• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes the sword challenge even worse is that you might go though an entire game and the end wave is a Brute pack or Generals with all Concussion rifles.

aaarrghh

LukeSmith

Hey You said:
Why aren't there any Commendations for Objective Games? Like Capturing a Flag,beating someone down with a Objective etc.

Because then ya'all would start betraying each other to capture the flag, take the assault bomb and camp with it to melee dudes rather than play the game right. ;b

zlatko said:
You know what I really want to see?

Third person playlist.

I think this game could be fun even as a third person shooter. It'd be really fun to play it like that or at least have the option to.
Absolutely not. A game designed as an FPS play well as a third person shooter? Especially Halo? Ew.

Sai-kun said:
Score Attack?
Hmm that's a good idea, not sure if I can get to the last wave on my own though.

Thagomizer said:
What makes the sword challenge even worse is that you might go though an entire game and the end wave is a Brute pack or Generals with all Concussion rifles.

aaarrghh
Yeah it's really shitty.

Gui_PT

zlatko said:
You know what I really want to see?

Third person playlist.

I think this game could be fun even as a third person shooter. It'd be really fun to play it like that or at least have the option to.

Get out.

Alienshogun said:
It's the same map from everything I can see, it's the game that plays differently.

It's a shit map in Reach. I was arguing pure semantics with you because you said "never."

They should have done a valhalla type level and adapted the game to it.

(

Dax01 said:
Absolutely not. A game designed as an FPS play well as a third person shooter? Especially Halo? Ew.

Actually, Halo 1 and 2 played pretty well in third person. Playing competitively would be horrible, but playing with friends is fine. :lol

Played split screen for the first time today and it's nice to see the game functions nearly the same as single player, just missing foledge and that range limit of seeing people, in one game I was being sniped by someone I could not see until I finally saw him which required being scoped... Even if he was just a black polygon cube at least let me see my opponents at far range, bungle.

This stupid sword challenge is really getting my blood pressure up. I've been playing on and off all day and only seen elites with swords once, which is how I got those 3 kills. Who the hell thought this was a good idea for a challenge? It's so dumb.

Repgnar

Diablohead said:
Played split screen for the first time today and it's nice to see the game functions nearly the same as single player, just missing foledge and that range limit of seeing people, in one game I was being sniped by someone I could not see until I finally saw him which required being scoped... Even if he was just a black polygon cube at least let me see my opponents at far range, bungle.

Haha, you must have been playing with only 2 people because once you get 3+ there's a serious disadvantage for those on that tv. I'm assuming that's the only reason why Big Team is restricted to 2 people per tv because playing a big map with 3+ people is frustrating. Hemorrhage with 4 people and DMR starts showcases this perfectly, the opposing player won't show up a quarter of the map away and you'll start taking invisible DMR shots out of no where.

Trickster

Hey You said:
Why aren't there any Commendations for Objective Games? Like Capturing a Flag,beating someone down with a Objective etc.

One of the things I don't understand either. Commendations are very satisfying to unlock, but there are so few in the game.

I don't see why they didn't make it so that there were commendations for doing pretty much anything. There could have been commendations for getting kills with each weapon and different objective completions like you mention. It would give people incentive to try out weapons and gametypes they normally don't touch.

But another thing I don't understand about the commendations is, why on earth they become so exponetially more timeconsuming to get each time they go up a rank. Take the "Crack Shot" multiplayer commendation (kills with precision weaponry), the iron rank version takes 100 kills. The bronze rank version takes 400 kills. And the silver rank version takes 3500 kills to get. Let's use me as an example, I've played 206 multiplayer games so far, and I only have 1051 kills with precission weapons. So I'm a looooong way from getting my next Crack Shot commendation.

I hate to say it, but CoD is much, much better when it comes to unlockables, in CoD you unlock stuff all the time, even after having played it a lot. In Reach however, it looks like unlocking stuff is gonna become a very rare occurence once you get the first few commendations to their silver rank.

Edit - Oh and also, when I got the Crack Shot silver rank commendation. My reward was a measly 1000 Cr, so commendations are gonna be very rare to unlock, and when you finally get one, it's gonna be a pathetic reward...

zlatko

Banned
Dax01 said:

Just an added play list. I don't play invasion, but some people do and enjoy it. It's not like a third person play list would come into w/e your playing and force you to play it.

I played a LOT of the third person game type in Modern Warfare 2 and was really surprised they had added it as something you could play, because Call of Duty is a FPS series first. It had a really cool Socom feel to it and had me rethink my loadouts/strategies/weapons.

I could see the same amount of enjoyment out of a Third-Person game type in Reach as well. Yes there are plenty of other things that need to come first with fixes, maps, etc etc, but a few months down the line I'd be very welcome and open to this existing to spice things up.

wow, wow, wow.

wow.

played through the campaign last night for the first time. simply sensational on every level and in every way... this is a real high water mark for the 360 - and the game i've wanted from bungie since halo 1.

i actually got up early today to start it all again on legendary.

Bungie - thank you so much.

MS's internal team is going to have to go some to beat this.

Anyway... roll on the 360 halo 1 remake now please.

watership

I was talking to a few friends at lunch today about the game. I told them one of my favourite parts of the campaign, and no one knew what I was talking about.

During the Alexandria mission and after you clear the hospital, you get into your falcon and a Covenant carrier swoops in over the city then fires it's main cannon and glasses half of it. It's a holy shit moment for me.

I got blank stares from everyone at the table. They seriously didn't know what I was talking about.

This is something that's driven me mad about Halo games and the people who play them. In the recent Weekend Confirmed, there was a discussion about how some people believe that Halo has a weak story and all the detail comes from extended media. Brian Leahy shot back that it comes down to the fact that most people don't pay attention to the detail that Bungie applies to it's Halo games. Basically, You're having so much fun that you don't notice the little things. This i get for terminals in Halo 3.
But NOT for a Starship that is glassing the city your flying it.
Sheesh.

What do you guys think is the best playlist for killing the most dudes (assuming average player ability) for that kill 100 people in matchmaking challenge?

watership said:
I got blank stares from everyone at the table. They seriously didn't know what I was talking about.

It's incredibly easy to miss that, if you're dogfighting a Banshee at the time. Valve do that sort of thing much better.

watership said:
I was talking to a few friends at lunch today about the game. I told them one of my favourite parts of the campaign, and no one knew what I was talking about.

During the Alexandria mission and after you clear the hospital, you get into your falcon and a Covenant carrier swoops in over the city then fires it's main cannon and glasses half of it. It's a holy shit moment for me.

This is something that's driven me mad about Halo games and the people who play them. In the recent Weekend Confirmed, there was a discussion about how some people believe that Halo has a weak story and all the detail comes from extended media. Brian Leahy shot back that it comes down to the fact that most people don't pay attention to the detail that Bungie applies to it's Halo games. Basically, You're having so much fun that you don't notice the little things. This i get for terminals in Halo 3.
But NOT for a Starship that is glassing the city your flying it.
Sheesh.

I didn't notice the ship the very first time, because I was flying in the other direction when it happened. The second time I noticed and said wow. :lol

Striker

Kuroyume said:
Wasn't there a Lockout forge remake in the video where they revealed Forge World? Why isn't it in the game?

Seriously, enough with the Valhalla talk... It was an awful map and Hemmorrhage now exists so there's no point in having an inferior map with the same basic layout (more or less) remade for a map pack. Just do it in Forge and play it in customs. Even if Valhalla was a good map it would still be a shitty map compared to Halo 2's BTB maps so there's no point to keep crying about it. They'll just make it a shittier map anyway (if that's possible) by adding new stuff to it.

Construct sucked balls. As for the Pit, has it been redone in Forge yet?
The Lockout remake we had seen looked more akin to Blackout than Lockout. :\

Indeed about Valhalla. It's like I have to make the same statements every week because people didn't play enough of Halo 2 to vacuum how awesome its maps, notably its BTB maps, were. Most of the complaints are folks who never or rarely played Halo 2 and did most of their online MP in Halo 3. So their history revision is obviously skewed. The ones who dislike Hemorrhage due to its Scorpion domination will get pleased with the Wraith replacing it, and I think I'll like it better. It will make the vehicular combat more inviting.

Construct did suck balls. It was only good in MLG because then you didn't spawn with an AR and there was no radar. That map only worked under those guidelines. The Pit would be OK, but I much, much rather have Beaver Creek, a superior symmetrical map.

g23 said:
so is the lag in firefight online fixed?
You can't fix something that isn't broken (read this)

Bungie said:
Firefight Matchmaking 101

While we’re on the Firefight tip, we should talk a little Matchmaking Best Practices. As more and more players roll through Firefight Matchmaking, the network experience should continue to improve. We’re able to record your proximity to other players on the network and link you up with low latency players.

That said, the networking model used for Firefight (and soon enough, Campaign Matchmaking) is different than the multiplayer model and by default, the effects of latency are experienced a little bit differently as well. One sure fire way to ensure that your experience is impacted dramatically is to party up with other players thousands of miles across the globe from you (or with players who have demonstrably poor connections). While Matchmaking can and will make great connections, if you’re forcing a poor match-up through a party, there’s literally nothing our algorithm can do to lessen the impact of a bad connection.
It should go without saying that in every multiplayer mode you play, you should turn off torrents, stop streaming music, and make sure your network is running at optimal conditions. If you’re on a shared network, check to see that someone else isn’t killing your throughput. Every last megabit is precious.

For a more in depth look at how you can improve or troubleshoot your network, check into our Networking 101 article, previously posted to our Project Page.

Networking 101

watership

Dr Zhivago said:
It's incredibly easy to miss that, if you're dogfighting a Banshee at the time. Valve do that sort of thing much better.

I wonder if Bungie should break the action and go to a locked perspective to show when things like that happen.

watership said:

There isn't even CLOSE to enough emphasis on that. I missed it the first time around because quite frankly, I just didn't know it was happening. The audio especially does nothing to highlight the fact that something that massive is happening. Enemies should stop attacking the player, and the audio should been almost completely drowned out by the sheer noise, but it isn't near "epic" enough unless you're actually looking at it.

Raide

When it comes to Vehicle BTB maps, what vehicles do people like and why?

Working on a BTB ForgeGAF map, just getting a view of what vehicles people like and dislike.

Magni

Net_Wrecker said:
There isn't even CLOSE to enough emphasis on that. I missed it the first time around because quite frankly, I just didn't know it was happening. The audio especially does nothing to highlight the fact that something that massive is happening. Enemies should stop attacking the player, and the audio should been almost completely drowned out by the sheer noise, but it isn't near "epic" enough unless you're actually looking at it.

I didn't notice it either, playing with my Astros at full volume. This morning I went out to see a friend in town and when I came back my brother was playing through NA with his Astros on (so I had no volume watching him) and I noticed it. Weird.

Hmm, I seem to have an unusual amount of hateful messages from people tonight for being Lt Colonel. I haven't had any previously, though I have had a few say "cool armor" or suchlike.

The ones most amusing are where I'm accused of farming Gruntpocalypse all day (uh... no), am a Firefight whore (sorry I won't play a mode I enjoy), or am a bad player (that's why my K/D is far superior to yours, retard).

Oh the joys of morons on the internet who care about meaningless numbers.

Net_Wrecker said:

I thought it was quite hard to miss, actually. The entire screen started shaking, which was an obvious indication that something big is happening. I looked to my right, and there it was.

By the way, that was the most epic part of the Campaign for me. Just that 3 second event. Glorious.

Raide said:

Working on a BTB ForgeGAF map, just getting a view of what vehicles people like and dislike.

Default Warthog all the way. If you don't have one of those on your map, you're doing it wrong. :D

The only vehicle I dislike is the Scorpion. It's just way overpowered.

theultimo

Raide said:

No Tanks. Too overpowered.

-Yeti said:
I thought it was quite hard to miss, actually. The entire screen started shaking, which was an obvious indication that something big is happening. I looked to my right, and there it was.

By the way, that was the most epic part of the Campaign for me. Just that 3 second event. Glorious.

If there are still Banshees around, and you take off facing the other direction, the screen shaking does not signify anything other than "Damn it, these Banshees are annoying the crap out of me."

And it SHOULD be the most epic part of the Campaign, but it isn't executed well enough IMO. It should feel like a monumental event, but it just feels like "Well, something happened, and it looked cool."

Retro

Raide said:

Nothing fancy. I like Warthogs just for the feel of the vehicle, plus the fun of driving a gunner around. The mongoose feels too light; I wish it had a Turbo mode where it just BOLTED, to make up for it's lack of offense... though with a passenger it's not too bad.

I'm not a fan of the heavy vehicles. They're too big and powerful for one person to wield alone.

Net_Wrecker said:
If there are still Banshees around, and you take off facing the other direction, the screen shaking does not signify anything other than "Damn it, these Banshees are annoying the crap out of me."

And it SHOULD be the most epic part of the Campaign, but it isn't executed well enough IMO. It should feel like a monumental event, but it just feels like "Well, something happened, and it looked cool."

Ah, I see. I guess it was just the right moment for me. I was just flying along, and there it was.

I guess I can see how some people could have missed it though. And I do agree there could have been a bit more emphasis.

Speaking of that moment, I think there should have been more moments like that throughout the latter half of the Campaign. Sometimes I felt as if the planet was just under attack, not suffering from mass invasion and destruction.

joaomgcd said:
I managed to snipe a grenade yesterday! :lol
Did it kill the enemy too? I love when both myself and an enemy are close to death and they decide to throw a nade and bail only to have it explode barely out of their hand.
Saved myself a few times doing that, I must be having great luck lately. :)

If only I could pull it off on purpose. Watch out for people throwing nades, quick flick of the thumb and boom.

-Yeti said:
Ah, I see. I guess it was just the right moment for me. I was just flying along, and there it was.

I guess I can see how some people could have missed it though. And I do agree there could have been a bit more emphasis.

Speaking of that moment, I think there should have been more moments like that throughout the latter half of the Campaign. Sometimes I felt as if the planet was just under attack, not suffering from mass invasion and destruction.

The very LAST part of the Campaign actually felt like "This planet is going under," but yeah, I agree that it wasn't as evident as it should've been. Something like
The Nuke
from CoD4 was WAY more convincing in its portrayal of "Holy Crap, something huge just happened." Events like that should've happened multiple times in the last quarter of Reach.

Raide said:

Heavy Vehicles ruin maps in my opinion (Tank, Wraith)...

Stick to the classic Ghost/Warthog... The Mongoose doesn't hurt either.

As for the Reverant... It's almost fun to put into maps because it causes such chaos :lol

The Banshee is overwhelming at times and can quickly ruin a map (from what I have seen)... And the Falcon I can't give an honest opinion on, I haven't played around much with it or seen it used much in game.

theultimo

Raide said:
Even if you have plenty of defences for it?

What about flying vehicles, or do people prefer BTB to be on-foot/land vehicles?
Banshees are good because of good anti air lock on and are pretty weak. Wraiths are fine because they do have a counter and their Gun can be dodged. Tanks are pretty overpowered with the Fast main Gun charge and huge damage it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom