• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jedeye Sniv said:
You know you can lock the generator right? When the dropship arrives, quickly lock it and then get into position for combat. Then in one minute it'll unlock again so you've got to run over and protect it till you can close it again. I'm an average player and I made it to the 4th wave on my first go.
"Discovering" the generator lock feature changed my experience of this game and it might have become my favorite solo FF mode. :lol

Kuroyume

Banned
Major Williams said:
Invasion on Boneyard is becoming increasingly one-sided.

Humans almost always win first round if both teams are skilled and communicating. It's almost boring now...

Playing as an elite can pretty much guarantee a negative k/d ratio, and you make that up when you play as a human...

Which is why I wish people would vote for Invasion Slayer... But no, have to vote for regular Invasion all the damn time...

Anybody that purchased the Firefight voices want to explain what they're like? I'm not sure I understand the concept.

Does Cortana talk to you like she talked to the Chief? What is the Chief like? Or Buck?

Shoogoo

Kuroyume said:
Which is why I wish people would vote for Invasion Slayer... But no, have to vote for regular Invasion all the damn time...

Invasion Slayer has the same flaws. It's so unfair for the elites.

Spartans get the rocket launcher and sniper rifle

Elite get the concussion rifle and focus rifle

The sword kick ass but on an open map like hemorrhage (ugh) its worthless

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Anybody that purchased the Firefight voices want to explain what they're like? I'm not sure I understand the concept.

Does Cortana talk to you like she talked to the Chief? What is the Chief like? Or Buck?

It just means that your character will talk like Cortana. ie grunts and gasps, one liners from headshots. Like Dutch's line "Bim bam in the brainpan!" (love that!).

Shoogoo

Jedeye Sniv said:
It just means that your character will talk like Cortana. ie grunts and gasps, one liners from headshots. Like Dutch's line "Bim bam in the brainpan!" (love that!).

Dutch? Didn't know you could unlock his voice?!

He means from the ODST game. I just bought Auntie Dot's and it's great.

Dax01 said:
I loooove Crashsite. Need to play more of it. Before I move back to it, though, I am determined to get more than Ghaleon on Score Attack on Corvette.
Just passed you in Sniper Attack on Corvette. :D

Jedeye Sniv said:
That's pretty cool. I'm definitely going MC or Buck then.

Kuroyume

Banned
Yeah, but the elites get roll and have recharging health. I think it's all up to what type of team you have, but just running around killing shit is more fair than having dudes rain death upon you or camping at good spots.

Btw, Elites and needlers/needle rifle + Elevation on the first stage of Spire is just as unfair to Spartans with fucking ARs and pistols. I wish people would understand they need to just charge in and take some time down off the capture points instead of slowly crouch walking up to the points. The fucking Elites spawn like 5 feet away. There's no other strategy to it, just charge in.

GhaleonEB

The Lamonster said:

I have Auntie Dot, and I'm not sure I'm going to ever switch. She basically makes periodic comments on what you're doing, though hers are often aimed at the guys I'm shooting: Among the comments, paraphrased:

"Ammunition depleted."

"I have pinpointed the location of the enemy's brain." (after a headshot)

"Scans indicate that you are dead." (after killing someone)

"I advise you seek medical attention." (after killing someone)

"Preparing final ammunition clip" (when loading last clip into the chamber)

"Success outstipped expectation." (seems to be when I get a multi-kill off a grenade throw)

She's got a few dozen comments and drops 2-3 a minute, all in this smoothly accented, droll voice. It's wonderful.

Edit: like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNjYR39nkrQ

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Also, reposted from my late edit on the last page, I started my solo Legendary run, my first time attempting such an insane feat. It was super hard but very rewarding, although I get the feeling that Tip of the Spear and Long Night of Solace are going to suuuuuuuck :lol

How did everyone else get through these big open battles? I'm gonna get reamed :lol

Jedeye Sniv said:
On another note, I started my solo Legendary run, my first time attempting such an insane feat. It was super hard but very rewarding, although I get the feeling that Tip of the Spear and Long Night of Solace are going to suuuuuuuck :lol
Tip of the Spear wasn't that bad. The only reason I had difficulty with Long Night of Solace was because of Elites with dual plasma rifles. They take out your shields and all your health in five seconds flat. It basically forces you to use the PP + Pistol/DMR/Nerfle combo, which sucks.

squidhands said:
Just passed you in Sniper Attack on Corvette. :D
You underestimate my power!!!

JB1981

Can you guys point me to a really good fan Halo site? I remember visiting one last year that had clips from all the games and then had really good summaries of the story and backstory. I can't seem to find it. I think there was a guy who used to post here who had somethign to do with the site.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Dax01 said:
Tip of the Spear wasn't that bad. The only reason I had difficulty with Long Night of Solace was because of Elites with dual plasma rifles. They take out your shields and all your health in five seconds flat. It basically forces you to use the PP + Pistol/DMR/Nerfle combo, which sucks.

Ha, I was already going for that cheap tactic on Winter Contingency. The elites are simply terrifying on Legendary, I am actually scared. I think I'm always going to keep an energy weapon and a one-shot weapon at all times, bullets seem to do bugger all against shields now. That sword elite at the end was very tricky, had to be pp and dmr there.

One thing I loved about Legendary is that it forces you to use the spaces a lot more tactically. In the area where you rescue the marines before an evac I only had to stick to one area even on heroic. On Legendary I got reamed in a few seconds and I had a lot more success making my way around the buildings in the back for a decent flank. It was fun on heroic but it really is a different game.

JB1981 said:
Can you guys point me to a really good fan Halo site? I remember visiting one last year that had clips from all the games and then had really good summaries of the story and backstory. I can't seem to find it. I think there was a guy who used to post here who had somethign to do with the site.
You're thinking of halo.bungie.org, ran by "Louis Wu"

http://blog.ascendantjustice.com/ is good too and ran by a couple Gaffers

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Does Score Attach Firefight not count towards the weekly challenge?

I just finished a Crashsite game and it didn't add 1 to the challenge...

GhaleonEB

The Lamonster said:
You're thinking of halo.bungie.org, ran by "Louis Wu"

http://blog.ascendantjustice.com/ is good too and ran by a couple Gaffers
AJ is no longer active, as the GAFers that ran it both got hired by Frakie at 343 (Voc and Cocop).

HBO is the one he's thinking of, going by his descption.

http://halo.bungie.org
Deadly Cyclone said:

I did two games of Score Attack this morning and both counted.

LiK

Deadly Cyclone said:

pause the game and check the challenges list. if the one you're aiming for is dim then it means it doesn't count.

I finished my solo legendary run last night. It was a lot of fun, man drop shield makes it crazy easy though. Hopefully they will patch the fall kill achievement soon so I cant have 1000/1000 for this game.

Gui_PT

Hypertrooper said:
When? Right now? I would join you. Send me a invite GT=Hypertrooper.

Edit: Oh i have no time, sorry :(

Will do.

Anyone having trouble with the vehicles challenge? I've destroyed 2 but the count is still on 0 =\

Kapura

Banned
Jedeye Sniv said:
Tne thing I loved about Legendary is that it forces you to use the spaces a lot more tactically. In the area where you rescue the marines before an evac I only had to stick to one area even on heroic. On Legendary I got reamed in a few seconds and I had a lot more success making my way around the buildings in the back for a decent flank. It was fun on heroic but it really is a different game.
So true. Legendary forces you to explore and know the space.
Example: On Pillar of Autumn after you get to the bit with marines on
the far end of Boneyard
and you have to fight your way through, there are some very nice weapons hidden. Besides the normal crates of DMRs etc. you can find
in the small shed with the armour abilities
, there are really good weapons hidden
in the dividing wall/partially de-constructed ship.
After some mild exploring, I was able to find a sniper rifle and a spartan laser (and I think another power weapon that I'm forgetting). The
Hunter pair
near the end of that area felt my wrath :D

LunaticPuma said:
Can we please have finites lives instead of infinite for Firefight? There are not enough consequences for making poor choices. I'd love for Firefight to actually feel challenging.
I'd rather a finite life count too, but that brings up other issues. Since the lives are shared in one pool for the team, just one bad player on your team can soak up everybody's lives, and that'll lead to games with more yelling at shit talking overall.

Gui_PT said:
Will do.

Anyone having trouble with the vehicles challenge? I've destroyed 2 but the count is still on 0 =\
You disconnected from us or what. Hypertrooer, LeadGandalf and I are waiting in the firefight lobby for you.

Kapura

Banned
yankeehater said:
I finished my solo legendary run last night. It was a lot of fun, man drop shield makes it crazy easy though. Hopefully they will patch the fall kill achievement soon so I cant have 1000/1000 for this game.
You know, it's not ACTUALLY bugged, it's just unreasonably difficult to obtain. There has been no indication that they intend to patch it; you just need to get your technique down.

I also like the Firefight voices samples they give you when you press X over each one. The most memorable ones are from the Chief:

"You need a weapon."
"Did ya miss me?"

LiK

Aggrotek said:
Does anyone have a vid like that one of Auntie Dot, but for the Cheif? I'd like to hear some of his lines.

i can't check right now but don't they say a bunch of lines when you preview their voices? i liked that the first one from MC was "Did you miss me?"

edit: beaten

Kapura said:
You know, it's not ACTUALLY bugged, it's just unreasonably difficult to obtain. There has been no indication that they intend to patch it; you just need to get your technique down.

yea, one night i got 20 successful assassinations in a row by doing everything people said would work and nothing unlocked. it's very glitchy imo or the requirements are much more specific than we are to believe.

The Lamonster said:

Buck is awesome. He says "Right betwixt the eye sockets" when you get a headshot. :lol

Oh yeah and his voice is cheap to buy, I think it's only 5K cR. Certainly no more than 10K.

LosDaddie

Banned
cwmartin said:
Just make sure your in Matchmaking. Score Attack (solo), Firefight (bring friends!)

Dax01 said:
I meant that you can use a friend to help make a challenge easier to get. So, if you want to bring a friend along with you into Firefight to help you get assists, that's okay. If a challenge says you have to do something alone, then you have to do it alone. If it doesn't specify then that means you can do it with a friend. You can still do it by yourself if that's what you prefer.
A more simplified answer:

Ok thanks! :D

I DLed a Firefight gametype to help me get the achievements and I was planning on doing it solo, but now I'll have a friend (or two) join me.

JB1981

GhaleonEB said:
AJ is no longer active, as the GAFers that ran it both got hired by Frakie at 343 (Voc and Cocop).

HBO is the one he's thinking of, going by his descption.

http://halo.bungie.org

I did two games of Score Attack this morning and both counted.

Wow Voc got hired by Frankie? That is awesome. That guy had AMAZING posts.

Kuroyume said:
There's no other strategy to it, just charge in.
A good tip for Invasion is to keep your battle bro in mind, and try to keep at least one of your pair alive at all times, especially the initial assault. If you *both* die then you're both way back at the initial spawn. If just one of you dies, the other player should seek a hiding spot so his buddy an spawn on him - thus there's less downtime before launching a second assault.

JB1981 said:
Yeah he also narrates a ton of the Waypoint videos. Great stuff. When you hear how he analyzes certain maps or encounters, it's obvious why 343i hired him.

I haven't seen either of those two post on GAF for a while, maybe they are busy with the gig.

darthbob

JB1981 said:

If anything, they were both good writers who were able to see the Halo story as something a bit more than the average fan would.

I'm not saying anyone else couldn't do the same job as they did/do, but it seems like they were hired mostly out of their ability to analyze the story and write up a good summary of specific events that some might find interesting.

...or something, I don't know.:lol

GhaleonEB

darthbob said:
If anything, they were both good writers who were able to see the Halo story as something a bit more than the average fan would.

I'm not saying anyone else couldn't do the same job as they did/do, but it seems like they were hired mostly out of their ability to analyze the story and write up a good summary of specific events that some might find interesting.

...or something, I don't know.:lol
I think they were hired for their mix of passion, demonstrated talent and devotion. And also, Frankie has a soft spot for bald people.

Ramirez

I still don't get why people complain about the challenges, they're not mandatory, if you don't like them, don't do them. So much more stuff that needs fixed with this game, challenges and their requirements are about number 100 on the to do list.

Ramirez said:
I still don't get why people complain about the challenges, they're not mandatory, if you don't like them, don't do them. So much more stuff that needs fixed with this game, challenges and their requirements are about number 100 on the to do list.
It's the internet, it's fun to complain.

The Lamonster said:
haha I love Nathan Fillion.
Yeah he's awesome. I was psyched when I saw him in there, you also hear him in one of the missions on the radio.

Oh man, whoever recommended Sniper Attack earlier in this thread, Thank You.

Very fun and good cR. Gruntpocalypse was enjoyable, but I could really only play more than 2 rounds if I had something else going (podcasts, TV, Netflix). Sniper attack uses all of the enemy classes, with infinite ammo. The power weapons keep it casual, but the AI keep you on your toes. Especially Skirmishers. Those guys can really wreck me if I'm not paying attention!

Lars and Team really nailed Firefight. The maps are good, but it's the AI that really does well. AI in campaign mostly plays defense (historically, less so in Reach), but the Firefight AI is aggressive as hell. They will get in your face and laugh as you die. <3

LiK

Epyon MX said:
Oh man, whoever recommended Sniper Attack earlier in this thread, Thank You.

Very fun and good cR. Gruntpocalypse was enjoyable, but I could really only play more than 2 rounds if I had something else going (podcasts, TV, Netflix). Sniper attack uses all of the enemy classes, with infinite ammo. The power weapons keep it casual, but the AI keep you on your toes. Especially Skirmishers. Those guys can really wreck me if I'm not paying attention!

Lars and Team really nailed Firefight. The maps are good, but it's the AI that really does well. AI in campaign mostly plays defense (historically, less so in Reach), but the Firefight AI is aggressive as hell. They will get in your face and laugh as you die. <3

yea, i always go for Sniperfight in Firefight MM whenever i see it.

GhaleonEB

Epyon MX said:
This. Though I have yet to try out Sniper Attack - that's for tonight's Score Attack romp - I'm impressed they found something more satisfying that head shotting Grunts and Elites. After three subsequent Halo games, those were still the most satisfying thing to do. But nailing a string of headshots on Skirmishers, or whipping around and nailing one of those crazy fast dudes with the energy shield gauntlets so he pops up and flips over, is soooo good.

StUnNeR H2K

If people choose to play Rocketfight then don't go in to melee people... seriously. Some guy ran into melee on a group of Elite's I was fire upon. Didn't get the betrayal cause he was already almost dead, but as soon as he respawns he walks over and shoots me point blank in the face with a rocket. I booted him... but seriously, vote for regular firefight if you want to dance in melee range with the elites.

Ballistik

So when are we going to start posting speed runs in gruntpocalypse score attack? Especially right now with this insane weekly challenge. The only way I'm having fun is by trying to beat my best time :lol What are your guy's best times and on what map?

I did one right one on Outpost with about 6 minutes remaining. Film clocks in at 6:09.

LiK

StUnNeR H2K said:
If people choose to play Rocketfight then don't go in to melee people... seriously. Some guy ran into melee on a group of Elite's I was fire upon. Didn't get the betrayal cause he was already almost dead, but as soon as he respawns he walks over and shoots me point blank in the face with a rocket. I booted him... but seriously, vote for regular firefight if you want to dance in melee range with the elites.

yea, those people suck. you're supposed to stay away from explosions but some people still think they're playing regular Firefight. one guy in a party of two rocketed me on purpose so i booted him and then his friend got pissed and rocketed me too and i booted him as well. :lol i love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom