• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
GhaleonEB said:
I think, as customs wind on, we should see if there is interest in custom Firefight games. I love'em, and we're all doing cR-free customs anyways.

Hopefully some creative, challenging stuff lands in matchmaking for Firefight, life limits included. Infinite lives and therefore no challenge is why I spend all my FF time in Score Attack. I queued up your variant for download, it sounds like a lot of fun.
It could probably use some work on the loadouts - but it was just too much fun to test with my buddies so I had to throw it up on the file share. Hope you guys dig it, or if not I'm happy to hear where I went wrong, or what can be improved.

I've still got quite a few ideas for novel Firefights but I'm running into walls trying to make them happen. Even with such a wealth of options Bungie provided us, its still a pretty tight framework to work within.

If I could wish a few small(?) additions to FF customization, they'd be:

* Allow us to remove/adjust enemy shields like we can with spartans. Firefight SWAT anyone?
* Allow us to give continuous Active Camo on all enemies as a skull effect. I've got a sweet Aliens-ish version of FF thats all about radar and Spec Ops (camo) elites, but there isn't enough variety.
* Let us actually reduce shootiness. We get a few options, but all of them increase fire rate and accuracy, none of them lower it. I've tried to work around this by decreasing enemy senses, but the side effect of this is that enemies mostly pool around in the back without attacking.
* Let us put Motas and Guetas into firefight, or include them as hazards on certain maps.
* Lastly, for some reason I can't seem to make a loadout that starts with the Focus Rifle. I can configure the loadout but when you actually play the game you're unarmed. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

And man, do I wish I had the patience that some you Forgers have. There is some truly incredible stuff out there, but even with all the usability changes I still find myself messing around with only a few lego pieces at most, for far too long - a full level is way beyond my capabilities atm. :D

Why do so many more people play team slayer than individual slayer (whatever it's called)? They basically seem like the same thing, except with the latter you don't have to bother paying attention to what color the person you're shooting is. Are the maps different?

Hey You

I am Super Mario said:
Why do so many more people play team slayer than individual slayer (whatever it's called)? They basically seem like the same thing, except with the latter you don't have to bother paying attention to what color the person you're shooting is. Are the maps different?
Maybe people like playing as Team....or are tired of playing Infection.
:(

Raide

zero margin said:
The game itself is about as basic as it gets, shoot. head. Doesn't matter, it's all over on Tuesday.

How do you make a SWAT map anyway? An empty room would work for that game type.

Just having a box and people shoot would be a bit boring. :lol I always thought SWAT felt like the serious version of Halo. Back in Halo 2, it felt a little more twitch than traditional Halo games.

Symmetrical maps seem to work well for SWAT, since everyone has the same layout, so they have to learn the map to be good, instead of just camping 1 weapon and popping heads. I am working on a FFA DeathMatch style map (Seems like I always make these maps :lol ) and I am looking at what makes SWAT actually fun.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Photolysis said:
Okay, how's this for a weird bug.

I assassinate someone for the final kill in the game, only for it to award the kill to someone else because the guy's teammate missed me and shot him in the head in the final frame of the assassination.

Meanwhile, the guy on my team who "killed" this player doesn't land a single shot during my assassination, and had no contribution to the kill. Rather mockingly, the game also gave me an "assist".

So the red guy got a yoink betrayal and you got the assist for doing what is it, 60% damage.

That actually makes total sense, the system did work.

if you actually play as a team it's fun as hell and rewarding, grabbing an area for control and holding the power weapons as a team makes for some mean dominiation. Infruiating when you have a dumb team that jumps like lemmings into the green lift on sword base when you can fucking HEAR the sword. especially when they are partied and you cant talk to them.

Hey You said:
Maybe people like playing as Team....or are tired of playing Infection.
:(

The experience between individual vs. team doesn't seem that different to me, though. It always seems like everyone for himself.

TheOddOne

Well still going through the campaign.
Finished New Alexandria and the sudden death of Kat really stuck with me. I know that she would die, but so sudden.

Kuroyume

Banned
I am Super Mario said:

Is there individual slayer? Rumble Pit has shitty objective games too I think...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Completed the daily challenge on Winter Contingency. I found Heroic + Mythic + Thunderstorm to be MUCH harder than vanilla Legendary. On Legendary I had 9 deaths. Doing the challenge, I had 18. Most of them to that fucking sword elite at the end.

The thing that makes it most difficult is that a charged plasma pistol shot doesn't drop shields, with mythic on. Plus, for the first encounter with the 4 (5? 6?) elites, you don't have a DMR yet. So after dropping their shields I would spray an entire AR clip into them, which would sometimes kill them, & sometimes wouldn't.

Kind of a brutal skull combination, to be honest.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GDJustin said:
Completed the daily challenge on Winter Contingency. I found Heroic + Mythic + Thunderstorm to be MUCH harder than vanilla Legendary. On Legendary I had 9 deaths. Doing the challenge, I had 18. Most of them to that fucking sword elite at the end.

The thing that makes it most difficult is that a charged plasma pistol shot doesn't drop shields, with mythic on. Plus, for the first encounter with the 4 (5? 6?) elites, you don't have a DMR yet. So after dropping their shields I would spray an entire AR clip into them, which would sometimes kill them, & sometimes wouldn't.

Backpedal and PP Overcharge twice. It stuns him, free headshot.

I did Top of the spear with mythic and thunderstorm and found it much easier than legendary.

Sai-kun

Banned
I am Super Mario said:
The experience between individual vs. team doesn't seem that different to me, though. It always seems like everyone for himself.

Sounds like CoD syndrome to me. Whenever I play with a competent group of people in a team, we always do much better than I would playing by myself. We always call for help, call out locations of enemies, stick together (for the most part) and it usually goes well.

Our ten game win streak kinda speaks for itself :D

LordAlu

GDJustin said:

You do have a pistol though, so you can just headshot them. I did the same as you (Winter Contingency + Mythic & Thunderstorm skulls) and had no trouble with it at all. I died just once to a lucky stick from a grunt :( All in all it was a very easy challenge.

GDJustin

Alienshogun said:
Backpedal and PP Overcharge twice. It stuns him, free headshot.

I did Top of the spear with mythic and thunderstorm and found it much easier than legendary.

It doesn't stun him. It seems to just enrage him :lol

The 2nd PP overcharge, when his shields drop, THAT stuns him. But the first one he runs right through. So I had ~8 deaths of hitting him with one overcharge PP and trying to backpedal to get a send one off only for him to run up and kill me.

I also had a death where I DID kill the sword guy, took his sword, and tried to kill the other elite with it, who was still at the controls. TWO hits from the sword didn't down him. He ended up wasting me :(

Next time I got that far I played it safe and assassinated :lol

Magni

Did all five challenges earlier today with my brother, Nightfall on Legendary with Mythic and Thunderstorm was fun :lol

We're back online to do some co-op and what? My challenges have reset? What happens if I redo one? (Gonna kill 250 enemies since we're doing campaign..) I don't wanna get banned =/

Kuroyume

Banned
This game doesn't have campaign matchmaking? I thought they announced that it would have it and yet I don't see it anywhere.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GDJustin said:
It doesn't stun him. It seems to just enrage him :lol

The 2nd PP overcharge, when his shields drop, THAT stuns him. But the first one he runs right through. So I had ~8 deaths of hitting him with one overcharge PP and trying to backpedal to get a send one off only for him to run up and kill me.

I also had a death where I DID kill the sword guy, took his sword, and tried to kill the other elite with it, who was still at the controls. TWO hits from the sword didn't down him. He ended up wasting me :(

Next time I got that far I played it safe and assassinated :lol

He stops and yells, that's plenty of time to line up a headshot. :D

Kuroyume said:
This game doesn't have campaign matchmaking? I thought they announced that it would have it and yet I don't see it anywhere.

Next week, read the BWU!

catfish said:
So the red guy got a yoink betrayal and you got the assist for doing what is it, 60% damage.

That actually makes total sense, the system did work.

You can't get yoink betrayals. If you do, this truncates the animation and awards the kill and assassin medal. It's similar if you shoot your teammate in the head after an enemy has removed his shields. You don't get a betrayal, it awards the guy who downed the shields with the kill (and sometimes medals he didn't actually earn).

The system didn't work:

The player who got the "kill" only connected with a single DMR shot well outside the 5 second window (insufficient damage and timing)
I had already removed the guy's shields as per the assassination animation, meaning I had done the most damage at that point.
The game failed to recognise I was performing an assassination (the kill was not a "Yoink" for the player who got credited with it)

Kuroyume

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Next week, read the BWU!

Oh good, guess I can forget about the weekly challenge... :lol

Btw, just read they are bring back the Halo 3 betrayal system. Why? Why go back to something that was worse? The was hardly a three strike system anyway. It would bring up the prompt after several or just one betrayal. It was inconsistent.

Oh jesus. Why did I do this to myself? I should've brought home my xbox. I'm itching to play some Halo, so...

*gets out old Xbox and starts Halo 1*

Fake Edit: Disc read error. @$#*@*(@$*(**&(&)!)(@%#^@^^^&

2 Flag Classic on Haemorraghe - ugh, especially when one of them gets Sprint so can catch me after I've wandered across the entire map and finally got the flag :(

Drakken said:
OK class, here's the quiz:

Player A: 10 kills, 8 deaths.
Player B: 17 kills, 26 deaths.

Who's better?

Player B of course! What a valuable contribution to the team! (1437 rating vs. 1284 for A)

This rating system is so screwed up.
Who cares about rating? I thought truskill was still in effect for arena

Trasher

Drakken said:
OK class, here's the quiz:

Player A: 10 kills, 8 deaths.
Player B: 17 kills, 26 deaths.

Who's better?

Player B of course! What a valuable contribution to the team! (1437 rating vs. 1284 for A)

This rating system is so screwed up.
How many assists did each player have? 1 assist makes up for 3 deaths.

StUnNeR H2K

Not sure if anything like this has been done, but I did a comparison of Powerhouse from the BETA to the RELEASE version. I was limited as to what I could do since I had to go from the video I recorded during the beta to compare. Was also a challenge trying to re-create the same camera paths I did during the beta...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_kYf9AWkDI

TheOddOne

StUnNeR H2K said:
Not sure if anything like this has been done, but I did a comparison of Powerhouse from the BETA to the RELEASE version. I was limited as to what I could do since I had to go from the video I recorded during the beta to compare. Was also a challenge trying to re-create the same camera paths I did during the beta...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_kYf9AWkDI
Why did you remove the toilets, Bungie? Nobody shits on Reach?

Good video StUnNeR H2K!

Mik2121

Hey GAF, let's stay around playing Matchmaking just a bit more!. I'm still Warrant Officer Grade 3, but the bar is on the "i" in "Captain". That's probably about two more games if I get some extra stuff meanwhile.

OK need some help on solo legendary.
4 hunters. WTF! How do I get by these guys? I have a DMR with 30 bullets left and there are some plasma pistols and needlers around. I also have the hologram. I can't kill them with the weapons at my disposal. I tried to run by them once and succeeded but got destroyed on my way out. I have a bad feeling this is the end for me.

Chorazin

Awesome, BTB on Hemorrage, half my team quits, blue team then spawn camps us with a Scorpion, a Revenant, and all the rest had Ghosts. So fucking fun. :(

The next game I get in? BTB SWAT. God fucking dammit.

GDJustin

Alienshogun said:
He stops and yells, that's plenty of time to line up a headshot. :D

No... that isn't what I'm talking about. Like I said, it takes TWO PP blasts to drop his shield and stun him. The first blast he runs right through. And he kept charging and killing me before I could charge the PP and get the 2nd shot off.

CitizenCope said:
OK need some help on solo legendary.
4 hunters. WTF! How do I get by these guys? I have a DMR with 30 bullets left and there are some plasma pistols and needlers around. I also have the hologram. I can't kill them with the weapons at my disposal. I tried to run by them once and succeeded but got destroyed on my way out. I have a bad feeling this is the end for me.
You can find shotguns and ammo below, the middle. Personally, I'd advise
going past them rather than putting up a fight.

Just finished the game. Awesome.

Through the first 4 missions or so I was having a horrible time. I really was bored with the game. While the cutscenes were good and better than previous Halos, it seemed like they were just checking off a list of things that needed to be in a Halo game. I almost didn't want to play it anymore.

However, around the first time the jetpack is made available, thats when the game really starts to take off and they start doing a lot of neat things.

The spire is where I remember where I thought to myself okay, I'm starting to enjoy this game now. New Alexandria (the first city level), while a rehash of some of the stuff in ODST, it was done better due to the verticality and the use of the jetpack. The one thing I liked about that level was that it was actually designed around using the jetpack and that made it fun.

I don't know why they didn't try to make the other levels in the game designed around an armor ability. Like maybe one where you need to sprint between cover otherwise you'll get blasted by a turret, or one where you're in an area thats getting attacked by airstrikes and you have to use the armor lock to protect yourself at a certain interval, etc. Maybe thats just not fun gameplay, but in that case they probably needed to design better abilities that would be fun to use.

They could have really cut the first four levels into 20% of the length of what they were and made the Mongoose ride at the end the penultimate moment of the game which lead you straight to the platform instead of having more combat after that and it would have been a MUCH MUCH better game.

The space combat part of the game probably could have controlled better (instead of using LB+LS for rolls you should have just been able to control the pitch of the ship with the LS directly). But I liked it. I also loved the Pelican level.

The big negative for me other than the first 4 levels was the cutscene transitions. There were so many moments which could have been a lot cooler if there wasn't a fade to black between the cutscene and the gameplay starting. Its such a small thing but it really pulls you out of the moment.
For example, when you jump out of Carter's pelican near the end of the game, it would have been really cool if that had just been purely in first person and went straight into gameplay as soon as you got up

I also thought there was a lot more enemy types than previous Halos, or at least that the different enemy types were easy to distinguish from each other.

I really hope 343 doesn't try to redo Halo 1/2/3 and should look to the second half of Reach and look at what Epic did with Gears 2 by having a lot of set pieces and special cases of gameplay and bring that to the next Halo. I'm also hoping for some new game mechanics as well (maybe R6 Vegas style cover system? or a full time jetpack and/or sprint?)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
HaloGAF Reach Customs are starting in just over 30 minutes from this post.

We have some good home grown ForgeGAF maps to test out tonight in addition to the regular mayhem.

Dani said:
HaloGAF Reach Customs are starting in just over 30 minutes from this post.

We have some good home grown ForgeGAF maps to test out tonight in addition to the regular mayhem.

Dani, I am halfway done making my BTB map, can you guys play on it tonight? PLEASE?!?

Trasher

Oozer3993 said:
They changed it from the Beta. Assists (and kills) now make up for 2 deaths.
I'm telling you from the experience of a couple days ago. Not from the beta. Me and Nutter had the same kills, but one of us had 3 more deaths and one more assist. Our rating was the same.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GDJustin said:
No... that isn't what I'm talking about. Like I said, it takes TWO PP blasts to drop his shield and stun him. The first blast he runs right through. And he kept charging and killing me before I could charge the PP and get the 2nd shot off.

I know, like I said, backpeddle and hit him with 2 overcharge PP. It's quick and easy. I did it to the sword elite at the top of the spire on Tip of the Spear which is a much shorter distance than in the spot you are referring to.

Anyway, it doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom