• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourDoor

Well it's nearing end of day for me and like some of you I'll be driving shortly to visit family for Thanksgiving.

So before I forget:

Happy Thanksgiving HaloGAF!!!

Don't get turkey juices on your controller over the next couple of days!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Gui_PT said:
All of the FF challenges that don't require Assists or Target Locator can be done on your own on Score attack. Next time you know you can do it on your own and not worry about lag =P

You should stay on though, you get crazy cR for FF Matchmaking.

I quit out already. It said like 15 minutes remaining and I said no more lol

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Striker said:
:lol Brigs/Generals vs. lower opponents happened frequently on Halo 3; never played Social BTB? That was its theme.

Hopefully once Tempest and Breakpoint release, Bungie removes Boardwalk and Countdown from BTB. Really serves no purpose.
Big Team Slayer on Countdown is fun as hell, nobody ever picks it though. :(

Kuroyume

Banned
No one plays Arena probably because it feels like a pressure environment. Even with everyone muted it just feels too different from everything else. Some people take this game too seriously, and I don't want to make some turd cry because I sucked during a game. I want solo arena.

That said the whining about rank/skill and matchmaking is laughable. As others have pointed out, people with high ranks are not high rank because they're good. They're high rank because they play the game alot/farm cR. I feel the competition in this game is just fine. What quality of gamer you run into depends on what playlist you play. Team Slayer (and Arena I'm going to guess) are the most competitive. I like the way things are set up compared to Halo 3. I was often grouped up with low ranks and guests vs. teams of generals in Halo 3.

Striker said:
:lol Brigs/Generals vs. lower opponents happened frequently on Halo 3; never played Social BTB? That was its theme.

Hopefully once Tempest and Breakpoint release, Bungie removes Boardwalk and Countdown from BTB. Really serves no purpose.
True, though I was playing Team Slayer. This is the problem with not having rank. Why am I playing against people who have played dozens more hours than I have?

backflip10019 said:
Secondly, matchmaking doesn't work. I'm a Captain (playing splitscreen with my brother) and I'm playing Colonels and Brigadiers with another splitscreen pair on my team. How the fuck is this matchmaking? This happened for like 5 games in a row. In my 8000+ games of Halo 3, I don't remember the matchmaking being this terrible.
Because the rank is meaningless, it just shows how much someone played (and usually a high rank means they have farmed commendations in campaign/firefight), not how good they are. You are getting matched predominantly by TrueSkill, which is hidden.

The time doesn't matter, the matter, it's your quality of play that does.

Reach is really good at matching close games in my experience. Far and away better than it was in H3.

Zel3

Commendations barely give you anything. They are high rank because they played a lot of firefight and idled. I've got almost all of the campaign commendations maxed and they are a very small part of why I have 2 million credits.

Kuroyume said:
No one plays Arena probably because it feels like a pressure environment. Even with everyone muted it just feels too different from everything else. Some people take this game too seriously, and I don't want to make some turd cry because I sucked during a game. I want solo arena.

That said the whining about rank/skill and matchmaking is laughable. As others have pointed out, people with high ranks are not high rank because they're good. They're high rank because they play the game alot/farm cR. I feel the competition in this game is just fine. What quality of gamer you run into depends on what playlist you play. Team Slayer (and Arena I'm going to guess) are the most competitive. I like the way things are set up compared to Halo 3. I was often grouped up with low ranks and guests vs. teams of generals in Halo 3.

Ranked in Halo 2 + 3 felt pressured, and I loved that pressured environment, made games feel tense, so thats not why its got a low population. Im with Vhfive, the new system just isnt good for a variety of reasons. I dont understand its nuances, it takes too long to register a rank and im not gonna go in with my friends and then play to do well against a formulae that promotes basically being selfish.

Also you cant judge people by theyre rank, especially in a system where ranking up has nothing to do with skill. Judge people by theyre arena rank maybe, but not the Cr system.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Toddler said:
+1 :lol

So who all is getting the Map Pack from Gamestop? At first I was like "Nah..." but then I saw the flaming helmet for my avatar and was like "Ahh...".

Do we know if it's actually animated or not? I get the feeling it's just static.

backflip10019 said:
WOW I went back to this game after playing BLOPS for a while and ... just ugh. It's been such a disappointing experience.

First of all, Armor Lock ruins games. I can't believe it's allowed in FFA. It's so unfair.

Secondly, matchmaking doesn't work. I'm a Captain (playing splitscreen with my brother) and I'm playing Colonels and Brigadiers with another splitscreen pair on my team. How the fuck is this matchmaking? This happened for like 5 games in a row. In my 8000+ games of Halo 3, I don't remember the matchmaking being this terrible.

And then I try out Big Team. We play for about a minute. I die. Two people on the other team quit. It goes to black screen and causes my Xbox to lock up. This Xbox has never locked up before.

Great fucking job making a quality game, Bungie. Fuck, I'm so frustrated.

Back to BLOPS I go.

Funny, I had a completely opposite experience.

148397_1673022276546_1567081135_1635519_5188810_n.jpg

The newest member to my Noble Team :p Jorge's gun refuses to be held by him lol.

kylej

Banned
I wish I could get some half-decent games in Arena. I know, I know, shame on me for playing with pubs but most of my friends have moved on to BLOPS so I have no choice.

It was bad enough in H3 when people would refuse to plug their mics in and call out but now the rating system basically rewards selfish play. The guy who runs around the map as a support player gets shit while the guy who hides with a snipe or a shotgun around a corner gets the glory. Then to top it off your rank disappears at the end of every month... truly this is the age of rewarding player progression.

I went in the other day to get my Onyx back and basically got donged on for a couple hours. Nobody had mics, people quit every other game or betrayed for power weapons. I got into such a funk after a few games that I was basically playing out of spite (and getting donged on harder and harder). The fact that there's no way to force spawns makes strategies almost impossible to develop in Reach; every single game in Arena feels like FFA without the good parts of FFA.

kylej said:
I wish I could get some half-decent games in Arena. I know, I know, shame on me for playing with pubs but most of my friends have moved on to BLOPS so I have no choice.

It was bad enough in H3 when people would refuse to plug their mics in and call out but now the rating system basically rewards selfish play. The guy who runs around the map as a support player gets shit while the guy who hides with a snipe or a shotgun around a corner gets the glory. Then to top it off your rank disappears at the end of every month... truly this is the age of rewarding player progression.

I went in the other day to get my Onyx back and basically got donged on for a couple hours. Nobody had mics, people quit every other game or betrayed for power weapons. I got into such a funk after a few games that I was basically playing out of spite (and getting donged on harder and harder). The fact that there's no way to force spawns makes strategies almost impossible to develop in Reach; every single game in Arena feels like FFA without the good parts of FFA.

I actually would play FFA Arena. The system seems well suited for it, the only downside would be the new assist system would cheapen it, but if that could be fixed then a Reach Arena Lone Wolves playlist would be great.

Striker

kylej said:
I usually don't mind playing anything, however my favorite from Halo 1 and on has been CTF and Assault games. Especially in Halo 2, where everything in the gametypes felt near perfected to me. Nowadays people just aren't around or not online period, people moving on from gaming mostly, in my belief. I would be interested in joining ya, although I have to admit I'm far from a great player. I'm in that mold of "support", though if I don't get high glory I'm all right. As long as the game is fun and the team is enjoying themselves, that's all that matters to me.

Kuroyume

Banned
Valhalla would be redundant. We need maps that play differently, not maps that play slightly differently from maps already in the game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Mikasangelos said:
im online right now. who wants to play?

Could have used you 10 minutes ago.

No one ever seems to be on when I'm on either, need more Halo players for my friends list.

On a side note, getting into a game of BTB with randoms on your side, and 9 people playing together on the other is not fun.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Kuroyume said:
Valhalla would be redundant. We need maps that play differently, not maps that play slightly differently from maps already in the game.

redundant? to what? (dont say hemorrhage)

Alienshogun said:
Could have used you 10 minutes ago.

No one ever seems to be on when I'm on either, need more Halo players for my friends list.

On a side note, getting into a game of BTB with randoms on your side, and 9 people playing together on the other is not fun.

Yea when the fuck do you go on Halo I don't think I've ever seen you on like the past month?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
xxjuicesxx said:
Yea when the fuck do you go on Halo I don't think I've ever seen you on like the past month?

I was just on for about an hour 30 minutes ago!

Then I was on earlier today doing all the dailies.

On the weekends I'm off and on, but on week days I'm sometimes when I get home from school 4 pm onward depending on the kid and wife situation.

After this semester I'll be on a lot between semesters.

I'm not the best, and sometimes I suck, but I've gotta be better than having a random! :lol

I used to play with Cuban and Gui off and on, but Cuban has abandon me, and Gui is a sneaky.

Edit: Oh, and allow me to render that for you. :D http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1424895&player=SometimesImEpic

I'll be one from now till i grab me the daily challenges and then some... GT=GAF.

Alienshogun said:
I was just on for about an hour 30 minutes ago!

Then I was on earlier today doing all the dailies.

On the weekends I'm off and on, but on week days I'm sometimes when I get home from school 4 pm onward depending on the kid and wife situation.

After this semester I'll be on a lot between semesters.

I'm not the best, and sometimes I suck, but I've gotta be better than having a random! :lol

I used to play with Cuban and Gui off and on, but Cuban has abandon me, and Gui is a sneaky.

Edit: Oh, and allow me to render that for you. :D http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1424895&player=SometimesImEpic
I didn't abandon you... I'm sorry if it looked that way to you or anyone (Guiiiiiiiiii, and Dani, and all my other challenge-proficient buddies)

I had to take a break from Reach for about a month until the Cap went down... I was getting burnt out (doing all the daily challenges 1-2 hours after they'd daily reset, it started to get repetitive and the lack of that amazing matchmaking update didnt help...)

I'm back in for the better part just like before though! :D Elite Slayer Multiteam Defence-Force, AHOY! :lol New Matchmaking maps will grow on me eventually, and the playlist update was what I was hoping for and more, so rejoice!

Kujo

Blue Ninja said:
Your rank and your Trueskill rank are seperate. Your rank in Halo: Reach is determined by how many credits you have, i.e. by how many games you've played and how many challenges you've completed. Behind the scenes, however, the game keeps track of your TrueSkill rank (basically your wins and losses), and matches you up with players who have similar TrueSkill rankings.
With BTB, I don't think this is the case a lot of the time. Considering the population is usually not that big, and it requires double the people for a game, I think it greatly favours just getting a full game together than making sure everyone has the same skill level. No doubt there's TrueSkill behind the scenes, but the lower the population, the less it'll work. So many times I'm the only one with a +KD ratio on my team. The other day I get +30 and we still didn't win the slayer game, smh

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Cuban Legend said:
I didn't abandon you... I'm sorry if it looked that way to you or anyone (Guiiiiiiiiii, and Dani, and all my other challenge-proficient buddies)

I had to take a break from Reach for about a month until the Cap went down... I was getting burnt out (doing all the daily challenges 1-2 hours after they'd daily reset, it started to get repetitive and the lack of that amazing matchmaking update didnt help...)

I'm back in for the better part just like before though! :D Elite Slayer Multiteam Defence-Force, AHOY! :lol New Matchmaking maps will grow on me eventually, and the playlist update was what I was hoping for and more, so rejoice!

You know what I think you can do with that elite slayer crap!

RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kuroyume said:
If your referring to Hemorrhage, this is definately not the case. Valhalla is infinitely superior to nostalgic memories of Blood Gulch and Coagulation. Sorry guys.

But I'd rather all-new maps anyways. Maybe even, oh I don't know, on environments that aren't snowy/space/desert/city/forerunner themed/islandy?

As much as I hated them, Colossus, Backwash and Waterworks were damn cool looking and unique maps. Guardian, The Pit and Longshore are also examples of when different aesthetics are applied that make the map look distinct. When Halo breaks free of it's obligation to adhere to classical Halo aesthetics, maps will definitely look much more interesting.

Grr. Can't get an assist today to save my life.

My teammates are getting all of them, I'm getting credited for some kills that aren't mine. Oh well.

GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB said:
Well, we're going to brave the roads...
BAD IDEA

roads > Ghaleon

We made it 170 of the 450 miles before having to turn around, amidst a gaggle of overturned cars. That was the longest trip to nowhere (340 miles round trip) I've ever done.

Looking back on the past day's posts I came across a little crabby. Sorry 'bout that. I think hell week at work combined with hellish holiday travel plans and a day spent trying to kill guys while jetpacking.

On the plus side, I can pick and choose Challenges to fulfill the Weekly now. :lol

Kuroyume

Banned
Buckethead said:

My teammates are getting all of them, I'm getting credited for some kills that aren't mine. Oh well.

Play Multi Team? I average like 6 a game there.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
BAD IDEA

roads > Ghaleon

We made it 170 of the 450 miles before having to turn around, amidst a gaggle of overturned cars. That was the longest trip to nowhere (340 miles round trip) I've ever done.

Looking back on the past day's posts I came across a little crabby. Sorry 'bout that. I think hell week at work combined with hellish holiday travel plans and a day spent trying to kill guys while jetpacking.

On the plus side, I can pick and choose Challenges to fulfill the Weekly now. :lol

Trying to drive over the Cascades?

Glad you made it back in one piece.

Mikasangelos said:

Awesome, thanks!

Buckethead said:

Play Multiteam.

Striker

enzo_gt said:
As much as I hated them, Colossus, Backwash and Waterworks were damn cool looking and unique maps. Guardian, The Pit and Longshore are also examples of when different aesthetics are applied that make the map look distinct. When Halo breaks free of it's obligation to adhere to classical Halo aesthetics, maps will definitely look much more interesting.
All the Halo games usually equip with the aesthetics from the campaign. Halo 2 defines this nicely with Delta Halo-Sanctuary, Outskirts-Turf, High Charity-Gemini, etc. All the Halo 2 maps were quite distinct and, more importantly, played awesome. I don't care generally how a map looks if it's going to play great. Orbital looks good, but plays like a week old dog turd.

op_ivy said:
redundant? to what? (dont say hemorrhage)
Redundant to having already so many symmetrical maps. Paradiso, Hemorrhage, and Tempest all are your two side gaming. They need a one side map that fits a strong bill for 1-flag and 1-bomb. Not sure what they'll do with Breakpoint...

feel

It really sucks that there's no constant on-screen warning anymore when your flag is taken or away from base. I easily lose track of wtf is going on, bah I'll just stick to slayer when not with a talkative and coordinating group.

Ramirez

kylej said:

The game is atrocious when it comes to competitive play, I've given up on Arena. Maybe the removal of AL will help a bit, but the spawns are still SO bad. People shouldn't be spawning behind and in front of people on a regular basis like that video you posted the other day, I see that all the time and am the victim of it as well.

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:
The game is atrocious when it comes to competitive play, I've given up on Arena. Maybe the removal of AL will help a bit, but the spawns are still SO bad.

Yeah I think I've hit my competitive limit too. It will always be fun to crap on terrible kids in MM but trying to play a real game of Halo is pointless. There's zero rhyme or reason to the spawns. It is literally impossible to have any meaningful strategies when the game spawns enemies above, below and on top of you.

I never ever ever have played a game that feel like it rewards you less for having skill. Have really good aim? Welp, your enemies can now turn invincible whenever they want to. Here are grenades that instantly bail out the scrub who can't DMR you. Here's a guy spawning behind you while you're still trying to regain shields. Here's a melee system that nullifies your upper-hand. Bleh.

But hey, at least shield doors are making a comeback.

Hey You

Black Friday Bungie Store Deals :
On Black Friday, we’re dropping some new Bungie Aerospace gear into the Bungie Store. Just in time for the Holidays, we’re also dropping prices on a few of our favorite things. Get it while it’s hot, though – these Black Friday Bungie Store deals run from 11/26 through 11/28 only (newness available while supplies last).

New Stuff!

* Bungie Aerospace Tee
* Greetings from Aerospace Tee
* Per Audacia Ad Astra Tee
* Aerospace Baseball Tee
* Superintendent Ornament

Deep Discounts!

* All Bonobo tees (was $19.00, now $12.99)
* All Property of Bungie tees (was $19.00, now $12.99)
* All Many Moods tees (was $19.00, now $12.99)
* All Superintendent tees (was $19.99, now $14.99)
* All Bungie Classic Ringer tees (was $19.99, now $14.99)
* All Marathon Black Hoodies (was $39.99, now $19.99)
* Bungie Crest Flashlight (was $9.99, now $7.99)

And don’t just finger the merch. Get over to the Bungie Store this Friday and buy your mom something nice this year. She totally deserves it! (Trust us.)

Bungie Store Black Friday Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom