• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Botolf said:
Abstractly, it might be accomplished by more complicated conditions to do with the buttons (I assume the system right now is a simple IsAAButtonPressed check). For reasons of having to exclude jumping and other things that would foul a simple automatic system (ie "is player not touching ground right now" check), you might be able to set up something like a IsAADepleting condition, which would enable the condition for jetpack kills to fire. Enable a IsPlayerTouchingGround condition after that point, and once it fires as true it'll disable the jetpack kill condition.

But yeah, the solution Bungie went for is basically the maximum yield for the least amount of effort. Attractive in the view of time and resources.

I'm not a coder, everything above is entirely speculative!

Right, in my ideal setup there would be a condition that trips when jetpack is engaged, then set back when the jetpacker hits the ground.

Yea but I still want the option for short Firefights. I played like 400 firefights and since it went to long firefights I've played like 4...

It's just not fun I want quickies with everyone I really don't want to get to know them.

On the other hand I just met an alright dude in Multi Team who then invited me and played a few games and he was damn good too. We kicked some ass. It was like true bromance.

xxjuicesxx said:
It's just not fun I want quickies with everyone I really don't want to get to know them.

That's my entire approach to life right there.

Question: do we have any concrete evidence that there will be vidmasters included with this map pack?

electricpirate said:
Lies, Even if I PP everyone they just AL, then get stickid 5 seconds later.
:lol

Youre playing it wrong, You just answered your own problem. Gui_PT, Sai Kun, Dani and I can all attest to Multiteam's kill/assist potential.

1. Spawn
2. Run up to pockets of distracted enemies
3. Throw stickies in general direction
4. Armor lock
5. Stickies nab kills while you're safe
6. Armor Lock disengages
7. Run away over victims' corpses for more stickies
8. Rinse, Repeat, Profit

Cuban Legend said:

Youre playing it wrong, You just answered your own problem. Gui_PT, Sai Kun, Dani and I can all attest to Multiteam's kill/assist potential.

1. Spawn
4. Armor lock
6. Armor Lock disengages
8. Rinse, Repeat, Profit

Lol :lol You play like an asshole :)

Cuban Legend said:

1. Spawn
4. Armor lock
6. Armor Lock disengages
8. Rinse, Repeat, Profit

I'm doing it in Team slayer, not multi team ;). Also, I fail to see how that strategy nets any assists.

Cuban Legend said:

1. Spawn
4. Armor lock
6. Armor Lock disengages
8. Rinse, Repeat, Profit

This has to be a troll, this more than anything is proof that nades and armour lock need to be nerfed. :lol

Im on 11/16 challenges now, gonna pass the 25 assists considering its not worth much anyway - yesterday was torture, I played multi team to get it and everyone would stick me then armour lock just as I pp'd them. :lol

I just ended up playing Team Slayer for the assists, AR'd the shit out of people until their shields pop, run away until I see the medal. Also one-shotted people with the sniper on Cliffhanger (lots of people flying yesterday), which was a great intro to the map.

I need to play more like that, I did fairly well yesterday.

GhaleonEB

Well, we're going to brave the roads, and the assists Challenge will just take too damn long to get. So no weekly for me. If I had another hour and a half, I could get it. Alas.

Pretty crappy not only the volume of MP Challenges this week, but the assists one was reused.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
about the forgetacular contest...

... due to file share constraints - as far as i can tell you are limited to one entry unless you have bungie pro, is this correct? i would like to submit one of my maps, but for several game types.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
Well, we're going to brave the roads, and the assists Challenge will just take too damn long to get. So no weekly for me. If I had another hour and a half, I could get it. Alas.

Pretty crappy not only the volume of MP Challenges this week, but the assists one was reused.

You still have the rest of the week bud, or are you leaving home?

GhaleonEB said:

Be safe, I hear it's quite the weather system in your area.

Hey You

op_ivy said:
about the forgetacular contest...

... due to file share constraints - as far as i can tell you are limited to one entry unless you have bungie pro, is this correct? i would like to submit one of my maps, but for several game types.
What?

And your only allowed to submit your map for 1 category, but it could be considered for more.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
You still have the rest of the week bud, or are you leaving home?
Leaving today, getting back Sunday night. So I had to get all of today's and Sunday's to get the weekly. Not enough time to grind for assists, though. (Leaving in 45 minutes.)

Kind of bummed I can't get the first worthwhile weekly challenge on account of one shitty daily, but that's how it goes.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah, I understand that, I've been avoiding the assist ones since they suck. I've only been knocking out two or 3 a day so far and avoiding the shit ones.

Sucks you're going to miss out.

Went into Multiteam just now and my first three choices were Rocket Race on Hemorrhage, Rocket Race on Spire, or Rocket Race on Paradiso.

Kill. Me. Now.

GhaleonEB said:
Kind of bummed I can't get the first worthwhile weekly challenge on account of one shitty daily, but that's how it goes.
I hope Bungie does a weekly challenge like this a little more often, and not just during the holidays. I fully understand the concept of a 'challenge' in that it should be tough to get, but at least give everyone who has familial obligations over the holidays a fair shot at it.

Kuroyume

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Went into Multiteam just now and my first three choices were Rocket Race on Hemorrhage, Rocket Race on Spire, or Rocket Race on Paradiso.

Kill. Me. Now.

What's amazing is when you get something like Slayer on Countdown, Rocket Race on Spire, and Crazy King on Boardwalk and Rocket Race on Spire gets like 8 votes. :lol

Makes me wish I could teleport and slap these people in the face.

As bad as you expected?
Shake Appeal said:

Kill. Me. Now.
I played Rocket Race for the first time (in Reach) recently, had a great time, was shocked by how much better and more of an actual gametype it was.
Not your cup of tea?

Zeouterlimits said:
As bad as you expected?

I played Rocket Race for the first time (in Reach) recently, had a great time, was shocked by how much better and more of an actual gametype it was.
Not your cup of tea?
No, I have played it and it's much better, but 1. it shouldn't be all three voting options, ever, and 2. I'm going in for kill and assist challenges, so RR is kinda a drag. But luckily None of the Above won out and I got to play Crazy King on Asylum, picking up 19 kills and 8 assists.

Shake Appeal said:
Just saw my first Inclement Weather armour effect. It begins. Sigh.
It's really not that bad. I played with a guy a couple of weeks ago that already had it, and it wasn't nearly as distracting as the stupid hearts or the birthday party.

Are you playing Multi by yourself? I thought about getting a few games on it, but no one on my FL is as crappy a player as I am.

electricpirate said:
Right, in my ideal setup there would be a condition that trips when jetpack is engaged, then set back when the jetpacker hits the ground.
The game doesn't know what 'ground' is. How does it differentiate ground from a player touching 'wall' or 'ceiling'? It doesn't know what those are either.

Shake Appeal said:
The game doesn't know what 'ground' is. How does it differentiate ground from a player touching 'wall' or 'ceiling'? It doesn't know what those are either.

Would "Collision on top of a Z" coordinate sound better? The game knows what that is, that's how the game knows when to stop you from falling ;)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Hey You said:

from bungie.net's article and rules for the forgetacular...

"Entries (including all corresponding file(s)) must be available in the Entrant’s Halo: Reach file share at time of submission and remain there through 12/6/10. Entries: (i) must include at least 3 screenshots; (ii) must include at least 1 saved film that demonstrates the specified game-type being played correctly on the map; and (iii) create a “set” on Bungie.net to group all related files together."

so, one submission will fill out your file share completely. if you want to submit multiple submissions you need a larger file share (ie, a bungie pro account). am i wrong on this?

Hey You said:
And your only allowed to submit your map for 1 category, but it could be considered for more.

i think you are right. i thought i read you COULD submit the same map for multiple gametypes, but each submission would have to be in its own separate file set. but now i cant find where i read anything of the sort. heres what b.net says on the matter...

"Entries must specify for which one of the seven distinct categories it was submitted. Entries may not be submitted for more than one category, although Sponsor reserves the right to judge entry in a category other than the one specified by Entrant. "

Pete Rock

Shake Appeal said:

Kill. Me. Now.
I'd pay for this! Instead, my party and I get Crazy King or Oddball cubed instead, which is a tragedy in and of itself.

I'm hoping they throw up an RR playlist in the "community" section w/ the DLC update, easily the most fun I've had with Reach - whether I'm playing with a guest, another xbox user or a party of 8 :D

It's too bad these challenges promote this kind of behavior though, you see it every day... the best was when the 70 needle kills/Firefight was active, nobody read the entire sentence, so you'd have 8 votes for Elite Slayer every game and a large portion of those players would throw up the Sabateur class and just start spamming needles everywhere :lol

Tail wagging the dog, etc

Shake Appeal said:

We cant speculate on that kind of stuff, the same code that specifies its a solid object could be used in programming any potential Jetpacking code.

Personally I think a decent implimentation could be a timer which starts up after the player releases the AA button. If the player earns a kill say a reasonable amount of time after releasing the button it should count as a jetpack kill. The same kind of timer is used in checking for assists so it couldnt be too hard to impliment?

EDIT: To be fair I dont actually think theres too much wrong with how it works now, especially since you only need 10 kills for the challenge.

Welp, I just got another tie on Multiflag CTF on Hemorrhage. And there were people who wanted this map back for whatever reason. smh. Instead of doing what Bungie should've done, and taken the next step with "two bases in a boxed canyon," we got Hemorrhage.

I really, really hope we get Valhalla back with some DLC.

I'm also hoping that Bungie does a title update and fixes the "floatiness" of the Warthog. I was driving it in one game, managed to get some air, but some dude shot me, and one bullet managed to flip my Warthog. That's not right. Bungie had the Warthog right in Halo 3...I dunno why they felt the need to change it.

chess

So many peeps blinded by cR. Throw cR/challenges out of your mind and please tell me reasons for playing Reach.

I can only really think of one or two, playing with friends and possibly Forge.

aesop

chess said:
So many peeps blinded by cR. Throw cR/challenges out of your mind and please tell me reasons for playing Reach.

Play it to have fun? Or is that too obvious.

chess

aesop said:
Play it to have fun? Or is that too obvious.

obviously you play a game to have fun. So tell me what about playing Reach is fun to you.

Personally I think it's only fun socially playing with friends. Not really the game. If I play solo, the game itself, isn't very fun. That's sad. :(

(it's easy for me to throw out player investment because that gimmick does nothing for me)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
chess said:

Reach is by far the best console FPS out at the moment, the only MAJOR problem with Reach is the quitters, which to my delight actually seems to have decreased substantially since I took my break.

COD is still the same COD, Reach while still being Halo, IS a different take on the game, it also takes a bit more skill and teamwork to be good at Halo. Kills are MUCH more satisfying in Reach, also it's the most polished MP experience on the Xbox.

Time will tell, but I don't see another shooter competing for my time until Brink comes out, and then again until Operation flashpoint 3 and Ghost Recon come out.

squidhands said:
It's really not that bad. I played with a guy a couple of weeks ago that already had it, and it wasn't nearly as distracting as the stupid hearts or the birthday party.

Are you playing Multi by yourself? I thought about getting a few games on it, but no one on my FL is as crappy a player as I am.

Add me, I'm not great, but I have a 1.5 KDR.

FourDoor

LTTP but Tempest does look much better in the pseudo vidoc since it showed the outer sides of the map unlike the other previous media videos.

Also I thought I heard in the video that there were new items in Forge for Tempest or was I just hearing things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom