• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shake Appeal said:
I like the sytem because it's more tolerant of European connections to American hosts. I'll take the 'tie' every time, thanks.

In general, Reach's netcode is phenomenal. I just wish it didn't migrate the host so frequently. And while we're making wishes, I wish that multiplayer Campaign/FF was more playable.

The frequent black screens in BTB / Invasion don't appear to be host migration; the game should say on the scoreboard when it's picking a new host. In my experience, it doesn't most of the time.

It should get much better over the next few weeks as host records stabilize. Personally, I've found the past few days to be a big improvement

Any other questions? :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Shake Appeal said:
I like the sytem because it's more tolerant of European connections to American hosts. I'll take the 'tie' every time, thanks.

In general, Reach's netcode is phenomenal. I just wish it didn't migrate the host so frequently. And while we're making wishes, I wish that multiplayer Campaign/FF was more playable.

Edit: seems to be putting up final Arena season placements right now. I can see that Self Induced finished top 20% Gold, for instance.

I'm not matching against many Europeans in Reach if any at all. I've got nothing against you guys but I'm really thrilled about this lol.

Also, I like the Double Nickel challenge.

Trasher

Blargh. Only top 70% in Onyx. I'll hopefully play more this season though. I only just did the 7 days and stopped there.

Gui_PT said:
2 killing sprees in one game? Well, not going to get that one
Just do what Trasher would do: 5 kills with the shotgun. Bam. End of challenge.

Hmmm. 66 people on my friends list have played Reach, and yet only 7 of them played enough Arena to place. Disappointing. :(

Also, it hasn't given me a percentile yet, it just says 'n/a'. Do you only get a percentile if you place near the top of a division?

Edit: I play Americans constantly, but then I am usually partied with Americans.

Tashi0106 said:
I'm not matching against many Europeans in Reach if any at all. I've got nothing against you guys but I'm really thrilled about this lol.

For the most part, I haven't been matched up with many US players either. The backend tries to find local matches automatically, and this should only get more accurate over time. At the moment, it's not completely perfect, but it's pretty damn good.

I hold nothing against you guys on the other side of the Atlantic, but I have to admit that not having to play on crappy cable hosts a lot of the time does a lot for my blood pressure!

Trasher

Shake Appeal said:
Hmmm. 67 people on my friends list have played Reach, and yet only 8 of them played enough Arena to place. Disappointing. :(

Also, it hasn't given me a percentile yet, it just says 'n/a'. Do you only get a percentile if you place near the top of a division?
I was top 70% so I would guess no. Maybe it just hasn't updated yet.

I didn't touch Reach yesterday, nearly did for the challenges but I need a break before I burn myself out from the lack of maps, balance issues and idiots in invasion.

Tempted to play today... maybe.

TEH-CJ said:
anyone in AUS looking for a new 360 slim ? I bought the console brand new, its not even 3 weeks old. there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I bought it for halo reach but the game ended up being underwhelming and I'm not really into gears or fable so I have no need to hang on to it. I have no idea how much to sell it for so someone make an offer.

PMz

Wow, actually having work to do today has meant I missed the crazy shit (a good thing apparently.

Todays challenges don't look too bad, 2/4 are reasonably easy at least.

Shake Appeal said:

Edit: seems to be putting up final Arena season placements right now. I can see that Self Induced finished top 20% Gold, for instance.

Im also from the UK, but im not a fan of the whole tie death thing, it literally cheapens getting the kill and makes streaks harder to get. Im not sure if this is down to lag or just the window being huge, but I literally headshot a guy, got the medal and while the medal was fading away he 'pummelled' me. I mean if he can pummel me after ive headshot him thats pretty impressive, maybe the sheer momentum of his Mjonir armour just crushed me? :lol

metareferential said:
I've read people complaining because in Reach there's no reason to play: trueskill is hidden, and the arena resets, so why bother to be good?

The Arena is a great way to put online gaming in a right perspective: the analogy with sports is perfect. But this is the generation of achievements, trophies and Call of Duty.

And I say that because Cod4 and sequels brought to the industry a model that is always rewarding the player, no matter what he does. You shoot badly and only get a bullet to hit? Nevermind, you'll see some numbers popping up, so you will feel proud.

These sort of things encourage selfish play and worthless grinding. You play to rank, that's it. To show off your rank. And no matter how good or how long you play.

It's there.

For me the Arena is a good idea on paper but kinda fails in execution. The whole assists thing really takes away from a sense of team spirit and when its basically just FFA masked as a team game, that kind of takes away whats so special about competitive Halo. I know Halo isnt the ultimate team game, but its REALLY good. Some of my finest moments in Halo 3 havent been individual peices of skill, but actually more working as a team to do something.

I also think the whole 'reset every month' thing puts a lot of people off. Lets be honest 10 days of competitive play every month is a decent time investment, but that’s not really it. The Arena favours those with the more free time. The people in Onyx might literally play all day every day ALL month to improve they’re rating/ trueskill. If I only have time to just about get 3 games in 10 days - that’s not maximising my score, and in relation to the guys with more time im not going to show my true skill and im going to be placed in a lower division. I know some people are so good that they will get Onyx in the bare minimum needed games, but if your unlucky with matchmaking and get matched up against low people, you will need to play some games just to raise your trueskill before your games even matter.

And this isnt just me bitching, right now ive just graduated so I have all the free time in the world, im just pointing out a flaw I noticed.

Personally im just not feeling straight 4vs4 slayer in Reach, I have more fun in modes like BTB. The rare times I feel like playing competativly arent going to add up enough to give me an arena rating and thats where I feel the number system worked better, I didnt get my ranks in a month, it literally took 3 years of on and off trying when I was in the mood.

witness

Raide said:
Gunslinger
Kill 75 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

1200cR A Great Friend
Earn 30 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking.

1000cR Double Nickels
Earn 2 Killing Sprees in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

2500cR The Love of the Game

Complete 17 games in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Bah not a fan really, but I think I'll grind out the 17 games, thats a lot of points to miss out on. I was hoping there'd be some campaign challenges today....

bobs99 ... said:
The people in Onyx might literally play all day every day ALL month to improve they’re rating/ trueskill.
Improving your daily ratings won't improve your placement. In fact, no amount of time sinking will improve your placement. If anything, it will just make it more accurate/less subject to swings.

bobs99 ... said:
Im also from the UK, but im not a fan of the whole tie death thing, it literally cheapens getting the kill and makes streaks harder to get. Im not sure if this is down to lag or just the window being huge, but I literally headshot a guy, got the medal and while the medal was fading away he 'pummelled' me. I mean if he can pummel me after ive headshot him thats pretty impressive, maybe the sheer momentum of his Mjonir armour just crushed me? :lol

The window size is the difference in the latency values between the players involved and the host. The highest it can be is 300ms (again, at least with beta values), and for 99% of the time it will be much lower.

What you described sounds like a lag problem, though you have to bear in mind that melee attack damage is delayed for a few frames whilst the game waits to see if the other player is going to melee as well.

bobs99 ... said:
Woah, I just fell into the water on Paradiso and survived - I was literally underwater just standing there without dieing. Ill upload the video to my fileshare if someone is interested in seeing what happened. I think I landed on a rock which is just high enough that I can be submerged without dieing.

I had 3 teammates bail out on a Team Slayer match on Paradiso last week. I was up against some very teabag happy guys so I just hid under the water to piss them off. It worked...

Mr. Sam

With any luck, those challenges will take me to Major by the end of the day.

Stuff I could do before the challenge - i.e. double killing spree - suddenly becomes much harder after it becomes a challenge though. Oh well, I'll just keep running for those power weapons until I get it.

Trasher

Question: Is there one of those gamercard things yet that we can link our gamertags to and it compiles up a list of some of our key stats? I remember there being one back in the beta days.

STG

Trasher said:
Question: Is there one of those gamercard things yet that we can link our gamertags to and it compiles up a list of some of our key stats? I remember there being one back in the beta days.
should be coming very soon since they just released the Reach API stuff

Gui_PT

I have to get a killing spree twice. can't get different sprees =\

Edit: Fuck yeah I got it

VV Yeah, it just sucked because I got a killing frenzy and it didn't count =P

Shoogoo

Halo 3 is still the 3rd most played game. People disappointed by Reach? Are there any here? After playing Reach I don't see why you would go back to 3.

Well maybe for the maps.

For the assist challenge the easiest thing to do is go into Multi team - vote Elite Slayer and literally just plasma pistol everyone you see. Im racking up the assists doing that. I even managed to get my 2 killing sprees while doing it. :lol

Shoogoo said:
Halo 3 is still the 3rd most played game. People disappointed by Reach? Are there any here? After playing Reach I don't see why you would go back to 3.

Well maybe for the maps.

I prefer the sort of 1v1 combat in Halo 3. As in not 1v1's but the player vs player combat that occurs. Im going to switch between both games and its probably people doing this which keeps Halo 3 fairly high.

I will say though, that visually Reach makes Halo 3 look pretty ugly, and you can really feel the lag in matchmaking after playing Reach now.

To be fair though, Major Nelsons list might aswell just be tracking MW2 and Halo Reach, the populations for the other games after 2nd place are probably REALLY low. Halo 3 being 3rd is probably just because theres so many less people playing other games.

Raide

Shoogoo said:

Well maybe for the maps.

Until either Bungie add the old maps, or the Forge Community remake them, Halo 3 will still have a certainly popularity. Some people just don't like the changes Reach has made, so its harder for them to move on.

Shoogoo

Raide said:
Until either Bungie add the old maps, or the Forge Community remake them, Halo 3 will still have a certainly popularity. Some people just don't like the changes Reach has made, so its harder for them to move on.

Yeah, but 3rd game? that's more than 'some people' isn't it? I find it weird.

Mr. Sam

bobs99 ... said:
For the assist challenge the easiest thing to do is go into Multi team - vote Elite Slayer and literally just plasma pistol everyone you see. Im racking up the assists doing that. I even managed to get my 2 killing sprees while doing it. :lol
I actually tend to kill more people when I'm playing for assists. It's weird.

"I'll just knock his shield off-- no, he's dead. I'll just take a potshot at that guy then-- whoops, headshot. I know, I'll just throw a grenade over there-- triple kill!? Don't they know I'm trying to get the assist challenge!?"

Raide

Shoogoo said:
Yeah, but 3rd game? that's more than 'some people' isn't it? I find it weird.

It would be great if they actually listed the numbers. Who knows how big the gap is between the top 5 games?

Maybe people just love the BR and they just cannot leave it alone. :lol

Shoogoo

Raide said:
It would be great if they actually listed the numbers. Who knows how big the gap is between the top 5 games?

Maybe people just love the BR and they just cannot leave it alone. :lol

Yeah the BR might be a good reason. I remember how many people ditched Quake 2 and got back to Quake because of the Rocket Launcher

And also all the broke people that couldnt afford reach yet.

I'd love to see the exact number too

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Zel3 said:
If the Ivory Tower and Blood Gulch remakes are any indication, remakes just don't work well enough in Reach. I rather have new maps by whoever designed Halo 2 maps, they knew what they were doing.

Those are two of my favorite maps. Can you tell me why Reflection doesn't work? The only thing I really agree with on Hemo is the tank, and they are fixing that.

Chorazin

Dax01 said:
dsl got banned? Glad I missed that dead baby picture.

Challenges today seem run of the mill. Doable.

Yeah, it just looks pretty time intensive. I doubt I'll be able to put 17 games worth of time in today, my GF probably wouldn't appreciate that. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shoogoo said:
Yeah the BR might be a good reason. I remember how many people ditched Quake 2 and got back to Quake because of the Rocket Launcher

And also all the broke people that couldnt afford reach yet.

I'd love to see the exact number too

I still think Quake 1 was the best in the series.

Raide

Alienshogun said:

As a pure DeathMatch game, it was awesome. After the Quake and UT series, everything started to shift towards tactical shooters and military style games. Most of the Forge maps I make for Reach are based around bringing the frantic Quake pace back to shooters. :lol

My first map was Q1DM4 as well. :D

Shoogoo

Alienshogun said:

Kind of OT, but I loved them all three with a passion (not counting Quake 4, sorry kid) and for different reasons. Quake 1 because multiplayer on the internet was mindblowing, Quake 2 because of all the mods (Jail, Q2TF, that soccer thing) and Quake 3 because of all the competition and my love for Rocket Arena 3.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Shoogoo said:

Well maybe for the maps.

The bold part is exactly why I hardly played Halo 3. I completely hated Halo 3 maps. But I love reach maps. Different strokes. /shrug

Popeck

All I can see is that I was golden both in the Team and Double Arena, no percentile specifics. =(

EDIT: Btw, killing spree + shotgun/sniper/sword/hammer spree won't work for the challenge.

Trasher

Ganhyun said:
lol I got matched against Sai and Trasher it seems.
GG's man!

Popeck said:
All I can see is that I was golden both in the Team and Double Arena, no percentile specifics. =(

EDIT: Btw, killing spree + shotgun/sniper/sword/hammer spree won't work for the challenge.
Does anyone know if getting a Killing Frenzy works? I ended up getting two separate Killing Sprees for mine, but I was just curious.

Gui_PT

Popeck said:

The challenge says "2 killing sprees" not any spree

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
So last night I FINALLY finish Reach on Legendary after missing the first 11 days of the game...

Loved the game, but boy I wish I didn't start it on Legendary off the bat, because while it wasn't hard, especially for someone who loves shooters like myself, I found myself in LOTS of extremely frustrating situations, which I definitely wouldn't have been in had I played the game on Heroic first like I've done with every other Halo...

Great story and variety of locations and missions, the best in the series by a good bit - you can see that they went all out for their last Halo hurrah, but one of the most frustrating things, especially when the battles got big, were the friendly A.I.

I mean, Mr./Mrs. Passenger, if we're getting severely pelted, it's usually a good idea to shoot back, instead of watching us count the seconds till we explode - why can the enemies hit us but apparently friendlies can't see as far as the enemies do? Forget about doing drive-bys to soften enemies up, you practically have to swerve into the pack to get your guy(s) to shoot. Just as frustrating is watching a whole crew of soldiers loitering on the battlefield all over the map while it's me against the Legendary Covenant on my lonesome - they might as well let me do the mission solo and have everyone else just chill at HQ while I handle business.

But the Elite A.I.?

Excellent.

Every encounter was like fighting a boss - dodging, taking cover, retreating to regenerate shields, flanking, oh man - I was really impressed while fighting them, got to hand it to Bungie for that. Incredible, best A.I. I've ever fought against in a game.

Now I can finally turn comments back on on YouTube (hell, I'm practically used to no comments and related videos there now after more than a month of them being off) and it was worth it too to go into the story cold turkey.

On another note, I've been reading so much about people not getting the "If You Came To Hear Me Beg" Achievement - so much to the point that although I never read where to do it, I knew what the Achievement description was (avoided all Achievements till I beat the game), and when I started
-------Winter Contingency--------
I tried it there a few times, until I saw that the fall would not have killed me at all so I just left it and continued playing normally till I reached
-------The Pillar's beginning cliff------
, saw how high it was and assumed that this is where it was meant to be done, and after a couple minutes of missing straight up and falling to my death, I got it three times in a row - so while you can probably get it on the other level in some strange luck, I'm sure that this is how it was meant to be done.

I made a clip of it being done three times in a row here so anyone can download it in Reach to see how it was done, but yeah, you have to make sure that you stop the sprint once you're out far enough.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=4200476&player=DXLR8R

I'd discuss the story and cutscenes more, but I really don't feel like making a whole bunch of spoiler text right now, so maybe another time or something, but I really enjoyed what unfolded...

Thanks for the ride Bungie, and now it's time for a whole lot more multiplayer! :D

Gui_PT said:
The challenge says "2 killing sprees" not any spree

Kind of silly that the challenge discourages playing extremely well, at least in single round gametypes.

This seems to be a problem with quite a few challenges. They don't give any thought to alternative ways of getting them. Just like a killing spree and then a killing frenzy should count, wheelman assists should count as well. It's just very sloppy and careless.

It's as silly as if the game ignored headshots with the sniper rifle because it gives a different medal, and it's not a regular headshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom