• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GhaleonEB said:
It's the equivalent of a challenge about sniping, without telling you that you have to be scoped.

Edit: and done, 8/16 for the week. I hope like hell the Challenges tomorrow are light on MP.
:lol Well put, also at 8/16 and just hit Cole-en-ohl Grade 1.

Raide

Tempest looks interesting. A little smaller than I first thought or maybe its just Bungie hiding in the middle all the time. :lol

GhaleonEB

Interesting they said it was too small for 8 v 8, since I thought it was made for BTB. Looked somewhere between Standoff and Valhalla in size.

Looks gorgeous, too. Fun vid.

GhaleonEB said:
Well that's dumb.
How do you propose they determine you are jetpacking otherwise? This is the simplest and easiest way to code it. I can only think of one alternative: blocking out every level individually with invisible 'zones' into which it is determined a player could not move without jetpacking, which in itself would be an arduous and likely impossible task (and how do you determine whether a player is falling gracefully having just feathered his jetpack, or is falling to his death?), and would not cover regular jetpacking outside of those zones. So you would have to tell the games "if a player kills someone else either while pressing the jetpack button, or is moving through the zones we have painstakingly devoted hours upon hours of time to devising, implementing, and testing -- hours that could have been better spent doing any number of other things -- then award them a point towards the daily challenge!"

The way it is makes sense.

Raide

Shootin' and Lootin' 1500cR
Kill 150 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

Secondary Fire 1000cR
Earn 25 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking.

J.H. Death Machine 1000cR
Kill 10 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking with the Grenade Launcher.

Explosive Ordnance Distribution 1000cR
Earn 3 kills with ordnance weapons in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

GhaleonEB

25 assists? That's like, 10 games or so. :lol
Shake Appeal said:
How do you propose they determine you are jetpacking otherwise?

The way it is makes sense.
If you got in the air via jetpack and get a kill, you increment the Challenge.
Gui_PT said:
Oh god, more assists =\

And what's that last challenge all about? Does it mean you have to use weapons that are already in the map?
Ordnance is heavy weapons. So, rockets or plasma launcher.

Gui_PT

Oh god, more assists =\

And what's that last challenge all about? Does it mean you have to use weapons that are already in the map?

Edit: Thanks Ghaleon

GhaleonEB said:
If you got in the air via jetpack and get a kill, you increment the Challenge.
The game doesn't know what 'air' is, and explaining to it what air is on every map would be a massive, massive effort and very much a waste of time.

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
The game doesn't know what 'air' is,
I understand that. I am not telling you how the game tracks player behavior, I am telling you what I think would make sense given the description of the Challenge. "Jetpacking" should not mean "holding down the jetpack button". It does, though.

At any rate, it's the poster child for a Challenge that screws with player behavior. Jetpackers everywhere, raining AR fire down hoping for a kill. It made MP miserable yesterday, and was no fun at all to get. The ordnance one will be another.

Gui_PT

Hypertrooper said:
I really like todays challenges . I'm going to do everyone. Some one wants to meet-up for the assists?

I'm doing the other ones first, but we can party up if you're interested.

Btw, on an older challenge, we'd get 1000cR for 20 assists, now we get the same for 25. I know the difference isn't much, but it just shows some inconsistency.

Raide

I have the Assist and Ordnance left to do, anyone up for a party? Not sure what the best map for ordnance will be, since loads of people already camp and betray for power weapons. :lol

Re: inconsistency with challenges, I've always wondered if they adjust the cR haul based on completion data. That is, if many people get a given challenge, they might adjust its haul downward to compensate in future, or vice versa.

feel

Gui_PT said:
Oh god, more assists =\
Why are you complaining about mp assists challenges? Don't you play a ton of games per day? You should be getting them easily without even thinking about it. Firefight assist challenges can go die in a fire though.

GhaleonEB said:
At any rate, it's the poster child for a Challenge that screws with player behavior. Jetpackers everywhere, raining AR fire down hoping for a kill. It made MP miserable yesterday, and was no fun at all to get. The ordnance one will be another.
I agree with yesterday's, but people camping, betraying and generally being all-around douchebags when it comes to power weapons is already the norm.

Gui_PT

Letters said:
Why are you complaining about mp assists challenges? Don't you play a ton of games per day? You should be getting them easily without even thinking about it. Firefight assist challenges can go die in a fire though.

If assists were fixed, I wouldn't mind. But they way they work, I have to intentionally not kill a guy when I see him and hope someone else walks by and finishes him off. I know it's my fault for actually trying to get the challenge, no one forces me to do so.

Try to get them completed or not, they're still bad challenges.

Gui_PT said:
I'm doing the other ones first, but we can party up if you're interested.

Btw, on an older challenge, we'd get 1000cR for 20 assists, now we get the same for 25. I know the difference isn't much, but it just shows some inconsistency.
Maybe in 3hours, okay? You could help to get the Rockets or Plasma launcher for the 3 kills. :lol

Striker said:
It was worse in Halo 3. At one point in Team Slayer on Construct during my last moments on that POS map, I viewed theater just to casually count how many grenades were scattered around the gold lift from dead bodies. There were 23 frag grenades just sitting there waiting to be picked up and carelessly tossed around without any train of thought.

They disappear more frequently in Reach, thankfully, but still isn't completely at a desirable position. Halo 2 never felt horrid in grenade spam (outside Midship and its plasma grenade starts).
That's because in H3 the max count for grenades was always set ridiculously high. If you went into Forge on most of the maps, you'd see that the maximum number of grenades allowed were set to nearly triple of what was already on the map. Never understood that one.

I actually had a bit of fun in MM yesterday; played Cliffhanger for the first time and liked it well enough. I'm sure it helps that I went +12, but whatever. Ended up getting 19 assists in 4 games, so today's challenge shouldn't be too tough. Being able to search by skill really seems to make much more of a difference in Reach than it ever did in H3.

Also how have I not seen any hate towards the Firefight change? It lasts so long now, almost impossible to get a perfection...its just not as fun as it used to be...

Am I missing something and there's still a way to play the short version?

feel

dat Tempest!

Really excited for the map now that I realize it's midsized and will be all over the 4v4 playlists alongside Anchor9.

xxjuicesxx said:
Also how have I not seen any hate towards the Firefight change? It lasts so long now, almost impossible to get a perfection...its just not as fun as it used to be...

Score Attack is the short version (15mins). Pretty easy to get a perfect game.

aesop

xxjuicesxx said:

Before the change people were bitching that it was too short and some still want the infinite waves option in matchmaking.

Raide said:
Faster you kill, the faster you get it done. Especially if you have SniperFight. :D
Yeah, but you get waaaay less "game complete" points. I can usually knock out a Sniperfight game in less than the original 12 mins, but I can earn a few hundred extra credits by just taking my time and playing keepaway from the last enemy until the last 30 seconds. It's pretty fun on the larger maps. :lol

Sibylus

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
The game doesn't know what 'air' is, and explaining to it what air is on every map would be a massive, massive effort and very much a waste of time.
Abstractly, it might be accomplished by more complicated conditions to do with the buttons (I assume the system right now is a simple IsAAButtonPressed check). For reasons of having to exclude jumping and other things that would foul a simple automatic system (ie "is player not touching ground right now" check), you might be able to set up something like a IsAADepleting condition, which would enable the condition for jetpack kills to fire. Enable a IsPlayerTouchingGround condition after that point, and once it fires as true it'll disable the jetpack kill condition.

But yeah, the solution Bungie went for is basically the maximum yield for the least amount of effort. Attractive in the view of time and resources.

I'm not a coder, everything above is entirely speculative!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom