• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
vhfive said:
1 is Construct.

2 is The Pit aka the greatest map in Halo history

bonus is High Ground

edit: thanks Ram

All these maps need to make a come back ASAP. I'll drop the $ for a DLC pack with them in it----especially for the pit which I agree is probably my favorite map I played in Halo 3. Whenever that map got voted on I was like awwwwwww yeah! :D

I think I played Infection for my first time ever on that map and had a blast.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
zlatko said:
All these maps need to make a come back ASAP. I'll drop the $ for a DLC pack with them in it----especially for the pit which I agree is probably my favorite map I played in Halo 3. Whenever that map got voted on I was like awwwwwww yeah! :D

I think I played Infection for my first time ever on that map and had a blast.

I would personally rather have all new maps, especially since I don't know the old maps that well. :D

Kuroyume

Banned
Wasn't there a Lockout forge remake in the video where they revealed Forge World? Why isn't it in the game?

Seriously, enough with the Valhalla talk... It was an awful map and Hemmorrhage now exists so there's no point in having an inferior map with the same basic layout (more or less) remade for a map pack. Just do it in Forge and play it in customs. Even if Valhalla was a good map it would still be a shitty map compared to Halo 2's BTB maps so there's no point to keep crying about it. They'll just make it a shittier map anyway (if that's possible) by adding new stuff to it.

Construct sucked balls. As for the Pit, has it been redone in Forge yet?

Vehicles haven't been done right since Halo 2. I'm still not sure if I dislike or like what they did with it in Reach. They were INCREDIBLY annoying in Halo 3 so to see them knocked down a bit (Scorpion excluded) is really nice. When I play Halo, I want to play a first person shooter not car combat so I'm okay with it. Halo 3 was too vehicle heavy. They could take like 15 grenades and a ton of firearm shots and still move around ruining the game.

Btw, anyone like the design for Spire? I hated it for a while but the design is actually kind of nice with all the gravity lifts at the bottom to break your fall. It's kind of amusing to still see people fall to their deaths.

Reflection is an example of why this game shouldn't have Radar on default.

The lift jumpup on green side lacks any kind of a ramp so there is really no way to catch them by surprise. Try to make a push on snipe from either hallway and you're going to be seen from a mile away on radar and naded to hell and back. If you want to use the elevator then you're going to have to crouch to get there without getting smacked.

cuevas said:
The maps play so differently its not even close. The original bg was great for everything but team slayer, this abomination in reach is bad for everything.
The biggest differences are the bases being different from Coagulation, with no Banshee spawn underneath. Also, no overshield, active camo or ammo drops add to the differences.

I still like Hemorrhage, just the Scorpion needs to be removed or replaced with a Wraith.

Blueblur1

Nearly 10 years later, I will concede that Blood Gulch was never that great of a map. It was a wide open space with barely much on it. After playing Hemorrhage, I've finally realized that fact upon noticing how far we've come (in other words, how awesome Bungie's other maps have been). While it isn't absolutely terrible, I don't really like it. Especially since it's not really Blood Gulch or Coagulation but a mixture of both with some slightly different terrain and weapons and vehicle placement. I appreciate the fan service Bungie but this is one instance where maybe Bungie should have said,"Fuck it. We're going to do something more creative with this space than please some old fans."

As for Pinnacle, I had a short discussion, argument, whatever you want to call it, with Dani the other day about that map. While I appreciate it having been remade, I think Bungie really should have tried to do something different with that remake. The Banshee spawn and accompanying walkway needs some love, and there's no reason why anyone should be able to camp the towers with the jetpack. It's a great map but very exploitable and too similar to Ascension. Ascension was great but it had it's problems and Pinnacle has more (once again, fuckin' jetpacks).

And just like Dax, I'm crossing my fingers for a Valhalla remake. It think it was best execution of the Blood Gulch style of map.

Edit: Reflection is perfection though. <3 Ken Taya

And we need more BTB maps.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I cosign the need for BTB maps. Hell, just create maps that work for Invasion, and BTB both.

And radar is the major hook to get new players adjusted to the game. Pros play games without Radar, and that's a fact. Instinct > YOUR ENEMY IS BELOW YOU, RIGHT BESIDE THE LIFT.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Blueblur1 said:
Nearly 10 years later, I will concede that Blood Gulch was never that great of a map. It was a wide open space with barely much on it. After playing Hemorrhage, I've finally realized that fact upon noticing how far we've come (in other words, how awesome Bungie's other maps have been). While it isn't absolutely terrible, I don't really like it. Especially since it's not really Blood Gulch or Coagulation but a mixture of both with some slightly different terrain and weapons and vehicle placement. I appreciate the fan service Bungie but this is one instance where maybe Bungie should have said,"Fuck it. We're going to do something more creative with this space than please some old fans."

As for Pinnacle, I had a short discussion, argument, whatever you want to call it, with Dani the other day about that map. While I appreciate it having been remade, I think Bungie really should have tried to do something different with that remake. The Banshee spawn and accompanying walkway needs some love, and there's no reason why anyone should be able to camp the towers with the jetpack. It's a great map but very exploitable and too similar to Ascension. Ascension was great but it had it's problems and Pinnacle has more (once again, fuckin' jetpacks).

And just like Dax, I'm crossing my fingers for a Valhalla remake. It think it was best execution of the Blood Gulch style of map.

Edit: Reflection is perfection though. <3 Ken Taya

Do you really think they will remake valhalla when there is BG in forgeworld? Are you hoping for just a variant of BG? I really doubt they would go to the trouble to remake valhalla with BG being in, but I could be off base.

I also really like Reflection. I think boardwalk and countdown are awesome too, but need tweaked.

So, is there any word on the rank cap being lifted? Im a lt Colenal grade 2 now so im coming fairly close to the current cap (Yeah, I play too much :lol ) and im actually kind of worried ill lose a ton of credits from commendations while capped.

Commendations seem to be the best way to rank up through the early ranks, and so losing them as a tool to help rank me up would be pretty bad. It sucks that hitting the rank cap so quickly basically just means ill be wasting my commendations while waiting for the cap to be lifted. Sure ill get to keep the Cr earned, but considering each rank takes like hundreds of thousands of Cr im not actually worried about saving up for armours. Im more worried about just earning the huge amount of Cr needed to rank up.

So yeah maybe Bungie should also freeze commendations when you hit the rank cap. Because right now im kind of thinking that ill avoid matchmaking till I can rank up again just because I don’t want to be screwing myself over. I know how sad that sounds, and I can hear the cries of “just play the game for fun” – but when it comes down to it getting some of those later armours is too compelling to me.

I know ill still play a lot, especially when friends are on, but I think ill actually try and get some of my ideas for forge maps built while I wait to rank up again. So yeah the ‘player investment system’ is actually sort of making me want to not play the multiplayer side of the game lol.

I must say that I did the Target Locator thing about 10 times to help me get through the grind of Warrant Officer Grade 3, but now I kind of regret it looking at how much Cr you need for some ranks!

All of this BG hate...

BG was an incredible map, a map that I spent countless hours on (Tricking & Playing on XBC). The problem with Hemorage and Coagulation is Halo 2 and Reach are nothing like Halo:CE in terms of gameplay. The pistol changed the way that map played out (for the better).

The fact that you could have someone leave your base with the flag in the Warthog and you had an actual chance to stop them if you were on foot, makes a huge difference. In Halo 1 a well timed grenade would likely end up flipping the warthog or at least taking down their shields, after that it was only a matter of a couple pistol shots. Even if you didn't have grenades you could TSK someone with the pistol in a Warthog. In Reach if you see a warthog drive by while you're on foot there is not a whole lot you can do about it. The DMR takes five shots to kill and good luck getting five clean shots on a warthog as it flies by, and even if you do manage to land a grenade under the warthog it barely effects it and likely the driver and passenger would continue on relatively unharmed.

An altered physics engine and revamped weapons ruined BG, it's unfortunate because nothing has ever compared to the fun of 2v2 CTF BG (IMO)...

Devin Olsen said:
All of this BG hate...

BG was an incredible map, a map that I spent countless hours on (Tricking & Playing on XBC). The problem with Hemorage and Coagulation is Halo 2 and Reach are nothing like Halo:CE in terms of gameplay. The pistol changed the way that map played out (for the better).

The fact that you could have someone leave your base with the flag in the Warthog and you had an actual chance to stop them if you were on foot, makes a huge difference. In Halo 1 a well timed grenade would likely end up flipping the warthog or at least taking down their shields, after that it was only a matter of a couple pistol shots. Even if you didn't have grenades you could TSK someone with the pistol in a Warthog. In Reach if you see a warthog drive by while you're on foot there is not a whole lot you can do about it. The DMR takes five shots to kill and good luck getting five clean shots on a warthog as it flies by, and even if you do manage to land a grenade under the warthog it barely effects it and likely the driver and passenger would continue on relatively unharmed.

An altered physics engine and revamped weapons ruined BG, it's unfortunate because nothing has ever compared to the fun of 2v2 CTF BG (IMO)...

While I have NEVER tried 2v2 CTF on BG :lol I have played some Snipers only games on it with only like 4 people and it worked pretty well. I agree with EVERYTHING you just wrote and I would love to add that im sure BG was smaller in scale than Hemmorage.

So yeah Blood Gulch was and still is awesome, I can happily load up Halo PC right now and play the hell out of it. Hemmorage isnt so good :/

Actually I just played a few games of Halo PC to test it out, and I ended up in a Death Island match - if the people at Bungie remade that I would personally be overjoyed.

EDIT: Yeah getting around Blood Gulch is MUCH quicker than getting around Hemmorage - Blood Gulch has more natural cover created by natural sort of hilly parts of the map. Hemmorage is more or less just a giant field with random bumps here and there.

Blood Gulchs Geometry > Hemmorages - test for yourselves.

Ganhyun

so, which firefight gametype should i be voting for for the sword challenge? so far I've played rockets, snipers, firefight, and gen defense with no sword ever being seen on the map.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I kind of don't want Bungie to remake Pit because I know it will be different.

Also MLG Pit >>>>>>>>>>>> Default Pit

theultimo

bobs99 ... said:
So, is there any word on the rank cap being lifted? Im a lt Colenal grade 2 now so im coming fairly close to the current cap (Yeah, I play too much :lol ) and im actually kind of worried ill lose a ton of credits from commendations while capped.

Commendations seem to be the best way to rank up through the early ranks, and so losing them as a tool to help rank me up would be pretty bad. It sucks that hitting the rank cap so quickly basically just means ill be wasting my commendations while waiting for the cap to be lifted. Sure ill get to keep the Cr earned, but considering each rank takes like hundreds of thousands of Cr im not actually worried about saving up for armours. Im more worried about just earning the huge amount of Cr needed to rank up.

So yeah maybe Bungie should also freeze commendations when you hit the rank cap. Because right now im kind of thinking that ill avoid matchmaking till I can rank up again just because I don’t want to be screwing myself over. I know how sad that sounds, and I can hear the cries of “just play the game for fun” – but when it comes down to it getting some of those later armours is too compelling to me.

I know ill still play a lot, especially when friends are on, but I think ill actually try and get some of my ideas for forge maps built while I wait to rank up again. So yeah the ‘player investment system’ is actually sort of making me want to not play the multiplayer side of the game lol.

I must say that I did the Target Locator thing about 10 times to help me get through the grind of Warrant Officer Grade 3, but now I kind of regret it looking at how much Cr you need for some ranks!
When its rumored to take 1 mil credits for ranking up on the highest ranks, it would be a while to reach max level. I mostly just play through daily challenges and almost hit captain. They should adjust it within the month or so.

zlatko

Banned
Ganhyun said:
so, which firefight gametype should i be voting for for the sword challenge? so far I've played rockets, snipers, firefight, and gen defense with no sword ever being seen on the map.

Go to fire fight, score attack, and pick score attack on courtyard or corvette. On the final wave if you make it 6 elites drop and 1 has a chance to have a sword. Good luck. :D

ElRenoRaven

Ok I think I'm ready to enlist some help from HaloGaf.

The map I've been working on for Team Slayer and slayer varients is ready for testing. I'm not very good at weapon placement so any suggestions would be very appreciated. Also the mounted guns on top of each base is just something I'm playing with. I'm not sure I'll keep that.

So feel free to give it a go and give me some feedback.

The Hilltop (WIP)

joaomgcd

I managed to snipe a grenade yesterday! :lol

reach_4468249_Full.jpg

Tadale

On the subject of Pinnacle, I'll never understand why the rocket still spawns where it does. The blue spawn on that map has always been an advantage, and moving that rocket launcher to the banshee platform or in the center of the bowl would have really helped that map out.

Tadale said:
On the subject of Pinnacle, I'll never understand why the rocket still spawns where it does. The blue spawn on that map has always been an advantage, and moving that rocket launcher to the banshee platform or in the center of the bowl would have really helped that map out.
it's because bungie never actually plays their game

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

zumphry

Banned
Gui_PT said:
Sweet challenges.

How are we supposed to get 5 sword kills though? Isn't the sword General the last guy to show up in the round?

Easily got it in one game of Score Attack on Corvette. Just wait for a General to run at you in the safe house (usually where I go on the final round) and Plasma Pistol+DMR him. Then wait for the other Elites to come at you and you'll get it (if you haven't already). Also, I usually have the last enemy be a Brute that just stands around doing nothing. Weird.

Gui_PT said:
Would anyone like to play 4 player co-op Legendary later on today?

Yeah, sure.

joaomgcd said:

That is awesome. :lol

Actually - can we get a special thread to show off our videos? I know theres a forge maps thread and a screenshots thread, but theres a sever lack of a videos thread. I have some videos I would love to share and I would love to see some epic videos from Gaf (Gaf customs every week would probably give the thread a boost in content!)

I noticed yesterday that a few Gaffers commented on some of my fileshare videos - thanks guys I appreciated it.

Raide

PsychoRaven said:

The map I've been working on for Team Slayer and slayer varients is ready for testing. I'm not very good at weapon placement so any suggestions would be very appreciated. Also the mounted guns on top of each base is just something I'm playing with. I'm not sure I'll keep that.

The Hilltop (WIP)

I will download and post some feedback in the ForgeGAF thread Here!

Arnie

Tashi0106 said:
I kind of don't want Bungie to remake Pit because I know it will be different.

Also MLG Pit >>>>>>>>>>>> Default Pit
This, dear lord this.

After a hard weekend away from my 360 it will be nice to return to it tonight.

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:
All of this BG hate...

My experience on BG has has generally been like this (from last night on Shake's iteration of Hemorrhage): unfun pain.

The dude was over on the other team's ledge. This is why the hill on Valhalla, and the vehicle placement on that map, was so important. Gulch is bursting at the seams with moments like that, every game I've ever played on it (on default settings/configuration). Any map where 1) the high ground is around the edges and 2) there are snipers/long range weapons and 3) there is absolutely no cover in the open = fail.

Ganhyun

zlatko said:
Go to fire fight, score attack, and pick score attack on courtyard or corvette. On the final wave if you make it 6 elites drop and 1 has a chance to have a sword. Good luck. :D

darn, i played a few and no luck getting an elite to drop with a sword. sucks. but oh well. guess ill just forget that challenge. :lol :lol

GhaleonEB said:
My experience on BG has has generally been like this (from last night on Shake's iteration of Hemorrhage): unfun pain.
:lol I know the resolution of the video isn't that great, but I can't even see the sniper. I can see where the shot came from, but not the person.

ElRenoRaven

Raide said:
I will download and post some feedback in the ForgeGAF thread Here!

Keep in mind also I think I might be removing that rock wall I created on one side too. I haven't decided yet but I think kill zones may be enough now that I have gotten the hang of them.

Hey You

Why aren't there any Commendations for Objective Games? Like Capturing a Flag,beating someone down with a Objective etc.

DHalo

StUnNeR H2K said:
Not sure if anything like this has been done, but I did a comparison of Powerhouse from the BETA to the RELEASE version. I was limited as to what I could do since I had to go from the video I recorded during the beta to compare. Was also a challenge trying to re-create the same camera paths I did during the beta...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_kYf9AWkDI

If you re-download the beta and still have the saved films, you can still view them and capture them with a capture card.

Raide

PsychoRaven said:
Keep in mind also I think I might be removing that rock wall I created on one side too. I haven't decided yet but I think kill zones may be enough now that I have gotten the hang of them.

Looks good so far. That rock cover is cool but could turn into a corner of death for the ones that spawn there. :lol Since you have put it on the island, kill boxes are not too essential, unless you allow Jetpacks in.

ElRenoRaven

Raide said:
Looks good so far. That rock cover is cool but could turn into a corner of death for the ones that spawn there. :lol Since you have put it on the island, kill boxes are not too essential, unless you allow Jetpacks in.

Yea. I don't want to limit the armor abilites. That's why I put the kill zones on it. The big limits I put were of course power weapons and vehicles. I didn't want 500 rocket launchers running around but didn't want both warthogs running around at all times so I needed a good counter to those that can be fought over.

Also I had the same thought about that side. I haven't figured out yet what I want to do to make it so that if you are over there you won't get locked into that area.

Blueblur1 said:

A million times this!

BTB is pretty much all I play and it's pretty sad that the only BTB maps are Boneyard, Spire, Paradiso, and Hemorrhage.. and sometimes Countdown and Boardwalk which doesn't make sense. :lol

I want more vehicle based maps... sort of like Ghaleon's Crossroads map which I thought was amazing, by the way. ;)

And please please please let there be original BTB maps that are not made on Forge World in future updates.

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
Why aren't there any Commendations for Objective Games? Like Capturing a Flag,beating someone down with a Objective etc.
The Commendation design was careful not to include things that would encourage players to alter their behavior too much. If there's one for capping flags, I'm pretty sure you'd never manage to cap the flag again: your team would be killing you (even more than normal) to cap the flag themselves and advance their Commendation. If there was a flag beat down Commendation, that team mate of yours wouldn't be trying to cap the flag to begin with: he'd be camping in the enemy base trying to get beat downs. Likewise bomb games, Stockpile caps, etc. The Commendations should not interfere with the game type objective.

i was just about to get the sword challenge on the last brute and right when i go up to him he kills himself with a sticky and the game ends

Raide

-Yeti said:
A million times this!

BTB is pretty much all I play and it's pretty sad that the only BTB maps are Boneyard, Spire, Paradiso, and Hemorrhage.. and sometimes Countdown and Boardwalk which doesn't make sense. :lol

I want more vehicle based maps... sort of like Ghaleon's Crossroads map which I thought was amazing, by the way. ;)

And please please please let there be original BTB maps that are not made on Forge World in future updates.

What about BTB maps that focus on AA's instead of Vehicles?

This sword challenge is really pissing me off. I hate challenges that require you to be in the right room at the right time with the right people who vote for the right map.

Sai-kun

Banned
Neuromancer said:
This sword challenge is really pissing me off. I hate challenges that require you to be in the right room at the right time with the right people who vote for the right map.

Score Attack?

Retro

PsychoRaven said:

The Hilltop (WIP)

Downloaded, I'll post feedback in the Forge thread when I get a chance to try it.

zlatko

Banned
You know what I really want to see?

Third person playlist.

I think this game could be fun even as a third person shooter. It'd be really fun to play it like that or at least have the option to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom