• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthbob

GhaleonEB said:
This. Though I have yet to try out Sniper Attack - that's for tonight's Score Attack romp - I'm impressed they found something more satisfying that head shotting Grunts and Elites. After three subsequent Halo games, those were still the most satisfying thing to do. But nailing a string of headshots on Skirmishers, or whipping around and nailing one of those crazy fast dudes with the energy shield gauntlets so he pops up and flips over, is soooo good.

I'm just glad that they upped the mag. size for the DMR and Needle Rifle.

Wish they kept the old green colored ammo counter on the Deemer though.

GhaleonEB said:
I have Auntie Dot, and I'm not sure I'm going to ever switch. She basically makes periodic comments on what you're doing, though hers are often aimed at the guys I'm shooting: Among the comments, paraphrased:

"Ammunition depleted."

"I have pinpointed the location of the enemy's brain." (after a headshot)

"Scans indicate that you are dead." (after killing someone)

"I advise you seek medical attention." (after killing someone)

"Preparing final ammunition clip" (when loading last clip into the chamber)

"Success outstipped expectation." (seems to be when I get a multi-kill off a grenade throw)

She's got a few dozen comments and drops 2-3 a minute, all in this smoothly accented, droll voice. It's wonderful.

Edit: like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNjYR39nkrQ

For some reason, Dot (and only Dot) is extremely quiet for me. I can hear everyone else's voice fine, but Dot just sounds like indistinct murmuring unless everything else is dead silent.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
StUnNeR H2K said:
If people choose to play Rocketfight then don't go in to melee people... seriously. Some guy ran into melee on a group of Elite's I was fire upon. Didn't get the betrayal cause he was already almost dead, but as soon as he respawns he walks over and shoots me point blank in the face with a rocket. I booted him... but seriously, vote for regular firefight if you want to dance in melee range with the elites.
Friendly fire is being removed from Firefight, so people will be able to play as recklessly as they want too soon. :x

LiK

vatstep said:
Friendly fire is being removed from Firefight, so people will be able to play as recklessly as they want too soon. :x

serious? no more accidental betrayals soon.

Thagomizer said:
For some reason, Dot (and only Dot) is extremely quiet for me. I can hear everyone else's voice fine, but Dot just sounds like indistinct murmuring unless everything else is dead silent.
218ol5.jpg

Hey where does your avatar come from? I'm seeing all kinds of weird Woody pictures all of a sudden. Thanks.

LiK

Neuromancer said:
http://i54.tinypic.com/218ol5.jpg
Hey where does your avatar come from? I'm seeing all kinds of weird Woody pictures all of a sudden. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

people are having fun with the new Woody Revoltech figure.

Circle T

Epyon MX said:
Especially Skirmishers. Those guys can really wreck me if I'm not paying attention!
I love Sniper Attack as well. I used to really struggle with the Skirmisher wave, until I started using the Focus Rifle. I try to rip through the Grunt round so I can get to the Jackals, and grab the FR from one of them. That thing works wonders on the Skirmishers. You can make a quick passing wave with it and hit a few of them, which will stumble them, and stop them running. Then once they are dazed for a second or so, just give them a solid blast with it again. Since they are unshielded, the FR just fries them. I used to get so mad when they showed up, because I just struggled so hard at killing them, but using the FR has really helped that.

Oh, and on the FF Voices thing, I'm not sure, but there might be a bug. I started using Auntie Dot last night. She is totally hilarious, if a tad quiet. But I noticed when using Sprint it sounds like my character is a female Spartan. I have it set to Male, and it still shows that, but the sprinting "huffs and puffs" sound different now. Am I just imagining things, or does the game think I'm a woman, just because Auntie Dot is my "Voice" in the game?? Not a big deal really, just an observation I noticed.

Would anyone else like the see Generator Defense added into objective playlists? I really enjoyed it in the beta, and I know it was for firefight, but I still think it would work well in MM also. It would also make a cool alt objective for Invasion.

Hey You

Demoncarnotaur said:
Would anyone else like the see Generator Defense added into objective playlists? I really enjoyed it in the beta, and I know it was for firefight, but I still think it would work well in MM also. It would also make a cool alt objective for Invasion.
I would love for it to come back. I could see some really fun Invasion and other gametypes coming from it.

I hope it comes back as its own gametype, not a gametype within a Gametype.

Mr. Sam

I haven't played a single game of Generator Defense since the beta. No idea what it'd be like without severe lag. :lol

Won a two against four Team Slayer match on Countdown earlier. Managed to beat them even though they rolled as a group and grabbed the shotgun - though, oddly, I never even saw the sword. Was so awesome.

GhaleonEB said:
This. Though I have yet to try out Sniper Attack - that's for tonight's Score Attack romp - I'm impressed they found something more satisfying that head shotting Grunts and Elites. After three subsequent Halo games, those were still the most satisfying thing to do. But nailing a string of headshots on Skirmishers, or whipping around and nailing one of those crazy fast dudes with the energy shield gauntlets so he pops up and flips over, is soooo good.
You will be hooked. Oh, yes...

LiK

Mr. Sam said:
I haven't played a single game of Generator Defense since the beta. No idea what it'd be like without severe lag. :lol

Won a two against four Team Slayer match on Countdown earlier. Managed to beat them even though they rolled as a group and grabbed the shotgun - though, oddly, I never even saw the sword. Was so awesome.

yea, noone ever votes for it. i played it for the first time on Saturday cuz i wanted to check it out before my party quit. kinda cool altho unless you're in a party of 3-4 where you can all vote for it, it's usually ignored.

Major Williams said:
Invasion on Boneyard is becoming increasingly one-sided.

Humans almost always win first round if both teams are skilled and communicating. It's almost boring now...

Playing as an elite can pretty much guarantee a negative k/d ratio, and you make that up when you play as a human...
All energy weapons are weak as shit, plus you have to add in travel time compared to the human's hitscan weapons, elites am gimped.

Why does it require 90% of a focus rifle "shot" to kill someone when they can just take me down instantly with a human sniper, it's not a fair fight now that the focus rifle is so gimped, the repeater is crap compared to the AR and let's not start with the elites not getting a magnum styled weapons, plasma pistol is good but not that good.

Sill4

The Lamonster said:
Anybody that purchased the Firefight voices want to explain what they're like? I'm not sure I understand the concept.

Does Cortana talk to you like she talked to the Chief? What is the Chief like? Or Buck?
I saved up for Cortana thinking it would be like oldskool Halo, but it's mainly her talking like she's actually playing, rather than talking to the player. And she sounds way different than in the other games.

Buck on the other hand, is effin awesome.

LiK

Sill4 said:
I saved up for Cortana thinking it would be like oldskool Halo, but it's mainly her talking like she's actually playing, rather than talking to the player. And she sounds way different than in the other games.

omg, that's a lot of cR....

Sill4 said:

By far my favorite voice in this or ODST. Half of that is Nathan Fillion greatness, half of it is just how good the lines are, which I guess goes back to the first half.

ManCannon

GhaleonEB said:
I have Auntie Dot, and I'm not sure I'm going to ever switch.

Dot is my current equipped voice and personal favorite as well. Now I just need to roll up my sleeves and surpass you on my leaderboards...

and OMG playlist update in 24 hours I'm so excited to resume play sans SWAT!

Diablohead said:
All energy weapons are weak as shit, plus you have to add in travel time compared to the human's hitscan weapons, elites am gimped.

Why does it require 90% of a focus rifle "shot" to kill someone when they can just take me down instantly with a human sniper, it's not a fair fight now that the focus rifle is so gimped, the repeater is crap compared to the AR and let's not start with the elites not getting a magnum styled weapons, plasma pistol is good but not that good.

The real problem isn't even the weapons, but the fact that there are only two ways into the base, and they are both kill funnels. The Spartans can chuck grenades pretty much at random and kill an Elite at the doors. There's no real strategy besides "mass up at the entrances, go in, hope we kill them first."

LiK

ManCannon said:
Dot is my current equipped voice and personal favorite as well. Now I just need to roll up my sleeves and surpass you on my leaderboards...

i shall miss playing SWAT with the general public. so much fun.

ManCannon said:

Would it be possible to patch the mix for Dot's voice and make her a little louder?

rush777

Just beat the campaign and it was very enjoyable although "I have my gun" was the worst tough guy line moment ever. Has Bungie said anything about changing the elites weapon power?

Ballistik

I got a ton of good clips that I want to share with you guys but I can't until this weekend when I go home! I've gotten 2 sticky's across the map.. a vehicular manslaughter medal, oh and a 1733 rating in a SWAT game!

Sill4

LiK said:
omg, that's a lot of cR....
My friend bought Chief's voice.....3 days after the game came out!

I actually love the firefight voices. I really wish they were implemented into multplayer somehow.

Once you get to captain and you don't spend too much, you'll have plenty of credits.

Curban Legend and the other dude in the lobby: Sorry the game kicked me out of your lobby because of my shitty inet connection. Sorry dudes :(

Waitin' for the FFversus playlist. :(

Oh i should go to bed now. Will write a english test tomorrow :(

Circle T

rush777 said:
Just beat the campaign and it was very enjoyable although "I have my gun" was the worst tough guy line moment ever.
"I have THE gun." Emile got aced, so he has to man the big ass MAC cannon to clear the path.

LiK

Sill4 said:
My friend bought Chief's voice.....3 days after the game came out!

I actually love the firefight voices. I really wish they were implemented into multplayer somehow.

Once you get to captain and you don't spend too much, you'll have plenty of credits.

i made the mistake of buying every friggin' shoulder armor at the beginning. i should've been more selective.

Sill4 said:

Yeah I was really excited thinking Cortana would say stuff like "watch out more enemies are coming" (when a new wave starts). "nice shot". "Be careful, there 2 of us in here now" etc etc.

But she just talks as if shes the one playing the game, I dont think im going to get her voice. I think thats a lost opportunity really, because someone who narrates your game like Cortana could have, would have been awesome.

Sill4 said:

Yes, so much yes. I remember posting on here when ODST released that i hoped the Firefight voices get put into multiplayer for Reach because it adds some Team Fortress 2-like personality to the game that I love.

ChrisD84

Does anyone else here not hear enemy footsteps in Reach? I can hear people sprinting about due to the breathing, but i can't say i have ever heard anyones footsteps, even when they have been right behind me.

I tried the surround sound test that was in the BWU, and everything sounded as it should in 5.1 as far as i could tell, so i'm wondering if it's just that i haven't really changed anything on my headset from the default settings apart from the volume levels (rear speakers a bit louder than the others), or if it's something else.

It's no wonder people are always able to sneak up on me without me noticing :D

Miggytronz

BadAss84 said:
Does anyone else here not hear enemy footsteps in Reach? I can hear people sprinting about due to the breathing, but i can't say i have ever heard anyones footsteps, even when they have been right behind me.

I tried the surround sound test that was in the BWU, and everything sounded as it should in 5.1 as far as i could tell, so i'm wondering if it's just that i haven't really changed anything on my headset from the default settings apart from the volume levels (rear speakers a bit louder than the others), or if it's something else.

It's no wonder people are always able to sneak up on me without me noticing :D
what headset are you using?

Circle T

Neuromancer said:
Yeah makes a big difference but that's what he said. I thought it was fine.
Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying that I'm correct or he is correct? Because if you watch the cutscene with the subtitles on
"I have THE gun"
is the actual line.

Marine: Lieutenant! Get aboard! We gotta get the hell outta here!

Noble Six: Negative. I have the gun. Good luck, sir.

Keyes: Good luck to you, Spartan.

Sill4

bobs99 ... said:
Yeah I was really excited thinking Cortana would say stuff like "watch out more enemies are coming" (when a new wave starts). "nice shot". "Be careful, there 2 of us in here now" etc etc.

But she just talks as if shes the one playing the game, I dont think im going to get her voice. I think thats a lost opportunity really, because someone who narrates your game like Cortana could have, would have been awesome.
Agreed. She still says some great stuff, it just feels like it's Jen Taylor as a Spartan rather than Cortana as your AI.

From what I hear on this page though,maybe Auntie Dot can fill that role?

And again...Buck is fucking awesome.
Net_Wrecker said:
Yes, so much yes. I remember posting on here when ODST released that i hoped the Firefight voices get put into multiplayer for Reach because it adds some Team Fortress 2-like personality to the game that I love.
Yup, I think I remember that suggestion, but couldn't comment because i wasn't registered yet.

I remember a couple days ago somebody in here saying they don't want multiplayer voices because it could give away their position, and that's understandable, so something would have to be done about that. Like maybe only teammates can hear other teammates.

I'm sure this has been asked about a million times.. But anyword on Bungie changing the Rumble pit playlist?

I want to play Free for all... not fucking infection every god damn time.

Louis Wu

For folks looking to get assists in Firefight, here's an easy way:

Go into Sniperfight with a buddy - any map where the baddies are dropped off via Phantom. (Outpost is a great choice.)

The Phantom front gun is a two-shot with a sniper rifle - you shoot the first one, your buddy gets the second. Instant assist.

On Outpost, that's a free 10 assists, guaranteed, per game. (Split up between the players, of course.)

Sill4 said:
Agreed. She still says some great stuff, it just feels like it's Jen Taylor as a Spartan rather than Cortana as your AI.

From what I hear on this page though,maybe Auntie Dot can fill that role?

And again...Buck is fucking awesome.
Nobody's mentioned what the Chief voice is like...he is normally a man of few words so I'm pretty curious about what he says and how often.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Louis Wu said:

Go into Sniperfight with a buddy - any map where the baddies are dropped off via Phantom. (Outpost is a great choice.)

The Phantom front gun is a two-shot with a sniper rifle - you shoot the first one, your buddy gets the second. Instant assist.

On Outpost, that's a free 10 assists, guaranteed, per game. (Split up between the players, of course.)

Not only that but try to get a the first body shot on Elites and Brutes, someone will gladly put the second shot in to finish off the enemy and take the points. You will get tons of assist. :D

Gui_PT

Louis Wu said:

If you get 4 players, divide them into two teams of two, one chooses grenade launcher and the other DMR, you can get at least 12 or 14 assists per game.

Circle T

ManCannon said:
now you'll just be able to play SWAT with people who WANT to play SWAT. Win-win. Should be better than ever.
Speaking of better than ever, have there been any changes to Rocket Race for Reach? Same general rules, I'm guessing, but do we get AAs, no AAs, only Sprint, how many maps, etc? I played the crap out of Rocket Race in Halo 3, so I'm eagerly awaiting its return.

Sill4

The Lamonster said:
Nobody's mentioned what the Chief voice is like...he is normally a man of few words so I'm pretty curious about what he says and how often.
He says quite a bit. He keeps shit simple like "It's injured" when he shoots something and it runs off.

I can't remember if he says "reloading" or "changing mags". His stuff from what I've heard so far, is much more in line with his character compared to Cortana. If you really want to hear chief, it's worth it, imo.

My friend who unlocked his voice claims that Bungie recoreded more Chief dialogue for Reach than in any other Halo game. Can someone from Bungie confirm/deny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom