• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
chess said:
So many peeps blinded by cR. Throw cR/challenges out of your mind and please tell me reasons for playing Reach.

I can only really think of one or two, playing with friends and possibly Forge.
Click.

Stop trying to rationalize just because you don't have fun with a game doesn't mean other people can't.

So am I jerk/ass/loser for using and generally enjoying AL? I don't think it's overpowered, but maybe that's because I'm not great at it. :lol Seems like to me, it really enforces team play. If I go in alone, ALing doesn't change anything. I might get a slight bump if I use AL to block a grenade in a hallway or a melee, but AL doesn't really shine until you're running with your team. You go in, mess up the place, weaken shields, AL and let your buddy mop up the rest.

I get all kinds of trashtalk from people post-game and now Bungie's last video ends with "Yeah, Armor Lock's for douches."

chess

Alienshogun said:
Reach is by far the best console FPS out at the moment, the only MAJOR problem with Reach is the quitters, which to my delight actually seems to have decreased substantially since I took my break.

COD is still the same COD, Reach while still being Halo, IS a different take on the game, it also takes a bit more skill and teamwork to be good at Halo. Kills are MUCH more satisfying in Reach, also it's the most polished MP experience on the Xbox.

Time will tell, but I don't see another shooter competing for my time until Brink comes out, and then again until Operation flashpoint 3 and Ghost Recon come out.

Add me, I'm not great, but I have a 1.5 KDR.

I more of trying to figure what is missing. Halo used to consume my daily thoughts and couldn't wait for the kids to get to sleep at night so I could play for hours and hours. Usually 12-2am even while still getting up for work at 6am. No burn out, I've had many breaks. It just seems a few month into Halo 3 that internal Halo flame died. Trying to figure it out. I was excited for Reach to bring it back and it's gone. Just trying to figure out what is missing. I'm wondering if it wasn't ever the game at all. Maybe it was just the social interactions of CE LAN parties and tons of people online only playing halo 2 back in the day. Maybe gaming is too mainstream now. The social side has died in my circle of friends. Maybe I'm just and old fart. lol

aesop

chess said:
obviously you play a game to have fun. So tell me what about playing Reach is fun to you.

Personally I think it's only fun socially playing with friends. Not really the game. If I play solo, the game itself, isn't very fun. That's sad. :(

(it's easy for me to throw out player investment because that gimmick does nothing for me)

Is it really necessary for me to say what it is that I like about the game? Chances are most will just refute my response as noob bullshit and tell me how bad bloom, AA, challenges, credits, etc are as if I haven't heard those sentiments a thousand times already.

I'll just reiterate that I'm playing the game because it's fun for me. If you're not enjoying it, why keep playing? I haven't been playing much lately, but I blame that on ACB.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Epyon MX said:
So am I jerk/ass/loser for using and generally enjoying AL? I don't think it's overpowered, but maybe that's because I'm not great at it. :lol Seems like to me, it really enforces team play. If I go in alone, ALing doesn't change anything. I might get a slight bump if I use AL to block a grenade in a hallway or a melee, but AL doesn't really shine until you're running with your team. You go in, mess up the place, weaken shields, AL and let your buddy mop up the rest.

I get all kinds of trashtalk from people post-game and now Bungie's last video ends with "Yeah, Armor Lock's for douches."

It only belongs in BTB games with vehicles IMO, although using it to negate power weapons is awesome, it really only belongs in BTB.

chess

Dax01 said:
Click.

Stop trying to rationalize just because you don't have fun with a game doesn't mean other people can't.

I'm not saying others can't. I'm just trying to have a discussion to figure it out. I guess it's different for everyone.

Not all discussion around here have to be about having their nose up Bungie's rear region you know. :)

Kuroyume

Banned
You should spend time trying to figure out why you insist on continuing to post in this thread about how much you dislike Reach and how long ago you stopped playing it rather than trying to figure out what's missing from the game.

Epyon MX said:

You're not a jerk for using it. Bungie are the jerks for allowing it in competitive multiplayer.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
chess said:
I'm not saying others can't. I'm just trying to have a discussion to figure it out. I guess it's different for everyone.

Not all discussion around here have to be about having their nose up Bungie's rear region you know. :)

While that's true, your original and follow up posts read as troll posts.

You come off as wanting to know how people can enjoy Halo in a dismissive manner, not like you are looking for conversation.

chess said:

And it's not, so what are you trying to accomplish here?

Raide

Alienshogun said:
Quick question, does the grenade launcher count as a heavy weapon?

Invasion may be the way to go for that challenge.

I think it does yes. As long as it is a collectable weapon in the map somewhere. Thinking Invasion Slayer might be the best bet.

feel

idit4g.gif

a badly injured jetpacker was about to land in front on me just as I was throwing a grenade completely unaware of his presence. At first I was like wtf, but then I rofl'd.

(stuff like this is why I play, Chess)

So what all counts as Ordnance Weapons?

-Rocket Launcher
-Grenade Launcher
-Plasma Rifle
-Focus Rifle
-Fuel Rod Cannon
-Sniper Rifle
-Concussion Rifle

Is this right?

Edit: I cannot spawn with the weapon, say Grenade Launcher in the last round of Invasion? I have to pick up the weapon on the map?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

vhfive

Tashi0106 said:
Arena matchmaking is sooooooooooooooooo slooooooooooooooooooooow
no ones playing it because the system sucks.

I don't know why they got rid of the ranking system from Halo 3. It had issues but it's a x100 better than arena. People want to see how they stack up against other people immediately the don't want to wait 10 days and then have to do it all over again in a month . At best you see your division 2/3 of the time you're playing it. For me it would maybe be like 1/3 (if I actually played) and I don't want to spend all that time getting placed only to have it reset in a couple of days.

Hey You

op_ivy said:
so, one submission will fill out your file share completely. if you want to submit multiple submissions you need a larger file share (ie, a bungie pro account). am i wrong on this?
Oh yeah, I see now. I forgot you need 3 screenshots. I'm not in the US, so I didn't really bother to remember all the rules.

Letters said:
http://min.us/idit4g.gif

a badly injured jetpacker was about to land in front on me just as I was throwing a grenade completely unaware of his presence. At first I was like wtf, but then I rofl'd.

haha that was awesome.

Gui_PT

MMaRsu said:
That's certainly NOT how you play Elite Slayer :lol

I know it wasn't made just to be played like that, but it's a whole lot of fun. Especially if you do it with friends.

And it's the only situation where Armor Lock doesn't annoy me.

This game needs a title update and soon. I'm tired of all the host reconnection shenanigans going on. I just played a game of One Flag on Hemorrhage. It's our turn to attack, the screen goes black, then my team has only ten seconds on the clock left. Basically, we didn't get our turn.

:|

Raide

Dax01 said:
This game needs a title update and soon. I'm tired of all the host reconnection shenanigans going on. I just played a game of One Flag on Hemorrhage. It's our turn to attack, the screen goes black, then my team has only ten seconds on the clock left. Basically, we didn't get our turn.

Yeah, that really sucks. :(

If they can just get the new host selection done faster, that would be so much better. I also hate swapping hosts, only to respawn and move 2 feet, then the host screen again. :lol

Dax01 said:

I can top that :p

Paradiso: Multi-Flag.

~15 seconds in we get black screened. Once we get back the blue team gets a cap. WTF? We thought that maybe they didn't get black screened. Nope. Both flags ended up switching places in the map. One blue dude, who was fairly bad, just happened to spot that and once he picked it up, it capped (as it was on the return zone). By the time any of us realised what was going on, their flag returned and we lost the game 1-0.

Screenshot.ashx

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
any spot that is only accessible with a jetpack needs a soft killzone. bungie, get on it!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hey which Firefight maps have Pro Pipe so I can get this challenge?

nevermind, I see how it works now.

WOW I went back to this game after playing BLOPS for a while and ... just ugh. It's been such a disappointing experience.

First of all, Armor Lock ruins games. I can't believe it's allowed in FFA. It's so unfair.

Secondly, matchmaking doesn't work. I'm a Captain (playing splitscreen with my brother) and I'm playing Colonels and Brigadiers with another splitscreen pair on my team. How the fuck is this matchmaking? This happened for like 5 games in a row. In my 8000+ games of Halo 3, I don't remember the matchmaking being this terrible.

And then I try out Big Team. We play for about a minute. I die. Two people on the other team quit. It goes to black screen and causes my Xbox to lock up. This Xbox has never locked up before.

Great fucking job making a quality game, Bungie. Fuck, I'm so frustrated.

Back to BLOPS I go.

Plywood said:
Yeah well I ran into a Hero yesterday.
That kid keeps popping up every once in a while, with an even crazier rank than the last. Last time someone brought him (or at least, I think it was him) up, he was a Field Marshall.

*sniff* They grow up so fast.

backflip10019 said:
Secondly, matchmaking doesn't work. I'm a Captain (playing splitscreen with my brother) and I'm playing Colonels and Brigadiers with another splitscreen pair on my team. How the fuck is this matchmaking? This happened for like 5 games in a row. In my 8000+ games of Halo 3, I don't remember the matchmaking being this terrible.
Your rank and your Trueskill rank are seperate. Your rank in Halo: Reach is determined by how many credits you have, i.e. by how many games you've played and how many challenges you've completed. Behind the scenes, however, the game keeps track of your TrueSkill rank (basically your wins and losses), and matches you up with players who have similar TrueSkill rankings.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I clicked on the challenge so it can take me to the right playlist. It put me in regular Firefight...this shit takes so fucking long. It's so laggy, I have the challenge completed and I'm thinking about quitting out now lol.

Toddler

Letters said:
idit4g.gif

+1 :lol

So who all is getting the Map Pack from Gamestop? At first I was like "Nah..." but then I saw the flaming helmet for my avatar and was like "Ahh...".

Gui_PT

Tashi0106 said:
I clicked on the challenge so it can take me to the right playlist. It put me in regular Firefight...this shit takes so fucking long. It's so laggy, I have the challenge completed and I'm thinking about quitting out now lol.

All of the FF challenges that don't require Assists or Target Locator can be done on your own on Score attack. Next time you know you can do it on your own and not worry about lag =P

You should stay on though, you get crazy cR for FF Matchmaking.

Raide

Gui_PT said:
All of the FF challenges that don't require Assists or Target Locator can be done on your own on Score attack. Next time you know you can do it on your own and not worry about lag =P

You should stay on though, you get crazy cR for FF Matchmaking.

This!

Nearly all of my FF Challenges get done in SniperFight or Gruntpocalypse. 1 or 2 games and Challenges done!

Striker

backflip10019 said:
Great fucking job making a quality game, Bungie. Fuck, I'm so frustrated.

Back to BLOPS I go.
:lol Brigs/Generals vs. lower opponents happened frequently on Halo 3; never played Social BTB? That was its theme.

Hopefully once Tempest and Breakpoint release, Bungie removes Boardwalk and Countdown from BTB. Really serves no purpose.

Jinjo

cuevas said:
Its the fact that no one plays arena which is a big disappointment since that's what bungie replaced competitive playlists with...

I don't like (the possibility of) the game telling me I'm shit, while I believe otherwise.:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom