• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Raide said:
When are we starting up the Customs? Would like it if I can try one of my maps out and see what people think and some feedback suggestions. :D

About four hours and 15 minutes from this post.

This week, I'll be gathering a list of maps from ForgeGAF to play. Unfortunately, we'll need mostly BTB maps due to the number of folks that show up but I'll have smaller maps on hand for when the numbers die down. I'll be mentioning to folks to give feedback after every game too.

My Invasion map hasn't made the cut again this week, but in addition to ForgeGAF maps, I'll be experimenting with some Invasion variants. Good times all around hopefully.

Raide

Dani said:

This week, I'll be gathering a list of maps from ForgeGAF to play. Unfortunately, we'll need mostly BTB maps due to the number of folks that show up but I'll have smaller maps on hand for when the numbers die down. I'll be mentioning to folks to give feedback after every game too.

My Invasion map hasn't made the cut again this week, but in addition to ForgeGAF maps, I'll be experimenting with some Invasion variants. Good times all around hopefully.

My map has Red, Blue, Green and Orange Teams sorted, so it could support 16. How it feels with 16 mental people running around is a different matter. :lol

Yeah, I am rubbish at making BTB maps, I like making Deathmatch maps. :D I need to see what other people come up with so I can get some ideas.

Ganhyun

Mayyhem said:
They're taking Slayer Pro out of Arena? Looks like I'm done playing it, on to the "competitive" section.

IIRC, the Slayer Pro in arena is misnamed as it still has the radar?

edit: and beaten. Thats what I get for working :lol

vhfive said:
You're not the only one.
I hate armor abilities. Jetpacks ruin the flow of a map,armor lock and bubble shield just slows the pace of the game down, and invis turns people into campers. The only ones I don't hate are sprint and hologram (but if everyone had one it would be annoying)

Thanks, I'm just getting extremely frustrated playing it, it's sad cause I'm struggling to get killing sprees which were a normal thing when I played 3, now it seems like a chore. As of right now, I enjoyed H3 MP much more, but I don't really want to go back to it as Reach is the "New Thing" but Reach does have an amazing campaign and firefight mode, not to mention Forge 2.0. I guess I really wanted more of a Halo 3.5 instead of this. idk

LordAlu

Ugh, playing Team Slayer and people actually voted for SWAT on Hemorrhage? It's more fun to burn my face off with an iron than play SWAT on Hemorrhage. Why on earth is Hemorrhage on Team Slayer anyway, it's far too large a map for 4v4?

Chorazin

CrazedArabMan said:
Thanks, I'm just getting extremely frustrated playing it, it's sad cause I'm struggling to get killing sprees which were a normal thing when I played 3, now it seems like a chore. As of right now, I enjoyed H3 MP much more, but I don't really want to go back to it as Reach is the "New Thing" but Reach does have an amazing campaign and firefight mode, not to mention Forge 2.0. I guess I really wanted more of a Halo 3.5 instead of this. idk
It sounds like you're just getting frustrated because you're not up to speed on all the changes yet. Give it time, you're not gonna be as good at Reach after three weeks as you were with Halo 3 after three years. :D

GhaleonEB

So, without editing anything I picked up the Blue flag spawn and parked it next to the base to see if the bug will carry over. Nope!

reach_4510050_Full.jpg

I put it back, without editing anything, and it shows up again:

reach_4510313_Full.jpg

Blue team, if your flag is in a weird place tonight, you'll know why. as;ldkjf;as lasldjf ;a

Mik2121

GhaleonEB said:
So, without editing anything I picked up the Blue flag spawn and parked it next to the base to see if the bug will carry over. Nope!

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/Reach%20Maps/reach_4510050_Full.jpg[IMG]

I put it back, without editing anything, and it shows up again:

[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/ghaleoneb/Reach%20Maps/reach_4510313_Full.jpg[IMG]

Blue team, if your flag is in a weird place tonight, you'll know why. as;ldkjf;as lasldjf ;a[/QUOTE]
Have you tried deleting it and placing a new one?

Also, I guess we will be playing Customs tonight? How many hours from now? :_)

GhaleonEB

Kapura said:
Use the flag stand to spawn flags? I dunno why you'd use a capture plate anyways.
So it's easier to see, I find the little stands too small. In Halo 3 I liked having a separate spawn and return object, but in Reach they have to be the same thing. But I've got a list of stuff to try now, up to and including the flag stand.

I wish Bungie had some kind of system where you actually got the Cr you deserve from custom Firefight matches. You know, if you make a custom Firefight that's completely fair or harder than the ones in matchmaking, you should realistically get more than the 2 credits or whatever they give you. Kind of like how skulls in score mode increase your multiplayer, certain options in Firefight customs should give you more or less credits, depending.

I'd love to experiment with different custom firefights, but right now there doesn't seem like much point because it doesn't contribute to the credit grind.

Chorazin said:
It sounds like you're just getting frustrated because you're not up to speed on all the changes yet. Give it time, you're not gonna be as good at Reach after three weeks as you were with Halo 3 after three years. :D

Idk about that, it will probably take longer than that for me to get accustomed to it again, it's just been a complete pain up until this point though, and I usually catch on pretty fast too which adds on to why I'm so frustrated.

Hey You

GhaleonEB said:
I've deleted it replaced it a few times, but it keeps spawning the flag off to the side. I have no idea why. Anyone else run into this?
There is a quote from JonnyOThan about this. I'll try to find it.

Edit: Here it is:
I think this happens because the engine checks for open space for the flag to spawn, and moves the flag if it thinks the area isn't clear. Unfortunately it's a little aggressive in doing this. One thing you might try is placing that capture plate but not labeling it, and place a "hill marker" (is that the right name? it's the blue arrow) object just above the capture plate and label that instead. The marker object turns invisible when you actually play the game.
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=49035808&postRepeater1-p=11#49167126#49167126

GhaleonEB said:
So it's easier to see, I find the little stands too small. In Halo 3 I liked having a separate spawn and return object, but in Reach they have to be the same thing. But I've got a list of stuff to try now, up to and including the flag stand.

Why not place a non functional capture plate and phase the flag stand in to it? Seems a decent workaround.

I had a weird issue with the blue team bomb earlier as well. It was set at an identical height to the red team bomb, but ended up phased in the middle of a block. Raising the height by 0.1 solved it though.

Willectro

Banned
Just finished the campaign on legendary this morning. I had already played through on Normal. All of the parts that I thought were going to be difficult (
The 2 flying missions, the final mission, the scorpion mission
) were in fact easy. The most difficult parts were the large skirmishes and the damn near indestructible shields on the elites.

Overall great game, but I must say that I preferred the ODST campaign and atmosphere. But the full Reach package is amazing and from a value perspective is one of the best games this gen.

Neuromancer said:
I'd love to experiment with different custom firefights, but right now there doesn't seem like much point because it doesn't contribute to the credit grind.
I hear ya on the cR front, but I just can't convince myself to enter into the grind, so it doesn't affect me as much. Its funny that the most popular Firefight mods are all the ones that make you invulnerable, or can net you a quick million points, etc. while all this time I'm trying to make the mode harder, and more team oriented. :lol

At the very least, some of the better Firefight modes work as a great warm-up, or can train you in specific weapons, combos, or tactics that you can then take into matchmaking. At least, that's how I look at it. I suck at the sniper so I made a local sniperfight. I suck at the plasma launcher so I'm sure to make a training mod just for that soon enough.

GhaleonEB

Photolysis said:
Why not place a non functional capture plate and phase the flag stand in to it? Seems a decent workaround.
Yup, I should have thought of that; I just did so and it works perfectly.

I like the capture stand in part because it gives a visual signal of exactly how close you are to capping. So I put a non-functional plate under the flag stand, and set the flag return radius identical to the capture plate. Bam. Thanks.

Once the load outs are set up I'm all good to go for tonight. Thanks for the help guys.

NullPointer said:
I hear ya on the cR front, but I just can't convince myself to enter into the grind, so it doesn't affect me as much. Its funny that the most popular Firefight mods are all the ones that make you invulnerable, or can net you a quick million points, etc. while all this time I'm trying to make the mode harder, and more team oriented. :lol

At the very least, some of the better Firefight modes work as a great warm-up, or can train you in specific weapons, combos, or tactics that you can then take into matchmaking. At least, that's how I look at it. I suck at the sniper so I made a local sniperfight. I suck at the plasma launcher so I'm sure to make a training mod just for that soon enough.
I know, I did it to myself- but I want those ODST shoulder pads and wrist tac/pad so damn bad. :lol

Once I get that stuff I may relax my relentless grinding a little.

Drakken

OK class, here's the quiz:

Player A: 10 kills, 8 deaths.
Player B: 17 kills, 26 deaths.

Who's better?

Player B of course! What a valuable contribution to the team! (1437 rating vs. 1284 for A)

This rating system is so screwed up.

Mik2121

Dani said:
I know this thread is long but look at the first post on this page.
I checked the first post and I'm still asking about the Customs and the hour when it will start.

Way to be a smart-ass... Unless you are talking about the meet-up thread... with 66 comments since the game got released?

edit - wow, i'm an idiot. Sorry for my "smart-ass" post. I read your post as "first post on this thread". Didn't notice the first post on this page, my bad.

LordAlu said:
Ugh, playing Team Slayer and people actually voted for SWAT on Hemorrhage? It's more fun to burn my face off with an iron than play SWAT on Hemorrhage. Why on earth is Hemorrhage on Team Slayer anyway, it's far too large a map for 4v4?

Don't you love that! It's not the map, it's just the SWAT morons will play it anywhere. Why it's even in the rotation I have no idea. Next time you play it though sneak over to the enemies base and pick them off as they spawn. :lol

Drakken

Mik2121 said:
I checked the first post and I'm still asking about the Customs and the hour when it will start.

Way to be a smart-ass... Unless you are talking about the meet-up thread... with 66 comments since the game got released?

He's talking about the first post on this page. #3401.

Mik2121 said:

brosif? chillax...

post at top of this page:
Dani said:

Dani
Dirty tag dodger
(Today, 03:43 PM)
Reply | Quote

Customs starts at 8PM EST (GMT-5)

Kuroyume

Banned
Drakken said:

Who's better?

Player B of course! What a valuable contribution to the team! (1437 rating vs. 1284 for A)

You would have died more if player B didn't kill everyone for you.

Drakken said:

Who's better?

Stop thinking of the Arena as a team game. You aren't rewarded for your contribution to the team.

Mik2121

I guess I edited my post too late. It's 5:30AM here, give me a little break :lol

zero margin said:
Mik has had a hard day of teammates quitting on him.

Exactly! I stopped playing the game after that second post raging, but I'm back (and into Forge right now) and looking forward to the HaloGAF Customs! :_)

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:

I think, as customs wind on, we should see if there is interest in custom Firefight games. I love'em, and we're all doing cR-free customs anyways.

Hopefully some creative, challenging stuff lands in matchmaking for Firefight, life limits included. Infinite lives and therefore no challenge is why I spend all my FF time in Score Attack. I queued up your variant for download, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Mik2121 said:
I guess I edited my post too late. It's 5:30AM here, give me a little break :lol
bro no problem. See ya online later today hopefully.

I'd like not to miss customs tonight because of stupid RL friends wanting to hang out... tsk tsk.

Sai-kun

Banned
Dax01 said:
Which gametype are you talking about?

We had a flag <30 feet form the score point, 1flag on Boneyard. But someone dropped it because they died at the last second, and the round ended :/ despite the flag being away

Couple of GAFers and I were playing BTB 2 Flag on Paradiso and no one scored until I grabbed the enemy flag right before time out and we went into Sudden Death while one of us was in the hog on the way back to our base with the flag and we won.

WE WON THAT SHIT GOOD. HOORAY FOR SUDDEN DEATH.

Now i need to pray its still in my recent games when I get home so I can prove it. :lol

MrGame&Watch said:
Is it strange that I actually really enjoy SWAT? Maybe it has to do with me preferring the gunplay in COD to Halo.

That's the reason everyone likes it probably. COD mindset. I don't even mind it as a game type, every now and then I would want to play it. When it's all that is ever chosen is when I have a problem.

Sai-kun said:
We had a flag <30 feet form the score point, 1flag on Boneyard. But someone dropped it because they died at the last second, and the round ended :/ despite the flag being away
Don't you have to be holding the flag for sudden death to trigger? Wasn't it the same way in Halo 3?

Raide

Just wondering, do people hate SWAT because it comes up too much in MM or just the way the game works?

Mainly because I was thinking of making a SWAT map. :lol

Soulstar

I work till 11pm est what are the chances I can join in on some customs action after work?

Raide said:
Just wondering, do people hate SWAT because it comes up too much in MM or just the way the game works?

SWAT to me was always a fun change of pace after playing all day so I'm down for playing it every once in a while but the MM situation is a bit maddening.

Okay, how's this for a weird bug.

I assassinate someone for the final kill in the game, only for it to award the kill to someone else because the guy's teammate missed me and shot him in the head in the final frame of the assassination.

Meanwhile, the guy on my team who "killed" this player doesn't land a single shot during my assassination, and had no contribution to the kill. Rather mockingly, the game also gave me an "assist".

What?

264gd8k.jpg

"I know people were saying the assist system was broken, but this is ridiculous"

LiK

Raide said:

they just hate it cuz you have no shields so you die more easily. i dont see SWAT popup that much from MM. i keep seeing Headhunter and Stockpile pop up way more often.

Raide said:

The game itself is about as basic as it gets, shoot. head. Doesn't matter, it's all over on Tuesday.

How do you make a SWAT map anyway? An empty room would work for that game type.

LiK said:
they just hate it cuz you have no shields so you die more easily. i dont see SWAT popup that much from MM. i keep seeing Headhunter and Stockpile pop up way more often.

try playing team slayer

I decided to hop into the Arena grinder for the first time today. My first game was great: +10 kills, 1571 rating, and a Steaktacular.

Next two games I barely broke 1300 on the ratings. -1 and -5. :lol

It's addicting though. And it's the only playlist I can go into and be guaranteed to not have to play a mode I hate!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Drakken said:

Who's better?

How many assists did the other guy have?

LiK said:
i do sometimes but i like BTB more. more fun with more players.

You mentioned you didn't see SWAT that often, play more team slayer and you will get your fill. I would like BTB more but I hate spire and that's what that game type is played on most often it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom