• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManCannon

Alienshogun said:
They are only getting banned if they are using a macro/program to do it automatically.

But..but..Destructoid said if I play Gruntpocalypse more than once or farm Oni:Sword Base Target Locator kills I'll be banned!

And the only gametype you'll get in MM is SWAT!

And aimbots and hackers are running rampant in Reach!

One of these three statements is (moslty, sadly) true and is being remedied in just 4 short days. :D

ManCannon

Sean P. said:
I'm so tired of not having number ranks, I don't have time for arena and being forced to play social is a joke

"social" (or "competitive" as it's now known) still matches players based on True Skill rankings. You're still playing against people as good (or bad) as yourself.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ManCannon said:
But..but..Destructoid said if I play Gruntpocalypse more than once or farm Oni:Sword Base Target Locator kills I'll be banned!

One of these three statements is (moslty, sadly) true and is being remedied in just 4 short days. :D

I left Destructoid long ago, what a cess pit, almost as bad as IGN, but not quite (community wise), although their blog style isn't really my thing either.

Can't wait for that update next week.

I wish more people would know what they talk about before talking about it. So damn annoying.

ManCannon

Dani said:
Any chance we can have a small write up about the new map variants on Bnet?

Urk will surely detail out the 10/4 matchmaking update in the BWU tomorrow afternoon.

There is... another, though. We have a mid-October update that looks to be the one where 1 or more Forge maps get added. They're in flux right now due to testing but I'm optimistic at least one will make the cut. Mid-month is also when a few more Firefight changes are being implemented and campaign matchmaking is turned on.

Gui_PT

ManCannon said:

Wow, you'll be banned for playing Gruntpocalypse like that?

See wut i did thar?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ManCannon said:
"social" (or "competitive" as it's now known) still matches players based on True Skill rankings. You're still playing against people as good (or bad) as yourself.

This is why I like Halo, "other" games don't do this. I really, really like getting matched up with people like me who regularly get shit on. :lol

Misery loves company.

ManCannon said:
Urk will surely detail out the 10/4 matchmaking update in the BWU tomorrow afternoon.

There is... another, though. We have a mid-October update that looks to be the one where 1 or more Forge maps get added. They're in flux right now due to testing but I'm optimistic at least one will make the cut. Mid-month is also when a few more Firefight changes are being implemented and campaign matchmaking is turned on.

Team Splaser on Pinnacle?

Havok

So what are the chances that the (already pretty decent) Halo series map remakes will find their way into matchmaking? Cause having the best maps from each game to play on would be pretty sweet.

ManCannon said:

Excuses.

Seriously, I don't know why you guys hid the number of the true skill rankings or did away with the H2 or H3 ranking system. I mean, what game besides Halo DOES NOT have cheating or boosting? Do you get my point?

The Arena ranking system defeats the real purpose of having a ranking system. The assist system is broken, the melee is controversial, some people hate the bloom, and the ranking system allows for stat whoring only.

If you can't read what I said here, then you must be so stuffed to the max with Bungie pride.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ChocholateMILK said:
Excuses.

Seriously, I don't know why you guys hid the number of the true skill rankings or did away with the H2 or H3 ranking system. I mean, what game besides Halo DOES NOT have cheating or boosting? Do you get my point?

The Arena ranking system defeats the real purpose of having a ranking system. The assist system is broken, the melee is controversial, some people hate the bloom, and the ranking system allows for stat whoring only.

If you can't read what I said here, then you must be so stuffed to the max with Bungie pride.

I prefer it hidden, stat tracking makes people quit enough as it is.

The things you said some people have a problem with, others also enjoy. Different strokes.

Alucrid

Banned
Buckethead said:
Whats the Target Locator boosting thing?

I've heard about people getting banhammered but that's about it.

I don't think it's even 'that' great. I might've gotten a level off of it from the commendations.

GhaleonEB

ChocholateMILK said:
Excuses.

Seriously, I don't know why you guys hid the number of the true skill rankings or did away with the H2 or H3 ranking system.
Because people saw that number and assumed their goal was to make it bigger, and a lot of people were willing to do bad things to make it bigger; especially since by design only a small handful will reach the peak. The goal of True Skill is not to get the biggest number, but ensure competitive games. So the new ranking system had to divest that kind of pairing from what is displayed.

Removing a visible skill-based rank is one of the smartest things about Reach's investment system.

LiK

the If They Came to Hear Me Beg achievement is impossible. i keep doing what people have said and it's not registering. turn off sprint asap and dropping down for assassination animation. tried Normal, Heroic and Legendary. still nothing...

ManCannon

ChocholateMILK said:
Excuses.

I can read what you said here just fine. You're entitled to your opinion and your own excuses. But hey I'm obviously biased, my Bungie pride will always be >> than my ChocholateMILK pride.

Edit: Oh darn, Urk just told me Black Ops doesn't display a visible skill number either. So much for that would-be suggestion.

Sean P.

Alienshogun said:

The things you said some people have a problem with, others also enjoy. Different strokes.

Stat tracking makes people quit? If you had a number right now and saw that number go down when you quit, you wouldn't quit. Right now there is no number there, and in Arena it doesn't show up either you can just quit and toss that game aside and hope the next ones are better.

ChocholateMILK said:
Excuses.

The REAL purpose of having a ranking system is to ensure that players are facing opponents of similar skill so that matches are close and entertaining.

The bullshit purpose for a ranking system that losers obsess over is how much higher or lower their number is than the random strangers they meet online.

Alienshogun said:

Different strokes for different folks is a true saying.

Is it not hard for anyone new to Reach but not new to MW2 to say that Reach copied MW2 with the load outs and such?

Will Bungie ever patch anything in this game or is it just as is? I think it is permanent. The playlist updates are the only true shining light that anyone who doesn't like certain things about Reach will like (looking at SWAT people).

I assume the MLG playlist will be up for the mid October update.

Alucrid

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Because people saw that number and assumed their goal was to make it bigger, and a lot of people were willing to do bad things to make it bigger; especially since by design only a small handful will reach the peak. The goal of True Skill is not to get the biggest number, but ensure competitive games. So the new ranking system had to divest that kind of pairing from what is displayed.

Removing a visible skill-based rank is one of the smartest things about Reach's investment system.

Wait, do you work at Bungie? I've read some posts that give me the impression you are, but I've read some that give off the opposite. :lol

LiK said:
the If They Came to Hear Me Beg achievement is impossible. i keep doing what people have said and it's not registering. turn off sprint asap and dropping down for assassination animation. tried Normal, Heroic and Legendary. still nothing...

I have this problem, too. Trying not to get frustrated by it, but I've done it a lot.

dslgunstar said:
The REAL purpose of having a ranking system is to ensure that players are facing opponents of similar skill so that matches are close and entertaining.

The bullshit purpose for a ranking system that losers obsess over is how much higher or lower their number is than the random strangers they meet online.

You just made the biggest assumption ever.

In H3, people who played ranked cared about their ranking and people who didn't played social. So I guess you are saying all ranked people are "losers"?

Yeah that makes a lot of sense....

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ChocholateMILK said:

Is it not hard for anyone new to Reach but not new to MW2 to say that Reach copied MW2 with the load outs and such?

Will Bungie ever patch anything in this game or is it just as is? I think it is permanent. The playlist updates are the only true shining light that anyone who doesn't like certain things about Reach will like (looking at SWAT people).

Did you really just say that MW2 started "classes" or "loadouts", really? Come on man.

Things are going to change with time, the game isn't even a month old yet, cool your jets.

LiK

blackMamba1187 said:
I have this problem, too. Trying not to get frustrated by it, but I've done it a lot.

i tried for 1 1/2 hours straight and succeeded but no achievement. sigh

ChocholateMILK said:

*Shakes head*

Loadouts in MW2 are completely customizable. Reach is much closer to Team Fortress 2, where each loadout - or class - is predefined and fixed according to balance.

ManCannon

ChocholateMILK said:

Actually since they've yet to send over any specs or files yet, there's no way it'll be added in October. Perhaps in November but until we get their proposed spec and files we can't commit to when it will get added. I welcome it, just waiting on them (and I think both sides agree on not just rushing something out and changing it every month).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think True Skill was a little buggy today. Me and my friends got like 3 steak dinners and I got my first perfection lol. I was also told by a Lt Colonel that I should get a life after we beat him so badly. I'm just a warrant officer grade 3 :/ lolol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sean P. said:
Stat tracking makes people quit? If you had a number right now and saw that number go down when you quit, you wouldn't quit. Right now there is no number there, and in Arena it doesn't show up either you can just quit and toss that game aside and hope the next ones are better.

If they are getting shit in in a bad way yes, because their stats will only get worse from that game. Tt's been that way since Quake world started stat tracking back in the 90s (my earliest memory of stat tracking), the minute they removed it/hid it, quitting became a lot less.

And you're wrong, quitting in Arena still tracks, and effects your rating. If you were getting shit on, it still knows you got shit on.

NH Apache

Banned
ChocholateMILK said:

I'd like you to elaborate on the "and such" part of that argument, please. Patch what?

Also, you can see your rank in Arena. That is what it is there for, isn't it? Why do you care about your rank outside of that?

Socially Awkward Penguin - 500 Cr.

During multiplayer matchmaking accidentally accept a friend request from the most annoying person on your team. Challenge is not completed unless you accidentally send a party invite when you meant to delete new friend.

(I did this one already Bungie)

Sean P.

Tashi0106 said:
I think True Skill was a little buggy today. Me and my friends got like 3 steak dinners and I got my first perfection lol. I was also told by a Lt Colonel that I should get a life after we beat him so badly. I'm just a warrant officer grade 3 :/ lolol

This happens in most all of my matches it seems. I'm not getting perfections or anything but hte fact that I can go +7 and have multiple people on my team over -7 means your ranking system isn't working.

Not to mention all I played in Halo 3 was Snipers,Swat, and Slayer. Now they are all jumbled into one clusterfuck and you can't switch playlists when you get tired of one and work on your level in the other.

ChocholateMILK said:
You just made the biggest assumption ever.

In H3, people who played ranked cared about their ranking and people who didn't played social. So I guess you are saying all ranked people are "losers"?

Yeah that makes a lot of sense....

No, not all the players that played ranked are losers, just the ones that cared more about how big the number beside their name was than the fact that they were playing competitive matches. There are plenty of losers that would LOVE to be matched up against nothing but noobs if it meant marching up the ranks to 50.

I played ranked in Halo 2 and Halo 3. I was in the 40s in Team Slayer, Team Objective and whatever the hell passed for BTB before Bungie screwed around with it. I didnt care what the number was, I didn't obsess over grinding out to level 50, because honestly it didn't freaking matter. I was playing against people of similar skill, with a similar attitude.

Social was fun, but as a Brigadier General, I was thrown into matches with everybody from 5-star generals to new recruits. They were still fun, but the matches were typically less close and people had all sorts of conflicting attitudes from 'win win win' to 'dude, Im so high right now'.

Ranked is about playing in a competitive environment. Competitive does not mean 'oh my pointless number is higher than yours', competitive means closely fought, intense matches.

Alienshogun said:
Did you really just say that MW2 started "classes" or "loadouts", really? Come on man.

Things are going to change with time, the game isn't even a month old yet, cool your jets.

OK OK, sorry. I'll cool my jets. *calming down down and counting to 100* :D

ManCannon said:
Actually since they've yet to send over any specs or files yet, there's no way it'll be added in October. Perhaps in November but until we get their proposed spec and files we can't commit to when it will get added. I welcome it, just waiting on them (and I think both sides agree on not just rushing something out and changing it every month).

That is good. Anyway, I want to apologize for criticizing your uber awesome game. And I am not being sarcastic.

As far as MLG goes, I don't even like their settings. I loved the slayer pro variant that was in Arena. I don't know why you guys are taking it out. Me loves Slayer Pro.

Again, I want to apologize for everyone. Sorry.

Sean P.

Alienshogun said:
If they are getting shit in in a bad way yes, because their stats will only get worse from that game. Tt's been that way since Quake world started stat tracking back in the 90s (my earliest memory of stat tracking), the minute they removed it/hid it, quitting became a lot less.

And you're wrong, quitting in Arena still tracks, and effects your rating. If you were getting shit on, it still knows you got shit on.

What? If I had a number rank i would NOT quit. I would only quit due to unplayable games in H3 from lag/network manipulation.

In reach I quit a lot more often because I don't want to waste what little time I have playing with a team that doesn't know how to walk in Halo.

Alucrid

Banned
LiK said:
do you remember what location there?

Right after you kill the very first elite at the start of the level he kills the one at the bottom of the cliff off to the left.

Just in case Nightfall isn't the name (I forget) it's the sniper mission with Jun.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sean P. said:
What? If I had a number rank i would NOT quit. I would only quit due to unplayable games in H3 from lag/network manipulation.

In reach I quit a lot more often because I don't want to waste what little time I have playing with a team that doesn't know how to walk in Halo.

YOU are not a representation of people as a whole; shed that false consensus effect.

LiK

Alucrid said:
Right after you kill the very first elite at the start of the level he kills the one at the bottom of the cliff off to the left.

Just in case Nightfall isn't the name (I forget) it's the sniper mission with Jun.

cool, i'll try that. hope i dont need sprint to do it.

Aggrotek

ChocholateMILK said:

That is good. Anyway, I want to apologize for criticizing your uber awesome game. And I am not being sarcastic.

As far as MLG goes, I don't even like their settings. I loved the slayer pro variant that was in Arena. I don't know why you guys are taking it out. Me loves Slayer Pro.

I completely agree. I still have no idea why they are taking it out.

Sean P.

Alienshogun said:
YOU are not a representation of people as a whole; shed that false consensus effect.

I'm just saying that to me the new ranking system only works for a niche of the community and they alienated a whole hell of a lot of players who have very tight schedules

Aggrotek said:
I completely agree. I still have no idea why they are taking it out.

Slayer Pro is fine, but it feels a little....simple.

Reach added armor abilities into the sandbox, and they bring so many great tactical wrinkles into the combat. Really adds some variety to how encounters play out, and gives players new options for how to approach battles.

So taking that out just for some misguided ideal of 'purity' seems a little silly.

But I'll take Slayer Pro over Elite Slayer, SWAT or Snipers ANY DAY.

Sean P. said:
I'm just saying that to me the new ranking system only works for a niche of the community and they alienated a whole hell of a lot of players who have very tight schedules

This doesn't make any sense. Arena requires LESS time investment to get a high rank than Halo 3's system. You need to play like 3 games for 7 days. The only rank that requires playing everyday is Onyx, and that's only because it's such a small fraction of the population. Don't play for a few days and somebody in Gold might steal your spot.

ManCannon

ChocholateMILK said:

No apologies necessary here, anyone is free to criticize whatever they want as far as I'm concerned (not an uncommon occurence here). For some reason I was just pulled into responding to you. It's actually prompted me to ping our engineers for more insights into the similarities/differences between Reach and Halo 3 behind the scenes - what's actually going on - not just the perceptions associated with a ranking number. I'll share my findings.

Regarding the Slayer PRO in Arena - it's being yanked because it's actually not the same Slayer PRO as you'll find elsewhere in Matchmaking which is DMR+SPRINT and NO RADAR. The variant in Arena was technically mis-named. (and before anyone asks about a no-radar option in Arena - I've been told it won't be there in season 2 but will likely exist either as a voting option or a replacement entirely for season 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom