• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey You

I'm pretty sure they are intergrated into the playlists, I look at NoF's game history last night and he was playing on them in various playlists.

I was disappointed the NMP playlist wasn't up yet, I was hoping to get some carnage on the new maps before I headed to school.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
electricpirate said:
When you talk about Arena bad behavior I assume you're talking about the assist thing. Am I correct? Has Bungie decided to address the issue or not?

As for the population, I didn't know that they switched from past 24 hrs to currently online. Glad to hear that it is actually doing better than H3. But can objective related bonuses even be implemented?

And while I agree with Slayer being a no guest playlist there is a small chance that those with guest might just go to SWAT or Snipers, though I imagine it wouldn't be much as I think they'd be more likely to go to Multi-team or maybe even Objective.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm not sure what the deal is with assists. In a BWU, a designer spoke about how they're at 40% damage and will remain like that but that video I made shows them to be at 60% damage. Maybe they're waiting for the patch to fix it. I don't know.

Plywood said:
When you talk about Arena bad behavior I assume you're talking about the assist thing. Am I correct? Has Bungie decided to address the issue or not?

As for the population, I didn't know that they switched from past 24 hrs to currently online. Glad to hear that it is actually doing better than H3. But can objective related bonuses even be implemented?

And while I agree with Slayer being a no guest playlist there is a small chance that those with guest might just go to SWAT or Snipers, though I imagine it wouldn't be much as I think they'd be more likely to go to Multi-team or maybe even Objective.

Assist thing is part of it, but the way Arena ranks you, it rewards the guy who betrays you for the rockets at the start of the game, or the guy who started dinging me with overcharges in the middle of a fight so I would die, and he could clean up the kill. That way, my score would drop and his would rise.

And I should clarify, I think slayer, swat, and snipers should all be no guests.

As for bonusses, I know that Bungie reduced the credits payed out in gruntpocalypse games, so I assume they can tweak something, maybe it's just a multiplier for the end of the game score or something.

Tashi0106 said:
I'm not sure what the deal is with assists. In a BWU, a designer spoke about how they're at 40% damage and will remain like that but that video I made shows them to be at 60% damage. Maybe they're waiting for the patch to fix it. I don't know.

I thought it was ~40? Assume a DMR shot does 25 damage. 4 to pop shields, 3 to the body to kill, totaling 175 HP. 3 DMR shots to shields will generate an assist, which works out to 75 damage, or ~43% of the total.

LosDaddie

Banned
Raide said:
Blastin' and Relaxin' 2000cR
Kill 180 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

T-Hug It Out 1100cR
Kill 4 enemies with close quarters combat in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Double Double 1350cR
Earn 2 Double Kills in the same match in Multiplayer Matchmaking.

Participation Counts 1300cR
Complete 3 games in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Nice!

I didn't play any Halo at all yesterday ( :( ), but I'll definitely get on XBL tonight.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
electricpirate said:
Assist thing is part of it, but the way Arena ranks you, it rewards the guy who betrays you for the rockets at the start of the game, or the guy who started dinging me with overcharges in the middle of a fight so I would die, and he could clean up the kill. That way, my score would drop and his would rise.
I didn't know Arena had griefers like that. That sucks. :/
electricpirate said:
And I should clarify, I think slayer, swat, and snipers should all be no guests.

As for bonusses, I know that Bungie reduced the credits payed out in gruntpocalypse games, so I assume they can tweak something, maybe it's just a multiplier for the end of the game score or something.
VBkG0.gif

Sounds good, make it happen Bungie.

GhaleonEB

ShinAmano said:
So why if I run campaign not in matchmaking are the credit payouts so crazy low even when I turn on 8+ skulls on Heroic or Legendary?
It counts as a custom game.

Speaking of which, I wish bungie.net tracked custom Firefight games, not just custom Multiplayer games. Seems an odd omission.

Man is it ever tough to be away from my xbox during a new map pack release... Have fun gentlemen

Also if anyone here wants to Christmas'afy my avatar I would appreciate it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
electricpirate said:
I thought it was ~40? Assume a DMR shot does 25 damage. 4 to pop shields, 3 to the body to kill, totaling 175 HP. 3 DMR shots to shields will generate an assist, which works out to 75 damage, or ~43% of the total.

Ahh I see your logic here. When I first did it out I did it by % values rather than HP. I don't know where that post is...anywho, regardless of which one of us are right about % damage(40% or 60%), assists are still broken. If it's 40, then it needs to be 20. If it's 60, then it needs to be 40. I keep fuckin forgetting to pop in Halo 3 and see exactly what the differences are.

edit: Devin, there's a Off Topic thread dedicated to Christmasfying avatars.

ShinAmano

GhaleonEB said:
It counts as a custom game.

Speaking of which, I wish bungie.net tracked custom Firefight games, not just custom Multiplayer games. Seems an odd omission.
Pretty lame. I like to turn on skulls and matchmaking does not give that option. :(

ElRenoRaven

Hmm. Either you can't get the DMR one in the swat playlist or it really requires a huge damn map to get. Because I've tried it on a couple and apparently it's not far enough away still when I've been clear across the map.

MrDaravon

Gui_PT said:
You only need the maps for one of the achievements.

I'm assuming this happened because we got the achievements before the map pack went live, but they should've registered by now.

I had the same problem with one of the original achievements (before the map pack came out), and just did the profile recovery on the 360 for my Live Account and it fixed it. On some screens it said I had 49/49 with 995 points, some said all 100, some said 48/49, etc. An account recovery will probably fix it.

Gui_PT

Sweet, we can get a team goin' on :D

Edit: Sorry for the dumb question, but how do I do that, SailorDaravon?

Edit 2: I don't understand the Stockpile achievement!

Tashi0106 said:
Awesome, posted... Thanks Tashi

So what is the general consensus on the maps in terms of playability? I've heard people say how 'gorgeous' they are, etc. But do these maps make up for the lack of good small/middle sized competitive maps?

Do we have a replacement for the Pitt?

Dax01 said:
I wonder what's taking so long to put the playlist up. I can't remember a day when a map pack came out and I couldn't play the maps when I got up.
Pirates attack the BunigeHQ because they havent released Pimp At Sea yet. Life sucks I know. Where are you Ninja Monkeys? Where?!

-Yeti said:
The map pack is here! Woot!

Why aren't more people excited? :(

Also, no one is online. :( :(

I was excited until I got online and realised I can't actually play the maps I just bought :(

Just having a look around them in custom games just now. The space part of Anchor 9 is disappointingly small I must say. The map looks amazing though, going to be tough not getting distracted by the pretty on that one.

I wonder what map pack sale numbers will be like in week 1...hopefully pretty high. I will try out some of the AL-less Arena as soon as that is up.

Gui_PT said:

I'm down for some games. GT: RebornYeti

Gui_PT said:

I'll be online in a few hours. I must do some work. (But I'll be online before the 11pm-12am :lol )

Tashi0106 said:
Ahh I see your logic here. When I first did it out I did it by % values rather than HP. I don't know where that post is...anywho, regardless of which one of us are right about % damage(40% or 60%), assists are still broken. If it's 40, then it needs to be 20. If it's 60, then it needs to be 40. I keep fuckin forgetting to pop in Halo 3 and see exactly what the differences are.

My main issue is the timeframe. 5 seconds is too short, and if Armor lock is engaged, I'm pretty much gauranteed to lose the assist.

Even without armour lock though, I've dropped a guys shield, watched him hide, played cat and mouse with him, and hit a shot to keep his shield recharging, then had my team-mate round a corner and finish him, but since the total engagement was 6 seconds I lose the assist.

aesop

Devin Olsen said:
Christmasify request

Here ya go, quick and dirty. Just like the man himself.

reposted image below.

Edit: I can clean it up a bit, if you'd prefer.

Also, I'd be happy to Christmasify your avatars, but so this thread doesn't turn into the other one, post over there and I'll get to work.

aesop said:
Here ya go, quick and dirty. Just like the man himself.

devinxmas.jpg

Edit: I can clean it up a bit, if you'd prefer.

Also, I'd be happy to Christmasify your avatars, but so this thread doesn't turn into the other one, post over there and I'll get to work.
Can you upload it to imgur?

I don't think work blocks much here, but your image isn't loading at all..

Thank you though!

edit: Nevermind! You can upload images to imgur just using a url, so I just re-hosted it myself...

Thank you very much.

Why has Bungie gone so mad with invisible walls and kill barriers with Reach? It makes maps feel very un-Halo.

That being said really liking the look of these maps from the little run around I've had. Look forward to actually playing them sometime soon hopefully.

Oh and Reach continues to have some of the prettiest skyboxes ever, god damn.

7echnicolor said:
Almost played with a Bungie employee today, but he quit at the beginning of the match! :( it was in Invasion..
Oh snap.
randomlyrossy said:
Why has Bungie gone so mad with invisible walls and kill barriers with Reach? It makes maps feel very un-Halo.
You do realise being able to break out of the map, especially in multiplayer is not by design?
Like all those wonderful hours I spent breaking out of maps in Halo 2 was really a reflection of how time constraint Bungie were.
The more the maps have prevent players trying to exploit them (some for nefarious purposes, some not) the better. That Hemorrhage porch to the left hand side of Blue-Base is one example.

Tashi0106 said:
Ahh I see your logic here. When I first did it out I did it by % values rather than HP. I don't know where that post is...anywho, regardless of which one of us are right about % damage(40% or 60%), assists are still broken. If it's 40, then it needs to be 20. If it's 60, then it needs to be 40.

I wonder how much of the naughty behavior in Arena would go away if the damage needed to generate an assist was halved. Or if a big penalty was introduced for betraying/damaging teammates.

The two big additions to Reach's multiplayer, Invasion and Arena, are both struggling to attract players. Something is seriously off there since those were both heavily publicized features of the game. Team slayer/multiteam are where I spend most of my time so the low player counts don't really affect me all that much but when any portion of the Halo community suffers, we all suffer.

I would never in a million years consider myself an "MLG" caliber player, but if that playlist has AA's as pickups then color me excited. I'm feeling more and more that there should've been a very limited number of AA's included in Loadouts with the rest being available exclusively on a map-by-map basis as pickups.

Very excited for the Noble maps. Standoff/Valhalla were my two favorite maps from Halo 3 and Tempest looks like it's going to provide the same warthoggy shenanigans as those maps.

Zeouterlimits said:
Oh snap.

You do realise being able to break out of the map, especially in multiplayer is not by design?
Like all those wonderful hours I spent breaking out of maps in Halo 2 was really a reflection of how time constraint Bungie were.
The more the maps have prevent players trying to exploit them (some for nefarious purposes, some not) the better. That Hemorrhage porch to the left hand side of Blue-Base is one example.

It worked best in Halo 3 in my opinion, generally the maps where pretty robust and couldnt be broken out of. The maps were you could sort of escape the play area had turrets or minefields outside so it felt like you were naturally confined to the play space. That felt very natural, the whole "Return to the battlefield" message really takes me out of the experiance but meh it works.

Zeouterlimits said:
Oh snap.

Oh I fully understand why the maps are restricted in the way they are, I just don't understand why they're so strict about it. The restrictions feel far too harsh, it makes the maps feel smaller than they should.

And it's even more baffling when it's used on Firefight maps for platforms that really aren't that out of the way or especially open to exploitation but yet are still given kill barriers to prevent you staying there.

Oh and sidenote, I just got into my first match with the new maps, now the playlist is live.

BTB Snipers, half my team quit. Yay!

MrDaravon

Gui_PT said:

On the Dashboard there should be an option somewhere in My Xbox pages for Account Recovery. It'll sign you out of your account, and then you'll have to enter the email and password for the live tag you want to recover and it'll go, but it'll take a few minutes to recover. So long as you were connected to Live before doing it, it'll re-pull all of your achievements and saves (you only lose anything you had gained while you were offline) since all of that stuff is kept server-side. Doing this seems to reset Achievement problems like that across multiple games, it was a problem in Phantasy Star Universe and some other games that this fixed. I guess it forces some sort of re-sync so it properly recognizes everything. If that doesn't work for you then I have no idea.

Zeouterlimits said:
Oh snap.

I think everyone here understands the need for barriers in MP maps.

The issue is the way Bungie went about it in Reach... The 'Return to Battlefield' message is a tad obnoxious, but what is worse is all of the invisible barriers that you hit during normal gameplay... I shouldn't smash my head into a squishy barrier while playing the game the way it was designed.

Also low ceilings + flying vehicles just plain and simply does not make sense.

Just played a slayer game on Breakpoint.

While it works better than Spire and Boneyard as a BTB map, there are some things I'm a little iffy about. One is the spawns. There is no set red base or blue base: everyone spawns all over the place. I much prefer Avalanche's and Valhalla's system of having a set base for each team.

The other thing is that weapon placements in BTB Slayer are as if we're playing a game of Invasion. At the start, I was able to walk a few feet and grab a Plasma Cannon, and I would've been able to walk a few more feet and grab a Spartan Laser. All the power weapons should be in the middle so each team should have to work for it. The sniper should remain where it is – put a Spartan Laser or a Plasma Cannon at the front of the map, and the put the rockets on that high rocky walkway that separates both sides of the map.

Lazslo

Downloading the maps now- haven't played much Halo at all lately but if anyone is in a custom lobby or wants to do some matchmaking I'll be on

Devin Olsen said:
Also low ceilings + flying vehicles just plain and simply does not make sense.

That's actually what prompted my comment. I tried out a Banshee on Breakpoint (I think) and the invisible walls in the air were pretty insane. It seems silly to put a flying vehicle in the map and then have the (invisible) ceiling so low.

FourDoor

Looks like I'll have to take a 2hour long lunch today to test out the new maps!!! :D

BTW, why is it so quite in here?!?!?! Where is the HaloGAF hype? Is there a seperate NMP thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom