• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

They have to be holding some armor back. Theres no way there can be so many ranks and so little more permutations after Lt. Colonel.

First of all I have not nor has my son had his credits reset but I am just a bit concerned as to the possibility.

This is what I said over at bungie.net...

"I have a DSL connection that is far less than stable and have disconnects from time to time. This morning I had a disconnect after completing the "Shootin' and Lootin'" or whatever challenge. After completing that particular game it gave me the 2500 cR, however, when I re-connected it said I had not completed the challenge. This is obviously out of my control. I have very little interest in multiplayer other than co-op campaign and firefight modes and really only want to rank up in order to unlock new armor.

My son, however, does have an interest in competitive multiplayer and the same thing happened to him this morning. Hopefully our gamertags are not "flagged" as cheating as that certainly was not the intended goal. Not sure why there cannot be a system implemented just like the "achievements" in which it knows, allows, and tracks different goals or whatnot to be achieved "off-line" or in a situation such as mine with disconnects.

Our gamertags are "NOBLE 7 S086" and "XxAmplifierxX."

--------------------------------------------

Again, I have little to no interest in multiplayer outside of co-op campaign, firefight modes, and messing about in Forge World. To me the Halo franchise has always been about the campaign, lore, and the universe that has been created. I am an avid fan of the novels, graphic novels, art books, etc. Basically anything "Halo." My son loves the action figures and "toys" but that is besides the point.

The problem I have with the "Daily Challenges" is that you are always participating in them no matter if you select them or not. If I had an option to try to achieve the challenge or not it would solve my problem of disconnects and being rewarded the credits from the challenge more than once possibly.

An example of how flawed the system currently is...

I completed the "One Spartan Army" through a game of score attack with "Sniper Attack." This also added kills towards the "Shootin' and Lootin'" challenge. Next I started a game of Gruntpocalypse in which I completed the 250 kills to pass the "Shootin' and Lootin'"challenge, however, long after I had earned enough kills to earn the credits, late in the game my connection dropped. I finished the game and it gave me the credits for the challenge. I then re-connect to XBOX Live and move on to the "Storm's Comin'" challenge only to find out that it registered as not having completed the "Shootin' and Lootin'" challenge. During the "Storm's Comin'" challenge it popped up that I had again completed the "Shootin' and Lootin'" challenge. After finishing the "Storm's Comin'" I was awarded credits for "Storm's Comin'" and "Shootin' and Lootin'(again)" challenges. I did not ask for that obviously and if there were some kind of ability to participate or not to participate in the daily challenges then in my case the problem would have been solved.

I just hope an account or gamertag cannot be "flagged" under these circumstances.

Edit: I should add that I really enjoy the "Daily Challenges" but not the way a disconnect can be used and viewed as trying to cheat the system. While there are cases in which players are using this exploit to rank up, I have no ambition to do so and was just trying to complete a "different" challenge when I was credited for the previous challenge again.

MrBig said:
They have to be holding some armor back. Theres no way there can be so many ranks and so little more permutations after Lt. Colonel.

Im kind of thinking the same thing, but maybe its a good thing if after a while ranking up isnt tied into Spartan cosmetics. If the REALLY good armours required a high rank, more people would be inclined to cheat to get them. I sort of like the idea that the higher ranks might just be an award in themselves without really being tied into armours.

Theres about 9 full ranks after LT Colenal, and so I can easily see them splitting up the remaining armour into those 9 ranks and locking them away though.

sometimes the bullshit boot system works with you.

Jumped into a firefight match with three guys that were partied up and they immediately started meleeing me, shooting shots at me feet and etc to intimidate and have me respond by betraying one of them...

ended up getting two of them booted and got a ton of CR :D

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
zero margin said:
I am tempted to get the EVA helmet but I don't know, it looks like a big glowing bulb.

4l0sc7.jpg

I think it looks pretty bad ass...

I have to say that I am very very impressed with the enemy AI on heroic. I have been suicide bombed,flanked,ambushed,and even horded by covenant and this is only in the first couple levels on solo! I cant wait to see what the rest of the game has in store

MrBig

zero margin said:
They are. Emile's shoulder with the knife attachment for instance will unlock after a later rank.
Yes, but I'm talking about armors we don't already know about, theres a lot more in the first set of ranks than in the second.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shoogoo said:
Helmet and black visor is cool, but the flames are lame imho

Good thing what you enjoy has no bearing on what I enjoy. :D

MrBig said:
Yes, but I'm talking about armors we don't already know about, theres a lot more in the first set of ranks than in the second.

You're assuming they are adding some? Because as it stands now we know about all the armor through "modders."

Monocle

Amazin86er said:
First of all I have not nor has my son had his credits reset but I am just a bit concerned as to the possibility.
[snip]
If I understand correctly, Bungie is only seeking to punish cases where exploit abuse is unequivocal. Repeating a challenge every so often due to circumstances beyond your control is easily distinguishable from the jerk who spends a whole afternoon farming challenges for credits by deliberately resetting his connection. According to the latest Weekly Update, Bungie has a lot of data they can look at and a verification procedure to make sure the banhammer only falls on the bad guys.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dirtbag said:
Unfortunately, what you enjoy has bearing on what I enjoy however.
Hi Grunt B-day party.... :(

:lol It's only going to get worse for you. At least mine is confined to my head.

Sorry you don't enjoy the armor effects, but I love em. Every time I kill a guy with Grunt B-day I chuckle. I really think they should be disabled in at least Arena though.

Chrange

Banned
oldschoolpinball said:
I have to say that I am very very impressed with the enemy AI on heroic. I have been suicide bombed,flanked,ambushed,and even horded by covenant and this is only in the first couple levels on solo! I cant wait to see what the rest of the game has in store
Makes it much more satisfying when you're getting shot and run behind a big rock, then send your hologram out and circle around the other way to catch that AI from behind. NOT SO SMART NOW, YOU BASTARD! :D

MrBig

Dirtbag said:
Unfortunately, what you enjoy has bearing on what I enjoy however.
Hi Grunt B-day party.... :(
I got it about a week ago when no one else had it, but recently I've been seeing it every other game.
The only thing I'd rather have is the hearts, the constant effects don't interest me.

Just finished reading the weekly update. Glad to hear about all playlist updates and such. Good to hear Snipers will be getting its own playlist soon (a lot sooner than in Halo 3).

Of course, I'm not going to be completely satisfied until the pro pipe is returned to its former Beta counterpart. But I don't think that will happen, if it will happen, until a game update (1.1, 2.1, etc).

I left my xbox back at my dorm, so no playing Reach for me until I get back on Tuesday. I wish Bungie offered more campaign challenges in the week, and not just (seemingly) on the weekends.

Trickster

Alienshogun said:
Your assuming they are adding some? Because as it stands now we know about all the armor through "modders."

I really hope they add more through updates down the road. Because right now, the only permutation areas where I think there is enough stuff, is helmets, shoulders and chests.

The other areas are sorely lacking imo. There's something like 4 knee guards, 6 utility, 6 wrist, 5 armor effects and 5 visor variants. Which in my oppinion strikes me as very little with all the talk about customization there's been.

I especially don't understand the point of there only being 5 visor colours. Visor colour is not even a question about spending time designing and modelling an item. But just changing the colour of something. Hell, you can't even get the visor colour that Jorge has on his helmet. Makes no sense to me.

Alienshogun said:
:lol It's only going to get worse for you. At least mine is confined to my head.

Sorry you don't enjoy the armor effects, but I love em. Every time I kill a guy with Grunt B-day I chuckle. I really think they should be disabled in at least Arena though.
They should of had an option to remove it

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dax01 said:
Just finished reading the weekly update. Glad to hear about all playlist updates and such. Good to hear Snipers will be getting its own playlist soon (a lot sooner than in Halo 3).

Of course, I'm not going to be completely satisfied until the pro pipe is returned to its former Beta counterpart. But I don't think that will happen, if it will happen, until a game update (1.1, 2.1, etc).

I left my xbox back at my dorm, so no playing Reach for me until I get back on Tuesday. I wish Bungie offered more campaign challenges in the week, and not just (seemingly) on the weekends.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the grenade launcher, get better with it.

cuevas said:
They should of had an option to remove it

I agree, there should be a "hide effects" option for those who don't want to see them.

Dax01 said:

Eh, the thing I dislike more than the nerfed pro pipe is that weapons didn't get tested, and so aren't balanced properly. How did Sage think the Concussion Rifle was a good weapon when it does fuck all damage and sends enemies flying (or in MP, just does fuck all damage)?

It's actually quite unbalanced, because the AI can use it effectively (mostly because it doesn't have the insane knockback when used on the player), but when the player tries to use it, it's effectively useless. Even in multiplayer it's not that useful unless you can hit a guy whilst he's in a very enclosed space, like Countdown, and it's a very long time to kill as well.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Photolysis said:
Eh, the thing I dislike more than the nerfed pro pipe is that weapons didn't get tested, and so aren't balanced properly. How did Sage think the Concussion Rifle was a good weapon when it does fuck all damage and sends enemies flying (or in MP, just does fuck all damage)?

It's actually quite unbalanced, because the AI can use it effectively (mostly because it doesn't have the insane knockback when used on the player), but when the player tries to use it, it's effectively useless. Even in multiplayer it's not that useful unless you can hit a guy whilst he's in a very enclosed space, like Countdown, and it's a very long time to kill as well.

I've found it effective on sword sprinters and shotgun sprinters, but that's about it. It doesn't do a damn thing to vehicles besides toss them either.

The grenade launcher is perfect the way it is though, and it's very devastating.

Alienshogun said:
I've found it effective on sword sprinters and shotgun sprinters, but that's about it. It doesn't do a damn thing to vehicles besides toss them either.

The grenade launcher is perfect the way it is though, and it's very devastating.

Yeah, it knocks you out of Sprint as well (can be very irritating in Campaign or Firefight). Maybe they should rename it the "Anti-Sprint Rifle". "For arbitrarily denying use of the Sprint AA only".

The grenade launcher is superb against vehicles, I just wish the EMP explosion was a bit more powerful verses players. But maybe I just need to get better with it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Photolysis said:
Yeah, it knocks you out of Sprint as well (can be very irritating in Campaign or Firefight). Maybe they should rename it the "Anti-Sprint Rifle". "For arbitrarily denying use of the Sprint AA only".

The grenade launcher is superb against vehicles, I just wish the EMP explosion was a bit more powerful verses players. But maybe I just need to get better with it.

Instead of launching it right at enemies, bounce it off the ground. Don't know if you saw my overkill with it, but here.

I disable the warthog then kill both people in it, then kill the other two guys in the territory.

It's a fantastic weapon, its airburst is amazing.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=4357638&player=AlienShogun

GhaleonEB

Trickster said:
So let me get this straight, we are gonna get 2500 cr for doing gruntpocalypse twice, but only 750 cr for doing a campaign mission on heroic with 2 skulls turned on? Wtf bungie :lol
That's the bonus on top. You get a heck of a lot more along the way. Gruntpocalypse is being scaled down in the reward department soon any ways.

To me the challenges are either a bonus for something I'm doing anyways, or a small incentive to try something I might not. My Legendary solo run is about to get a couple of skulls toggled on for the next level, for instance.

Wizpig

Sweet jesus christ, we just finished a 2 hours run of Gruntpocalypse.

We got the 200.000 achievement.

Attempting 1m sounds... well... not so hot right now.

GhaleonEB

Anyone want to try for a 1m Firefight run on co-op, Heroic or Legendary, some time down the road? I'll probably save that as my last achievement to get and don't feel like cheesing it. I'd like to make it a fun challenge. (And Heroic with a lot of skulls on should help it go by faster.)

Wizpig said:

what is thus? Oh firefight. nevermind. I cheesed all those.

Alienshogun said:

Definitely not. The best, and most satisfying, aspect of the pro pipe was killing people head on at close range with the weapon. That aspect has been removed, and unless you're a sufficient distance away from your target, the grenade will simply, stupidly, bounce off your target.

It's not nearly as fun as it was in the Beta. I hope Bungie updates it to what it previously was.

Raide

When it comes to maps, what do people want more? 2v2 or small scale competitive maps, BTB maps with Vehicles or more Invasion style maps?

Wizpig

I hate that B.net calls this 200k game "Custom Firefight" just because i put infinite sets in Gruntpocalypse (default is 1 set).

It sounds like we played with 3000% shields, infinite ammo etc. just like some noobs out there.

Again: I pretty much hate Reach's firefight options, and it was a more fun/balanced experience in ODST.

Kuroyume

Banned
Raide said:
When it comes to maps, what do people want more? 2v2 or small scale competitive maps, BTB maps with Vehicles or more Invasion style maps?

BTB and not because of vehicles... BTB maps can also be used for Invasion anyway. I've played Hemmorrhage and Paradiso on both playlists. Hell, Hemmorrhage is in Team Slayer so it's not like they wouldn't use BTB maps in smaller playlists too. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Wizpig said:

Why would you do that on Gruntpocalypse? Grunts give the least amount of points per kill.

zewone

Wizpig said:
I hate that B.net calls this 200k game "Custom Firefight" just because i put infinite sets in Gruntpocalypse (default is 1 set).

It sounds like we played with 3000% shields, infinite ammo etc. just like some noobs out there.

Again: I pretty much hate Reach's firefight options, and it was a more fun/balanced experience in ODST.
haha @ noobs.

I find Firefight boring myself. I'd rather not spend 2 hours (or 10) for those achievements.

Plus, it's not like it's tough to kill Grunts all day. If you wanted to do it the right way, might as well have just let the enemies come as they are intended.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Wizpig said:

You pretty much did cheese (if only slightly) by doing infinite gruntpocalypse. It isn't hard and offers no challenge.

You should have just done an infinite "classic" firefight if you want to be "real" about it.

If you're going to cheese at all (which you did), you may as well do it right and go all out.

Chinner

Banned
how dare these people to these things the none described legitimate way of how things i believe should be done even though the developer said they can be done anyway how dare they indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom