• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Palette Swap said:
Funny fact I discovered while replaying that level: the events and their order are randomized on this level.
I didn't get the Buck event and its awesome ODST music yesterday :(
Another funny thing: either my audio setup is fucked up or the subtitle track has stuff in the last cutscene of that level that's been left out of the audio track.
My understanding is that it's civilians that are left behind while the Spartans lock themselves up after Kat's death

There's stuff in the subtitles that was omitted in the actual track, one of which being
Jun talking about "baking the cake" when they blow up the relay at the beginning of tip of the spear.

They explain that in the legendary commentary too.

Chinner said:
buck event? TELL ME MORE

He's a mission in
New Alexandria, there are random missions you end up doing while flying in that level, one of which is a support roll for Buck. You don't always get it though.
Also, they said in the commentary there are more Easter eggs in
New Alexandria (the falcon level)
than in ALL of the rest of the game combined.

SpacLock

Just ran into a hacker 2 games in a row. He was fucking moon jumping all over the map at blazing speeds while shooting his automatic DMR. The funny thing is that I avoided him and reported him after the first game, only to run into him immediately afterward. Shows how much that whole system works.

Here's his GT for the Bungie people that visit the forum.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
SpacLock said:
Just ran into a hacker 2 games in a row. He was fucking moon jumping all over the map at blazing speeds while shooting his automatic DMR. The funny thing is that I avoided him and reported him after the first game, only to run into him immediately afterward. Shows how much that whole system works.

Post the clip, have someone render it, then Bungie can find him.

You may have avoided him, but he may have joined you from the previous list? I think that's still possible in Reach.

SpacLock said:
Really? The banhammer, or "the whole system" isn't instant. He's likely going to get banned sometime soon.

Edit: Seem to have read it incorrectly. My apologies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dax01 said:
Really? The banhammer, or "the whole system" isn't instant. He's likely going to get banned sometime soon.

I know you just started college, but work on your comprehension. He's talking about the "avoid" system on XBL.

ElRenoRaven

Ok for those that were nice enough to check out my map. I made some changes. You can delete the old version and redownload it. The one up now is the new version. I think I fixed that one slopped area to give anyone over there a fighting chance.

I updated link in original post but here it is too.

Hilltop (WIP)

Alienshogun said:
I know you just started college, but work on your comprehension. He's talking about the "avoid" system on XBL.
You don't have to be a jerk about it. I misread it.

Anyway...

I didn't know the same guy who played Emile played Marlo on The Wire.

Mind blown.

^^ this blew mine too and I've begun seeing Emile differently now :lol

Alienshogun said:
He's a mission in
New Alexandria, there are random missions you end up doing while flying in that level, one of which is a support roll for Buck. You don't always get it though.

It's pretty neat having this event since in the last level of ODST Buck implies he was on Reach during the glassing. And hearing Fillion and ODST music is just plain awesome. I like to think saving Buck was another important thing Six did.

Thanks for the info from the commentary, I have yet to watch it past 20 minutes.

Trasher

Dax01 said:
You don't have to be a jerk about it. I misread it.

Anyway...

I didn't know the same guy who played Emile played Marlo on The Wire.

Mind blown.
Months behind.
That's some Spiderman shit right there.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Palette Swap said:
^^ this blew mine too and I've begun seeing Emile differently now :lol

It's pretty neat having this event since in the last level of ODST Buck implies he was on Reach during the glassing. And hearing Fillion and ODST music is just plain awesome. I like to think saving Buck was another important thing Six did.

Thanks for the info from the commentary, I have yet to watch it past 20 minutes.

I loved it, it was definitely worth the watch. 2 hours may seem like too long for something like it, but I enjoyed the whole thing. It's just a shame we can't get a physical copy.

On another note, anyone know when those Halo Reach models from Square are going to be available? I would look it up, but I'm posting here while grilling porksteaks. :D

Trasher said:
Months behind.
That's some Spiderman shit right there.

Pervert!

PS Broken sniper rifle is immune to your grenades!

GhaleonEB said:
My experience on BG has has generally been like this (from last night on Shake's iteration of Hemorrhage): unfun pain.

The dude was over on the other team's ledge. This is why the hill on Valhalla, and the vehicle placement on that map, was so important. Gulch is bursting at the seams with moments like that, every game I've ever played on it (on default settings/configuration). Any map where 1) the high ground is around the edges and 2) there are snipers/long range weapons and 3) there is absolutely no cover in the open = fail.
Hey, I took those shots! Sorry!

And at the moment I was doing it, I said to myself: "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if the Mongeese were sheltered from sniper fire by being inside a base, just like on Valhalla? I should really get on that and make Sanguine 2.0 a reality."

The funny thing, watching the film back, is that people actually didn't make use of the cover I provided much, except when running the flag. I spent a good portion of the game in the other team's arch and went +12 just sitting there with the DMR while everyone opted to run through the rocks.

What did please me was that both flags ended up near their respective arch and were fought over there by infantry, and in fact the game had a tight finish because of that.

Onyx: ?!
Gold: Asylum, Countdown
Silver: Zealot, Sword Base, Reflection, Powerhouse
Bronze: Boardwalk, Pinnacle, Spire, Boneyard, Paradiso
Iron: Hemorrhage, The Cage

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Trickster said:
alright tier - zealot, powerhouse, boardwalk, reflection

meh tier - boneyard, spire, countdown, swordbase

garb tier - the cage, hemmorage, paradiso, pinnacle, asylum

WAT. Asylum is a great map.

I largely agree with the rest, though.

Sai-kun

Banned
DiabolicalBagel said:
I almost forgot this happened until looking through my files today.

Accidental new game type: Defend the Pelican!
reach_4792098_Full-1.jpg

Blackscreened on Invasion just as the round started, Pelican was already in motion and I guess it didn't notice the previous movement and started again from it's current position.
Result: fantastic. =)

"Why is the pelican flying down--OH MY GOD"

Mad Max

I think bungie should just remove the snipers from the bases on BG and put a single sniper with 2 clips in the middle of the map, so teams can fight over that. The scorpions should obviously be removed. And they could put a rocketlauncher in each base with only 2 rockets, to defend against the hogs/revenant.

Also pretty much every map seems to have problems with proper (power)weapon placement for some reason. The worst examples of this are probably pinnacle (rocks, 2xsnipe, shotty) and boardwalk (2xrocks, 2xsnipe, 2xshotty), but really the only maps that get it somewhat right seem to be asylum, countdown, zealot and swordbase.

Hey You

Alienshogun said:
I don't think Reach takes into account the Player Review system when Matchmaking. It didn't atleast in Halo 3.

ElRenoRaven

Hey You said:
I don't think Reach takes into account the Player Review system when Matchmaking. It didn't atleast in Halo 3.

Um yea it does. All Xbox live games do. That's the whole point of that system. Also it worked in Halo 3. I used it regularly just like I do with Reach.

Magni

Mad Max said:
I think bungie should just remove the snipers from the bases on BG and put a single sniper with 2 clips in the middle of the map, so teams can fight over that. The scorpions should obviously be removed. And they could put a rocketlauncher in each base with only 2 rockets, to defend against the hogs/revenant.

Also pretty much every map seems to have problems with proper (power)weapon placement for some reason. The worst examples of this are probably pinnacle (rocks, 2xsnipe, shotty) and boardwalk (2xrocks, 2xsnipe, 2xshotty), but really the only maps that get it somewhat right seem to be asylum, countdown, zealot and swordbase.

BG without counter-sniping isn't BG.. Only one Sniper on the map would even worse..

Hey You

PsychoRaven said:
Um yea it does. All Xbox live games do. That's the whole point of that system. Also it worked in Halo 3. I used it regularly just like I do with Reach.
I'm pretty it doesn't. I've heard many times it doesn't. I don't think games have to take the Review system as a factor.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hey You said:
I'm pretty it doesn't. I've heard many times it doesn't. I don't think games have to take the Review system as a factor.

It isn't the review player system he's talking about. It's the AVOID player system he's talking about. I've never run into someone I've avoided unless they joined me on purpose or through someone else I'm playing with.

Hey You

Alienshogun said:
It isn't the review player system he's talking about. It's the AVOID player system he's talking about. I've never run into someone I've avoided unless they joined me on purpose or through someone else I'm playing with.
The Avoid player/Review Player system is the same thing.

I and countless others through out Halo 3 have avoided people and ended up playing them in the next game or a game later down the road.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hey You said:
The Avoid player/Review Player system is the same thing.

I and countless others through out Halo 3 have avoided people and ended up playing them in the next game or a game later down the road.

Edit: Ah I see now. I was confusing file complaint for another option.

Still though, like I said, I've never run into someone I've avoided unless they went out of their way to find me.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just got back from a weekend in Chicago for a wedding. I managed to get Thursday's challenges done right before I left but had to miss Friday and Saturday, anything good?

Mad Max

MagniHarvald said:
BG without counter-sniping isn't BG.. Only one Sniper on the map would even worse..

Right now the map is basicly snipers vs. snipers (if you disregard the tank for a minute), which is pretty shitty if you didn't manage to grab a sniper yourself. This is basicly the fault of the map, since there is barely any cover from the two camping spots that snipers can sit in. Making the entire middle area of the map useless for infantry. If you put a sniper there, you'll give people a reason to fight over that middle area and gain control over the weapon since it's so powerful on this map. Which imo would make the map a bit more interesting to play. But like I said I would reduce the ammo to 8 rounds since you don't want that map control to last too long.

LiK

Deadly Cyclone said:
Just got back from a weekend in Chicago for a wedding. I managed to get Thursday's challenges done right before I left but had to miss Friday and Saturday, anything good?

where is your avatar from? funny

Hey You

Alienshogun said:
No it's not. One lowers your rating, the other assigns a smile/frown face, and avoids the other player.

Unless I'm on crack right now.
Uh, If you Prefer someone you,well prefer them and gives them a Positive rep. which equals = :).

You avoid someone, you avoid them and gives them negative rep. Which equals = :(

ElRenoRaven

Alienshogun said:
No it's not. One lowers your rating, the other assigns a smile/frown face, and avoids the other player.

Unless I'm on crack right now.

Edit: Ah I see now. I was confusing file complaint for another option.

Still though, like I said, I've never run into someone I've avoided unless they went out of their way to find me.

Actually it is the same. It puts the smiley or frown after you have left the feedback on them be it quitting early or unsporting conduct etc.

Also it doesn't 100 percent avoid. It is based on population of the online multiplayer game you are playing. IF there is a very small community you will still get matched up with them. It just weights it to not give you them. That's why it may not have worked as well for you. Maybe what you were playing had fewer people. For me I never get the people I avoid when it comes to Halo because I stick to team slayer, invasion, and Rumble Pit.

Sai-kun

Banned
Did Bungle say anything about fixing the top structures of Asylum? Shit's fucking annoying, and honestly, there's no reason why it should've shipped like that to begin with. What the fuck.

This game is really awesome, but when it sucks, it really fuckin sucks.

Ramirez

GhaleonEB said:
I like that not only is radar on by default, but it's more useful in Reach due to the detection of elevation.

Crutch.jpg

Elevation radar is the worst addition to the game, I could handle radar at times in the past games, but to COMPLETELY remove the element of wondering where your opponent might be is mind numbingly dumb.

ElRenoRaven

Sai-kun said:
Did Bungle say anything about fixing the top structures of Asylum? Shit's fucking annoying, and honestly, there's no reason why it should've shipped like that to begin with. What the fuck.

This game is really awesome, but when it sucks, it really fuckin sucks.

OK I have a question. Why is this a big deal? I honestly don't wee why. If it's a regular mode everyone can use a jetpack. Then if it's not they had to get up there somehow by climing on structure or something. Could your team not do the same?

I am honestly wondering because I've actually not seen many get up there the few times I have gotten the map. The few times they have jetpackers have taken them down right away.

Bread

Banned
Ramirez said:
Crutch.jpg

Elevation radar is the worst addition to the game, I could handle radar at times in the past games, but to COMPLETELY remove the element of wondering where your opponent might be is mind numbingly dumb.
Completely agreed, I loved the suspense of not knowing if someone was below, above, or right behind you.

Striker

PsychoRaven said:
OK I have a question. Why is this a big deal? I honestly don't wee why. If it's a regular mode everyone can use a jetpack. Then if it's not they had to get up there somehow by climing on structure or something. Could your team not do the same?

I am honestly wondering because I've actually not seen many get up there the few times I have gotten the map. The few times they have jetpackers have taken them down right away.
Because not everybody likes using the jetpack, or at least on a small, symmetrical map. It should be closed off. Reminds me of The Pit's housing, but difference is they put spawns there. Preferably it would be blocked off, and I'm sure that'd be an easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom