• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker

Kuroyume said:
Wow, lots of crazy talk in here all of the sudden. I understand some of you have problems with Reach, but Halo 3 did absolutely nothing better. :lol
Halo 3 had superb maps and weapon balance. No randomness from the bullet spread BR, yo.

If I could modify the playlists I'd break BTB in two:

BTB Slayer
BTB Objective
They just need to make BTB more focused on CTF and Bomb. Weighting the various gametypes will do this, and make it so more Slayer games are less likely to show up based upon voting. Of the multiple opening voting selections, two should ALWAYS be Multi-CTF or 1-Flag, and another should ALWAYS be Neutral Bomb or 1-Bomb. They still neglect Multi-Bomb for some reason. That would slide well for Hemorrhage and Paradiso, I think.

People like playing slayer these days, and you even get people not playing the objective games right because they're too close minded to do the real goal at hand. There is regular Slayer, Snipers, Elite Slayer, and Headhunter qualifying for slayer oriented gametypes. Just a bit much, I think.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
Speaking of sticks, the Needle Rifle load outs should all be changed to frag nades, plasma nades are way too cheap to be spawning with.

This absolutely. People pick that loadout just so they can stick.

Pete Rock

Prepare to be disappointed, pretty half-baked (poached?) easter egg :lol

Tashi0106 said:
Also, I absolutely HATE the fucking sound it makes when the grenade hits you. That metal on metal clunk sound. Probably because it means I'm about to die but every time I hear it, I cringe.

What about the "SHHHHHHHHH" whistling noise even though it's already landed right next to you and has by all approximation stopped traveling whatsoever, let alone at at speeds over 25mph? Every time I hear a grenade near me I think someone turned on a goddamn vacuum, it's so bad.

I understand it from a design standpoint, people are dying due to the explosion radius yet were not understanding their proximity to said damage - I just don't understand how that turns into a whistle of death that scales with the life of the grenade - not the speed or angle at which it travels.

Raide said:
Anyone think that during FireFight, the player's A.I voice should be played through your Headset?

No, because I don't want to play score attack by myself with my headset on, bugs me having it on when I'm not really talking to anyone.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Spire has got to be the worst fucking map of all time, OF ALL TIME. Seriously Bungie you dropped the fucking ball on that one, from the design to the spawns, to the heavy presence of vehicles spawnfucking you left and right. Shittiest shit experience eve. As if that wasn't enough you then fucking make it into a territories game, are you out of your fucking mind!? Then you put the territories widely out into the open so people can get fucking sniped/stabbed/shot/bombed/turreted/splattered and its not like you can get any real cover while trying to take these shitty territories so your only hope is to purely outpower the enemy team. Shitty shit shitty, fuck this map.

Kuroyume

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Is it a known issue that people can get up on the cliff face of Asylum, or should I send a film to someone at Bungie?

With the jetpack? I had that happen to me in one game and it was annoying as hell.

FourDoor

Anchor 9 looks great but I wonder how long it will take before people start complaining about the shield doors.

The commentary was sweet as well. It just reminded me that I still havent finished watching the Legendary Commentary to Reach on Waypoint. I might have to do that tonight.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Plywood said:
Spire has got to be the worst fucking map of all time, OF ALL TIME. Seriously Bungie you dropped the fucking ball on that one, from the design to the spawns, to the heavy presence of vehicles spawnfucking you left and right. Shittiest shit experience eve. As if that wasn't enough you then fucking make it into a territories game, are you out of your fucking mind!? Then you put the territories widely out into the open so people can get fucking sniped/stabbed/shot/bombed/turreted/splattered and its not like you can get any real cover while trying to take these shitty territories so your only hope is to purely outpower the enemy team. Shitty shit shitty, fuck this map.

The forge world maps are worse, Cage and all the other pieces of shit.

Spire is actually good so long as you know where the power weapons are and use them to take out vehicles.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Alienshogun said:
The forge world maps are worse.

Spire is actually good so long as you know where the power weapons are and use them to take out vehicles.
That's another issue, the race to the power weapons/vehicles and once one team gets the power weapons/vehicles your pretty much fucked. It's hard to get to do anything when you spawn and your either in the sightlines of a sniper, banshee or Falcon.

Ramirez

FourDoor said:
Anchor 9 looks great but I wonder how long it will take before people start complaining about the shield doors.

The commentary was sweet as well. It just reminded me that I still havent finished watching the Legendary Commentary to Reach on Waypoint. I might have to do that tonight.

I'll go ahead and complain about them, they were terrible in 3, they will be terrible here.

MrBig

Alienshogun said:
The forge world maps are worse, Cage and all the other pieces of shit.

I've been playing this game almost every other day for the past two months and the only map I know where all the spawns are at is Hemo :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Plywood said:
That's another issue, the race to the power weapons/vehicles and once one team gets the power weapons/vehicles your pretty much fucked. It's hard to get to do anything when you spawn and your either in the sightlines of a sniper, banshee or Falcon.

On spire there is 1 sniper, one rocket on both sides, then one side gets a grenade launcher, and the other gets a fuel rod. (unless I haven't found the grenade launcher and fuel rod for the other sides.

There is no reason one team should be getting all the power weapons unless your team is all scrubs.

What makes me mad is when people pick up the power weapons (sniper included) and ignore the vehicles.

It may take 4 sniper rounds to kill a banshee, but those 4 rounds are better spent taking it out than getting 4 single kills.

MrBig said:
I've been playing this game almost every other day for the past two months and the only map I know where all the spawns are at is Hemo :(

Yeah, add in the sniper lines of sight in Hemo, the open spawns and shitty spawns in the rest of the forge world maps, and all of those maps are pure shit.

I still can't believe they haven't been altered yet to "help" the situation.

The only forge world map I like is Asylum.

Striker

Ramirez said:
I'll go ahead and complain about them, they were terrible in 3, they will be terrible here.
Epitaph was terrible for it, but was still bad without them. Snowbound was bad until it became Boundless, therefore at that point it at least became feasibly fun to an extent. I don't mind the outside space section, but the indoor shields just reek of roasting more marsh-mellows and hot dogs.

MrBig said:
You can pretty much locate the primary spawn locations in all team games, notably ones on large maps. This was done in Halo 2 and Halo 3, as well, nothing new.

Ramirez

I'm not getting a Pit vibe from that map at all, is this the same vibe that Zealot is supposed to give off of Midship? :lol

Is it possible to block the space part of the map off? I know you could do it with killzones or whatever, but can the shield doors be turned into those gold things from Halo 3 that wouldn't let you through?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ramirez said:
I'm not getting a Pit vibe from that map at all, is this the same vibe that Zealot is supposed to give off of Midship? :lol

Is it possible to block the space part of the map off? I know you could do it with killzones or whatever, but can the shield doors be turned into those gold things from Halo 3 that wouldn't let you through?

I think they just used it as an example of the type of map they wanted to make, that being a symmetrical one.

Kuroyume

Banned
Btw, thanks Big for that Night of Solace 5 min vid. Wasn't going to bother with the campaign challenge last night because I played way too much of that level, but it was so easy and quick because of that video.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Alienshogun said:
On spire there is 1 sniper, one rocket on both sides, then one side gets a grenade launcher, and the other gets a fuel rod. (unless I haven't found the grenade launcher and fuel rod for the other sides.

There is no reason one team should be getting all the power weapons unless your team is all scrubs.

What makes me mad is when people pick up the power weapons (sniper included) and ignore the vehicles.

It may take 4 sniper rounds to kill a banshee, but those 4 rounds are better spent taking it out than getting 4 single kills.
Then my team was made up of:
cHNRa.jpg

I still think the map is poorly designed, especially for territories with little to much cover and the spawns are a complete joke. Especially when they spawn you completely away from the Spire then they expect you to run all the way back to it without getting killed and even if you do make it back to the spire, you're going to get killed by something/someone. The last couple times that I had played on it were completely one sided, not a fun map.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Pete Rock said:
What about the "SHHHHHHHHH" whistling noise even though it's already landed right next to you and has by all approximation stopped traveling whatsoever, let alone at at speeds over 25mph? Every time I hear a grenade near me I think someone turned on a goddamn vacuum, it's so bad.

I understand it from a design standpoint, people are dying due to the explosion radius yet were not understanding their proximity to said damage - I just don't understand how that turns into a whistle of death that scales with the life of the grenade - not the speed or angle at which it travels.

Maybe it's the fuse? LOL I don't know but that's very annoying as well.

Kuroyume

Banned
I think it's trying to do that thing that happens in movies (and irl I guess) when something explodes near someone and their ears have to adjust to normal sound again.

Ramirez said:

Dont ask, maybe it was the turrets. :lol

I dont feel like its a remake or anything like that...just shares some design aspects. Not enough to rule out a Pitt remake in a future map pack though. At least, I hope.

Ramirez

Demoncarnotaur said:
Dont ask, maybe it was the turrets. :lol

I dont feel like its a remake or anything like that...just shares some design aspects. Not enough to rule out a Pitt remake in a future map pack though. At least, I hope.

Yea...if they wanted to make people think of the Pit, why not just remake it, the game could use a spectacular map.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
Maybe it's the fuse? LOL I don't know but that's very annoying as well.

I think that's exactly what it is, that's the tracer that you see when it's thrown too I believe, the fuse burning.

While not "realistic," I've always assumed this is what it was, especially since a plasma grenade does not have the same sound.

Kuroyume said:
I think it's trying to do that thing that happens in movies (and irl I guess) when something explodes near someone and their ears have to adjust to normal sound again.

He's talking about the hiss from the grenade as it flies before it detonates, not the ringing in your ears from a close by explosion.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
I think that's exactly what it is, that's the tracer that you see when it's thrown too I believe, the fuse burning.

While not "realistic," I've always assumed this is what it was, especially since a plasma grenade does not have the same sound.
Yup. This was discussed by Sage on a podcast pre-Beta. People were complaining the frags were too over-powered, and one of the things they did was try to increase players awareness of them, making them easier to see and hear when they're nearby. The trail behind and the hissing were a result of that. Post-Beta they got their slight nerf in addition.

(Nades feel about right to me now - is that the consensus?)

Ramirez

GhaleonEB said:
Yup. This was discussed by Sage on a podcast pre-Beta. People were complaining the frags were too over-powered, and one of the things they did was try to increase players awareness of them, making them easier to see and hear when they're nearby. The trail behind and the hissing were a result of that. Post-Beta they got their slight nerf in addition.

Good lord no, they're still too powerful. I can't count the times I've had maybe one shot put on me and a nade kills me, not to mention they did nothing to stop the spamming of them, they're way too plentiful. Someone told me that if some are lying on the ground, and one goes off around them, they all go off, is that true?

Raide

This weekly is actually getting me to play MP Reach. :lol

Anyone else think that this kind of weekly should be in addition to the other weekly challenges? Have it perminant to offer good rewards if people manage to do 16 challenges a week.

Ramirez said:
Good lord no, they're still too powerful. I can't count the times I've had maybe one shot put on me and a nade kills me, not to mention they did nothing to stop the spamming of them, they're way too plentiful. Someone told me that if some are lying on the ground, and one goes off around them, they all go off, is that true?

No, just grenades that are in the air, which I believe is the same as Halo 3.

Ramirez said:
Good lord no, they're still too powerful. I can't count the times I've had maybe one shot put on me and a nade kills me, not to mention they did nothing to stop the spamming of them, they're way too plentiful.
Yeah, this is my issue. You go into a straight DMR duel, you land four shots, he lands maybe two, and just as you're getting the headshot he throws out a desperate grenade that you can't possibly dodge in a tight environment (unless you Armour Lololololock), and you trade kills.

I think only having one on spawn in the December Arena will be interesting.

Raide said:
Anyone else think that this kind of weekly should be in addition to the other weekly challenges? Have it perminant to offer good rewards if people manage to do 16 challenges a week.
I think I said before there should be bonus for every four dailies you pick up in a given week, so you get +1,000, +2,500, +5,000, +7,500, +10,000, +12,500, +15,000 throughout the week, for a total ~50K potential bonus over the course of a week if you pick up all 28.

I mean you've got the hooks there, why not twist them?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
electricpirate said:
Plasmas can be shot when on the ground and can set off a chain explosion if there are other plasmas around.

LordAlu

Personally, I think grenades should work like melee: if you have any form of shield left at all, a grenade should just get rid of your shields. If you have no shields, it kills you.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:

As long as armor lock is available I have no problem with them, but I have the "melee" feeling about them. If you have shields they should drop shields, if you don't they should kill you.

Right now if you stand on one when it blows up you're toast, and like Ram said, there are just too many of them.

Ramirez said:

Yep, but it's always been like that, in Reach you can actually shoot them to detonate them, even ones that have been tossed.

In Ghaleons videos he posted he even shoots a sticky as it's being thrown at him.

electricpirate said:

No, I'm pretty sure if one goes off on the ground near others, they all go off. I know for a fact it happens in firefight, and I know for a fact in Matchmaking if you shoot one thrown or laying on the ground it will detonate too.

With Reach I find the way people use nades make them especially annoying to die to. They no longer really bounce, and for some other reasons I cant quite put my finger on they seem a lot less accurate, nade placement seems non existant so most people just spam them brute force.

You dont get people using them to strip shields so they can hit you with a headshot as much as you see whole teams spamming all theyre nades at you at once. I know they added those sound effects and stuff to help with nade awareness, but I tend to find it hard to know exactly where it landed and so im finding myself '1 shotted' by nades a bit too often for my liking. Hell even if I know where the thing is gonna land, if im not using the right armour ability im kinda screwed if a whole team spams them.

You can die in 1 nade if you havent got full shields or full health right? This is pretty bad because I could be just missing 1 bar of health or I could just be a slither away from a full shield bar, and 1 nade could kill me. RAAAAGE.

Alienshogun said:
No, I'm pretty sure if one goes off on the ground near others, they all go off. I know for a fact it happens in firefight, and I know for a fact in Matchmaking if you shoot one thrown or laying on the ground it will detonate too.

the last part is correct, but I just tested it in a custom game, and nope. and nades won't detonate other nades that are on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom