• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai-kun

Banned
Alucrid said:
Oh, thanks to the bulletproof challenge I can't get La Roux's song out of my head now.

Success! I paid Sketch a hefty sum to put up today's Challenge! :D

This time baby~

P.S. sketch i will give you real money dollars to make a lady gaga themed challenge

Some of those daily challenges are ridiculous. Get 7 different spree kills in one Firefight match. I'm trying to level up, not kill myself. It's still a great game.

Alienshogun said:
Try sniperfight and see.

GP worked fine for me, but I know I only played those two modes today aside from regular MM.

I'll try it, not a lot of credits at least so no real loss if I can't.

Trasher

Sai-kun said:
Success! I paid Sketch a hefty sum to put up today's Challenge! :D

This time baby~

P.S. sketch i will give you real money dollars to make a lady gaga themed challenge
That's not Brian's job. Try bribing Luke. Although I believe these challenges were all made a long time ago. :p

Sai-kun

Banned
Trasher said:
That's not Brian's job. Try bribing Luke. Although I believe these challenges were all made a long time ago. :p

Oh right. Well I'm sure they can still implement them somehow or edit them.

p.s. luke i will give you real money dollars to make a lady gaga themed challenge

Hey You said:
Posted yet?

Bungie vs Forum Ninjas Humpday.

Edit: I hope I don't bring up the HaloGaf Humpday "discussions" :lol

Well at least this confirms that Bungie is willing to do BTB Humpdays. That should get a lot more people in. Honestly a lot of deserving people are going to miss out so the least Bungie could do is partake in HaloGaf Customs. :D Give everyone a chance to play/ kill with them.

Also resposting this cos it ended up being the last thing on the last page:

I just thought of something.

I remember when the Tip of the Spear opening cutscene was shown in a trailer or vidoc or something. I got REALLY excited about having a super large scale battle in Reach. Turns out that the battles in Reach actually seem pretty small scale, there wasnt really an epic Tank run, and even the 3 way battles in Halo 1 seem to have had more enemies on screen than Reach does at times.

Wasnt Reach supposed to have lthe ability to have like 40 enemies on screen at once? Or am I just missing out on the bigger battles because I havent done 4 player Co-op?

This isnt really a complaint, more enemies doesnt always mean more fun, and Reach has a REALLY fun campaign, but I was really hoping for a epic battle when seeing the Tip of the Spear cutscene in that trailer. A HUGE scale battle where the AI actually fights eachother around you would have been awesome.

Im not sure why, but it really feels like there were few moments in Reach where you had like an army of marines with you. The Silent Cartographer Beach landing gave me that sense (Illusion?) of being one unit in a pretty epic battle (although after the first time playing I realized it was a pretty small battle).

GhaleonEB

Luke clearly has the variables to come with some crazy Challenges, but the early ones seem designed to encourage new players to try the various gameplay modes, rather than do crazy stuff. He's already said some more interesting/challenging/weird stuff is in the pipe. We're going to have a couple years worth of these things.

My random suggestion of the day: Monkey Dance: Kill a hammer-wielding Brute Chieftain with a melee blow in Campaign, on Legendary.

Trasher

GhaleonEB said:
Luke clearly has the variables to come with some crazy Challenges, but the early ones seem designed to encourage new players to try the various gameplay modes, rather than do crazy stuff. He's already said some more interesting/challenging/weird stuff is in the pipe. We're going to have a couple years worth of these things.

My random suggestion of the day: Monkey Dance: Kill a hammer-wielding Brute Chieftain with a melee blow in Campaign, on Legendary.
He told me that he's got quite the sizable spreadsheet full of challenges (pushing 500), and has a knob to turn up their difficulty as well. Gotta give the man some credit for coming up with half a thousand different challenges. My lord.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I need someone to think of a clever Team name that includes the word Reach.

Out of Reach and Reach around are taken.

zumphry

Banned
Hey You said:
Posted yet?

Bungie vs Forum Ninjas Humpday.

Edit: I hope I don't bring up the HaloGaf Humpday "discussions" :lol

I had money on the Ninjas getting their asses kicked (<3 u butane & drewaredo). Learned about it due to a toot that just said "WE WON!"

Sai-kun said:

Was there any doubt the train in any remake wouldn't be a killball?

Tashi0106 said:

"Can't Reach Us" or something similar?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ok we're dropping the idea that it has to include Reach. Sorry.

Keep thinking of cool, funny, clever team names. Right now "3 guys and a Tashi" is leading the votes. :lol

LiK said:
ugh, just made like 20 successful assassinations on the Elite in Nightfall but achievement didn't unlock. i'll try again tomorrow. dammit.
For what it's worth I ended up getting it in Pillar of Autumn.

Reach for the Skkkyyyy

218ol5.jpg

LiK

Neuromancer said:
For what it's worth I ended up getting it in Pillar of Autumn.

yea, i went back and tried again for 30 minutes. 90% success but still nothing unlocked. sigh.

Azar

What's more annoying: assholes who grab the sniper rifle and jetpack on top of asylum, or the fact that bungie didn't put a kill barrier up there to prevent them from doing so? So fucking frustrating.

LiK said:
yea, i went back and tried again for 30 minutes. 90% success but still nothing unlocked. sigh.
Yeah I think it's glitched. The thing that helped the most was this, straight from Bungie:

If your lunge is too forward it will slow your fall and this achievement will not be triggered as you are no longer traveling at a terminal velocity. Try lunging straight down on the target Elite’s head as you are falling so you don’t lose terminal velocity. This usually takes multiple attempts and can be tough to trigger. Don’t give up!

LiK

Neuromancer said:
Yeah I think it's glitched. The thing that helped the most was this, straight from Bungie:

ah ok, damn, even Bungie had to clarify it. will try again tomorrow.

LiK said:
ah ok, damn, even Bungie had to clarify it. will try again tomorrow.

What I did was to slightly overshoot in the intitial leap and pull back so I was directly over the Elite's head as I was falling. Got it on my fourth try.

LiK

Thagomizer said:
What I did was to slightly overshoot in the intitial leap and pull back so I was directly over the Elite's head as I was falling. Got it on my fourth try.

i shall take your advice

zumphry

Banned
Hey neo, I don't know if you've seen this or not, but I've rendered it. :lol

(forwarding through about 4 minutes of Plasma Pistol+Nerfle due to that Challenge the other day was boring :lol )

Havok

Azar said:
What's more annoying: assholes who grab the sniper rifle and jetpack on top of asylum, or the fact that bungie didn't put a kill barrier up there to prevent them from doing so? So fucking frustrating.
You don't even have to jetpack up. Just use the ramped pieces and jump to the top of the sniper structure. It's a huge oversight. Jetpacks on Pinnacle are horribly broken, however.

Kujo

Louis Wu said:
Second Bulltrue in two days where I actually died while getting it. This doesn't make any sense to me... if I got the Bulltrue, why would I die?
I had the dumbest thing happen the other day in Infection. Got a Bulltrue against a zombie, but died as well. It then classified my Bulltrue as a betrayal because in that split second I became his teammate, smh.

Victrix

*beard*
Lazslo said:
4 days can not come soon enough. Swat is so annoying and it seems like everyone votes for it.

You know what I don't understand about SWAT?

A lot of the people who vote for it are staggeringly terrible at SWAT (?????)

I'm hardly amazing, but it isn't difficult to just go on a wild spree in SWAT

Let's come up with theories as to why SWAT is popular

1) All the MW2 kids are playing Reach right now, and it's the closest thing they have to home

2) Average or new Reach players are frustrated by how difficult it is to take people down in the normal modes, so SWAT is a chance for them to get kills without having to think about armor abilities + grenades + melee + shields + headshots + weapon switching + power weapons

3) Protenders think it's a super cool DMR practice mode to show your headshot skillz

4) Timmy saw that sweet azz sniper scope montage on youtube with the bitchin tunes, and SWAT is just like playing a montage (you can even play your own shitty music at home!)

5) XBL is a horrible place

bobs99 ... said:

I remember when the Tip of the Spear opening cutscene was shown in a trailer or vidoc or something. I got REALLY excited about having a super large scale battle in Reach. Turns out that the battles in Reach actually seem pretty small scale, there wasnt really an epic Tank run, and even the 3 way battles in Halo 1 seem to have had more enemies on screen than Reach does at times.

Wasnt Reach supposed to have lthe ability to have like 40 enemies on screen at once? Or am I just missing out on the bigger battles because I havent done 4 player Co-op?

This isnt really a complaint, more enemies doesnt always mean more fun, and Reach has a REALLY fun campaign, but I was really hoping for a epic battle when seeing the Tip of the Spear cutscene in that trailer. A HUGE scale battle where the AI actually fights eachother around you would have been awesome.

Im not sure why, but it really feels like there were few moments in Reach where you had like an army of marines with you. The Silent Cartographer Beach landing gave me that sense (Illusion?) of being one unit in a pretty epic battle (although after the first time playing I realized it was a pretty small battle).

Exactly. The standards for immersion have gone up. Halo was great at giving that illusion of huge battles at the time, but has since been outdone by the likes of Call of Duty. Bungie is never going to put that much action on-screen at once, because their AI isn't running the same routes and tactics over and over. Once the enemies spawn, they're off the leash.

I don't have a problem with keeping to smaller, tactical skirmishes, because most of the ones in Reach were quite good. It was actually the long vehicle sections that I got bored with. My problem was that the combat in the game didnt mesh with the context. It seemed as though, save Kat's wacky plan in Long Night of Solace and the two missions at sword base, the Spartans were just being used in the same capacity as standard grunts.

I would have preferred to feel like Noble Team was a super elite, special ops unit tasked with only the most high profile, dangerous, black-ops style missions. Missions like the one Kat came up with. That way, it would make sense to have smaller combat most of the time, cause you'd be a scalpel instead of a hammer in the war against the Covenant.

Victrix said:
You know what I don't understand about SWAT?

A lot of the people who vote for it are staggeringly terrible at SWAT (?????)

I'm hardly amazing, but it isn't difficult to just go on a wild spree in SWAT

Let's come up with theories as to why SWAT is popular

1) All the MW2 kids are playing Reach right now, and it's the closest thing they have to home

2) Average or new Reach players are frustrated by how difficult it is to take people down in the normal modes, so SWAT is a chance for them to get kills without having to think about armor abilities + grenades + melee + shields + headshots + weapon switching + power weapons

3) Protenders think it's a super cool DMR practice mode to show your headshot skillz

4) Timmy saw that sweet azz sniper scope montage on youtube with the bitchin tunes, and SWAT is just like playing a montage (you can even play your own shitty music at home!)

5) XBL is a horrible place

They're terrible at SWAT but even worse at regular Halo. Their tiny brains cannot comprehend the notion that it takes more than one shot to kill or melee to kill. Nor are they willing to entertain the notion of armor abilities or teamwork.

It's hilarious to get messages after a game of SWAT saying 'I could own you 1v1'...when I say 'lets do it' and pick an actual Slayer gametype, they start whining. I tell them 'if they want to play that pussy stuff, go back to COD'. Now I dont actually believe COD is for pussies, but its clearly the game of choice for this type of person, and these people are insanely insecure. So insulting their game of choice AND questioning their manhood in the same breath drives them NUTZ! :lol

Azar said:

Don't worry they have 10 long fucking seconds to stay up there then just hop down and come back up.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
bobs99 ... said:

The fly over in Exodus was pretty epic.

Other than that, there's a lot of battle going on in the background/skyboxes.

Bungie should just erase swat from the game.

Separate playlist? They've bought the game now. They can go back to CoD.

After all that's what they'll be doing on november, so why bother?:lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:

Reach your ankles.

metareferential said:
Bungie should just erase swat from the game.

Separate playlist? They've bought the game now. They can go back to CoD.

After all that's what they'll be doing on november, so why bother?:lol

I'll need it for when headshot honcho comes back around. :D

U2NUMB

Chauncy Talon said:
Some of those daily challenges are ridiculous. Get 7 different spree kills in one Firefight match. I'm trying to level up, not kill myself. It's still a great game.

Ok little hint on this one.. score attack.. Gruntpocalypse... easy to line up and head shot to a spree..

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
U2NUMB said:
Ok little hint on this one.. score attack.. Gruntpocalypse... easy to line up and head shot to a spree..

Actually sniper attack is easier, Trasher said this over and over. Sniper gets its own sprees, then all you need is a rampage. Done in about a minute or two.

Oozer3993

Tashi0106 said:
Ok we're dropping the idea that it has to include Reach. Sorry.

Keep thinking of cool, funny, clever team names. Right now "3 guys and a Tashi" is leading the votes. :lol

Team Jacob.

Luke's Beard Official Fan Club

Team I Put Crest On My Reach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom