• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what I thought would be my least favorite new map turned out to be my favorite so far, Breakpoint. It is reminiscent of Avalanche for me. It works great for vehicles or closer encounters.

Overall, the thing I like most about these new maps are that they aren't in the campaign. I wish they hadn't pooled single and multiplayer like that. Oh well, they are a breath of fresh air. Thanks Bungle!

Kuroyume

Banned
It really doesn't.

Kind of disappointed with these maps to be honest. In retrospect maybe it would have been better to get some smaller symmetrical maps because I can't stand vehicles. Sucks enough when I get one hit killed with a rocket, sword, or hammer but it's even worse when some dude is flying around in the sky doing barrel rolls and firing one hit kills from the cannon. I can't stand that shit. I've also already lost count of the times I've had my shields knocked down because of a teammate's clumsy riding and it's only been a few games. At least the maps were free I guess.

MMaRsu

Loving the new maps, Tempest is amazing but AL is so shitty. I hope to god Bungie will address it in the future.. hopefully.

Aside from that, Reach is still amazing :D.

Striker

Kuroyume said:
It really doesn't.

Kind of disappointed with these maps to be honest. In retrospect maybe it would have been better to get some smaller symmetrical maps because I can't stand vehicles.
Would love this.

21a0rbo.jpg

Bungie's best 4v4 map to date. Though I do like Breakpoint and Tempest in my times in the games. Anchor 9 seems to be getting good feedback, but I have yet to get it so far. Not anxious to play 12 players on there, however.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Striker said:
Would love this.

21a0rbo.jpg

Bungie's best 4v4 map to date. Though I do like Breakpoint and Tempest in my times in the games. Anchor 9 seems to be getting good feedback, but I have yet to get it so far. Not anxious to play 12 players on there, however.

Mmmmmmm

Where's EazyB when you need him?

<3

Kuroyume

Banned
Striker said:
Would love this.

21a0rbo.jpg

Yeah. Anything that doesn't have vehicles please. I've already forgotten about Waterworks. There's no hope for it in Halo Reach. They'll just stick for 6 warthogs, 4 wraiths, 2 mini wraiths, 4 ghosts, and set the respawn time to 10 seconds. They'll ruin it. Give me Colossus and Beaver Creek.

Ramirez

Booties said:
Noble Map pack showdown. Team Something Awful halo reach thread VS. Team NEOGAF halo reach thread.

Why would you all want to get pooped on so bad? We wouldn't send teams 1 or 3 ya know.

Next map pack, let's get Pit, Midship, & Beaver Creek prz. I'm starting to find that I find this game much more enjoyable when I actually enjoy the maps. Anchor 9 is a total surprise, it plays really well, and Tempest is a true Smallhalla. (Sorry EazyB)

Two things:

1. I think I found a pretty good contender for this week's Blame Stosh.
2. I tried out Firefight VS and...it's a great idea, but so far, what Bungie has done with it, the execution is terrible and it just leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth. I tried out VS Skirmishers and VS Grunts. Both gametypes give the Spartans overshields and both gametypes allow you to kill the human-controlled Elites in half a clip of AR ammo. That's right: half a clip. This is really, really unfair to the Elites, and discourages the player from trying to go up against the Spartans. Why give them overshields? Why give their weapons extra damage? Not only that, but the Elites can just hang back and force the Spartans to come to them when it should be the other way around. When the Elites hang back, this deprives the Spartans of their main source of revenue for points, making it hard for either team to win the game. It's an exploit, and exploits are never fun.

Not a fan of Firefight VS in its current state. Bungie needs to adjust the mode.

MrBig

Urk, any clarification on when the Forge contest ends? The slip of saying the 30th was the last day in a BWU got a lot of people confused.

pakkit

Banned
Dax01 said:
Not a fan of Firefight VS in its current state. Bungie needs to adjust the mode.
That's why I like that it's in the weekly playlist. Bungie can tweak it out and then make it a permanent playlist when its kinks have been figured out.

feel

MMaRsu said:
Loving the new maps, Tempest is amazing but AL is so shitty. I hope to god Bungie will address it in the future.. hopefully.
I'd say bring Shishka back!!!

I bet he hates AL.

t9f4sx.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
ZayneH said:
So, is Breakpoint not in Invasion yet? I'd think they'd weigh it heavily for now, or something.
I've heard that it is, but comes up rarely. On a similar note, I played 10+ games today in Rumble Pit and BTB (my preferred playlists) and didn't see any of the new maps come up at all (and most lobbies even went to a second round of voting). I was pretty surprised by this, considering how the matchmaking is supposed to be working — maybe it's just that everyone who downloaded the maps is playing the DLC playlist.

Trasher

Booties said:
Noble Map pack showdown. Team Something Awful halo reach thread VS. Team NEOGAF halo reach thread.
This joke poster still posts here? How are you doing selling your Halo lessons man?

Breakpoint is nice but it needs another path up to the peak. Too hard to get up without a jetpack. Maybe have a path go up there from the path between the bases.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Trasher said:
Something Awful is good?
Ahhhhh I see.

KyleJ is a member of somethingawful. His buddy is booties. Booties is a good player for sure, just played with him yesterday actually.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
Ahhhhh I see.

KyleJ is a member of somethingawful. His buddy is booties. Booties is a good player for sure, just played with him yesterday actually.
Don't care if Booties is a good player. Dude is a complete asshole. Pretty sure most of everyone has him on ignore.

Blueblur1

Domino Theory said:
You still need the code or do you have the maps by now (sorry, was in class again until now)?
If there's someone else that wants it, you can give it to them. I can afford the maps. There's probably a HaloGAF'er who can't.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Blueblur1 said:
If there's someone else that wants it, you can give it to them. I can afford the maps. There's probably a HaloGAF'er who can't.

Alright. :)

Edit: Codes are all gone. Hope everyone enjoys. I know I absolutely LOVE Anchor 9. I have my flaming helmet codes but I'll give those out tomorrow. :)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kuroyume said:
Yeah. Anything that doesn't have vehicles please. I've already forgotten about Waterworks. There's no hope for it in Halo Reach. They'll just stick for 6 warthogs, 4 wraiths, 2 mini wraiths, 4 ghosts, and set the respawn time to 10 seconds. They'll ruin it. Give me Colossus and Beaver Creek.
Waterworks was pretty forgettable to begin with. And Colossus would just end up like Reflection where everyone just migrates to a single spot to battle in. Colossus was a good concept with some unforseen tradgedies that made it less than fun to play most of the time.

Though maybe the removal of the BR would change things.

So I never did get a chance to play Breakpoint invasion (or BTB objective for that matter), but for my troubles Bungie matchmaking set us up with Invasion Slayer on Hemorrhage, followed by Boneyard Invasion as Elites, where we barely managed to make it to the first set of generators since all the spartans jumped down and whooped us.

You ever reach that point where you just feel demoralized by a game? You lose your mojo and your patience, followed soon by your ability to aim, and then your give-a-shit-ness. I feel like I've paid to have my balls put in a vice. :(

On the other hand, CTF games on Tempest were awesome. So there's that.

Please Bungie:

- Make it so I can play Breakpoint invasion and objective gametypes without waiting to roll a double six in matchmaking craps.

- Kill Hemorrhage with fire, publicly. Its a horrid enough map as it is, but when you play Invasion Slayer and start with a freaking AR and no vehicles... It sucked all the fun out of tonight's matches.

And a question: Why do spartans get an overshield in Firefight Versus? Its hard enough to tackle spartans in a defensive position without giving them uber-shields as well. I don't get it.

Dax01 said:
2. I tried out Firefight VS and...it's a great idea, but so far, what Bungie has done with it, the execution is terrible and it just leaves you with a sour taste in your mouth. I tried out VS Skirmishers and VS Grunts. Both gametypes give the Spartans overshields and both gametypes allow you to kill the human-controlled Elites in half a clip of AR ammo. That's right: half a clip. This is really, really unfair to the Elites, and discourages the player from trying to go up against the Spartans. Why give them overshields? Why give their weapons extra damage? Not only that, but the Elites can just hang back and force the Spartans to come to them when it should be the other way around. When the Elites hang back, this deprives the Spartans of their main source of revenue for points, making it hard for either team to win the game. It's an exploit, and exploits are never fun.
Couldnt agree more. I didn't know about Spartan weapons doing extra damage, but that fits some WTF moments I had tonight. I got the drop on one spartan and spammed my concussion rifle at him at close range. I hit him a few times dead on but didn't drop him, while he just turned around and breathed on me with his AR and dropped me in a flat second.

Color me confused with how that gametype is tuned right now.

Domino Theory said:
Alright. :)

Edit: Codes are all gone. Hope everyone enjoys. I know I absolutely LOVE Anchor 9. I have my flaming helmet codes but I'll give those out tomorrow. :)

Thanks again Domino... it's like early Christmas for me :D

I'm guessing I'm not the first to comment on this, but since I don't feel like trawling - what the fuck is with the invisible walls on Tempest? It it such a beautiful map aesthetically and designed and is absolutely ruined by invisible walls that stop you from - oh - going about 3m further to try and hug the rock wall.

Dirtbag

I don't like breakpoint, but goddamn its another good looking map. The lighting and scale are phenom.

Played with Blood a few times, and boy the DMR actually feels overpowered on the map. I know that sounds crazy, and no I wouldn't want it tuned down for the sake of an average at best map.

Warthog is so worthless and boring. I have a total ho-hum feeling about the warthog.
Banshee is fun, wraith is sorta fun.

Breakpoint is a total 'meh' of a map for me.
Love the other two maps

I'll end this post with a FUCK YOU ARMOR LOCK

Got so close with destroying a vehicle with AL today. Couple of times a Banshee just slowed down against it, not taking any damage. What the fuck.

There was one time a Warthog was barreling down a teammate and me, we both popped it, and the hog just ramped over both of us a good distance. Pretty lolzy.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
Ahhhhh I see.

I don't care I could beat them all with my left hand... and my right hand, I need both hands to hold a controller of course. Also Team 2+me > Something Awful, yeah I went there.

Dirtbag

Grimm Fandango said:
Got so close with destroying a vehicle with AL today. Couple of times a Banshee just slowed down against it, not taking any damage. What the fuck.

There was one time a Warthog was barreling down a teammate and me, we both popped it, and the hog just ramped over both of us a good distance. Pretty lolzy.

I heard in the next patch armor lock will be switched to a self destruct button with some really really light splash damage.

Hah... Well I chose the winners at random for the giveaway of the Map Pack codes... and Eazy B & Kapura's names came up :lol

ZPVWS.png

hid the name & Email obviously

Sorry to the rest of you who didn't win...

GhaleonEB

Did my three games of MP in the Noble playlist. Slayer DMRs, Slayer DMRs, Slayer. le sigh. :(

I moved on to Firefight Versus, which I think I'm going to enjoy a lot. I didn't understand one game mechanic until the third round, which is there's a secondary goal for the Spartans to take out all the supporting Covenant (the non-player controlled dudes) to end the round. It's a nice risk/reward mechanic: take out all the support dudes guys quickly, and you miss out on the big points the Elites are worth. But you also risk getting killed by the Elites. Fun game type, and one I'll dabble in regularly while it's up.

I then did a game of Firefight to finish off the 180 kill Challenge for the day. I find myself wishing there was a playlist for a few variations of just regular Firefight with different skull progressions (Tilt and Thunderstorm in particular, or perhaps some customized skulls), and the Sniper and Rocket Fight type games in a different playlist. I love regular FF so much, but the others get tedious fast, especially for a full Set.

I mention that because we got Sniper Fight. And I'm not a very good sniper, and am not a fan of doing so. Or at least, I thought I wasn't: I rocked that game, scoring more than the other two dudes combined (one of us dropped after a Wave or two).

Then again, this is how I snipe. :D

Devin Olsen said:
Hah... Well I chose the winners at random for the giveaway of the Map Pack codes... and Eazy B & Kapura's names came up :lol

Dang, congrats to who won though, looks like I'll be picking these up down the road as I don't have the cash or a good internet connection (yes again, I hate my internet with a passion) at the moment.

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
GhaleonEB said:

I watched this expecting to see you take 10 seconds to zoom in, 10 seconds to line up a shot, and another 10 before you actually pulled the trigger. I kept waiting for you to put away the fuel rod and actually snipe.

It took me a few moments before it dawned on me what you meant. :lol

(As an aside, this has got to be the thread I follow the most on gaf, but never post in, hah. Gotta go pick up the map pack after reading all the good stuff about the maps in there.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom