• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alienshogun said:
I'll need it for when headshot honcho comes back around. :D

I did it and will still do it within standard Halo gamemodes.

Just play Invasion and you get as many headshots as you want, provided you change your playstyle accordingly.

SWAT is a poor mode. More so in Reach, where the sandbox has expanded so much.

How about Lock SWAT? No sprint, everyone with armor lock.

That should make the Cod-babies really angry :lol

Holy shit. Anybody that isn't feeling the Reach soundtrack should try playing the game with Trent Reznor's score for The Social Network. Industrial and dark, it suits the mood pretty well IMO.

unomas

Banned
Finally achieved Warrant Officer Level 2 last night, but yes the daily challenges were rediculous yesterday, today's seem much more reasonable in firefight, but I'm not playing this evening. Is snipers getting added to Swat for team slayer games? Swat is alright once in a great while, but I just can't stand snipes. It will be interesting to see how many people are in the Swat playlist though compared to team slayer. To me classic slayer seems so much more tactical in that you have a chance to get a kill without camping, in Swat it's usually first guy to pop their head out gets killed, and I do well in Swat but don't want to play it all the time.

Scarecrow

Jeez. I've lost any kind of skill I never had in the first place. I'm tired of melee-ing a dude in the back to take down his shields, and he just turns around and pops me with the dmr a bunch till I die while I struggle to pull off a finishing head shot. anyone else have any strings of impotence?

unomas said:
Finally achieved Warrant Officer Level 2 last night, but yes the daily challenges were rediculous yesterday, today's seem much more reasonable in firefight, but I'm not playing this evening. Is snipers getting added to Swat for team slayer games? Swat is alright once in a great while, but I just can't stand snipes. It will be interesting to see how many people are in the Swat playlist though compared to team slayer. To me classic slayer seems so much more tactical in that you have a chance to get a kill without camping, in Swat it's usually first guy to pop their head out gets killed, and I do well in Swat but don't want to play it all the time.

You know nothing of the pain that is about to come. Nothing.

ChocholateMILK said:
Excuses.

Seriously, I don't know why you guys hid the number of the true skill rankings or did away with the H2 or H3 ranking system. I mean, what game besides Halo DOES NOT have cheating or boosting? Do you get my point?

The Arena ranking system defeats the real purpose of having a ranking system. The assist system is broken, the melee is controversial, some people hate the bloom, and the ranking system allows for stat whoring only.

If you can't read what I said here, then you must be so stuffed to the max with Bungie pride.

ChocholateMILK
Stuffed to the max with Bungie pride
(Yesterday, 08:26 PM)

(that would be a great tag)

dslgunstar said:
I'm feeling that 66K of pain right now as a matter of fact.

unomas

Banned
dslgunstar said:

Haha, yeah I'm thinking getting to Captain is going to absolutely brutalize me if I try to do it, I feel like I'm grinding already and I've only got a touch over 1,000 kills in online multiplayer, beating the campaign on Legendary helped with credits early on. I've got school starting in about 3 weeks and I work full time so my leveling up either needs to happen soon or it might come to a screeching halt! ;)

For those of you ranking up are you bothering with the daily challenges or just playing? I'll go for the daily challenges if I feel like they're reasonable, but only if they apply to muliplayer for the most part.

enzo_gt said:
Just took a look at the Rank List on Halopedia and.. WHAT THE FUCK THIS DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE.

That sad thing is, there will people that get those ranks pretty quick simply because they play so damn much.

I honestly don't know how the people that have made it to Lt. Col have done ANYTHING other than play Halo Reach for 2 weeks straight. Putting in work, friends, physical activity...I've still be playing Reach like 3 hours a night and I'm only Captain Grade 2.

Long Night of Solace + Solo Legendary = OMG SO HARD

I finally beat it after about 3 hours of total play time. It's not the actual space combat that was hard (like I thought it would be), it was all the rest. SOOO hard! But so rewarding. :D

What's your guys' hurry to rank up?

-Yeti said:
Long Night of Solace + Solo Legendary = OMG SO HARD

I finally beat it after about 3 hours of total play time. It's not the actual space combat that was hard (like I thought it would be), it was all the rest. SOOO hard! But so rewarding. :D

Shit. The last level makes that level it's bitch. Did for me anyway.

Sai-kun

Banned
Sorry for bailing out on you guys, Dani/Jiro/Cocop/Voc!

My bf was sleeping right behind me, and he said it was fine that I could play but I could tell the flashing from the tv was bothering him, so I just bailed to finish that last challenge and now I'm gonna sleep!

*snore* z.z

GhaleonEB

So here's a quick video tour of Crossroads, which gives a better feel of its flow than pictures. Two caveats: I'm a crappy driver, and there's about a dozen places where I've yet to place edging around the outside - you'll know both when you see them. The consensus from Forge testers is that it's fairly fun to drive on, which is a relief since getting it to that state is what's taken so long. The outside edging is the last area to need geometry, but I am too tired to finish it tonight. Tomorrow I'll wrap that up and do the rest of the weapons, and maybe get into the spawns.

Deadly

Finally got Captain rank. Pissed though because I thought the Commander helmet was going to unlock but it didn't =(

zero margin said:
Shit. The last level makes that level it's bitch. Did for me anyway.

Oh man, don't even remind me. I think I'm actually gonna have to find a walkthrough of that map before I actually tackle it.

big ander

GhaleonEB said:
So here's a quick video tour of Crossroads, which gives a better feel of its flow than pictures. Two caveats: I'm a crappy driver, and there's about a dozen places where I've yet to place edging around the outside - you'll know both when you see them. The consensus from Forge testers is that it's fairly fun to drive on, which is a relief since getting it to that state is what's taken so long. The outside edging is the last area to need geometry, but I am too tired to finish it tonight. Tomorrow I'll wrap that up and do the rest of the weapons, and maybe get into the spawns.
Looks very interesting. I can't say because I haven't played it yet, but the bottom level looks more open for driving, which is a cool feature because the bases are higher up, so vehicle runs will have to be more coordinated. Of course that could be all wrong :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Had terrible games of Reach tonight. I feel like every time I would get an enemy to one shot, his teammate would round the corner and waste me. I would also "win" DMR battles by popping their shields first, only to then miss the killing headshot one, two, or three times -_-

...Then I closed out the night with a 19 kill streak in a tank on Paradisio Invasion Slayer. :lol Feels good, man. I feel like the game was throwing me a bone. I knew enough to go out on a high note.

Edit: I also only played 90 minutes tonight, which I think is the smallest amount of Halo I've played in a day since the game launched :lol

AnnHog

Finally got 100% achievements in Reach :D . Time to play some other games now. I have been playing way too damn much these past few days.

GDJustin said:
Had terrible games of Reach tonight. I feel like every time I would get an enemy to one shot, his teammate would round the corner and waste me. I would also "win" DMR battles by popping their shields first, only to then miss the killing headshot one, two, or three times -_-

...Then I closed out the night with a 19 kill streak in a tank on Paradisio Invasion Slayer. :lol Feels good, man. I feel like the game was throwing me a bone. I knew enough to go out on a high note.

Argh, I was having the same kind of night. I was playing Slayer Pro on boardwalk and literally felt like the reticule had REVERSE friction. As in, it would actually RESIST hovering over the damn enemy's head. My team was down by a few points and I felt bad cause I was the only guy without double digits and figured I had to be negative.

We close to within 3, and its 49, 46. My buddy kills one guy, and I round a bend into another with a shotgun. No need for headshots with THAT! 49, 47. I round the corner to another teammate getting double teamed. One of them has no shields, so I pick him off with a quick headshot. Then my buddy and I teamshot the other guy, and before he can land the killing headshot on my buddy, I land the winning headshot! :D

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Just played a 1 Flag CTF with my 2 friends against a party of 5, so one was on our team. The dude on our team was taking the flag with him and was being protected by the enemy team. We could have easily scored both times but when we got it far and then died, he'd take it back to their base. So fucking lame, I hate assholes.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
dslgunstar said:
Argh, I was having the same kind of night. I was playing Slayer Pro on boardwalk and literally felt like the reticule had REVERSE friction. As in, it would actually RESIST hovering over the damn enemy's head. My team was down by a few points and I felt bad cause I was the only guy without double digits and figured I had to be negative.

We close to within 3, and its 49, 46. My buddy kills one guy, and I round a bend into another with a shotgun. No need for headshots with THAT! 49, 47. I round the corner to another teammate getting double teamed. One of them has no shields, so I pick him off with a quick headshot. Then my buddy and I teamshot the other guy, and before he can land the killing headshot on my buddy, I land the winning headshot! :D

Whoa. Slayer Pro on Boardwalk was one of the games I was talking about too, and we lost by one point! It wasn't you, though.

dslgunstar said:
Holy shit. Anybody that isn't feeling the Reach soundtrack should try playing the game with Trent Reznor's score for The Social Network. Industrial and dark, it suits the mood pretty well IMO.

Hmm...the Reach the soundtrack isn't bad, but it's not as good as I had hoped. As a huge Reznor fan, I will give your suggestion a go after I see The Social Network.

Also, I have just finished the campaign on solo Legendary. There were a few tough spots, but overall I didn't find it to be all that challenging. It's nowhere near as difficult as the CoDs on Veteran.

Magni

metareferential said:
Bungie should just erase swat from the game.

Separate playlist? They've bought the game now. They can go back to CoD.

After all that's what they'll be doing on november, so why bother?:lol

I love SWAT, and don't play CoD. So no.

I just hate Team Snipers. I have some good and some awful matches on that gametype, but almost never a good, close match. In my experience it's always one side dominating the other and spawn sniping them.

Sill4

I personally noticed some of the battles being larger scale than any other Halo game. The only one that comes to mind immediately is the final outside portion of Winter Contingency. There were others, but I'm too tired to go back through and point them out.

Nothing as epic as the TotS intro scene though.

MagniHarvald said:
I love SWAT, and don't play CoD. So no.
I love (like) CoD, but hate SWAT.

Pinnacle needs to be removed from the game and never spoken of again. It is easily the worst map in the game. I don't know why it doesn't work in Reach as well as it did in Halo 2, all I know is that I literally cry out in disgust every time its voted for.

-------

Anyone else finding it hard to care about matchmaking at all?

I mean, the arena ranks are so obscure and reset often enough to render them unworthy of mention. And all the other playlists are full of quitters and people who don't care at all, because of the nature of the progression system. You only move forward, legit play only allowing a quicker pace.

Without a standard, permanent but dynamic up/down ranking system ala Halo 2 and 3, Reach is losing a lot of it's longevity and fast in my eyes.

And no, I don't care about rank that much. Reach went way backwards in these terms, though. I have no idea why Bungie made it this way and didn't even leave a few playlists with the old ranking method in.

edit: And forge without a server/game list is an unholy amount of wasted potential.

-------

Ugh fucking race in rumble pit. I want lone wolves back so I don't have to play this. Oh my mongoose flipped because of the ridiculous physics right at the start so I can't possibly win... Guess I'll just wait for the game to end.

FunkyMunkey said:
Anyone else finding it hard to care about matchmaking at all?

I mean, the arena ranks are so obscure and reset often enough to render them unworthy of mention. And all the other playlists are full of quitters and people who don't care at all, because of the nature of the progression system. You only move forward, legit play allowing a quicker pace.

Without a standard, permanent but dynamic up/down ranking system ala Halo 2 and 3, Reach is losing a lot of it's longevity and fast in my eyes.

And no, I don't care about rank that much. Reach went way backwards in these terms, though. I have no idea why Bungie made it this way and didn't even leave a few playlists with the old ranking method in.

edit: And forge without a server/game list is an unholy amount of wasted potential.

You have a permanent up/down system in Arena - it's the divisions, not the daily score. And they're better because they actually MEAN something. Unlike the numerical system in Halo 3, where you could have any number of players in the 40s or 50s regardless of the skill disparity between them, the divisions in Reach rank you RELATIVE to other players. Whereas a 50 in Halo 3 might be worse than a 43, but just happened to put the extra effort into the grind, there's no way to just power your way to Onyx. You actually have to prove you're one of the top 5% or so of the active population.

Resetting them every season means that new, or improving players have a shot at that top 5%, as well as the rest of the placements through gold, silver, bronze, etc. It also ensures that the old guard that earn their ranks early have to keep up their game to maintain their position at the top of the pack.

Maybe this has already been discussed over and over, so forgive me for bringing it up again, if that's the case.

I've been arguing with friends a lot over the new melee system.

My take on the subject is that it heavily modifies the way the game is played, forcing players to keep distance from enemies while trying to get the most out of your weapon.

In close-quarters situations, it may be harder to pull of a headshot, but it gives players more time to react.

Their take is that the new melee system is basically broken and unbalanced, since it gives lesser players a strong advantage. In short, no matter how good you shoot, or if you shoot first and damage their shields: they will annihilate your advantage with a melee. This makes Halo: Reach more casual-oriented.

What do you think, HaloGAF?

/\

The only thing broken about the melee is how fast you can deliver a second one. There's nothing fun about having people sprint through DMR or pistol fire and melee you twice, just because Bungie's magic reticule decided that your shots werent hitting.

Whoever did the online coding for this game should have their bonuses withheld.

It is fucking ridiculous that after finding a game, I have to wait for the damn thing to blackscreen three times while it migrates host, only to end up on a host with yellow bars...WHEN I SET THE SEARCH CRITERIA TO GOOD CONNECTION.

Seriously. Fuck you.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
baby-crying.jpg

dslgunstar said:
The only thing broken about the melee is how fast you can deliver a second one. There's nothing fun about having people sprint through DMR or pistol fire and melee you twice, just because Bungie's magic reticule decided that your shots werent hitting.
You're doing it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom