• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thermite said:
30 assists....in Firefight!?
:lol I have played a total of 6 Hours and 10 Minutes of Firefight since the game came out. In that time I have earned Twenty Five Assists.

Good luck to everyone who tries for it today.

TommyT

Devin Olsen said:
:lol I have played a total of 6 Hours and 10 Minutes of Firefight since the game came out. In that time I have earned Twenty Five Assists.

I have a feeling you need to play with people to specifically get this. "Hai yous guys... I'm gonna shoot EVERYTHING!!!!!!! Follow me and kill what I shoot k? I promise I will do it for you!"

Just an example of how fucked up the Assists are in this game:

My friend and I are in Team Doubles. He four shots a guy, but can't get the last hit. We are communicating and I go in for the kill. 5 Seconds has passed, the guys shields are just recharging. I two shot the guy and kill him. I couldn't have killed this guy without help from my buddy. Of course he doesn't get an assist. He was robbed. Fix your shit Bungle, etc.

In all seriousness, Bungie is doing a great job. Banning all those kids was gold. (I even had a great friend reset and I told him he got what he deserved.) Anyway, keep up the great work Bungie. I'm anticipating the October 'update' and REALLY anticipating the announcement of Assist revision.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Weekly challenge looks great this week, but the dailies are kind of weak. 300/600 point challenges aren't even really worth it when you can just go play matchmaking and get twice that.

Devin Olsen said:

Fuck my life.

Not even going to bother with this one.

The others seem reasonable though.

Miggytronz

Church RvB said:
Just an example of how fucked up the Assists are in this game:

My friend and I are in Team Doubles. He four shots a guy, but can't get the last hit. We are communicating and I go in for the kill. 5 Seconds has passed, the guys shields are just recharging. I two shot the guy and kill him. I couldn't have killed this guy without help from my buddy. Of course he doesn't get an assist. He was robbed. Fix your shit Bungle, etc.

In all seriousness, Bungie is doing a great job. Banning all those kids was gold. (I even had a great friend reset and I told him he got what he deserved.) Anyway, keep up the great work Bungie. I'm anticipating the October 'update' and REALLY anticipating the announcement of Assist revision.

I think once the shield are in recharge effect Assist no longer exist.

Zomba13

KevinRo said:
Nerfing gruntpocalypse really wont stop the farming, people will just do snipeattack and pick up another weapon only to have unlimited ammo to kill them all with that.
When I found out I got infinite ammo with every weapon I killed a grunt, took his fuel rod cannon and owned stuff. I bet that's the next firefight mode to get nerfed :(

Kapura

Banned
Lots of modes have unlimited ammo. Crash site, which nobody but me seems to ever have attempted, is pretty fun as well as challenging. Infinite ammo, single overshield, 1generator defence, 0 extra lives. Pretty sweet.

Mikasangelos said:

That's the point. My buddy CLEARLY assisted me with the kill, but the game doesn't consider it an assist because it is broken as hell. Assists were great in the Beta. Like I said, I'm waiting for Bungie to announce a revision of the fucked up Assists. Their 40% bullshit in the update doesn;t count either. By the way. 40% of 5... is 2! If you can kill someone in 5 hits and you shoot them twice that 40%! (assuming they die in 5 hits of course.)

Kapura said:
Lots of modes have unlimited ammo. Crash site, which nobody but me seems to ever have attempted, is pretty fun as well as challenging. Infinite ammo, single overshield, 1generator defence, 0 extra lives. Pretty sweet.

Love Crashsite. Way more fun than Gruntpocolypse.

Hugbot

Mikasangelos said:
IIRC, it's 5 full seconds from last damage dealt and you have to do a certain amount of damage for it to count; the recharge itself has nothing to do with it.

Also,
By the way. 40% of 5... is 2! If you can kill someone in 5 hits and you shoot them twice that 40%! (assuming they die in 5 hits of course.)
Is not quite right if you add numbers for health+shields. Two shots in the shield is not 40% of the total, the only reason the fifth shot kills is because it is a headshot and ignores the total health %.

Devin Olsen said:

Played 12 games of Firefight yesterday, with a total of 10 assists. Even if I could play all day, I'd never get that challenge. It should be way more points than it's currently worth, because I'm not even going to bother with it.

LukeSmith

The Lamonster said:
I think the real problem is the rate at which we earn credits. Looking at the top rank, you need 20 million to get there.

In order to reach that, you need to make 20k credits a day for about 3 years.

Actually, as you level up more in Reach, you'll notice your Credits earned for time from each game will increase because we're gently scaling up the amount of Credits you earn from completing games based on your military rank.

Which isn't to say that reaching the highest rank in the game won't be a grind - it will take a while - but not 3 years at 20k a day.

Hugbot said:
IIRC, it's 5 full seconds from last damage dealt and you have to do a certain amount of damage for it to count; the recharge itself has nothing to do with it.

Also,

Is not quite right if you add numbers for health+shields. Two shots in the shield is not 40% of the total, the only reason the fifth shot kills is because it is a headshot and ignores the total health %.

The game should know that if I hit 2 shots, and the enemy died in 5 total, that I did 40%. Is that too much to ask?

They should let you play with other people in your party in score attack.

LukeSmith said:
Actually, as you level up more in Reach, you'll notice your Credits earned for time from each game will increase because we're gently scaling up the amount of Credits you earn from completing games based on your military rank.

Which isn't to say that reaching the highest rank in the game won't be a grind - it will take a while - but not 3 years at 20k a day.
I didn't notice but that's kind of awesome. Does this cut across all modes?

All my Network Status info is still on undetected except for NAT. Anyone knows what the reason can be? They should have enough information by now.

Hugbot

Church RvB said:
The game should know that if I hit 2 shots, and the enemy died in 5 total, that I did 40%. Is that too much to ask?
Yes. You took 40% of the shots needed to kill him, you did not deal 40% of the damage. The last shot dealt significantly more damage. Unless they change the method by which it determines assists, it will be based on %damage even after the reworking.

Invasion on Boneyard is becoming increasingly one-sided.

Humans almost always win first round if both teams are skilled and communicating. It's almost boring now...

Playing as an elite can pretty much guarantee a negative k/d ratio, and you make that up when you play as a human...

LosDaddie

Banned
Dax01 said:
Unless the challenge otherwise specifies, you can do any challenge with a friend.

So, sorry to harp on this, but do you mean that I need at least one friend with me to complete these challenges? (yes, I know I need one for the assist challenge)

cwmartin

LosDaddie said:
So, sorry to harp on this, but do you mean that I need at least one friend with me to complete these challenges? (yes, I know I need one for the assist challenge)

Just make sure your in Matchmaking. Score Attack (solo), Firefight (bring friends!)

JB1981 said:
Also Halo 3 had better lighting ....
No. Not at all.
LosDaddie said:
I meant that you can use a friend to help make a challenge easier to get. So, if you want to bring a friend along with you into Firefight to help you get assists, that's okay. If a challenge says you have to do something alone, then you have to do it alone. If it doesn't specify then that means you can do it with a friend. You can still do it by yourself if that's what you prefer.
A more simplified answer:
cwmartin said:
Just make sure your in Matchmaking. Score Attack (solo), Firefight (bring friends!)

GhaleonEB

Kapura said:
I tried it once, on Courtyard. I love the concept - defend an objective on your lonesome with infinite ammo - but the placement of the drop ship killed it for me. The Spirit came in right on top of the generator, and its cannons pounded it the entire time. And then all the enemies drop right around the generator. I got the second wave, and the drop ship once again pounded on it, this time nearly finishing it off. I felt helpless.

If the drop ship were on the other side of the courtyard, and not on its lonesome taking ~1/2 the health of the generator, I'd be playing it more often. Defending a location from an advancing hoard sounds like fun; watching it get slammed from above and then enemies rain down on the exact spot I'm defending wasn't. I'm hoping it gets tweaked.

And while I'm wishing, I would do filthy, filthy things for a Legendary Score Attack option that ran for a full Set. I've got the base Score Attack mode down pretty well on all but the maps that I don't enjoy solo (Overlook, Holdout, Waterfront). I look forward to Glacier being folded into the Firefight playlists, hopefully when Campaign gets added for matchmaking.

Hugbot said:
Yes. You took 40% of the shots needed to kill him, you did not deal 40% of the damage. The last shot dealt significantly more damage. Unless they change the method by which it determines assists, it will be based on %damage even after the reworking.

That answer may be correct but its a cop out answer. Tashi has a video on youtube. Two guys each put 2 shots into one guy then the third guy comes in and gets the head shot. Neither of the two original guys get assists and the third guy gets the kill. REAL FAIR. Srs, Bungie needs to admit that the Assists are broken as hell. They tried to explain it in an update and most people still laugh at Assists. Maybe Bungie can't change them, so their just rolling with it. W/e, I'm still gonna play the game, I just HAVE to make sure I hit at least 3 shots for to be awarded.

GhaleonEB said:
I tried it once, on Courtyard. I love the concept - defend an objective on your lonesome with infinite ammo - but the placement of the drop ship killed it for me. The Spirit came in right on top of the generator, and its cannons pounded it the entire time. And then all the enemies drop right around the generator. I got the second wave, and the drop ship once again pounded on it, this time nearly finishing it off. I felt helpless.

If the drop ship were on the other side of the courtyard, and not on its lonesome taking ~1/2 the health of the generator, I'd be playing it more often. Defending a location from an advancing hoard sounds like fun; watching it get slammed from above and then enemies rain down on the exact spot I'm defending wasn't. I'm hoping it gets tweaked.

And while I'm wishing, I would do filthy, filthy things for a Legendary Score Attack option that ran for a full Set. I've got the base Score Attack mode down pretty well on all but the maps that I don't enjoy solo (Overlook, Holdout, Waterfront). I look forward to Glacier being folded into the Firefight playlists, hopefully when Campaign gets added for matchmaking.

I played on Waterfront and this happened every time. Lock that generator. It takes about 2 seconds to cool down. I completed this match with 120 kills, 0 deaths. It can be done. I think you can pull it off.

Prophet Steve said:
All my Network Status info is still on undetected except for NAT. Anyone knows what the reason can be? They should have enough information by now.
Mine was like that too until one magical day it all went green. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As for assists- would it really be that hard to just give an assist any time someone contributes to damaging (or taking down the shields of) an opponent who's then killed by someone else, within a reasonable amount of time?

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Can we please have finites lives instead of infinite for Firefight? There are not enough consequences for making poor choices. I'd love for Firefight to actually feel challenging.

GhaleonEB said:

And while I'm wishing, I would to filthy, filthy things for a Legendary Score Attack option that ran for a full Set.
Hm. I just locked the generator down whenever the drop ships appear (and I do this on all levels). Managed to last through almost all five waves.
Kapura said:
I loooove Crashsite. Need to play more of it. Before I move back to it, though, I am determined to get more than Ghaleon on Score Attack on Corvette.

Church RvB said:
That answer may be correct but its a cop out answer. Tashi has a video on youtube. Two guys each put 2 shots into one guy then the third guy comes in and gets the head shot. Neither of the two original guys get assists and the third guy gets the kill. REAL FAIR. Srs, Bungie needs to admit that the Assists are broken as hell. They tried to explain it in an update and most people still laugh at Assists. Maybe Bungie can't change them, so their just rolling with it. W/e, I'm still gonna play the game, I just HAVE to make sure I hit at least 3 shots for to be awarded.
Actually, that could be right. Health is what, like 25/30%? So the first two did less then 40% damage.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Re: credits - the figure that someone will need to earn 20K credits daily for three years to hit the top rank has been tossed around a ton, but it isn't strictly accurate. But it's not like the math is hard to work out. The actual figure is 18.2K credits per day. 18,264 if you want to be precise.

Some other math I worked out:

I you have been playing Halo: Reach from launch and just hit:

- Captain: You've earned 10,500 cR per day, and it will take you 5.2 years to hit max rank at your current pace.

- Major: You've earned 16,250 cR per day, and it will take you 3.37 years to hit max rank.

- Lt. Colonel: You've earned 22,500 cR per day, and it will take you 2.43 years to hit max rank.

- If there were NO max rank cap, someone hitting the daily credit cap of ~60K every day would still take ~330 days (just under one year) to hit max rank.

~~~

- To be on pace to earn max rank in three years, you should currently be halfway between Major G1 and Major G2.

- On pace for two years: You need to be hitting the max cap of 540K cR (Lt. Colonel G3) right about now.

None of this math is factoring the cR cap, of course. I'm all for the cR cap... I have come out in support of it several times in this topic. But it is a little strange to see such an aggressive cap in place, knowing that the top rank is so, SO far away. Why cap people at 540K cR, when the top rank is nearly 40x that high? Again, I'm *for* the cap, but by capping the hardcore so aggressively, it is making it so that even *fewer* people will ever see the top. Unless the credits truly do roll over when newer ranks are unlocked.

I would rather see Bungie raise the cap by ~375,000cR every week, so that the first set of people can be hitting max rank in a year.

Edit: None of this math takes into account players earning more cR as they rank up, either. It's just showing trends. My *guess* would be Bungie is going to manipulate the cR cap so people first have access to it in a year. But that's speculation.

Oozer3993

GhaleonEB said:

And while I'm wishing, I would to filthy, filthy things for a Legendary Score Attack option that ran for a full Set.

The placement of the generator is randomly decided between the 3 there for vanilla Generator Defense. And Courtyard just doesn't work all that well for Generator Defense anyway. It's a little too small. A couple other Gaffers and I played it on release week on got smoked.

Prophet Steve said:
Actually, that could be right. Health is what, like 25/30%? So the first two did less then 40% damage.

It's still bullshit. I hit the guy in the head for 2 shots, then my teammate hits him in the head for 2 shots, then a third teammate get all body shots, no one gets assists and the person who was least efficient gets the kill/point. It's just dumb. Assists in ODST we're beautiful. w/e, justify it however you want, Assists are harder to get in Reach than they ever have been in any other Halo game, and for no real reason.

Neuromancer said:
Mine was like that too until one magical day it all went green. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As for assists- would it really be that hard to just give an assist any time someone contributes to damaging (or taking down the shields of) an opponent who's then killed by someone else, within a reasonable amount of time?

That's exactly it. If I assist in killing someone, I deserve credit for it.

Edit: Go figure, the one time i don't edit my post to add what I want to say I get a double post.

Hugbot

Church RvB said:
It's still bullshit. I hit the guy in the head for 2 shots, then my teammate hits him in the head for 2 shots, then a third teammate get all body shots, no one gets assists and the person who was least efficient gets the kill/point. It's just dumb. Assists in ODST we're beautiful. w/e, justify it however you want, Assists are harder to get in Reach than they ever have been in any other Halo game, and for no real reason.
Again, unless they completely overhaul the assist system you're just going to see a change in the timing window or overall damage % done. They will not (nor should they) change it to a system based on total # of shots you hit or to account for crazy hypotheticals (my shield-shots were all gonna hit his head).

Church RvB said:
It is for a reason, they count pretty significant in Arena.

GDJustin said:
Re: credits - the figure that someone will need to earn 20K credits daily for three years to hit the top rank has been tossed around a ton, but it isn't strictly accurate. But it's not like the math is hard to work out. The actual figure is 18.2K credits per day. 18,264 if you want to be precise.

Some other math I worked out:

I you have been playing Halo: Reach from launch and just hit:

- Captain: You've earned 10,500 cR per day, and it will take you 5.2 years to hit max rank at your current pace.

- Major: You've earned 16,250 cR per day, and it will take you 3.37 years to hit max rank.

- Lt. Colonel: You've earned 22,500 cR per day, and it will take you 2.43 years to hit max rank.

- If there were NO max rank cap, someone hitting the daily credit cap of ~60K every day would still take ~330 days (just under one year) to hit max rank.

~~~

- To be on pace to earn max rank in three years, you should currently be halfway between Major G1 and Major G2.

- On pace for two years: You need to be hitting the max cap of 540K cR (Lt. Colonel G3) right about now.

None of this math is factoring the cR cap, of course. I'm all for the cR cap... I have come out in support of it several times in this topic. But it is a little strange to see such an aggressive cap in place, knowing that the top rank is so, SO far away. Why cap people at 540K cR, when the top rank is nearly 40x that high? Again, I'm *for* the cap, but by capping the hardcore so aggressively, it is making it so that even *fewer* people will ever see the top. Unless the credits truly do roll over when newer ranks are unlocked.

I would rather see Bungie raise the cap by ~375,000cR every week, so that the first set of people can be hitting max rank in a year.
Maybe you forget it, but you cant reach the max rank and you dont know what Bungie has planned with Halo: Reach. Maybe we will see a double Credits Weekend or the max cap will be lifted. Halo: Reach released three weeks ago and you bother yourself with sth. like this.

cwmartin

The only reason I think an assist timer should ever expire is if the opponents shields completely recharge. Say I shoot someone 4 times, their entire shields recharge, and then someone else kills them, no assist, makes sense to me. But if their shields remained down after i shot them, then someone else killed them, I clearly assisted in that person dying.

GhaleonEB

Church RvB said:
I played on Waterfront and this happened every time. Lock that generator. It takes about 2 seconds to cool down. I completed this match with 120 kills, 0 deaths. It can be done. I think you can pull it off.
Good lord I forgot all about locking the generator. :lol

I think I'll try again. Whoops!

Hugbot said:
Again, unless they completely overhaul the assist system you're just going to see a change in the timing window or overall damage % done. They will not (nor should they) change it to a system based on total # of shots you hit or to account for crazy hypotheticals (my shield-shots were all gonna hit his head).

All I ask is that they bring it back to the glory of the beta or ODST. I think a lot of people agree. If anyone EVER gets a 'Second Gunman' (15 Assists in one life) in any gamemode except for custom, I will personally kneel down, scrub their feet and proceed to rinse them off with my tongue.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
If it is supposed to take 3 years to hit Lt.Colonel then how come there is someone on my friends list that is already this rank?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Any word on when the double (triple?) credit weekends will start up?

Luke, are you guys trying to increase daily challenge point values at all? Getting 600 credits for 30 assists in Firefight, which would take you all day, seems pointless when you can play 1 matchmaking game and get 600cr.

Prophet Steve said:
It is for a reason, they count pretty significant in Arena.

Again, there is the point. The guy who 'stole the kill' gets the point. the two people who did more work get shafted. This obviously doesn't happen all the time, but when it does its an outrage. I'm aware that every shot I shoot at a guy doesn't hit, I try to hit at least 3 shots because I want my assist and my point. But when they guy hides around a corner for ~5 seconds then my partner kills him easily because I FOUR shot the guy, it's total and COMPLETE bullshit that I didn't assist in the kill. srs.

LukeSmith said:

Awesome, thanks for replying man.

LiK

LukeSmith said:

so um, when can i get my hands on that sweet blue flame skull helmet? :)

Magni

^ when you get hired by Bungie

Another stupid thing about assists: Armor Lock (as if I needed another reason to hate it :lol)
Four shot a guy, if he goes into Armor Lock, then goodbye assist. Plain stupid.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Hypertrooper said:
Maybe you forget it, but you cant reach the max rank and you dont know what Bungie has planned with Halo: Reach. Maybe we will see a double Credits Weekend or the max cap will be lifted. Halo: Reach released three weeks ago and you bother yourself with sth. like this.

Dude... I'm sure we're going to see cR weekends and crazy challenges and all the rest.

All I did was a few minutes of calculator math. I just have some bullet points stating that *if* someone earned cR at this consistent pace, this is how long it would take to hit max rank. If someone ups their pace by taking advantage of special cR events, then their timeline will be shortened accordingly.

And as Luke stated, players apparently gradually earn more cR per game as they rank up, as well.

None of that changes the fact that if you earn 60K credits a day, it will take you 333 days to earn 20M total. It's just math.

LunaticPuma said:
Can we please have finites lives instead of infinite for Firefight? There are not enough consequences for making poor choices. I'd love for Firefight to actually feel challenging.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (a BWU or a post here) that FF matchmaking with finite lives and infinite rounds would be available very soon?

TommyT

MagniHarvald said:
^ when you get hired by Bungie

Another stupid thing about assists: Armor Lock (as if I needed another reason to hate it :lol)
Four shot a guy, if he goes into Armor Lock, then goodbye assist. Plain stupid.

lol I like it!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

You know you can lock the generator right? When the dropship arrives, quickly lock it and then get into position for combat. Then in one minute it'll unlock again so you've got to run over and protect it till you can close it again. I'm an average player and I made it to the 4th wave on my first go.

EDIT beaten like a redheaded stepchild.

On another note, I started my solo Legendary run, my first time attempting such an insane feat. It was super hard but very rewarding, although I get the feeling that Tip of the Spear and Long Night of Solace are going to suuuuuuuck :lol

LukeSmith said:

How noticeable is it though?

If I were to play my first game ever on a new account and be rewarded 500cR for the game.

How many credits would I get (as a Captain) for the same game?

Not sure how easy that question is to answer, but any details you have I would appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom