• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Well, now I can't be mean to Urk, the onesie just came in the mail. :lol "Bungie baby" on the back is quite awesome, thanks man. I might pop in the ole Reach disc tonight and dong on you guys if someone comes through for me. :lol

Willeth

When dicking around with Dani, we noted that the Invasion: Breakpoint variant (carrying the bomb rather than just sitting in a territory) isn't included in the download - presumably you have to save it from matchmaking. I imagine stage two will play completely differently but there's no way to tell until tomorrow.

Ramirez said:
Well, now I can't be mean to Urk, the onesie just came in the mail. :lol "Bungie baby" on the back is quite awesome, thanks man. I might pop in the ole Reach disc tonight and dong on you guys if someone comes through for me. :lol

Woah what, that wasnt just sarcasm on Urks part!?? Thats awesome but I have to ask, Bungie, where are my free gifts!?? :lol

Odd question, but can you get the DLC achievments in custom games? I would probably boost some of the more annoying ones just to get them out of the way if so.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I really need to get into this HaloGAF thing for all the freebies you dude's get :(

I bought every Halo on release Urk, have some sympathy!

Devin shall (perhaps) provide where thy Bungle gods have failed to.

Otherwise, are the forge world items on Tempest on par with the amount in Forge World or less?

vhfive

bobs99 ... said:
Woah what, that wasnt just sarcasm on Urks part!?? Thats awesome but I have to ask, Bungie, where are my free gifts!?? :lol

Odd question, but can you get the DLC achievments in custom games? I would probably boost some of the more annoying ones just to get them out of the way if so.
all new achievements require matchmaking

enzo_gt said:
I really need to get into this HaloGAF thing for all the freebies you dude's get :(

Devin shall (perhaps) provide where thy Bungle gods have failed to.

Otherwise, are the forge world items on Tempest on par with the amount in Forge World or less?
everything in forgeworld is in tempest plus 2 rocks a couple pieces of driftwood.
Also the mancanons look different but act the same.

Sai-kun

Banned
ZayneH said:
This better mean my code better not be "oops sai borked it", when I get it.

...please.

The downloading thing was on my end, had nothing to do with the code given to me. You'll get yours!

Also, the only achievements I need now are the Rocket Race one, Double Kill from the grave, the Stockpile one, and the Breakpoint one.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one that really misses the sound of SMGs tearing into people?

On a nice receiver and speakers they sound so rad.

I guess the pro-pipe sounds cool, but its just not the same

Hey halo Gaf, I figured I"d drop this in here quickly,

I've been growing a Mostache for charity, it would be awesome for Men everywhere (goes to support prostate cancer research and the livestrong charity) if you would donate a few bucks.

101115-093433.jpg

101129-162011.jpg

http://us.movember.com/mospace/929772/

<3 you Halo Gaf.

Gui_PT

Sai-kun said:
The downloading thing was on my end, had nothing to do with the code given to me. You'll get yours!

Also, the only achievements I need now are the Rocket Race one, Double Kill from the grave, the Stockpile one, and the Breakpoint one.

Wat. How did you get the other ones?

Gui_PT

vhfive said:
regular matchmaking. you don't need to be on a noble map for most of them

Sweet, thanks. Didn't think you could get them before tomorrow.

So what's the deal with the stockpile one? How does it actually work?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
vhfive said:
everything in forgeworld is in tempest plus 2 rocks a couple pieces of driftwood.
Also the mancanons look different but act the same.
Aw man, so no different aesthetics to the forge items? That's what I wanted most. Maybe the next map will have a non-forerunner themed map with a completely new forge set of aesthetics.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
Maybe you should get on AIM once in a while... :p

Downloading the maps now. Who else has these? Lets try them out.

GhaleonEB

Tempest is one of those maps that I know is going to play great just from looking at it and giving it a drive through. It's an intuitive layout, about midway between Valhalla and Standoff in size, with some nice routes and interesting sight lines. I think it will work very well for BTB, and I can't wait to do so tomorrow. And it's drop-dead gorgeous to boot.

I was a bit disappointed to see there's not a canvas variant baked in, so I spent some time flying around deleting everything. The "Delete All" option doesn't work on all default objects, so I'm missing four rocks and two DMRs, but think I have everything else gone. I'm sure a perfect canvas will pop up on the first day, but this was useful for me to see how flexible the space is. It's not a canvas map (and wasn't intended to be), but I think some good variations will pop up quickly.

Another odd omission: the Revenant isn't in the Forge palette, nor are any of the civilian vehicles. I was hoping that truck from the first level would make a cameo for some Race variants. But I <3 me some Revenant. Alas.

Onto the others. This map alone will get me into BTB, I think.

Thanks for the man-love, Urk.

aesop

enzo_gt said:

Same here, guess I don't hate on the game enough to get freebies. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
I was hoping that truck from the first level would make a cameo for some Race variants.
It's a great shame that you can't race forklifts.

aesop said:
Same here, guess I don't hate on the game enough to get freebies. :lol
I think Bungie have a set list or something of HaloGAFers, so it's probably hard to break onto it. I'm not on it, for instance; I got into the beta early because of urk's personal kindness.

aesop

Trasher said:
I was about to post a screenshot of the top posters in the thread, but then I realized I had fallen out of the top ten. :lol

30 posts bitching about how bad AL is should only count as one.

Shake Appeal said:
I think Bungie have a set list or something of HaloGAFers, so it's probably hard to break onto it. I'm not on it, for instance; I got into the beta early because of urk's personal kindness.

I think it is huge seniority, well besides Dax, but he touched Bungie's
door
knob. Or at least his dad did.

Shake Appeal said:
It's a great shame that you can't race forklifts.

I think the TJ's have an inside man, but isnt it Ghaleon that usually gets the map pack codes from Bungie and throws them out? He probably gets a REALLY limited number of the things, and you cant blame him for not throwing you a bone.

Either way, I dont think hating on the game or praising it should affect your chances. Im not gonna sit here praising the game in the hopes of free stuff when I could be criticising it and seeing the game become more fun as Bungie take action. Arena season 4 without armour lock is definetly a change for the best thats probably come about from all the whining. :lol

CrazedArabMan said:
door
knob.
If it's huge seniority, I was posting in HaloGAF threads since before Halo 3's beta. ;)

bobs99 ... said:
Either way, I dont think hating on the game or praising it should affect your chances.
Yeah, absolutely. Bungie have always been very good at rewarding their long-term HaloGAF fans, probably recognizing that the people who are most vocal about the game (e.g. EazyB) are in many cases the ones who are playing it and care about it the most.

FourDoor

electricpirate said:
Hey halo Gaf, I figured I"d drop this in here quickly,

I've been growing a Mostache for charity, it would be awesome for Men everywhere (goes to support prostate cancer research and the livestrong charity) if you would donate a few bucks.

http://us.movember.com/mospace/929772/

<3 you Halo Gaf.

Thanks for participating in Movember EP. I have a couple friends doing the same.

CrazedArabMan said:
door
knob. Or at least his dad did.
My resolution for the new year will be to touch Bungie's doorknob at their new studio.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Thanks for the NMP code, Ghaleon! :) Won't be able to play it until later tonight, though.

And I'll have 15 codes of my own to give out tomorrow. :D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shake Appeal said:
Damn. Hope urk can get all of the extended HaloGAF family an early christmas present.

Otherwise we may have to get desperate.
Domino Theory said:
Thanks for the NMP code, Ghaleon! :) Won't be able to play it until later tonight, though.

:D

29th on the list of posters. SMH, I thought I was higher than that.

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
I think the TJ's have an inside man, but isnt it Ghaleon that usually gets the map pack codes from Bungie and throws them out?
I did and did, but the number of active posters is a multiple of the codes available. I send them out quietly so as to minimize thrash on the forum. I try to send to a mix of regulars and folks who haven't gotten such goodies before (that I know of). Apologies to anyone (that would be almost everyone) left out, but hey, they hit tomorrow. Soon!(TM)

It's obviously hard to tell from just flying around the maps on my lonesome. But my initial take is that each of these three maps will be the best map in their intended slot. Tempest is far and away the best BTB map, Breakpoint's layout is fantastic in how it loops around, which should give it some great flow (something the shipping Invasion maps struggle with) and I really like Anchor 9's structure, even though it's not squarely in my preferred map size. Similar in size to The Pit, but more compartmentalized in the sides. And of course, you can block off outer space.

I think the map pack will do a lot to refresh the playlists.

kylej

Banned
need a 4th. send jelyk a message.

Nothing makes you feel like more of a scrub than playing after a week off. This is some ugly stuff on my part.

GhaleonEB said:
I did and did, but the number of active posters is a multiple of the codes available. I send them out quietly so as to minimize thrash on the forum. I try to send to a mix of regulars and folks who haven't gotten such goodies before (that I know of). Apologies to anyone (that would be almost everyone) left out, but hey, they hit tomorrow. Soon!(TM)

It's obviously hard to tell from just flying around the maps on my lonesome. But my initial take is that each of these three maps will be the best map in their intended slot. Tempest is far and away the best BTB map, Breakpoint's layout is fantastic in how it loops around, which should give it some great flow (something the shipping Invasion maps struggle with) and I really like Anchor 9's structure, even though it's not squarely in my preferred map size. Similar in size to The Pit, but more compartmentalized in the sides. And of course, you can block off outer space.

I would just like to point out that I edited my post, but obviously not quick enough:

He probably gets a REALLY limited number of the things, and you cant blame him for not throwing you a bone.

You gifted me a Reach beta code, I still owe you one for that!

Either way, its good to read the positive map impressions, this might be the thing to get me to finally foray back into multiplayer. Ive been a Firefight player for all too long, thats not my natural habitat. :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GhaleonEB said:

Its cool Ghaleon, freebies are freebies. Though answer me this: How well do you think the sniper is balanced on Tempest? I don't want another Hemorrhage sniper kind of ordeal.

And it's a shame to hear that Anchor 9 is really compartmentalized. Looking forward to that most.

aesop

enzo_gt said:
And it's a shame to hear that Anchor 9 is really compartmentalized. Looking forward to that most.

Really not much of a surprise after hearing the comments from the previews and quick looks.

enzo_gt said:
Its cool Ghaleon, freebies are freebies. Though answer me this: How well do you think the sniper is balanced on Tempest? I don't want another Hemorrhage sniper kind of ordeal.

There's a sniper on Tempest? Didn't see it in my (brief) walk-through.

Edit: Apparently it is. Anyway, even though I didn't know there was a sniper on there, snipers won't be dominating the map like Hemorrhage. The map is hilly and has plenty of cover.

GhaleonEB

enzo_gt said:

I just did an initial fly/drive/run through the maps, and haven't really evaluated stuff like sniper lines yet. The twisted S shape of the map does naturally limit the range of the sniper, though (which I think is a good thing). And each side has access to a tunnel that will let them bypass the middle entirely.

I admit I didn't really grasp the layout of Breakpoint from the pictures, though I should have in retrospect. It's basically a big V, with a more open side on the right, buildings on the left, and some tunnels connecting the two down the center. There appears to be a good mix of cover and long sight lines, but I can never really tell those things without some games. Conceptually, I like how players will spawn with the different phases spread out in front of them, rather than having to progress forward across the entire span of the map ala Boneyard. It should reduce the kind of long treks between areas of the map a LOT.

Anchor still has a fair number of open areas, especially down the middle. But there is a mix of rooms and stairways on the side that are pretty small. But those don't make up more than a third of the map or so.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax01 said:

Edit: Apparently it is. Anyway, even though I didn't know there was a sniper on there, snipers won't be dominating the map like Hemorrhage. The map is hilly and has plenty of cover.

:lol That's because you don't see a gun unless it's an AR :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dax01 said:

I could've swore there was 2 on the map no? I don't remember where I heard this.

MrDaravon

Domino Theory said:

Did you get the codes from Gamestop? I was told that I couldn`t pre-order more than one due to how it ties to the new card/account thing they have going now. I have seen some other chatter online that their Gamestops did not even know how to do the pre-orders though, so it may just be a local store failing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom