• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEH-CJ

Banned
anyone in AUS looking for a new 360 slim ? I bought the console brand new, its not even 3 weeks old. there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I bought it for halo reach but the game ended up being underwhelming and I'm not really into gears or fable so I have no need to hang on to it. I have no idea how much to sell it for so someone make an offer.

dslgunstar said:
Fine. I'm out.
If your response to someone telling you you're a crybaby is to google (I hope you had to google) for pictures of dead babies with blood coming out of their head, I think you've got more to worry about than your shots "not hitting".

The ranking system is still worthless so long as it resets.

That picture made me really sad. At least post some hot nudez if you're going to account suicide man. That pic is not only NSFW, it's one that people should never ever have to see, in real life or on the internet.

I did a double-take and said DAMN WTF.

Dani said:
The most sick post I ever had the misfortune to witness. Sick f**K.

Yeah, that's the rarely seen top-tier of fucked up.

FunkyMunkey said:
The ranking system is still worthless so long as it resets.
It keeps track of previous seasons, though. So if you get Iron this season and Bronze the next, you and anyone else who views your service record can see that you improved. And over time you build up a 'baseball' card of your Arena performance.

catfish said:
I bet he's also one of those jerks that quits 1 second after his team loses so I have to watch a loading screen for 5 minutes after I win a game just to see the post game screen.
Oh God I hate this.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
catfish said:
Reach around

Lol did you only read the first sentence of my post? I said Out of Reach and Reach around were already taken. Thanks for the effort though

And I didn't post that picture to bug you. I posted it to show you what you sound like.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Dani said:
The most sick post I ever had the misfortune to witness. Sick f**K.

why the fuck isn't that asshole banned yet. All he does is spam this topic with how broken reach is and how proud he is of quitting games he does poorly at.

He also posts pictures of dead babies. He fills the definition of 'cock' remarkably well.

I bet he's also one of those jerks that quits 1 second after his team loses so I have to watch a loading screen for 5 minutes after I win a game just to see the post game screen. One of these things actually crashed my xbox once :lol

Ok, I'll never bring up the melee question again :lol

So sad :(

I can stand anything, but that was unexpected and way out of control, come on. What the fuck.

Shake Appeal said:
It keeps track of previous seasons, though. So if you get Iron this season and Bronze the next, you and anyone else who views your service record can see that you improved. And over time you build up a 'baseball' card of your Arena performance.

True, but it's just too much trouble compared to seeing a shiny number next to your name imo. I love the idea and intentions of Arena, though, and I'm happy a lot of people are enjoying it so far.

Raide

Chinner said:
frankly i dislike babies so i think he should post the picture again.

baby-swan-3.jpg

You Monster!!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Lol did you only read the first sentence of my post? I said Out of Reach and Reach around were already taken. Thanks for the effort though

SHIT I thought I had a chance to be funny. my bad.

'reach for a beer' ?

'I can't reach my controller please get it for me'

'you're reaching' or 'I'm reaching' or just 'reaching'

'the word reach sounds weird if you keep repeating it'

'reach for the stars' is a well known saying, maybe that (must be taken)

this is hard I'm giving up. Reach is a bad word to make clever. Reach around is the funniest/most clever title possible.

Chinner said:
frankly i dislike babies so i think he should post the picture again.
ducks.jpg

Jex

metareferential said:
Ok, I'll never bring up the melee question again :lol

So sad :(

I can stand anything, but that was unexpected and way out of control, come on. What the fuck.
Talking about melee leads to pictures of dead babies, what the hell.

FunkyMunkey said:
True, but it's just too much trouble compared to seeing a shiny number next to your name imo. I love the idea and intentions of Arena, though, and I'm pleased a lot of the fans are enjoying it so far.
I think what bugs a lot of people is they want their rank to be permanent, to be emblematic of how good they are For All Time. Whereas Reach (and the Arena) sort of dare to tell the average shooter fan they're only as good as their last game.

Like, it's cool when teams win trophies in sports. But come the start of the new season, they have to do it all again. Everyone accepts this as standard in sports, but in videogames we're used to having 'earned' a certain rank, and expect it to always shine next to our name.

I really, really like Arena system on the meta/macro level, I just wish there were a few tweaks (assists, radar, power weapons, magnum in all gametypes) to make it even better.

Tashi

catfish said:
SHIT I thought I had a chance to be funny. my bad.

'reach for a beer' ?

'I can't reach my controller please get it for me'

'you're reaching' or 'I'm reaching' or just 'reaching'

'the word reach sounds weird if you keep repeating it'

'reach for the stars' is a well known saying, maybe that (must be taken)

this is hard I'm giving up. Reach is a bad word to make clever. Reach around is the funniest/most clever title possible.

It's ok. We're ditching the whole Reach team name thing anyway. It might just be "3 guys and a Tashi"

Shoogoo said:
A couple of days ago you admit being an asshole who leaves all the time and now you post that shit?

Way to be loved around here

Loos like he quit this thread too amirite? Maybe someone voted for....

SWAT

AHAHAHAHAh...haha.....ha....ahem

Nothing to see here folks.

Shake Appeal said:
I think what bugs a lot of people is they want their rank to be permanent, to be emblematic of how good they are For All Time. Whereas Reach (and the Arena) sort of dare to tell the average shooter fan they're only as good as their last game.

Like, it's cool when teams win trophies in sports. But come the start of the new season, they have to do it all again. Everyone accepts this as standard in sports, but in videogames we're used to having 'earned' a certain rank, and expect it to always shine next to our name.

I really, really like Arena system on the meta/macro level, I just wish there were a few tweaks (assists, radar, power weapons, magnum in all gametypes) to make it even better.

I've read people complaining because in Reach there's no reason to play: trueskill is hidden, and the arena resets, so why bother to be good?

The Arena is a great way to put online gaming in a right perspective: the analogy with sports is perfect. But this is the generation of achievements, trophies and Call of Duty.

And I say that because Cod4 and sequels brought to the industry a model that is always rewarding the player, no matter what he does. You shoot badly and only get a bullet to hit? Nevermind, you'll see some numbers popping up, so you will feel proud.

These sort of things encourage selfish play and worthless grinding. You play to rank, that's it. To show off your rank. And no matter how good or how long you play.

It's there.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
halo has that in terms of progression with the armory and your 'rank' for the grinders.

For the skill players they have the arena, so if you are hardcore, you will have the emblem.

They also have trueskill in standard games right? Like teamslayer? I've noticed my ratio getting closer to 1:1 now than when it started, does this mean that I'm getting matched with people on my level now so I'm evening out? That's kind of frustrating, I feel like I'm getting worse, but I might just be playing people on my level. Sometimes you need to feel like a monster :lol

Well people know the rank is just there to show how long you played and nothing else.

And the armory is just cosmethic, so I don't think it's so well received. Maybe I'm just being to negative about gamers.

Popeck

Tashi0106 said:
It's ok. We're ditching the whole Reach team name thing anyway. It might just be "3 guys and a Tashi"
Why not "Reach and Flexibility"! (Players of Mass Effect 2 might understand this.)

Aww, the ducks. =(

remz

Call me shallow but i sort of love the armory shit, the fanatical race to get a new helmet or chunk of armor is making me want to play way more then COD 4 ever did ( a game which i never bothered reaching the top rank in)

i just love a good shiny new helmet.

also like the arena stuff too.

remz said:
Call me shallow but i sort of love the armory shit, the fanatical race to get a new helmet or chunk of armor is making me want to play way more then COD 4 ever did ( a game which i never bothered reaching the top rank in)

i just love a good shiny new helmet.

also like the arena stuff too.

I love the Armory items as well, in fact, I wish the armor and color options made an even bigger change to how the Spartans look. The secondary colors on the Arms and Legs should've remained whichever color you picked even when on Red vs. Blue teams to really give everyone a unique look. I also wish the chest Armor options were all radically different instead off "kind of different from the other ones" we have now.

Raide

Net_Wrecker said:
I love the Armory items as well, in fact, I wish the armor and color options made an even bigger change to how the Spartans look. The secondary colors on the Arms and Legs should've remained whichever color you picked even when on Red vs. Blue teams to really give everyone a unique look. I also wish the chest Armor options were all radically different instead off "kind of different from the other ones" we have now.

I cannot wait till the WoW style spiky shoulders turn up. :D

Louis Wu said:
Second Bulltrue in two days where I actually died while getting it. This doesn't make any sense to me... if I got the Bulltrue, why would I die?

A lot of people seem to be reporting this as a glitch, when it's actually due to a change in the networking.

In Halo 3, whoever got to the host first would win (except for melee vs melee which was an exception). I might shoot you in the head with the BR and you do the same for me, but you were closer to the host so you'd get the kill. This meant that double deaths were exceptionally rare.

In Reach this was changed so that within a time limit (300ms in the Beta), if two players both think they killed each other before they receive word from the host that they're dead, the game will kill both players. It's much fairer because it gives the host or those that live closer to the host much less of an advantage, but does have the downside that double deaths are more common.

When it comes to stuff like Bulltrue medals, you think you killed the lunging player, the guy with the sword thinks he killed you, and so the host compromises by saying you're both right, and killing both of you. So that's why you get the medal but still die.

Tashi

Photolysis said:
A lot of people seem to be reporting this as a glitch, when it's actually due to a change in the networking.

In Halo 3, whoever got to the host first would win (except for melee vs melee which was an exception). I might shoot you in the head with the BR and you do the same for me, but you were closer to the host so you'd get the kill. This meant that double deaths were exceptionally rare.

In Reach this was changed so that within a 300ms limit, if two players both think they killed each other before they receive word from the host that they're dead, the game will kill both players. It's much fairer because it gives the host or those that live closer to the host much less of an advantage, but does have the downside that double deaths are more common.

When it comes to stuff like Bulltrue medals, you think you killed the lunging player, the guy with the sword thinks he killed you, and so the host compromises by saying you're both right, and killing both of you. So that's why you get the medal but still die.

This seems to have been refined since the Beta though. I'm not getting nearly as many simultaneous gun kills this time around.

Photolysis said:

In Reach this was changed so that within a 300ms limit, if two players both think they killed each other before they receive word from the host that they're dead, the game will kill both players. It's much fairer because it gives the host or those that live closer to the host much less of an advantage, but does have the downside that double deaths are more common.

I prefer this method over closer to host = win, less stress when you know you shot him yet he beats you down anyway.

Gears could take some notes about this method, many times I have died in that game despite shooting my shotgun first.

Tashi0106 said:
This seems to have been refined since the Beta though. I'm not getting nearly as many simultaneous gun kills this time around.

The window might have been shortened actually - my 300ms figure was the beta value. I'll ask about that at some point.

I like the sytem because it's more tolerant of European connections to American hosts. I'll take the 'tie' every time, thanks.

In general, Reach's netcode is phenomenal. I just wish it didn't migrate the host so frequently. And while we're making wishes, I wish that multiplayer Campaign/FF was more playable.

Edit: seems to be putting up final Arena season placements right now. I can see that Self Induced finished top 20% Gold, for instance.

Raide

Gunslinger
Kill 75 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

1200cR A Great Friend
Earn 30 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking.

1000cR Double Nickels
Earn 2 Killing Sprees in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

2500cR The Love of the Game

Complete 17 games in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom