• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zeouterlimits said:
So you feel ES is okay as is? With AL & Stickies?
Why can't/shouldn't ES be competitive or held in the same regard as the Slayer/Pro Slayer variants?

Too out of control. A stick should be a death no matter what in competitive play, its too much of a sacrifice trying for one while being shot if you nail it it should count. They can just armorlock remove it...thats BS. I also doubt they would ever change the way armor lock works so not much can be done. I just feel its a bit overpowered compared to everything else besides maybe Sprint/Evade and its really random and gameplay changing to be in an Arena or a MLG loadout or competitive list.

Plus all the other shit it can do, deneedle, vehichle destroyer, melee winner, so on.

Edit.

Not really out of control I mean like too many variables. Like why I don't consider BTB to be competitive, there's way too much stuff going on thats out of your control, you don't have as much power over the game as you would like to bet on ya know?

xxjuicesxx said:
Too out of control. A stick should be a death no matter what in competitive play, its too much of a sacrifice trying for one while being shot if you nail it it should count. They can just armorlock remove it...thats BS. I also doubt they would ever change the way armor lock works so not much can be done. I just feel its a bit overpowered compared to everything else besides maybe Sprint/Evade and its really random and gameplay changing to be in an Arena or a MLG loadout or competitive list.
So are we not agreed that it should be toned down in a remove it from Elite Slayer manner too?

Elite slayer would be fun if there were only needler rifle + pp as a start weapon. :/ 'cause everyone is choosing the damn needler with AL or AC :/

Zeouterlimits said:
So are we not agreed that it should be toned down in a remove it from Elite Slayer manner too?

I never consider/ed Elite Slayer competitive, but yes if you were to make a more simplified Elite Slayer that is stripped down to settings that most reward characteristics that are considered to prove skill in Halo Reach, yes. :lol

I say let that gametype be crazy though.

Wheres the playlist!?

Hypertrooper said:
Elite slayer would be fun if there were only needler rifle + pp as a start weapon. :/ 'cause everyone is choosing the damn needler with AL or AC :/
It also doesn't help when a Daily Challenge has you running around with an automatic weapon. Needless to say, it was the easiest challenge this side of just signing on with a bnet-linked account.

Also, I don't get the hate for Cliffhanger. I've played a couple of TS games on it and rather enjoyed myself. Big thanks to Tashi for showing me The Way of the Hologram. :D

Ascension can go right back to Halo 2 where it belongs. bleh

krakov

Just got that long range DMR kill on Shake Appeal, that is probably the first time I've seen someone from here in MM that I recognize.

On another note, I hope we get the new playlist soon, not sure how much more Spire I can take.

krakov said:
Just got that long range DMR kill on Shake Appeal, that is probably the first time I've seen someone from here in MM that I recognize.

On another note, I hope we get the new playlist soon, not sure how much more Spire I can take.
Was that this game? Glad I could help. :lol

I got my long-range kill and AL ghost kill in that one too.

NOKYARD

squidhands said:
Big thanks to Tashi for showing me The Way of the Hologram. :D
My preferred AA since day one. I discovered its value on my first Legendary run of Nightfall in the Campaign and have stuck with it since.

So, i purchased the map pack. When does the download actually start?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I think in order to fix the issue with diluted playlist these are some things which should happen:

Living Dead/Rocket Race/Wacky Gametype X gets an Actionsack double cR weekend playlist.

Team Slayer and Team Objective combine to be Team Scrimmage/Training and some of you might be against that but honestly some of the best times I had in H2 were in Team Training and if people want their slayer only fix they should do it in Team Arena.

Team Sniper and Team SWAT combine into one playlist to make Team Precision, now I'm kinda iffy on this one cause while both playlist are about headshots they both provide different experiences cause of the weapons the player spawns with.

Plywood said:
...and if people want their slayer only fix they should do it in Team Arena.
I think you're onto something there, honestly. Kill Team Slayer, force people to get serious about it, improve the Arena population and experience for everyone.

Shake Appeal said:
I think you're onto something there, honestly. Kill Team Slayer, force people to get serious about it, improve the Arena population and experience for everyone.

The Arena has a multitude of problems of its own, its low population speaks for itself, forcing people to play it wont help matters, your more likely to just people off Halo. :lol I would personally rather just go play black ops if the Arena was my only way to get my slayer fix.

Im a competative guy and I dislike the Arena because I think its a flawed system that brings out the worst in Halo gameplay. Imagine what people who hate ranked would think if that was there only option. :lol

Zeouterlimits said:
I'd be in with that too to an extent. Arena could use a population boost/re-promotion, make it a better core part of MM.

But theres a reason why the Arena is so low population. People dont like it, you cant just force the majority of people to play what they dont like in order to keep the LOW population that plays the Arena happy. :lol

aesop

Shake Appeal said:

I don't like this idea. I like slayer with all the goodies, not the stripped down version folks call 'pro.'

Plywood said:
I think in order to fix the issue with diluted playlist these are some things which should happen:

Living Dead/Rocket Race/Wacky Gametype X gets an Actionsack double cR weekend playlist.

Team Slayer and Team Objective combine to be Team Scrimmage/Training and some of you might be against that but honestly some of the best times I had in H2 were in Team Training and if people want their slayer only fix they should do it in Team Arena.

Team Sniper and Team SWAT combine into one playlist to make Team Precision, now I'm kinda iffy on this one cause while both playlist are about headshots they both provide different experiences cause of the weapons the player spawns with.

I like all three ideas.

Y'all need to play Arena more! It's the best playlist!

The problem with combining Team Slayer and Objective, of course, is that no one will ever vote for Objective gametypes.

Ugh, I really don't know if I want to get a 1600 points card just to fill up the 20 points I need for the map as money right now is tight with school, choices suck. :/

aesop

Plywood said:

I really like your suggestions here. Only thing I take issue with is your Team Precision idea. I like SWAT again now that it's in its own playlist but I really despise Team Snipers.

CrazedArabMan said:
Ugh, I really don't know if I want to get a 1600 points card just to fill up the 20 points I need for the map as money right now is tight with school, choices suck. :/

You can buy 400 at a time through XBL.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
So rumor has it that 343 is remaking Halo CE. Sorry if already posted. Post over at HBO about it.

Gui_PT

Sucks that I missed out on customs but it was too late for me =\

Hope you guys had fun!

Edit: Btw, the new achievements are still blocked, right?

Arena is such a different beast than traditional ranked play lists in Halo, and trying to force team slayer players into it would just break it IMO. Imagine if the playlists of halo 3 had forced everyone into MLG if they wanted to play team slayer? seriously, shit would just be broken.

What I'd rather have is 3 tiers, Team casual (Mix of slayer and objective modes), Team Slayer (current form) Team Arena (current form).

Removing Team slayer would probably create the greatest backlash in the history of Halo :lol.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
DLC Playlist Gametypes

Slayer
Slayer DMRs
Slayer Pro
Elite Slayer
Snipers
Stockpile
Stockpile Pro
Territories
3 Plots

Neutral Bomb Assault
One Bomb Assault
One Flag CTF
Multiflag CTF
Classic CTF
Multiflag Pro
Headhunter
Crazy King
Crazy King Pro
Hot Potato

Not bad.

Calm Killer said:
So rumor has it that 343 is remaking Halo CE. Sorry if already posted. Post over at HBO about it.

Never heard that rumour before.

Why the heck do folks give any weight to this remake crap? Every week it's the same deal. Same rumour, same unnamed BS sources. Same 12 year olds hearing it for the first time and telling everyone on Bnet. Le sigh.

MrDaravon

Gui_PT said:
Edit: Btw, the new achievements are still blocked, right?

People in here were saying that some of them aren't specific to the new maps and they were able to get them, so probably not.

Also are we seriously talking about removing Team Slayer :lol :lol :lol

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Dani said:
Never heard that rumour before.

Why the heck do folks give any weight to this remake crap? Every week it's the same deal. Same rumour, same unnamed BS sources. Same 12 year olds hearing it for the first time and telling everyone on Bnet. Le sigh.

Wu posted it so I relayed it. That is all.

Consider me extremely unexcited about a Halo 1 remake, its clear that they would change the fundamentals of the game and what I loved about it then wouldnt be present. Halo 1 with a new sandbox!?? HELL NO!

If they gave us a straight port of the multiplayer as a xbox live game I would be overjoyed though. Unfortunatly if they just gave us a straight port they would get a lot of hate for it by non Halo people, so I doubt they will do that. Theyre probably gonna end up changing a bunch of stuff. :(

krakov

Shake Appeal said:
Was that this game? Glad I could help. :lol

I got my long-range kill and AL ghost kill in that one too.

That's the one, range was about as long as between the recievers I think. Haven't had the luck to get a ghost charge me since the update but I guess it'll happen again eventually.

NOKYARD said:
My preferred AA since day one. I discovered its value on my first Legendary run of Nightfall in the Campaign and have stuck with it since.

So, i purchased the map pack. When does the download actually start?
I think it'll definitely be my staple AA. Last week's Weekly Challenge got me hooked into multiplayer, and so far I'm enjoying myself and the awesomeness that is 'search by skill'. I'm loving the constant response to my fake self running toward an enemy; it gives me that edge that I so desperately need.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
electricpirate said:
Arena is such a different beast than traditional ranked play lists in Halo, and trying to force team slayer players into it would just break it IMO. Imagine if the playlists of halo 3 had forced everyone into MLG if they wanted to play team slayer? seriously, shit would just be broken.

What I'd rather have is 3 tiers, Team casual (Mix of slayer and objective modes), Team Slayer (current form) Team Arena (current form).

Removing Team slayer would probably create the greatest backlash in the history of Halo :lol.
Well first off, MLG has objective gametypes as well as slayer.

Next, as for having 3 tiers that just goes back to diluting playlist while Team Slayer, Objective and all the other playlist are under the moniker of "Competitive" and while ranks are still there but hidden I don't always feel like I'm competing, especially when I get matched every now and then against some guy and his guest.

The way I see it is we have to be realistic about the low player count on Reach and wasn't Team Training one of the more populated playlist in H2?

aesop

Calm Killer said:

I love Halo CE and still pop it in whenever I have friends over, but I really don't want a remake. I want Halo 4 and the continuation of the Chief's story.

Zel3

bobs99 ... said:
So can I go into matchmaking and get some of the new achivements like long range DMR kill without the map pack?

I'm pretty sure you have to download it but you dont have to play on the new maps to get the achievements.

Gui_PT

There's a problem with the achievements.

I got 2 of them yesterday, but it still shows as 49 our of 49 and didn't get any gamerscore for them

GhaleonEB

equil said:
Is it possible to play on a new map in the current playlists?
Cause i still havent played on one yet.
Yes, the system will prioritize matching players with the maps together. But they just came out, so there probably aren't that many of them yet.

Gui_PT said:
There's a problem with the achievements.

I got 2 of them yesterday, but it still shows as 49 our of 49 and didn't get any gamerscore for them
I met the requirements for two of them this morning, but I didn't get anything. Do you need to have the maps for them to unlock?

Gui_PT

Blue Ninja said:
I met the requirements for two of them this morning, but I didn't get anything. Do you need to have the maps for them to unlock?

You only need the maps for one of the achievements.

I'm assuming this happened because we got the achievements before the map pack went live, but they should've registered by now.

Plywood said:
Well first off, MLG has objective gametypes as well as slayer.

That's correct, but outside of that, the playlists fee[l pretty damn similar. Limited weapon sets, limited abilities, all DMRs, no radar. It's a pretty different experience than standard slayer. The outlook and behavior of the players are pretty similar in game too.

For the record, I fucking hate Arena's scoring system though. It prompts a ton of bad behavior, and not being able to have "Arena MLG" is going to be a major mistake.

Next, as for having 3 tiers that just goes back to diluting playlist while Team Slayer, Objective and all the other playlist are under the moniker of "Competitive" and while ranks are still there but hidden I don't always feel like I'm competing, especially when I get matched every now and then against some guy and his guest.

The way I see it is we have to be realistic about the low player count on Reach and wasn't Team Training one of the more populated playlist in H2?

Good points here, so I'm going to modify my proposal a bit.

First of all, in terms of Reach's population, it has a higher population than Halo 3 at this point in it's lifespan, Urk confirmed as much on Bungie.net (sidenote, Halo 3 in game showed the players in the last 24 hours, not current players, which is why reach appears to have lower player counts, even though it's higher). So the issue isn't overall player count, but player concentration, and where the playlists seperate from each other.

Currrently Reach has 15 Multiplayer playlists (I'm going to exclude co-op for now)

Code:
      NOBLE MAP PACK
      Available 11.30.2010
      RUMBLE PIT
      4,608 Players
      LIVING DEAD
      1,684 Players
      TEAM SLAYER
      12,925 Players
      TEAM SWAT
      6,317 Players
      TEAM SNIPERS
      1,898 Players
      TEAM OBJECTIVE
      884 Players
      MULTI TEAM
      3,325 Players
      BIG TEAM BATTLE
      4,876 Players
      INVASION
      2,604 Players

TEAM ARENA
      1,592 Players
      DOUBLES ARENA
      1,540 Players

The massive concentration of players is in Slayer based playlists. Team Slayer, Swat, and snipers are 35% of the total playlist concentration. That group can afford to be broken up a bit without much of a hit to playlist times/matchmaking quality.

Now, while the level of competition is higher in those playlists than in Halo 3's unranked slayer, there are things that make it less competitive. A few wacky gametypes (Elite slayer...) and playing with/against guests.

So instead of needlessly consolidating slayer, let's figure out how we can get some of those slayer players into some other playlists to even out the population. First, let's make slayer a no guest playlist. Now those players are going to need somewhere to go, so we can create your "Team Training" playlist with some off the wackier gametypes, plus the best of the objective and slayer lists. Loosen up trueskill parameters, and I think it would work nicely.

The issue with this plan is team Objective as it gets the shaft here, and it's player count is riding the line. I'd suggest credit bonuses for playing it/grabbing objectives, and loosening trueskill to reduce matchmaking times.

feel

equil said:
Is it possible to play on a new map in the current playlists?
Cause i still havent played on one yet.
The new playlist is still not up right?? The maps probably still haven't been dropped into regular matchmaking either. I hope this works as advertised, I want to get the new maps regularly on other playlists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom