• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dani said:
Valhalla > Hemorrage

Bring it back!

In the meantime...

vallea.jpg

If you can somehow replicate the big hill in the middle I want that map!

jambo

3/5 challenges finished and I've already gotten 11/30 assists after 2-3 hours of play tonight.

This week or Firefight should be fun!!!!

TommyT

Buckethead said:
So what's this about people getting banned for the credit exploit on Sword Base?

I just got to Captain and cheesy as it sounds might do some of this to get up a couple levels,
I don't have the desire/patience to go all the way up to Lt. Colonel just for a dumb achievement.

Was answered briefly before... but this is from the site:

Example 1: Laziness is Next to Godliness
You’ve commissioned your little brother to play through the same section of ONI: Sword Base over and over again, wielding the Target Locator like a barbarian’s cudgel in a quest to hit your daily credit cap without ever having to lay a finger on the controller.

This is a little bit sad, but it is not an offense we’re going to punish. *You* are playing the game. Keep your credits (but please go easy on your little brother).

Specters get assists like fucking crazy. That propipe doesn't kill for a damn on Heroic. Seriously its so underpowered you can direct nail grunts and they don't die. Really awful shit.

bobs99 ... said:
When your offline you need less credits to rank up. So when you signed in offline the game adjusted your rank to meet the offline ranking system. So Bungie isnt quite being nice to people who hit the cap.

This happened to a friend of mine but I cant reproduce it - what armours can you see? :D

Also 50 rounds of firefight matchmaking for 3000 credits. eurgh.

Nope, the credit requirements for ranks are the same offline, just credits are earned much faster as you don't have challenges.

That also only applies to offline profiles, and once a profile has been flagged as online, it's impossible to reverse this. Bungie are encouraging people who might play for the weekend to create new gamertags to avoid permanently gimping their credits offline for that reason (which again is another indicator of how badly the system is designed).

What appears to be happening is the game keeps track of the number of credits you've earned, but once you sign in to XBL, Bungie tell the game "Hey the rank cap is Lt Colonel" and so the game immediately adjusts the rank back down.

I didn't notice any new helmets, but you can see the Tactical Soft Case, Carter's Commando chest. Grenadier shoulder pads and the extra wrist attachment that has shotgun shells on.

If anyone else wants to see their "true rank" using this, here's how to reproduce it:

1. Go to the 360 Dashboard and sign in to your profile. If you connect to XBL automatically at this point, disconnect somehow, either by pulling the cable out, or turning off your router, or whatever. You should be offline when you load Reach up.

2. Start Reach

3. View your rank with no rank cap! (Your rank will be capped again the moment you sign in to Live. I have no idea what would happen if you unlocked any armor using this... I don't want to try either)

xxjuicesxx said:
Specters get assists like fucking crazy. That propipe doesn't kill for a damn on Heroic. Seriously its so underpowered you can direct nail grunts and they don't die. Really awful shit.

Haha yeah, the 'Tip of the Spear' mission which starts you with a pro-pipe left me speechless it was aweful.

That said, I prefer the thing being bad rather than good. Noob Tubes have been overpowered to the state of being cheap frustrating deaths in CoD/ Bioshock/ Reach beta/ any other game that has them. So its nice to see its not so cheap in the full retail.

Photolysis said:
Nope, the credit requirements for ranks are the same offline, just credits are earned much faster as you don't have challenges.

That also only applies to offline profiles, and once a profile has been flagged as online, it's impossible to reverse this. Bungie are encouraging people who might play for the weekend to create new gamertags to avoid permanently gimping their credits offline for that reason (which again is another indicator of how badly the system is designed).

What appears to be happening is the game keeps track of the number of credits you've earned, but once you sign in to XBL, Bungie tell the game "Hey the rank cap is Lt Colonel" and so the game immediately adjusts the rank back down.

I didn't notice any new helmets, but you can see the Tactical Soft Case, Carter's Commando chest. Grenadier shoulder pads and the extra wrist attachment that has shotgun shells on.

If anyone else wants to see their "true rank" using this, here's how to reproduce it:

1. Go to the 360 Dashboard and sign in to your profile. If you connect to XBL automatically at this point, disconnect somehow, either by pulling the cable out, or turning off your router, or whatever. You should be offline when you load Reach up.

2. Start Reach

3. View your rank with no rank cap! (Your rank will be capped again the moment you sign in to Live. I have no idea what would happen if you unlocked any armor using this... I don't want to try either)

I havent hit the max rank cap yet so I cant reproduce it - but that makes sense, The real question is, if the game is able to track what our 'true rank' should be. When the rank cap is lifted will we automatically boost up negating the point of the rank cap? Or will we lose all that progress?

bobs99 ... said:
I havent hit the max rank cap yet so I cant reproduce it - but that makes sense, The real question is, if the game is able to track what our 'true rank' should be. When the rank cap is lifted will we automatically boost up negating the point of the rank cap? Or will we lose all that progress?

The implication from this seems to be that it does roll over and so players who hit it early will get a massive rank boost. Which as you point out, negates the entire purpose of the cap.

IronRinn

Neuromancer said:
You may now all address me as Captain Neuromancer.

Congrats, man. I've still got 10-11K to go on WO Gr3. Farmed ONI for all it's worth and I just noticed this little nugget in the Weekly Update for 10/1:

"Score Attack
Credit earn rates for Gruntpocalypse are being reduced to fall more in line with other modes."

Better get on it while there's still time left I guess. :lol

IronRinn said:
Congrats, man. I've still got 10-11K to go on WO Gr3. Farmed ONI for all it's worth and I just noticed this little nugget in the Weekly Update for 10/1:

"Score Attack
Credit earn rates for Gruntpocalypse are being reduced to fall more in line with other modes."

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Still. It's a good mode to quickly get those firefight challenges out of the way.

DoctorWho said:
NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Still. It's a good mode to quickly get those firefight challenges out of the way.

I play it because I find it fun, theres nothing better than wiping out an army of grunts. Then again I dont play Firefight as much as matchmaking so the credits payout doesnt really affect me to much.

But Bungie, why not increase the credits earned in the other modes to match Gruntpocalypse rather than the other way round? :D

EDIT: Wow, just noticed that one of my clips is on the most recommended list. Thats pretty cool. The fact that its not on the most downloaded list sort of negates that, but meh. :lol

Chorazin

Man, I'm glad the weekly challenge gives me a great excuse to play Score Attack as I struggle through Warrant Officer G3. Only around 19k to go!

Shoogoo

Chorazin said:
Man, I'm glad the weekly challenge gives me a great excuse to play Score Attack as I struggle through Warrant Officer G3. Only around 19k to go!

Score attacks counts toward the weekly challenge?

Chorazin said:
Just a heads-up - score attack credits are going to be nerfed tomorrow (Gruntpocalypse only)

edit: beaten

Jrmint

IronRinn said:

Damn that sucks. This won't go through until the actual title update though right? It's not like they can hotfix it immediately I hope.

Glad I'm not the only one struggling through WO Grade 3, it is a slog! Currently 37k/66k

bobs99 ... said:
I play it because I find it fun, theres nothing better than wiping out an army of grunts. Then again I dont play Firefight as much as matchmaking so the credits payout doesnt really affect me to much.

But Bungie, why not increase the credits earned in the other modes to match Gruntpocalypse rather than the other way round? :D

EDIT: Wow, just noticed that one of my clips is on the most recommended list. Thats pretty cool. The fact that its not on the most downloaded list sort of negates that, but meh. :lol
Truer words have never been spoken.

Photolysis said:
The implication from this seems to be that it does roll over and so players who hit it early will get a massive rank boost. Which as you point out, negates the entire purpose of the cap.

I don't really think you can make any implication from how timed credit rollovers match up with online->offline transitions and how they handle the caps. That's a different mechanism than how caps will be lifted through matchmaking, there could easily be a check against server values before setting the value of credits for ranking that can't happen when you are switch to local.

jump_to_conclusions.jpg

Skel said:
Damn that sucks. This won't go through until the actual title update though right? It's not like they can hotfix it immediately I hope.

Glad I'm not the only one struggling through WO Grade 3, it is a slog! Currently 37k/66k

A lot of that credit gathering stuff comes from b.net, so yea, they can totally hotfix it.

Chorazin

The Lamonster said:
Just a heads-up - score attack credits are going to be nerfed tomorrow (Gruntpocalypse only)

edit: beaten

Yeah, I know, but it'll still give me the cR I need to get out of this WOG3 hellhole.

My GF is away tonight so I might just farm the fuck out of Gruntpocalypse all night, I just want to be Captain, dammit!

Jrmint

Chorazin said:
I just want to be Captain, dammit!
Same.

Is there any sweet armory unlocks that show up when you hit Captain? I know Jorge's (or is it Jun I always forget?) chest armor shows up, but that thing is fugly.

Anything else?

IronRinn

Skel said:

See electricpirate's post but yeah, even if they couldn't the update still specifies tomorrow as the day they are going to implement the changes.

Heh, believe me, your pain is felt. Looking through this thread and the last I think one things GAF seems to agree on is that Warrant Officer is the worst thing.

Chorazin

Skel said:
Same.

Is there any sweet armory unlocks that show up when you hit Captain? I know Jorge's (or is it Jun I always forget?) chest armor shows up, but that thing is fugly.

Anything else?

Don't the ODST shoulders unlock at Captain? I hope they do!

Captain is nice simply because rank progression is so much quicker. I still want to know why Bungie made WO such a bitch to rank up from.

IronRinn said:
See electricpirate's post but yeah, even if they couldn't the update still specifies tomorrow as the day they are going to implement the changes.

Heh, believe me, your pain is felt. Looking through this thread and the last I think one things GAF seems to agree on is that Warrant Officer is the worst thing.
I think the real problem is the rate at which we earn credits. Looking at the top rank, you need 20 million to get there.

In order to reach that, you need to make 20k credits a day for about 3 years.

Chorazin

The Lamonster said:
I think the real problem is the rate at which we earn credits. Looking at the top rank, you need 20 million to get there.

In order to reach that, you need to make 20k credits a day for about 3 years.

I have a feeling they will gradually increase the amount of cR we gain. It'll make it easier for newbies to rank up and for oldbies to hit the highest levels.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
had a blast playing firefight yesterday with 1 friend (who isn't that great and charges at people when his shields are down) and we got all out at 49000 and 49500 points 2 times running.

Goodbye achievement.

how in the fuuu can anyone get the million point achieve on that?! I need to play this with 4 people. I assume firefight classic is the only way to do this right?

catfish said:
had a blast playing firefight yesterday with 1 friend (who isn't that great and charges at people when his shields are down) and we got all out at 49000 and 49500 points 2 times running.

Goodbye achievement.

how in the fuuu can anyone get the million point achieve on that?! I need to play this with 4 people. I assume firefight classic is the only way to do this right?
This achievement doesn't have to be completed in matchmaking. You can download a custom gametype that nets you a million points in about 10 minutes. It's hectic and crazy but you're invincible so some might not find that fun or consider it "cheap." Just browse the most downloaded files for game types and you'll find it. Then set it on Corvette on Legendary and blast away.

catfish said:

Goodbye achievement.

You can always use a custom created map to get these achievements. I don't know anyone who has done it without using one.

Falt

Warrant Officer Grade 3 - 11815 of 66000

Just got WOG3 yesterday, coupled with some horrific games (averaging 400-500 cR) I'm looking forward to the FF challenge this week!

I am also in the WOg3 slump and won't have much time tonight to play Gruntpocalypse :(

I wish Bungie would do something, I'm really tired of not being able to buy the visor color I want, and I don't want to wait a year to get it.

-PXG-

What is with people's obsession with the God damn sniper rifle. Snipers, BTB Snipers, Sniperfight. Jesus Christ!!!

IronRinn said:
Looking at Reach achievements on Giant Bomb I noticed this video showing how to get the "Make It Rain" achievement without having to reach to rank of Lt. Colonel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARsX_tJwc5U

Edit: Appears to be a glitch and, while I don't think it would get you banned, may be kind of risky.
YT is blocked here at my work. Is this the method of going offline from XBL? Anyone feel like explaining? And what exactly is risky about it?

IronRinn

The Lamonster said:
YT is blocked here at my work. Is this the method of going offline from XBL? Anyone feel like explaining? And what exactly is risky about it?

Get 50K cR. Go to Visors. Click on the Blue Visor. Instead of hitting A to select "Yes" hit A and down. The message will disappear, you will have selected the Black visor and the game will think you purchased it. You don't lose any credits but you don't actually purchase anything either.

The Lamonster said:
Nothing risky, you select the blue visor when you have 50000 credits then when you get the confirmation screen with yes or no you must press down and a almost at the same time, and it unlocks the achievements. Seems to register the black visor under that, although you don´t buy it and it doesn´t subtract credits.

IronRinn said:
Get 50K cR. Go to Visors. Click on the Blue Visor. Instead of hitting A to select "Yes" hit A and down. The message will disappear, you will have selected the Black visor and the game will think you purchased it. You don't lose any credits but you don't actually purchase anything either.
Thanks. That is dumb. I'll wait for the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom