• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since I heard about Breakpoint, that's the map I've been most worried about. I'm a fan of Invasion, and have no doubt it'll be at least as competent as Boneyard in that regard, but what I am worried about is how it'll work as a BTB map. Given how Spire and Boneyard turned out in that regard, I think you understand why I feel this way.

However, Breakpoint is pretty symmetrical, so it may work out in BTB better than any other Invasion maps.

The skybox on Breakpoint is beautiful, but less so than Anchor 9 and Tempest I think. When it comes to skyboxes: Tempest > Anchor 9 > Breakpoint

One thing, though, and I hate to be mentioning this, but I think there are some framerate problems on Breakpoint. I don't claim to know a lot about framerate and what causes them and such, and I hardly notice stuff like dips between 30 fps and 29 fps, but I've come across points where the framerate seems to take a dip (but not too badly). Both times when I load up the map and first spawn, I see this stuttering slowness that wears off rather quickly. What was more noticeable, though, was when I was flying around in the Falcon and was overlooking the map, I encountered that same stuttering slowness in some (but not all) areas. However, when I went back on foot and overlooked those same areas, the stuttering didn't happen. Weird. It's not terrible or bad by an means, but it might create a few problems here and there.

Mikasangelos said:
gafyetiunicorn.png

:D:D:D:D

Dax01 said:
One thing, though, and I hate to be mentioning this, but I think there are some framerate problems on Breakpoint. I don't claim to know a lot about framerate and what causes them and such, and I hardly notice stuff like dips between 30 fps and 29 fps, but I've come across points where the framerate seems to take a dip (but not too badly). Both times when I load up the map and first spawn, I see this stuttering slowness that wears off rather quickly. What was more noticeable, though, was when I was flying around in the Falcon and was overlooking the map, I encountered that same stuttering slowness in some (but not all) areas. However, when I went back on foot and overlooked those same areas, the stuttering didn't happen. Weird. It's not terrible or bad by an means, but it might create a few problems here and there.
Are you looking at this in Forge or in an actual game? Framerate issues are quite common with all the spawns and objective markers visible.

GhaleonEB

I was feeling crummy and considering going home after lunch. A couple of deadlines just got pushed to tomorrow so my afternoon cleared up. This thread made me feel even crummier. Time to ship off and, um, rest at home for a bit.

GhaleonEB said:
I was feeling crummy and considering going home after lunch. A couple of deadlines just got pushed to tomorrow so my afternoon cleared up. This thread made me feel even crummier. Time to ship off and, um, rest at home for a bit.
*hugs* Don't I know those days.
Mint tea helped mine today.

vhfive

quickly looks at pms...

oh well

not so subtle hint

In other news I also didn't get my forgetacular submission done on time (I've been super busy working 2 retail jobs in the busiest time of the season). Do we know if there are going to be more contests like this?

Hey You

vhfive said:
In other news I also didn't get my forgetacular submission done on time (I've been super busy working 2 retail jobs in the busiest time of the season). Do we know if there are going to be more contests like this?
A contest on the scale of this one?
I wouldn't hold my breath

vhfive

Tashi0106 said:
I would hope that there are contests pretty often.
yea me too maybe not on this size (just focusing on one type for example) but I'm hoping for around every 3 months.

Also <3 David Ellis

Tashi0106 said:
I would hope that there are contests pretty often.

Im half and half, getting good Forge maps into matchmaking is awesome, but I dont want matchmaking to be saturated by them. Playing on real maps is nice once in a while, dont want to be staring at forgeworld peices that much.

aesop

Can't wait for the new maps tomorrow.

To those who have been gifted the maps early: Are we just getting driftwood and new rocks in the Forge pallet, or is there more?

Raide

aesop said:
Can't wait for the new maps tomorrow.

To those who have been gifted the maps early: Are we just getting driftwood and new rocks in the Forge pallet, or is there more?

I need to know this also! Need more Forge space!!!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
bobs99 ... said:
Im half and half, getting good Forge maps into matchmaking is awesome, but I dont want matchmaking to be saturated by them. Playing on real maps is nice once in a while, dont want to be staring at forgeworld peices that much.
Yea but if the Forge maps are better the Bungie ones would it matter to you? It wouldn't to me

Tashi0106 said:
Yea but if the Forge maps are better the Bungie ones would it matter to you? It wouldn't to me

Oh nah, good gameplay comes before aesthetics, but with Halo 3 I found that most forge maps had a tendency of sucking. I guess Reach really needs the maps though, I personally would LOVE to see fan made forge remakes of older maps make it into matchmaking.

Also what other new forge stuff has Tempest got? I half remember them confirming new building blocks but I cant remember?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Shake Appeal said:
Wait, the palette is exactly the same otherwise? That's kinda disappointing.

Pretty much.

Like Forgeworld, the map is massive but the playable area is small - Bungie make great huge stonking skyboxes.

reacum.jpg

rec2.jpg

Gui_PT

Dax01 said:
I prefer sometime tonight, like sometime after 8 PM EST. I got some studying to do and other things to take care of.

Problem is I have to get up at 7 am, so going to bed late isn't a good option. But I'll try to stay up as long as possible.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Breakpoint is a moderately sized level. To give you a sense of scale, the entire level fits into the niche between two of these Forerunner pylons - towering over over the entire level. You can't even see the play space.

reac3-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom