• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Lazslo said:
Sad thing is, these days I really enjoy AR/Pistol starts on any map. I almost prefer it over DMR starts, It's the perfect mix of a short range weapon mixed with a short/mid range weapon. Thank you Sage.
It's not sad, as it's a viable combo on nearly every map. The pistol is wonderful.

Even though the whole 15 day time discrepancy thing between Earth and Reach, it still doesn't make sense and is even more confusing.
August 14/15, Tip of the Spear and the Long Night of Solace make sense, but the rest of the game doesn't, especially The Pillar of Autumn, which, according to Earth military calender, takes place around September 15th, when the book says the Fall of Reach takes place on August 30th military time.

To be fair™, the book isn't without its fault. One glaring fault, and I can't believe I didn't notice this before
the book says the PoA and crew arrived at Halo around August 30th, military time, when the events on Halo take place around September 21st/22nd.
But I guess that's a minor oversight.

God, I shoud've taken my xbox home with me. I wanna play the campaign and multiplayer so much.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm not one to complain about playlists or matchmaking really, but it is INSANE that:

a) So little NORMAL SLAYER gets played in Team Slayer. Pro, SWAT, Classic, Snipers... WTF. Out of my last ten Slayer games, only four have been normal Slayer. I checked. It doesn't even come up for voting half the time. First round of voting is Pro, Classic, and SWAT. After none the above is voted, we get Elite Slayer, etc. Still no normal slayer -_-

b) That there isn't a proper Lone Wolves / Rumble Pit division. I like Infection and I like Race. But these modes have made it IMPOSSIBLE to play a proper game of FFA slayer.

Here's the craziest thing - Bungie already had this one right in previous Halo games. So it's not as if they made a change that didn't work out. They took something that worked great, changed it, and fucked it up :lol

Just have Rumble Pit with crazy gametypes, and Rumble Slayer. Problem fucking solved.

The game has 200K - 500K concurrent users, and 2-3M users daily. I don't think a playlist being under populated is going to be a problem. I don't see why Bungie has an aversion to many more playlists. If they had ~2X the playlists from day one everyone would be much happier.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just ran into 3 of the worst (trash talking-wise) Halo players I have ever played against, right when the lobby showed up they started calling the 3 of us the F-words, etc.

They proceeded to teabag and throw racist terms around the entire match, and then berate us again after. It;s times like this that I wish a Bungie person would be listening in and ban them for life.

Sanjuro

The booting fix can't come soon enough. All these asshole kids without bedtimes booting you at the last moments of a game from an exploding vehicle or rocket is getting pretty darn annoying.

Anyone come across the issue in infection where if you kill a zombie as it kills you it counts as a betrayal? Seems kinda broken and stupid to me and losing a point because of a bug is pretty lame.

Edit: And infection on Zealot is just plain broken, the survivors just get to the space section and it's game over.

GDJustin said:
I'm not one to complain about playlists or matchmaking really, but it is INSANE that:

a) So little NORMAL SLAYER gets played in Team Slayer. Pro, SWAT, Classic, Snipers... WTF. Out of my last ten Slayer games, only four have been normal Slayer. I checked. It doesn't even come up for voting half the time. First round of voting is Pro, Classic, and SWAT. After none the above is voted, we get Elite Slayer, etc. Still no normal slayer -_-

b) That there isn't a proper Lone Wolves / Rumble Pit division. I like Infection and I like Race. But these modes have made it IMPOSSIBLE to play a proper game of FFA slayer.

Here's the craziest thing - Bungie already had this one right in previous Halo games. So it's not as if they made a change that didn't work out. They took something that worked great, changed it, and fucked it up :lol

Just have Rumble Pit with crazy gametypes, and Rumble Slayer. Problem fucking solved.

The game has 200K - 500K concurrent users, and 2-3M users daily. I don't think a playlist being under populated is going to be a problem. I don't see why Bungie has an aversion to many more playlists. If they had ~2X the playlists from day one everyone would be much happier.
Sounds good. To be honest I don't even understand why we need playlists. Why can't we just pick from a mode in a menu?

Kuroyume

Banned
Normal Slayer is the worst. The only thing I like about it is that the other armor stuff is used. I would like to see DMR starts, no radar, plus all the armor stuff excluding invis. Anyway, while the pistol is still better than the crap that showed up in Halo 3 they ruined it from the beta. Buffing up the AR and slowing down the rate of the fire and it's damage (if I'm not mistaken) has made it less useful.

Anyway... Can we get Invasion Slayer as its own playlist? Regular Invasion gets picked 8 out of 10 times and it's so annoying. I like objective games and I like objective Invasion but when it's picked so often it just sucks, especially if you get a string of games where you lose a bunch of teammates or get bunched with a group of idiots or clueless players. Invasion Slayer is so good too...

zumphry

Banned
Gui_PT said:
Gaffers leaving their teammates. For shame! For shaaaame!

Eff you, that game sucked. Was surprised when Sai left before I did he didn't get banned.

Neuromancer said:
You may now all address me as Captain Neuromancer.

Captain.

Never again will I grind for a rank in a video gam-

19.png

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
AGH.

Bungie please, please, please take out the back half of Spire when it is a slayer, CTF, or Territories game!

It is so frustrating to have 1 point left you are defending for the win in territories and it starts spawning your team at the very back of the map (where you start as a spartan for Invasion).

Ghaleon said:
It's not sad, as it's a viable combo on nearly every map. The pistol is wonderful.
Decided to actually try some arena for the new season and see where I end up (expecting Iron (I think that's right) like I was in the beta, but trying to get daily rating above 1500 but I just generally suck.
With the pistol last night I was successfully able to take down a person with the sword on reflection before they managed to get to me which surprised me as I wasn't expecting it to be so good at such a close range but it worked :D.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
GDJustin said:

Agreed. Hopefully this is part of what they mean when they said "and more love spread out over all of our offerings, with a strong focus on Rumble Pit" in the weekly update (and I guess that would happen within the next few weeks). I like to play a fair amount of FFA because I play a lot better on smaller maps — and while I like Infection, it comes up far, far too often.

Score attack I came into the last wave and it was a bunch of Elites, so I killed one without a sword. "FIVE ENEMIES REMAINING" it says.

I gave up after that. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Deadly Cyclone said:
Just ran into 3 of the worst (trash talking-wise) Halo players I have ever played against, right when the lobby showed up they started calling the 3 of us the F-words, etc.

They proceeded to teabag and throw racist terms around the entire match, and then berate us again after. It;s times like this that I wish a Bungie person would be listening in and ban them for life.

As soon as there is a PEEP from anyone that sounds stupid, annoying, or offensive I mute them. Knowing there is a mute ban motivates me to do so.

Smokey

GDJustin said:

YeaH the RB issue is driving me crazy. I don't understand why they took out Lone Wolves from H3. Not everybody wants to play ranked TS all the time and have to worry about another fuckwit every 2 seconds. I only want to worry about me sometimes. Others in rumble pit are getting tired of this Infection/Safe Havens every match BS too.

They need to separate RB slayer and RB non slayer into 2 different lists. As it is now king of the hill, oddball, headhunter don't even get played in RB. Since launch I've yet to play any of those gametypes in RB. It's always lame ass Infection.

/rant

Stabby McSter said:
Score attack I came into the last wave and it was a bunch of Elites, so I killed one without a sword. "FIVE ENEMIES REMAINING" it says.

I gave up after that. :lol
Well it's 5 enemies cumulative, can be over the course of a few games. It's still a pain in the ass though.

GhaleonEB said:

I love normal starts. I finally realized why I prefer AR/Pistol starts is because I can't work any close range magic in SWAT/DMR/Pro matches. People just sit in that mid range area duking it out over who has the better DMR skills, and I hate it. I got hammered so bad earlier against a group of Sniper camping, shotgun rushing, DMR range shooting guys on Asylum. I don't even KNOW how they got on top of the Sniper spawn, but DAMN was it ever annoying as hell.

AR/Pistol 4 Life.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Smokey said:
They need to separate RB slayer and RB non slayer into 2 different lists. As it is now king of the hill, oddball, headhunter don't even get played in RB. Since launch I've yet to play any of those gametypes in RB. It's always lame ass Infection.
Yeah, I still haven't played KotH or Oddball. Every time either has come up in the lobby, I've been the only person to vote for them. Headhunter, on the other hand, I've played a couple of times, and I sort of think it's too chaotic in FFA. On small maps, with everyone gunning for everyone else, it's almost impossible to hold onto skulls until you can cash them in. Still kind of fun, though.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Fuck Katanarama, that shit is like impossible. 3rd challenge ever I won't complete. I'd try in regular Firefight but I know a thousand other people will probably be fighting over the sword so screw that.

Schmitty

NameGenerated said:
Fuck Katanarama, that shit is like impossible. 3rd challenge ever I won't complete. I'd try in regular Firefight but I know a thousand other people will probably be fighting over the sword so screw that.
Do score attack.

NameGenerated said:

Yeah, first game of the night I play with a friend, the other two people leave and ONE Elite with a sword comes out. There were exactly 10 enemies left after killing the one with the sword. I got 5, he got 5. :lol

th3dude

So I bought Bungie pro. Would like to render the occasional video and whatnot.

Had a sweet shot of a guy flying through the air in a Team Snipers game so I figured I'd render it. Went into theater and chopped out the 10 seconds that I wanted to render, uploaded it to my share and went to render.

I then learned that a 10 second clip in HD would cost me my entire 5 render minute allowance for the month? WTF is up with that? Did I do something wrong or do they really just discourage rendering?

Sibylus

Banned
Photolysis said:
I love Marty's music myself and think he is a very talented composer, but there are so many times I end up wishing for an option to make the dialogue louder.
I agree completely. There's no good reason to leave those options out, especially when some players are straining to hear important lines over the din in the background (Such as myself). You can compromise on this issue.

feel

It's so frustrating to get progressively worse at the game with each passing day. At this point my brain just shuts down when a game starts and it becomes really hard for me to get a kill.

sigh...

I hope for 343's first Halo game, they add in a skull that removes the limiters on friendly AI so they can do work on the Covenant. It's not like the Marine AI is always bad; kill enough Marines for the survivors to take you out, and they turn you into Spartan cheese before you can blink. It'd be awesome to be able to just sit back and watch the Covenant and ODST's duke it out, and have it actually be an even fight.

As a side note, is it just me, or is Auntie Dot's Firefight voice mixed really low? All I can hear is *mumble mumble mumble*

Lazslo

Whenever I'm bored I sometimes go back to Old Bungie.net and read some old tales. Tonight I read this rant by Bungie's old fearless leader Alex Seropian. Give it a read it's pretty interesting and gives some insight into the way things use to be for Bungie.

Sibylus

Banned
watership said:
I was talking to a few friends at lunch today about the game. I told them one of my favourite parts of the campaign, and no one knew what I was talking about.

During the Alexandria mission and after you clear the hospital, you get into your falcon and a Covenant carrier swoops in over the city then fires it's main cannon and glasses half of it. It's a holy shit moment for me.

I got blank stares from everyone at the table. They seriously didn't know what I was talking about.

This is something that's driven me mad about Halo games and the people who play them. In the recent Weekend Confirmed, there was a discussion about how some people believe that Halo has a weak story and all the detail comes from extended media. Brian Leahy shot back that it comes down to the fact that most people don't pay attention to the detail that Bungie applies to it's Halo games. Basically, You're having so much fun that you don't notice the little things. This i get for terminals in Halo 3.
But NOT for a Starship that is glassing the city your flying it.
Sheesh.
I didn't see this either, a playthrough on Youtube was when I first noticed it. The real problem is that there's nothing much to draw your gaze to the area, it's easy to miss entirely because your focus hasn't been guided. The player can't be faulted for not looking at the correct sliver of sky at the perfect moment.

Sai-kun

Banned
sn1pes said:
So I bought Bungie pro. Would like to render the occasional video and whatnot.

Had a sweet shot of a guy flying through the air in a Team Snipers game so I figured I'd render it. Went into theater and chopped out the 10 seconds that I wanted to render, uploaded it to my share and went to render.

I then learned that a 10 second clip in HD would cost me my entire 5 render minute allowance for the month? WTF is up with that? Did I do something wrong or do they really just discourage rendering?

00:01-01:00 = 1 render point in SD, 5 in HD.

Kapura

Banned
Botolf said:
I didn't see this either, a playthrough on Youtube was when I first noticed it. The real problem is that there's nothing much to draw your gaze to the area, it's easy to miss entirely because your focus hasn't been guided. The player can't be faulted for not looking at the correct sliver of sky at the perfect moment.
Regarding not looking at the right time, I missed
the destruction of the UNSC Savannah
on my first playthough of LNoS. In my defence, I was fighting a silvered ultra and he was whipping my ass, but I didn't know about it until the legendary commentary :eek: Not to say I didn't hear them talking about it, but I thought it was just dialogue and the event happened had off-screen.

Sibylus

Banned
Kapura said:
Regarding not looking at the right time, I missed
the destruction of the UNSC Savannah
on my first playthough of LNoS. In my defence, I was fighting a silvered ultra and he was whipping my ass, but I didn't know about it until the legendary commentary :eek: Not to say I didn't hear them talking about it, but I thought it was just dialogue and the event happened had off-screen.
I thought that that was one of the better "look here" implementations, actually. Long Night of Solace spoilers:
The window draws your attention really well, and you can see clearly what's happening to the Savannah. Much better than a similar scene in Halo 2, when a nearby MAC platform is destroyed by a Covenant bomb in Halo 2. I'll bet only a tiny percentage of players actually saw the platform blow up.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
SpacLock said:
Just ran into a hacker 2 games in a row. He was fucking moon jumping all over the map at blazing speeds while shooting his automatic DMR. The funny thing is that I avoided him and reported him after the first game, only to run into him immediately afterward. Shows how much that whole system works.

Here's his GT for the Bungie people that visit the forum.
Looks like he's been handled. The banhammer is stronger and swifter than ever before. Often it hits before these kid's moms can bring them their chocolate milk.

Dani said:
Valhalla > Hemorrage

You know, I was ecstatic when I found out that they were bringing back Blood Gulch. It is my favorite all time map in any Halo and I thought it was gonna be like old times! But honestly I agree with this post.

Alienshogun said:
As soon as there is a PEEP from anyone that sounds stupid, annoying, or offensive I mute them. Knowing there is a mute ban motivates me to do so.

Yeah I don't play around with that either, I usually mute anyone who starts talking in the pre-game lobby.

Dax01 said:
Even though the whole 15 day time discrepancy thing between Earth and Reach, it still doesn't make sense and is even more confusing.
August 14/15, Tip of the Spear and the Long Night of Solace make sense, but the rest of the game doesn't, especially The Pillar of Autumn, which, according to Earth military calender, takes place around September 15th, when the book says the Fall of Reach takes place on August 30th military time.

To be fair™, the book isn't without its fault. One glaring fault, and I can't believe I didn't notice this before
the book says the PoA and crew arrived at Halo around August 30th, military time, when the events on Halo take place around September 21st/22nd.
But I guess that's a minor oversight.
That and the book being 10 years off (2542 instead of 2552). The most baffling part is that it wasn't corrected in the recent release. Was there ever an official explanation about this?

vatstep

Holy shit, finally got to try the Revenant. This thing is awesome. :lol

After some serious issues with Sony Vegas, I finally managed to render a montage of my launch of Reach 'Fest'. It's not perfect, and despite asking it to render in 16:9, it's done it in 4:3, but for the moment, it's the best I can do. I'm working on getting a Higher-Res Widescreen version rendered, but I've got to setup a dual-boot on my machine, as Vegas doesn't like any OS other than XP, and I'm fed up with the constant crashes.

Anyway, this is my first semi-serious montage, so any comments or suggestions for improvements are welcome. The gameplay featured is captured from 72 hours of gameplay (maybe more) from myself and 3 other players.

Enjoy!

The Dream Team!

G_Berry

Banned
Sikamikanico said:
After some serious issues with Sony Vegas, I finally managed to render a montage of my launch of Reach 'Fest'. It's not perfect, and despite asking it to render in 16:9, it's done it in 4:3, but for the moment, it's the best I can do. I'm working on getting a Higher-Res Widescreen version rendered, but I've got to setup a dual-boot on my machine, as Vegas doesn't like any OS other than XP, and I'm fed up with the constant crashes.

Anyway, this is my first semi-serious montage, so any comments or suggestions for improvements are welcome. The gameplay featured is captured from 72 hours of gameplay (maybe more) from myself and 3 plays.

Enjoy!

The Dream Team!
lol

big ander

Sikamikanico said:

Anyway, this is my first semi-serious montage, so any comments or suggestions for improvements are welcome. The gameplay featured is captured from 72 hours of gameplay (maybe more) from myself and 3 other players.

Enjoy!

The Dream Team!
You played for 72 hours straight? I commend you.
Good montage.

subrock

Lazslo said:
Sad thing is, these days I really enjoy AR/Pistol starts on any map. I almost prefer it over DMR starts, It's the perfect mix of a short range weapon mixed with a short/mid range weapon. Thank you Sage.
I love AR starts on Paradiso because it seems I am the only one to ever figure out that you can cross map with the pistol if you fire slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom