• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should be getting our cable connection hooked up this week, can't wait to get back into Matchmaking. Also need to finish the campaign with my co-op couch buddy. Oh and is there any way to turn on a way point or something of the sort? I keep getting lost.

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:
As for the Reverant... It's almost fun to put into maps because it causes such chaos :lol
That's one of the reasons I love it. It's noisy and chaotic and all hell breaks loose when it's around, even if it's not all that powerful. It's basically an FRG blast but you'd think is was a small nuclear explosion wrapped in a hurricane every time it fires. :lol

alright tier - powerhouse, boardwalk, reflection, asylum, sword base

meh tier - pinnacle, zealot, boneyard

garb tier - the cage, hemmorage, paradiso, spire, countdown

GhaleonEB said:
That's one of the reasons I love it. It's noisy and chaotic and all hell breaks loose when it's around, even if it's not all that powerful. It's basically an FRG blast but you'd think is was a small nuclear explosion wrapped in a hurricane every time it fires. :lol

:lol This.

It's probably my favorite vehicle since the Brute Chopper. If you're landing the shots with either vehicle, you can make vehicles spaz out and flip all over the place. I love it.

spermatic cord said:
Good tier - powerhouse, reflection, sword base

Meh tier -Asylum, pinnacle, zealot

garb tier - Everything else

That's my opinion. And aside from the top three, some gametypes can currently ruin even the "Meh" maps. I had a much more fun time in the Group 2 Customs last night than with any map not in the good category since release.

Magni

spermatic cord said:
alright tier - powerhouse, boardwalk, reflection, asylum, sword base

meh tier - pinnacle, zealot, boneyard

garb tier - the cage, hemmorage, paradiso, spire, countdown

Alright: Asylum, Countdown, Powerhouse

Meh: Pinnacle, Reflection, The Cage, Zealot

Garb: Boardwalk, Sword Base

big ander

-Yeti said:
:lol This.

It's probably my favorite vehicle since the Brute Chopper. If you're landing the shots with either vehicle, you can make vehicles spaz out and flip all over the place. I love it.
It doesn't make the removal of the chopper hurt less.

TheOddOne

Right at the moment I spawn I get melee'd. This happend twice to me without spawning on a bro. I should really look at where I spawn.

big ander said:

Oh yeah, no doubt. I still really miss the Chopper, but I'm still glad I have a vehicle that can mess with all the other vehicles in a similar way.

Retro

Raide said:
What about flying vehicles, or do people prefer BTB to be on-foot/land vehicles?

I think you really have to build a map around the concept of having air vehicles. You can't just take an existing map, drop air vehicles in it, and use excuses like "Well, infantry has cover" because then you've got infantry basically hiding for the entire match while air dominates anyone who sets foot outside. I tinkered with the idea of a 'dogfight' map a while back, and I still have a rough concept for it... we'll see.

I almost wish there was a gun that was pathetic to use on the ground but had amazing anti-air capabilities. As it is, the Spartan Laser and Rockets are too useful to ground forces to safely tuck away somewhere for the sole purpose of anti-air. Maybe bring back the missile pod.

... what we need is a mounted AA Gun that you can plop into a map :lol.

Maybe there's some way to make a game type that converts rockets/laser so that they can only be used on vehicles... hmm.

Gui_PT

I messaged the people who were interested but didn't get a response, so, who wants to join me and Zayneh for a few Legendary levels?

So last night I got one of my mates who is not very good at Halo to run through Winter Contingency on Legendary in split screen with me so I could knock out some achievements/challenges (I would normally do it over XBL with someone good, but lag is a major issue for some of my mates).

It took a while and had some moments of frustration but damn it was fun. I got the achievement for the Moa's, finishing a legendary mission without dying (and the Carter helment), not travelling in vehicles, and the weekly challenge. The last area of that level was intense with 1x Sword Ultra & 2x Concussion Rifle Elites... we managed to finish it, and I only had a sliver of health and next to no shields because when my mate died, it would spawn him next to me and the Elites would spray their rifles in the tunnel (the door closes behind you, and Jorge is useless). So I'm yelling at my mate to run out there and get away from me, he's yelling back that he'll just die again, and I'm trying to explain to him that's the point as the sword ultra enters the tunnel and comes after me... I plasma pistol'd and DMR headshot him at the very last moment - so crazy.

Eventually I had to take the controller of my mate (I asked politely a few times but he kept refusing and dying over and over). I can see why some people would prefer CoD style gameplay after last night... I could not for the life of me, explain or make him understand the concept of popping shields and THEN headshotting. He would just stand there with the PP overcharging until the ammo dried up and then hit something... and then try to PP again. His alternative strategy was to stand waaaay back (behind me - despite his only purpose to be my distraction/meat-shield) and shoot the pistol at their head... but not popping shields first.

I was basically rapid-firing the Plasma pistol from distance to kill Skirmishers etc because I had no pistol ammo and he was struggling with the concept. And for the record, he bought the game last week and finished the campaign on Normal. I have no idea how anyone can make their way through the entire game on any difficulty but easy, and not understand how shields/headshots/Plasma pistol works.

Anyway, lots of fun, and now I just need to get the Tank, Target Locator and Firefight points achievement - which I've been trying to do legit (I got 200,000 ok) but I think I will have to 'customize' my next firefight match to get the 1,000,000 achievement - that just seems impossible.

How people even consider Reflection as even an average map is beyond me. The map is just plain cumbersome. Too many lifts to get to people, too many long narrow hallways and has a terrible flow.I think it would help a bit if the platform above entrance was a little higher up so that players could put pressure on people camping snipe spawn. As it stands you can jump and get guys no shield but it's hard to get a finishing shot because they tend to back off just enough to be out of range.

Shoogoo

NinjaFusion said:
exactly.

leave it as it is but update everything visually.

a la good of war collection.

don't mess with the spirit of the game one iota

I'd be too scared if they announced that remake seriously

fake edit : ^ I agree with the poster above. Reflection is .. ugh

Dark FaZe said:
How people even consider Reflection as even an average map is beyond me. The map is just plain cumbersome. Too many lifts to get to people, too many long narrow hallways and has a terrible flow.I think it would help a bit if the platform above entrance was a little higher up so that players could put pressure on people camping snipe spawn. As it stands you can jump and get guys no shield but it's hard to get a finishing shot because they tend to back off just enough to be out of range.
I agree with this when there's a radar but no radar it's pretty decent.

MrBig

Shoogoo said:
I'd be too scared if they announced that remake seriously
They wouldn't take the time to do something like that. If bungie's next game is on PC we'll see it remade by fans who will actually care about it being the same as it was.

Sordid

I have to agree with all the comments about the Revenant, I <3 it :*)

big ander said:

But I also agree with this :*( I was absolutely rubbish with the Chopper but it was so much fun to use!

Trickster

alright tier - zealot, powerhouse, boardwalk, reflection

meh tier - boneyard, spire, countdown, swordbase

garb tier - the cage, hemmorage, paradiso, pinnacle, asylum

theultimo

Trickster said:
alright tier - zealot, powerhouse, boardwalk, reflection

meh tier - boneyard, spire, countdown, swordbase

garb tier - the cage, hemmorage, paradiso, pinnacle, asylum
Pinnacle is good for swat, but its mostly base camping. CTF is atrocious.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
theultimo said:
Pinnacle is good for swat, but its mostly base camping. CTF is atrocious.

If by good for swat you mean spawning into enemy LOS and getting nailed, then yeah it's awesome.

It and the cage are terrible for this. Cage is just complete rubbish in all regards.

I almost forgot this happened until looking through my files today.

Accidental new game type: Defend the Pelican!
reach_4792098_Full-1.jpg

Blackscreened on Invasion just as the round started, Pelican was already in motion and I guess it didn't notice the previous movement and started again from it's current position.
Result: fantastic. =)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Onyx-

Gold- Sanctuary, Powerhouse

Silver- Countdown, Zealot

Bronze- Boardwalk, Sword Base, Reflection, Pinnacle

Steel- The Cage

theultimo

Alienshogun said:
If by good for swat you mean spawning into enemy LOS and getting nailed, then yeah it's awesome.

It and the cage are terrible for this. Cage is just complete rubbish in all regards.
Yeah, good point. I was thinking its easy to sneak up on guys.

I love Spire, Paradiso, Asylum and Countdown.
I like Reflection, Boardwalk, The Cage, and Zealot.
Maps I think are okay: Powerhouse, Sword Base.
I don't like Hemorrhage, Boneyard, and Pinnacle.

Mr. Sam

Spoilered text is information about armour upgrades. I don't know if anybody wants to be surprised; I'm being extra cautious just in case.

I've come to resent being a Major Grade 1. I preferred the armour I wore as Captain -
HAZOP helmet with Operator-esque headpiece, ODST shoulders and chest
- but my friends insist that my new armour -
EVA helmet, Jun's chest, Base something shoulder and that fancy wrist thingamajig
- is much better, and so I feel obliged to stick with it.

I can't wait to get to Lt. Colonel and unlock the
JFO helmet, that shotgun brace chest and those big ass shoulderplates. Or maybe I'll get the Mark V helmet...

I know it's all just aesthetics, but a lot of what you unlock at Lt. Colonel is just plain cool.

watership said:
I was talking to a few friends at lunch today about the game. I told them one of my favourite parts of the campaign, and no one knew what I was talking about.

During the Alexandria mission and after you clear the hospital, you get into your falcon and a Covenant carrier swoops in over the city then fires it's main cannon and glasses half of it. It's a holy shit moment for me.

I got blank stares from everyone at the table. They seriously didn't know what I was talking about.

This is something that's driven me mad about Halo games and the people who play them. In the recent Weekend Confirmed, there was a discussion about how some people believe that Halo has a weak story and all the detail comes from extended media. Brian Leahy shot back that it comes down to the fact that most people don't pay attention to the detail that Bungie applies to it's Halo games. Basically, You're having so much fun that you don't notice the little things. This i get for terminals in Halo 3.
But NOT for a Starship that is glassing the city your flying it.
Sheesh.
To be honest, I noticed this yesterday on my third playthrough: that was my solo legendary one.
In my case, I know exactly what made me miss all this stuff: playing splitscreen. I had the same thing happen to me with all the previous games.

It seems to me there are 2 campaign experiences: the coop experience is more about interacting with your partners, blowing shit up together and having fun while the solo campaign is about blowing shit up and the ohs and ahs of the story and a million events taking place. Splitscreen makes this even more obvious if only because the sound mix can get weird (5.1 for 2 players at the same time will do that).

I'm not complaining, I'm not sure an immersive coop story experience can be achieved, locally in particular. I just think the game should be enjoyed both ways.

Chinner

Banned
Mr. Sam said:
Spoilered text is information about armour upgrades. I don't know if anybody wants to be surprised; I'm being extra cautious just in case.

I've come to resent being a Major Grade 1. I preferred the armour I wore as Captain -
HAZOP helmet with Operator-esque headpiece, ODST shoulders and chest
- but my friends insist that my new armour -
EVA helmet, Jun's chest, Base something shoulder and that fancy wrist thingamajig
- is much better, and so I feel obliged to stick with it.

I can't wait to get to Lt. Colonel and unlock the
JFO helmet, that shotgun brace chest and those big ass shoulderplates. Or maybe I'll get the Mark V helmet...

I know it's all just aesthetics, but a lot of what you unlock at Lt. Colonel is just plain cool.
sounds like you got it tough bro

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The only map I really love is Countdown (reminds me of a vintage UT map). I hate The Cage (worst Halo map ever), Powerhouse, Hemorrhage and Paradiso. The rest are decent.

The MLG remake of sanctuary is much better than asylum. Better lines of sight, no screen lag, is more like H2 sanctuary(similar jumps, rocks placed correctly), and has a ground that grenades can bounce off easier.

Chinner

Banned
biosnake20 said:
The MLG remake of sanctuary is much better than asylum. Better lines of sight, no screen lag, is more like H2 sanctuary(similar jumps, rocks placed correctly), and has a ground that grenades can bounce off easier.
they must have used the correct textures

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
biosnake20 said:
Agreed

panda21

Net_Wrecker said:
The very LAST part of the Campaign actually felt like "This planet is going under," but yeah, I agree that it wasn't as evident as it should've been. Something like
The Nuke
from CoD4 was WAY more convincing in its portrayal of "Holy Crap, something huge just happened." Events like that should've happened multiple times in the last quarter of Reach.

yeah i think there were a lof of things that happened but just werent shown or emphasised nearly enough.

i completely missed all of the glassings in the alexandria bit, i had no idea there was one after the hospital bit, and i thought the reason the guys were going down in the elevator in the ONI base at the end of that bit was to escape a glassing, but the actual event was completely glossed over and it seemed they survived it by.. hanging out in the basement for a bit. was nowhere near as dramatic as it should of been

plus the times the big ships on either side get taken down, don't seem quite violent enough. just the force of something that heavy hitting the ground would cause a huge blast

ElRenoRaven

HAHA. I found a fun way to solve my new bunker looking like it's floating minus the ramp connected. Upside down man cannon. Make it look like it's holding the structure. lol

panda21 said:
yeah i think there were a lof of things that happened but just werent shown or emphasised nearly enough.

i completely missed all of the glassings in the alexandria bit, i had no idea there was one after the hospital bit, and i thought the reason the guys were going down in the elevator in the ONI base at the end of that bit was to escape a glassing, but the actual event was completely glossed over and it seemed they survived it by.. hanging out in the basement for a bit. was nowhere near as dramatic as it should of been
Funny fact I discovered while replaying that level: the events and their order are randomized on this level.
I didn't get the Buck event and its awesome ODST music yesterday :(
Another funny thing: either my audio setup is fucked up or the subtitle track has stuff in the last cutscene of that level that's been left out of the audio track.
My understanding is that it's civilians that are left behind while the Spartans lock themselves up after Kat's death

Chinner

Banned
Palette Swap said:
Funny fact I discovered while replaying that level: the events and their order are randomized on this level.
I didn't get the Buck event and its awesome ODST music yesterday :(
Another funny thing: either my audio setup is fucked up or the subtitle track has stuff in the last cutscene of that level that's been left out of the audio track.
My understanding is that it's civilians that are left behind while the Spartans lock themselves up after Kat's death
buck event? TELL ME MORE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom