.

RdN

GhaleonEB said:
Does the jetpack challenge today have to be done all in one game? And is Rumble Pit the best place to do it?

Can be done in multiple matches.. And I find Multi Team the best place for it.

GhaleonEB

RdN said:
Can be done in multiple matches.. And I find Multi Team the best place for it.
Oh thank god, I read it this morning and thought it was in one game. I was thinking of strategies for it, such as to play like normal, but then just feather the jetpack before the headshot. Being able to spread it out will make it easy. Thanks.

So it's been two months now, so maybe someone knows the answer to this:

On LNoS, when you first
board the Corvette, there's low-gravity and what looks like no O2 (all non-masked Covies are dead). Then when you kill the last Covie in the Hangar, air & grav are restored. Any idea why there's no grav in the first place and why it gets magically restored? UNSC AI attack? A result of the engine damage?
This bugs me not being able to figure it out :p

Kuroyume

Banned
Wow, lots of crazy talk in here all of the sudden. I understand some of you have problems with Reach, but Halo 3 did absolutely nothing better. :lol

Jinjo

Epyon MX said:
So it's been two months now, so maybe someone knows the answer to this:

On LNoS, when you first board the Corvette, there's low-gravity and what looks like no O2 (all non-masked Covies are dead). Then when you kill the last Covie in the Hangar, air & grav are restored. Any idea why there's no grav in the first place and why it gets magically restored? UNSC AI attack? A result of the engine damage? This bugs me. :p

I thought I was the only one. You know what also bugs me? The freefall in motherfucking space at the end of that level.:lol

feel

Tashi0106 said:
Real men play Recon
Default bro, anything else and you're a tryhard. :p

Gui_PT said:
Hai guise, how do u like my ride?
Z77p2.jpg

wat

what

WHAT

W H A T

:O

My wish since 2001!!! How??????

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
There isn't a free fall. The planet's gravity brings Six down.
Plus, he was thrown, so he'd keep moving in the direction Jorge chucked him.

My gripe with that sequence is that I wanted to see Six using his jetpack on re-entry, and the landing. And the game doesn't make it clear just how much time has passed until he gets to New Alexandria. I didn't stitch together the time stamps and so didn't know it had been several days (which makes sense).

If I could modify the playlists I'd break BTB in two:

BTB Slayer
BTB Objective

Gimme my large maps and CTF and that's where I'd spend all my multiplayer time.

And while we're at it, COD hit it out of the park with its Mercenary mode. Such a great way to jump into mathmaking solo without being worried about getting slaughtered by a well oiled team. So...

Mercenary Team Deathmatch (no parties allowed).
Mercenary Team Objective (no parties allowed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom