• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, finally got round to playing this.
My initial thoughts are that while it lacks any bad levels like Cortana, it also lacks any real stand-out levels like Silent Cartographer or The Ark. There's also a bit of a deficiency in 'wow' moments, like fighting the Scarab or arriving on the Ark in Halo 3. I certainly enjoyed the game, but I would have appreciated fewer Firefight-type defence scenarios (ODST suffered from this a bit as well).
Actually Reach reminds me more of ODST than any of the main Halo games.
The lack of any Forerunner bits is a particular disappointment. I was hoping the underground lab would be spooky alien ruins, but it just ended up being Firefight in a cave :(.
Ending is a bit of a downer as well.

So yeah, good game but I'm glad Bungie are moving on to new stuff.

LiK

Thagomizer said:
I saw that. You too slow

2zekvwy.jpg

so hawt.

def sim

2 was heavily team oriented.

Especially with the clan match playlist (I miss this) and sudden death being forever (pre-patch). Those reasons also made it into a fantastic chat room.

Safe Bet

Banned
If you lose more than 1/4 of your team a "forfeit" option should arise.

It's unfair to ask anyone to eat that many deaths.

Hugbot

rance said:
2 was heavily team oriented.

Especially with the clan match playlist (I miss this) and sudden death being forever (pre-patch). Those reasons also made it into a fantastic chat room.
Saturday I had sudden death end on me during a one-flag match in Hemmorhage, I was stepping out of the warthog, with the flag, back at our base. Stupid piece of crap sudden death, game ended in a tie.

ultron87

Is there a Spartan Laser in the campaign or in any of the non-Invasion multiplayer maps?

Because I honestly can't remember using one in the retail version of the game.

Safe Bet said:

Yeah, I think that's a great idea. An optional, honorable way to end a truly lopsided game and get back into the fray of matchmaking without being penalized.

Good stuff what I'm hearing about SWAT getting its own playlist. Get that shit out of my Reach pretty please.
Had little desire to play all weekend because of the what gametypes get voted for.
I really want to be playing this 4-5 nights a week. It's fall I should be playing Halo mp with most of my spare time.

zumphry

Banned
Welcome to Reach (2)

Hopefully when I play tonight I won't lag out and "win" a game since I'm the only one in it. Happened to me two times in a row last night. :/

Safe Bet said:

This would be a pretty decent alternative. Although obviously it wouldn't work in competetive stuff like Arena where people could take advantage of the system to boost.

MrBig

daily challenges are crack

I hope bungie can implement more armor over time and not just what they already have planned to release at milestones

Invasion slayer hemirradge I will always quit in now, it's not fun, it's not funny either and when half your team quits it's way too easy for the other side to dominate you at spawn, also human weapons are > covenant in both hit scan and power.

Poor elites are gimped beyond gimp.

ManCannon

Hopefully the playlist update will have a pretty big impact on quitting. For now it's tough to just start swinging that hammer harder because the playlists need to be massaged so people aren't inclined to have to quit as much. Unfortunately there's zero chance of some kind of join-in-progress patch functionality.

I've only quit two or three games ever - just because I was browsing stats and Score Attack restarted but I've endured every shitty team game of SWAT I've been stuck in and it's taken every bit of resolve to not bail out.. I even finished an entire Invasion round down 4 teammates.. :( (guess when they didn't get their shut-out achievement they just bailed)

Quitting won't go away entirely but the situation will definitely improve... First, fix some of the bigger playlist issues, then update the quitter system to be a more effective deterrent. The Betrayal system is under review as well and may still be able to get tweaked in time for the October update.

Raide

ManCannon said:
Hopefully the playlist update will have a pretty big impact on quitting. For now it's tough to just start swinging that hammer harder because the playlists need to be massaged so people aren't inclined to have to quit as much. Unfortunately there's zero chance of some kind of join-in-progress patch functionality.

I've only quit two or three games ever - just because I was browsing stats and Score Attack restarted but I've endured every shitty team game of SWAT I've been stuck in and it's taken every bit of resolve to not bail out.. I even finished an entire Invasion round down 4 teammates.. :( (guess when they didn't get their shut-out achievement they just bailed)

Quitting won't go away entirely but the situation will definitely improve... First, fix some of the bigger playlist issues, then update the quitter system to be a more effective deterrent. The Betrayal system is under review as well and may still be able to get tweaked in time for the October update.

Nice to hear.

As a side note, who do I have to pay to get more Man-cannons added to Forge? :lol

ManCannon

Captain Blood said:
Fixed that for you. :lol

I don't support that BTW, it's just an 'unfortunate' response to the people who have been wanting it. :) I don't personally want to join a game already in progress or have a revolving door of people in my 12 minute Slayer game.

ultron87 said:
Is there a Spartan Laser in the campaign or in any of the non-Invasion multiplayer maps?

This is one of my favourite things about Reach retail. :D

Safe Bet

Banned
Is there anyone else that loves P.U.G.s as much as I do?

I understand going in with a pre-made team is fun and that's how many of you play MP, but for me nothing is more exciting than a group of complete strangers coming together for a common goal.

Domino Theory said:
Accidentally betrayed my teammate in FF MM while I was in the Rocket Hog.

He boots me.

Awesome.
I've never been booted for a betrayal.

Did you apologize to the dude?

ManCannon said:
Awesome to hear. Every little bit helps. I usually don't stay with any online multiplayer games for all that long, and I'm hoping to change that record with Reach.

Domino Theory said:

He boots me.

Awesome.
Its worse when you play splitscreen. You ALL get booted :(

ElRenoRaven

ManCannon said:

Very Very cool to hear. You guys haven't failed us before and I don't see you doing it now.

ManCannon

Shake Appeal said:
This is one of my favourite things about Reach retail. :D

The only campaign Splaser I really can recall offhand is the one you get at the cave exit on the last level before you enter Boneyard. I tried kill the Ultra Elite with it unsuccessfully - his shield recharge is faster than the Laser cool-down so it was a no-go. I'm sure there's one or two more somewhere in the campaign but this one is most fresh in my mind.

Safe Bet

Banned
ManCannon said:
The Betrayal system is under review as well and may still be able to get tweaked in time for the October update.
It works perfectly.

Please don't mess with it.

All it takes to keep from getting booted is two things...

1. Don't throw frags at your teammates while they are in a gunfight hoping for an easy kill.

2. Apologize when/if you do.

ManCannon said:

want a good deterrent to quitting? give players negative credits for quitting a match, and not just 100 or 200, like a good 1500.

Safe Bet said:
It works perfectly.

1. Don't throw frags at your teammates while they are in a gunfight hoping for an easy kill.

:lol

as if apologies stoop people from booting.

rush777

Bah my internet has been whack as of late really limiting my ability to play. This game is crack and not being able to play makes me sad. They really need to give some more offline CR it's impossible to do anything.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Domino Theory said:

He boots me.

Awesome.

I've had a teammate run in front of my tank and boot me before. :|

Jinjo

ManCannon said:
The only campaign Splaser I really can recall offhand is the one you get at the cave exit on the last level before you enter Boneyard. I tried kill the Ultra Elite with it unsuccessfully - his shield recharge is faster than the Laser cool-down so it was a no-go. I'm sure there's one or two more somewhere in the campaign but this one is most fresh in my mind.

There's one on The Package too, when defending Halsey's lab. I also tried killing that Ultra Elite with the Splaser on Legendary, but that damn Elite is faster than the speed of light or something, because he just kept dodging the thing. :lol

krakov

ultron87 said:

There are a few Lasers in campaign, in the boneyard and one at the last part of the package for example. I think there are more than these but I can't really remember the locations.

Hugbot

Safe Bet said:
It works perfectly.

On one hand I've been kicked in Rocketfight when a guy jetpacked in front of my rocket, which was dumb.

On the other hand if "just one kill" didn't trigger it, I might not have been able to boot that one dick who shot my tank with his.

JB1981

Safe Bet said:
Played a few more games, did decently, so now I like the game again.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME?

Having a hard time using AL against the hammer.

Works great against the sword as long as you time your lock properly (just before they lunge iiuc) but guys seem to be able to get a second sing of the hammer in before I can pop-out and melee.

Yea I basically only like the game when I play good too :lol

This is true of virtually all shooters, though. I played MW2 last night after playing Reach all weekend and the Reach netcode is vastly superior. No contest.

ultron87

I dunno if it is possible but if the betrayal system was changed so that it didn't give the boot prompt if there was an enemy in close vicinity (meaning it was plausible it was an accident) it'd be fine.

Or just change it back to previous games style where the enemy who last damaged you gets the kill even if a teammate dealt the final damage.

GhaleonEB

Safe Bet said:
It works perfectly.

People doing much of the booting are simply jerks who like to do that sort of thing. The system needs to be flexible enough to both discourage betrayals but not enable people to kick out players for one "oops" moment. I haven't run into it personally but it sure sounds like the balance needs the tweaking it's going to get.

The nice thing about the scope of Reach is that I've had plenty to do while I wait for the playlists to get tweaked more to my liking. Between Forge, some co-op campaign, the start of my Legendary run, Score Attack, working on non-MP Challenges and customs, I haven't had a strong desire to hit up MP matchmaking yet. The initial playlist update sounds so hearty I might start dabbling in it, since that will line up with the completion of my initial Forge itch being scratched.

ElRenoRaven

Dear god I have been converted. I started playing around with armor lock today. I have saved my ass so many times with it that I am a believer in it now.

All hail armor lock.

Jinjo said:
There's one on The Package too, when defending Halsey's lab. I also tried killing that Ultra Elite with the Splaser on Legendary, but that damn Elite is faster than the speed of light or something, because he just kept dodging the thing. :lol
WOOT! I'm not only one who tried it. I thought that i'm a miserable shooter.
:lol

ManCannon said:
There is a good way to avoid it. Add the HaloGAF Reach GT and send some invites to some HaloGAF people. First you've no quitters in your team and the other point is that the invitee will be explode because of the joy to play with a Bungie member. I guess.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ok, the playlists need some fixing, I was pretty ok with it but man....

rumble pit, which I wanted to play a lot of due to no mates that play much so team slayer becomes a dirty quit/swat fest

but they've done something to the rumblepit playlist. Or should I say the Infection playlist which is now a case of 'hey I found a bit on the map that I can climb up and headshot you while you struggle to make the jump'

rinse repeat.

Infection is the worst game type ever. I'm crap at it and I hate playing it. Ended up actually quitting a match after I sat through 5 in a row. I hate quitters as much or more than the next guy, but fuck it, 5 infection in a row is retarded.

Also had my first team slayer being REALLY outclassed by a team, played public, had some guy on our side quit and the other team were fucking co-ordinated ninjas. I ate a negative 14 and left our quitter a message saying 'thanks asshat'

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
PsychoRaven said:
Dear god I have been converted. I started playing around with armor lock today. I have saved my ass so many times with it that I am a believer in it now.

All hail armor lock.

Pretty much this, all hail armor lock when you play against people who don't know how to react towards it. :D

Not a Jellyfish said:
Pretty much this, all hail armor lock when you play against people who don't know how to react towards it. :D
I love how you can remove stuck grenades from yourself using Armor Lock :lol

Raide

The Lamonster said:

AL was pretty much the only AA I used during the Beta. People still don't know what to do when it kicks in. :lol

ultron87

The Lamonster said:

Using it on a boosting Ghost attempting to run you over is my favorite thing ever. They explode so nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom