• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gui_PT

Sweet challenges.

How are we supposed to get 5 sword kills though? Isn't the sword General the last guy to show up in the round?

Word of the day is Bromango!

Marty has made it abundantly clear in the past he hates user control of the audio. His most hated feature of the 360? Custom audio. His justification is the easily refuted "If I'm doing my job right you should never need control". In actuality it smacks of arrogance or insecurity. We all know that disabling dialogue is simply a "fuck you" to anyone who dares mess with the audio, even if Marty dresses it up as "attempting to preserve the audio experience".

Not only is volume control for sound effects, dialogue, and music standard, it's also necessary. Marty seems to think he can balance the audio for millions of different environments and playstyles, and people all with different hearing sensitivities. Unfortunately in this regard he is delusional.

Halo is played in millions of different rooms, on different sound systems, all with their own power ratings, acoustics, and many other variables. It is impossible to obtain perfect balance for all of these at the same time, and that's readily obvious even to non audio engineers. Someone in Marty's position should have no excuse for not realising this obvious fact.

Everyone also has a different capacity for hearing - some people are more or less sensitive to parts of the audio spectrum than others. Again, this is readily obvious with only superficial knowledge of the field.

I love Marty's music myself and think he is a very talented composer, but there are so many times I end up wishing for an option to make the dialogue louder.

Gui_PT said:
Sweet challenges.

How are we supposed to get 5 sword kills though? Isn't the sword General the last guy to show up in the round?

Word of the day is Bromango!
I just did a score attack (on Beachhead) where the last wave was two sword guys and the rest fuel rods. I managed to take down one of the swords first and use it on two of the other Elites, but then I got fuel rod spammed and there was no time left.

So it's doable, just irksome, and you have to play four waves of score attack to position yourself to do it.

Photolysis said:
Marty has made it abundantly clear in the past he hates user control of the audio. His most hated feature of the 360? Custom audio. His justification is the easily refuted "If I'm doing my job right you should never need control". In actuality it smacks of arrogance or insecurity.

Not only is volume control for sound effects, dialogue, and music standard, it's also necessary. Marty seems to think he can balance the audio for millions of different environments and playstyles, and people all with different hearing sensitivities. Unfortunately in this regard he is delusional.

Halo is played in millions of different rooms, on different sound systems, all with their own power ratings, acoustics, and many other variables. It is impossible to obtain perfect balance for all of these at the same time, and that's readily obvious even to non audio engineers. Someone in Marty's position should have no excuse for not realising this obvious fact.

Everyone also has a different capacity for hearing - some people are more or less sensitive to parts of the audio spectrum than others. Again, this is readily obvious with only superficial knowledge of the field.

I love Marty's music myself and think he is a very talented composer, but there are so many times I end up wishing for an option to make the dialogue louder.

Thanks for the info. I figured it couldn't just be an oversight on Bungie's part.

Gui_PT

Shake Appeal said:
I just did a score attack (on Beachhead) where the last wave was two sword guys and the rest fuel rods. I managed to take down one of the swords first and use it on two of the other Elites, but then I got fuel rod spammed and there was no time left.

So it's doable, just irksome, and you have to play four waves of score attack to position yourself to do it.

Figured as much. How about Snipers? (I forget the name, sniperfight?) Take everyone out from a safe distance, and on the last wave, take out one sword guy and start slicin' around.

Just played my first game of Race absolutely not by my choice. Words cannot describe how bad that mode is.

I did a near perfect race but lost because I spawned behind 3 people...Really? Really?!

Katanarama. Challenges done, gnite.

Gui_PT said:
Figured as much. How about Snipers? (I forget the name, sniperfight?) Take everyone out from a safe distance, and on the last wave, take out one sword guy and start slicin' around.

I don't remember seeing any sword guys on Sniper Fight, just Hunters with some Grunts and Ranger Elites.

Score attack seems the best bet for getting them to appear, as the last wave is Elite Generals, but actually scoring kills with the sword verses Elites with Fuel Rods is much harder.

Crashsite is much easier to do the challenge, and there are more targets in the final wave, but guys with swords only seem to turn up rarely.

It could be do to do with the map or just randomly, but last wave is generally either group of yellow elites with swords, or hunters/ranger elites and grunts is what I've noticed from playing FF.

theultimo

Easy way to get the blammite achievement one though - start a custom firefight game with unlimited ammo on the needler as the primary, and go to town. 10 explosion kills and you will get it.

Willeth

Photolysis said:
Marty has made it abundantly clear in the past he hates user control of the audio. His most hated feature of the 360? Custom audio. His justification is the easily refuted "If I'm doing my job right you should never need control". In actuality it smacks of arrogance or insecurity. We all know that disabling dialogue is simply a "fuck you" to anyone who dares mess with the audio, even if Marty dresses it up as "attempting to preserve the audio experience".

Yeah. If you're doing it right, we don't need to touch the audio settings. I completely agree.

However, you can do it right, and my flatmate can be playing something else in the next room. Or my sub might be out. Or any number of a million things.

I really like that the music swells to a crescendo at opportune moments. Thanks for that. But if someone's talking at the same time and I can't hear them, fuck you.

EDIT: Juices, how did you die from a turret?!

remz

I really like that the music swells to a crescendo at opportune moments. Thanks for that. But if someone's talking at the same time and I can't hear them, fuck you.
if he's done his job right, that isn't an issue.

i don't exactly remember that (your example) happening in reach.

Easy way to get the blammite achievement one though - start a custom firefight game with unlimited ammo on the needler as the primary, and go to town. 10 explosion kills and you will get it.
Easier still- Needle rifle. Every 3 needles on an unshielded enemy supercombines

also, I really hate the term "sandbox" as opposed to like... game. it sounds so dopey. sandbox this, sandbox that

zlatko

Banned
To anyone who needs today's challenge of the 5 sword kills in firefight matchmaking here's what I did.

I picked score attack matchmaking, then score attack on Corvette. If you can make it to the very last wave 6 or so elites drop down and 1 will have a sword. If you can take him down, then you can kill the remaining 5 with it. It was close down to the last minute for me with about 1 or 2 lives left. Friend did it on courtyard same way, but said the first time he did it the Elites didn't have a sword guy amongst them, but the next time they did.

Trickster

I am so FUCKING tired of pinnacle. That map is the single most infuriating piece of shit map I have ever had the misfortune of having to waste my time playing on. It's just never fun to play on, never. Even if the game is pretty even.

But of course, most of the time it will just become a horribly, horribly onesided whack-a-mole type game where one team get's both snipers. Forcing the other team to having to try and sprint from cover to cover in the faint hope that they will actually make it to the tower of fucking doom, only to be instantly showered in a hail of grenades and dmr fire if they actually manage to get close.

Fuck whoever at bungie felt that this poorly made forge remake was actually good.

Actually, fuck whoever at bungie thought that the forge world maps were actually good, they all suck. Pinnacle is just in a different plane of suckage.

zlatko

Banned
Trickster said:
I am so FUCKING tired of pinnacle. That map is the single most infuriating piece of shit map I have ever had the misfortune of having to waste my time playing on. It's just never fun to play on, never. Even if the game is pretty even.

But of course, most of the time it will just become a horribly, horribly onesided whack-a-mole type game where one team get's both snipers. Forcing the other team to having to try and sprint from cover to cover in the faint hope that they will actually make it to the tower of fucking doom, only to be instantly showered in a hail of grenades and dmr fire if they actually manage to get close.

Fuck whoever at bungie felt that this poorly made forge remake was actually good.

Actually, fuck whoever at bungie thought that the forge world maps were actually good, they all suck. Pinnacle is just in a different plane of suckage.

If I was a lady I'd ask you to marry me, because I feel the exact same way about the Forge World maps. I think they are ALL utter shit, look like shit, play like shit, spawn like shit, etc.

Asylum blows, pinnacle blows, cage REALLY blows, and so on. My favorite MP map right now is power house for a multitude of reasons. I don't follow Halo religiously, but is it safe to say Reach has the WORST map selection at launch from the entire series? I don't think I ever really hated any maps in H3 with my limited time with it, so I do feel it's a downgrade from Halo 3 maps at start for sure.

Trickster said:

I have a map you can download and it has tons of cookies and candies. It also has a van down by the river. I eat gov'ment cheese like its nobodies business.

Fo' real, download it: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=4630429&player=Synergy Black

*edit*, I agree, Pinnacle is trash. Only map I find fun is countdown and a few others.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Trickster said:

Amen.

I understand the forge maps are a nice added bonus and the amount of ground-up maps wouldn't have changed regardless of whether we got them or not, but that doesn't excuse the forge maps from being terrible. I mean, they're just not that great at all and I die every time they pop up in rotation. I really can't wait until we get more maps that are new that get brought into rotation because these forge ones are wearing thin on me.

Trickster

xxjuicesxx said:
Someone just lost a game on Pinnacle. :lol

Pretty much yeah :lol

But are you gonna tell me that you think pinnacle (or any forge map really) is a well made map that is fun to play on?

This isn't the first time I've expressed my oppinion of pinnacle or forge maps however :p

Hydranockz said:
Sorry I had to leave so soon guys. I have 2 clips if anyone wats to render them.

My revenge kill on Trasher. He was tearin' it up with that sniper!

51 seconds detailing how Red team can't handle warthogs.
Rendered both of 'em for you...

----

Tashi0106 said:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=4627656&player=NYSTOFMIND23

Can I get a render please? This is pretty hilarious clip of SWAT on The Cage.

Also, just hit my Captain WOOT!!
Seems fair enough :lol

Also Grunts birthday party is pretty hilarious, I am so tempted to buy it.... Hrmm

OMG Aero

remz said:
if he's done his job right, that isn't an issue.

i don't exactly remember that (your example) happening in reach.
I had to play through all of Reach with subtitles on because I couldn't hear the cutscene dialogue over the music.

C4Lukins said:
That campaign was terrible. The last level is the worst level ever created in the entire series. Great cinematic ending though. MP is great, but I am almost glad to see Bungie move on because that was a pathetic SP effort. I would put it below ODST and Halo 2 even.
This is wrong. There's nothing else to it; it's just wrong.
Trickster said:

Paradiso and Asylum are a lot of fun.

Shake Appeal said:
Asylum is good (even better in MLG! Bungie, fix the base-camping!), but The Cage is the worst map in the game.

Add sword base to that mix and you got yourself a deal. That map is just a campfest (I win the majority of the games on it but I don't find it fair for the other team since it is almost impossible to come back once you get top control).

Popeck

It's pretty hilarious that I've killed 223 times with the grenade launcher while I've been killed 13 times with the same weapon, in Arena and Competitive combined. Not to mention the multiple assists I've got with it. People just don't realise how effective "Propipe" can be. It also spawns pretty quick in Powerhouse and Sword base.

zlatko

Banned
Popeck said:
It's pretty hilarious that I've killed 223 times with the grenade launcher while I've been killed 13 times with the same weapon, in Arena and Competitive combined. Not to mention the multiple assists I've got with it. People just don't realise how effective "Propipe" can be.

I seek this bad boy out on swordbase often. It is amazing when a team starts to camp in the green vent room and you just unload 1-2 nades in there with it. :D

Photolysis said:

That's really obnoxious and reminds me of the jackasses at Infinity Ward (no options in MW2 either). There are many times in Halo Reach where I just couldn't hear what was being said and having subtitles only seems to help for cutscenes.

The user should always have complete control over music and sound effects, like you said there are a lot of different sound setups out there.

Hey the Gunslinger challenge, I guess firefight wouldn't work for that right?

I'll jump on the bandwagon and say the audio mixing is pretty bad for voiceovers during gameplay. They tried to do some sort of surround/proximity thing with friendlies voice overs if they are close by, but it really should just be the same volume coming over your comm system in the first place, whether or not they are next to you.

Disguises

RANT START

There's a lot of small things that I'm getting annoyed with now. Spawning without armour abilities (complete disavantage, especially if ur in the middle of a fight), SWAT (SWAT on Hemmorhage? wtf), quitters (finished an invasion match 2v2 the other day), crap players (why is it only me on my team with a positive k/d?), lag in firefight (makes it very hard/impossible to play), the ping bars in multiplayer which lie and say I'm green and I'm clearly lagging like shit, spawning in 3...2....1...0....*wait for 4 seconds*......spawn, slowww ranking system (doesn't feel like I accomplish anything sometimes), tanks in certain maps/gametypes, snipers in certain playlists, players who boot you for an accidental betrayal, black screen for 1 minute even though no one quits.

I mean, I'm still having fun - sometimes. I just want to play a classic big team battle game without it being a tank match or everyone-hide-in-their-base fest. There's a lot of things that stand in the way for me to have fun with Reach. Maybe I'm out of touch, maybe I'm being too picky, but truth is, bungie should not have put crappy SWAT on Hemmorhage or 5-6 vehicles per side in a 4 on 4 objective game. It's like they didn't test these things - I mean, I know they did a lot of testing, but it doesn't feel like they did.

I know they are fixing some of the things on my rant list and I know some of them are inevitable but I just needed to vent some of the things that are really annoying me about this game.

END RANT

Other than that, the daily challenges are an awesome addition, you know you're hooked when you get back from work and the first thing you have to do is complete the challenges!
Sigh, such a completionist :(
. I'm totally looking forward to the implementation of community maps and gametypes, they'll hopefully play better than some of the stuff that's in here now...

Just got 300,000 cR saved and bought the heart breaker armour effect, yay! <3. Saving up for EVA lightbulb helmet now.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
xxjuicesxx said:
Just played my first game of Race absolutely not by my choice. Words cannot describe how bad that mode is.

I did a near perfect race but lost because I spawned behind 3 people...Really? Really?!

Katanarama. Challenges done, gnite.
Rally is much, much, much worse. The games go on forever, too, since it's pretty much impossible to win outright. Luckily I've only had to play it once.

GDJustin said:
1000 cR Gunslinger
Kill 100 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

500cR Covenant-cide
Kill 60 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking.

750cR Mythic Evasion
Complete a Campaign mission on Heroic or harder with Tough Luck and Mythic on.

1200cR Katanarama
Kill 5 enemies using the Energy Sword in Firefight Matchmaking.

What is the shortest/easiest SP mission besides Winter Contingency? I've gone through it for all the other campaign daily challenges, and don't feel like doing it again today.

Search for 'slipping through the cracks' on HBO and you will find a speedrun where you can literally do Nightfall in 5 minuites.

"1000 cR Gunslinger
Kill 100 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking."

Very misleading description, firefight is technically multiplayer matchmaking.

Alivor

Beat the campaign on Legendary solo last night. Some parts were tough, but it was very satisfying to finish it. Now I can finally focus on MP.

Jinjo

Gui_PT said:
=(

Edit: Just played Invasion. Ended up being me and another guy against 6.

This happened to me yesterday too. Best part: we captured that fucking core. :lol

We lost 2 people at the first stage, 2 more at the second stage. After that it was just the 2 of us, against six. We got the core down, but they recovered it. 2 on their team quit or got booted and then we got the quick cap in. Managed to hold them off in the first stage of the next round pretty neatly until the entire game collapsed due to network problems or something. Resulting in a 3-0 for the two of us.

Shoogoo

Trickster said:

Amen to that. And fuck the cage, especially on multi team for gods sake. Why are people even voting for that shit is beyond me.

But as Dax said, Paradisio and Asylum are cool. They just look bland like every other forge map though.

On another note, just finished my solo run on legendary. What a ride :) I wish I played on that setting the first time around. Great campaign all around, can't think of a chapter that I like less than the others.

Blueblur1

Shake Appeal said:
Asylum is good (even better in MLG! Bungie, fix the base-camping!), but The Cage is the worst map in the game.
I agree. It's a mess of walkways and walls. No wonder it didn't make the cut for Halo 1.

ChocholateMILK
Banned
(Today, 09:37 AM)
Reply | Quote

Wasn't Milk a junior? Gone forever I suppose.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Blueblur1 said:
I agree. It's a mess of walkways and walls. No wonder it didn't make the cut for Halo 1.

ChocholateMILK
Banned
(Today, 09:37 AM)
Reply | Quote

Wasn't Milk a junior? Gone forever I suppose.

Yup, wassup wit dat BROMANGO!

Eh, guess it's BANMANGO now. :lol

Gui_PT

BUNGIE! Someone found a way to bypass the shields on Invasion, the ones that disappear once a territory is captured (at least on Boneyard) I'll post a clip soon so you can see.

Why was Milk banned?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:
BUNGIE! Someone found a way to bypass the shields on Invasion (at least on Boneyard) I'll post a clip soon so you can see.

It was only a matter of time. At least it's Bungie dealing with the game and not infinity ward, or EA/Dice. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom