• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the new page!
-----
Well I went ahead and made another tag for GAF Customs... Check my profile for the GT

Be sure to include the code when adding the GT, otherwise I will assume you're not from GAF and reject it.

If you guys think it's to cluttered having three HaloGAF tags then I will take it down, it just sounds like the demand is there for a third one.

Jobiensis

Deadly Cyclone said:
Ugh, Firefight is so laggy for me.

ODST Firefight used to be terribly laggy but a few months ago I switched routers and god my NAT open and it ran great. Using the same setup Reach Firefight is very laggy.

Connection:

4 down, 3 up should be fine to play on. I am confused.

Your 100ms pings could be a problem, in firefight that could be in essence 200ms input lag if I'm understanding it correctly.

big ander

Um can't the fact that it's spelled R E A C H in the title make it hard for people to search? GAFs search already has problems. I don't think anybody who missed the switch will find this. :lol

catfish said:
ok, the playlists need some fixing, I was pretty ok with it but man....

rumble pit, which I wanted to play a lot of due to no mates that play much so team slayer becomes a dirty quit/swat fest

but they've done something to the rumblepit playlist. Or should I say the Infection playlist which is now a case of 'hey I found a bit on the map that I can climb up and headshot you while you struggle to make the jump'

rinse repeat.

Infection is the worst game type ever. I'm crap at it and I hate playing it. Ended up actually quitting a match after I sat through 5 in a row. I hate quitters as much or more than the next guy, but fuck it, 5 infection in a row is retarded.

Also had my first team slayer being REALLY outclassed by a team, played public, had some guy on our side quit and the other team were fucking co-ordinated ninjas. I ate a negative 14 and left our quitter a message saying 'thanks asshat'
I'm with ya man. I like to play Rumble Pit as much as the next guy, but Infection is making the playlist unplayable for me.

And the only reason it's there, because of the Bulltrue avatar award. Move the damn Infection into the swat playlist :D That'll show them.

Letters said:
And armor lock too. Rejection medals are so nice. :) After being one of those people that always used Sprint in the beta, now I never use Sprint when give the option, I just choose one of the other AAs (except Camo, that one's just annoying for everyone involved), or I feel like I'm missing out on some fun.
Speaking of camo, what do you guys do when you notice your radar is jammed up because someone with camo is near? Are there any tactics that are useful in this situation? How do you defeat that AA?

GhaleonEB

TacticalFox88 said:
This Gaffer still wonders how Ghaleon taught his daughters to play Halo. Fuck, I can barely teach teenage girls! :lol
It is her strong preference to mess around in Forge. That pretty much IS Halo to her, though we play some wacky MP games and some Campaign from time to time (the fact that she can only earn credits in Campaign via Commendations will motivate her to play it with me this time around). Though she's getting addicted to Plants vs. Zombies XBLA so she might be off it for a while.
Darkflight said:
Hey new thread - just rendered a couple of videos - nothing special, but take a look if you would :D

Triple + Yoink:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=3603605&player=Starlit

Sorry Forky:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=3601542&player=Starlit
:lol @ the finish to the second one. Total surprise.

Ugh I am starting to get annoyed even more with this game now, I know it's not halo's fault but playing team games with randoms is just annoying, I was the only one out of 5 (we had a quitter early in the game) trying to take the core, I nearly had it too but my silly team mates were hogging sniper and missing shots, not attacking the nodes, ugh :(

When I did get the sniper I took out 2 vehicles the elites had so I felt good for that moment of the match.

Devin Olsen said:
For the new page!
-----
Well I went ahead and made ReachGAF3

97Tu3.png

If you guys think it's to cluttered having three HaloGAF tags then I will take it down, it just sounds like the demand is there for a third one.

I think it'd be best if ReachGAF and ReachGAF2 could free a spot for ReachGAF3. That way whoever is on ReachGAF3 could see everyone on ReachGAF, correct? (I think that's how friends of friends works...)

No, you'd be able to see ReachGAF 1 and 2 but not the Gaffers that are friends with them. That would be three layers deep.
I heart Inception

Hugbot

NullPointer said:
Speaking of camo, what do you guys do when you notice your radar is jammed up because someone with camo is near? Are there any tactics that are useful in this situation? How do you defeat that AA?
Mostly I freak out and hope to catch the predator shimmer. If they're moving it's easy but I know they might be camping around a corner so I try to avoid tight areas when I see it, maybe go a different route.

Also in playlists without radar, using invisibility should just play a loud, obnoxious dancehall siren all around you. You know, for balance.

Would it be possible to update the OP with each rating for the weapons, ie heavy, automatic, precision, and small arms?

maybe even what defines close quarters. The commendations seem really vague to me.

qirex99

Banned
Dr Zhivago said:
OK, finally got round to playing this.
My initial thoughts are that while it lacks any bad levels like Cortana, it also lacks any real stand-out levels like Silent Cartographer or The Ark. There's also a bit of a deficiency in 'wow' moments, like fighting the Scarab or arriving on the Ark in Halo 3. I certainly enjoyed the game, but I would have appreciated fewer Firefight-type defence scenarios (ODST suffered from this a bit as well).
Actually Reach reminds me more of ODST than any of the main Halo games.
The lack of any Forerunner bits is a particular disappointment. I was hoping the underground lab would be spooky alien ruins, but it just ended up being Firefight in a cave :(.
Ending is a bit of a downer as well.

So yeah, good game but I'm glad Bungie are moving on to new stuff.

sorry mayne, IMO - reach has the BEST ending ever. The way it neatly wraps up tidily into HAle:CE - Awesome...

then the credits...legendary!

Hugbot said:
Mostly I freak out and hope to catch the predator shimmer. If they're moving it's easy but I know they might be camping around a corner so I try to avoid tight areas when I see it, maybe go a different route.
I've got that part covered :lol

I swear its maddening in Sword Base and you know there is somebody just waiting for the right opportunity to shiv you, but you can't even be sure what floor they're on. Just makes me paranoid overall since I don't have any kind of ready strategy to deal with it.

At least now I can empathize with the henchmen in Arkham Asylum.

qirex99 said:
then the credits...legendary!
And then the post-credits epilogue seals the deal. Bravo Bungie.. Bravo.

Diablohead said:
Ugh I am starting to get annoyed even more with this game now, I know it's not halo's fault but playing team games with randoms is just annoying, I was the only one out of 5 (we had a quitter early in the game) trying to take the core, I nearly had it too but my silly team mates were hogging sniper and missing shots, not attacking the nodes, ugh :(

When I did get the sniper I took out 2 vehicles the elites had so I felt good for that moment of the match.

I have added you, we shall play sometime and it will be good.

NullPointer said:
I don't really think that would help, but something needs to be done. But fine, if that solution can look nothing like COD, because everything in COD is horrible and hateful, then come up with a third way.

It sucks to start matchmaking, get outvoted and play a match you don't like, and then end up with half or less than half a team, all the while realizing that if you quit out of the game you'll be penalized.

Not one aspect of that experience is fun, and its happening too much for my tastes.

The gameplay is great - my versus experiences have been so so though.

Thanks for assuming you know why I dislike drop in drop out, and for assuming that I dislike COD.

See, I don't want it because it wouldn't work with Halo, I don't like it because I like in Halo how initial conflicts define the next 3-4 minutes of a match. I've played a lot of Drop in drop out during Halo 2 on our college lan, and I didn't like it because it doesn't put the same emphasis on a match. Halo's greatest strength online, and probably it's greatest curse is how much it makes you care about individual games. It's part of why Halo just seems to generate so much damn NERD RAGE.

TommyT

NullPointer said:

I just keep doing what I'm doing if I'm hunting people with the exception of turning around every so often to see if a blur is chasing me. Other than that, always fire into corners where you think someone is waiting for you. If an area is really suspicious, toss a 'nade!

SquallASF said:
No, you'd be able to see ReachGAF 1 and 2 but not the Gaffers that are friends with them. That would be three layers deep.
I heart Inception
Ah, shame... I kind of worried that was the case.

Oh well, like I said enough people aren't on either of the first two lists so a third one won't be completely useless.

Edit:
TommyT said:
So when are we going to the get GAF Plays: Halo in Order thread? :lol
What would... ermm... What would that thread be for?

electricpirate said:
Thanks for assuming you know why I dislike drop in drop out, and for assuming that I dislike COD.
Sorry I wasn't clear in my response. Only the first line was aimed at you (the worry that harsher bans wouldnt fix the problem). I included the COD bit for people like Chorazin or anybody that thinks adding some of what COD got right would destroy Halo. Sometimes HaloGAF can get really sensitive with COD comparisons, and I was overly defensive there. It comes across much harsher than I meant it.

electricpirate said:
See, I don't want it because it wouldn't work with Halo, I don't like it because I like in Halo how initial conflicts define the next 3-4 minutes of a match. I've played a lot of Drop in drop out during Halo 2 on our college lan, and I didn't like it because it doesn't put the same emphasis on a match. Halo's greatest strength online, and probably it's greatest curse is how much it makes you care about individual games. It's part of why Halo just seems to generate so much damn NERD RAGE.
Now this I can absolutely agree with, when it works. It all falls apart once people quit. So you can either design the game for the best case scenario and end up with frustrated players when things don't work out - or you can design for mid-game joins and end up with less "complete" feeling matches. I'd love for there to be a third way that solves these issues.

TommyT said:
I just keep doing what I'm doing if I'm hunting people with the exception of turning around every so often to see if a blur is chasing me. Other than that, always fire into corners where you think someone is waiting for you. If an area is really suspicious, toss a 'nade!
Looks like its more tactical spray and pray for me then. I was kindof hoping somebody had some magic bullet to catch these predators in the act.

Kuroyume

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if many (probably most) of the names in the first two tags aren't even from this place. Posting the tags here instead of the online forum was not a good idea. Oh well...

It doesn't surprise me that the first official thread is already dead. I guess it would have happened with any Halo but this one is so damn good. I was kind of feeling that Halo was dead to me after 3, and I was more interested in Killzone, but Reach got me interested in Halo again!

Kuroyume said:
It wouldn't surprise me if many (probably most) of the names in the first two tags aren't even from this place. Posting the tags here instead of the online forum was not a good idea. Oh well...

It doesn't surprise me that the first official thread is already dead. I guess it would have happened with any Halo but this one is so damn good. I was kind of feeling that Halo was dead to me after 3, and I was more interested in Killzone, but Reach got me interested in Halo again!
Yeah I am definitely seeing a lot of GT's pop up that I do not recognize and I am not to sure how I could avoid that... Actually i do, brb.

Edit:
There we go, I added a little code in my profile (not viewable to non-members) that will be required to get on the new GAF tag friends list.

Seems like an elegant enough solution.

GhaleonEB

Was discussing this with a GAFer the other night, but my $0.02 on how to fix Hemorrhage. I think Valhalla perfected the box canyon style of map, and in particular fixed issues that Blood Gulch had, so it's a bit jarring to go backward.

Valhalla did two big things to improve the map for infantry over Blood Gulch. The first was to add the central hill, which had a nice self-balancing effect: the high point on the map was critical to control, but by virtue of controlling it you were also relatively exposed to fire from everywhere on the map. The other was to lower the side caves down to the ground so they are not a superior firing point.

On Hemorrhage/Gulch, the side caves are the high point on the map, and the superior firing position. So players - especially snipers - perched along the sides have both a view of the map and the protection of the cliffs. There's no mechanism to self-balance the positions other than to add counter-sniping and other such ordnance escalation.

Were I to take a pass at tweaking the map, I'd add some cover to the center - if not a ridge, then a set of stones ala Hang'em High. Then I'd block off the caves, make the edges vertical, and create a new set of stone caves along the ground, so they are not the superior position on the map to be. A way around, but not a position to dominate the center from.

Hugbot

Devin Olsen said:
Yeah I am definitely seeing a lot of GT's pop up that I do not recognize and I am not to sure how I could avoid that... Actually i do, brb.

Edit:
There we go, I added a little code in my profile (not viewable to non-members) that will be required to get on the new GAF tag friends list.

Seems like an elegant enough solution.
Good plan fella. As long as you don't boot me and make me resend the invite, I mean.

Also I hope this means I'll get in on some hot GAF custom action~

Magni

Watching KevinRo's nice 2-4-1 made me remember something I noticed while running MLG Customs with some friends the other day: why does it say "Multi Flag CTF" instead of "MLG 5 Flag 1.0" on the HUD now?

GhaleonEB said:
Was discussing this with a GAFer the other night, but my $0.02 on how to fix Hemorrhage.
You need to give my map a whirl. Played CTF and Neutral Assault customs on it earlier, worked like a dream.

Raide

Shake Appeal said:
You need to give my map a whirl. Played CTF and Neutral Assault customs on it earlier, worked like a dream.

Yeah, I like your changes. :D

Any customs going on? I need my fix!!!

KevinRo

More Invasion maps please. Spire and Boneyard are epic, but even with some of the Forgeworld maps thrown in between, that mode is hurting for some environmental variety.

Kuroyume

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Was discussing this with a GAFer the other night, but my $0.02 on how to fix Hemorrhage. I think Valhalla perfected the box canyon style of map, and in particular fixed issues that Blood Gulch had, so it's a bit jarring to go backward.

Valhalla did two big things to improve the map for infantry over Blood Gulch. The first was to add the central hill, which had a nice self-balancing effect: the high point on the map was critical to control, but by virtue of controlling it you were also relatively exposed to fire from everywhere on the map. The other was to lower the side caves down to the ground so they are not a superior firing point.

On Hemorrhage/Gulch, the side caves are the high point on the map, and the superior firing position. So players - especially snipers - perched along the sides have both a view of the map and the protection of the cliffs. There's no mechanism to self-balance the positions other than to add counter-sniping and other such ordnance escalation.

Were I to take a pass at tweaking the map, I'd add some cover to the center - if not a ridge, then a set of stones ala Hang'em High. Then I'd block off the caves, make the edges vertical, and create a new set of stone caves along the ground, so they are not the superior position on the map to be. A way around, but not a position to dominate the center from.

The hill didn't add any balance. In fact it made it unbalanced. Everyone who plays Halo knows that being at a higher point of elevation over everyone else on the map is an advantage both defensively and offensively. I don't see how being on there left you exposed to an attack. In fact it gave one side an advantage over the other. It made the team who controlled the hill have easy shots at people running around and if you tried to attack them good luck. The map as it stands right now is mostly symmetrical so it benefits everyone.

Btw, speaking of Invasion why the hell do Elites get Needle rifles on the first wave of Spire? I thought they added Needle rifles on Boneyard so that the Elites could defend themselves from the pistol and DMR shots and yet on the next map they do the same thing to the Spartans? Wtf... It's not a big deal I guess since it almost always gets to the next stage but it is kind of annoying.

zumphry

Banned
Thanks Gui for helping me out on the Legendary challenge (again). Got those 50 Elites and my last one was the Nightfall assassination one (and I finally got the variant from the one trailer using the knife on the neck :D )

Still open for Firefight matchmaking and regular matchmaking

Hugbot said:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrn *KABOOM*

:lol :lol

To anyone that isn't on the first GAF tag, feel free to send me a friend request. I use the tag a lot, but there is no way to tell if folks on the other tags are online.

Deadly

Devin Olsen said:
For the new page!
-----
Well I went ahead and made another tag for GAF Customs... Check my profile for the GT

Be sure to include the code when adding the GT, otherwise I will assume you're not from GAF and reject it.

How do you add the code? Through voice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom