• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blueblur1 said:
Awesome. Let's put radar back into every gametype. Let's please the fuckin' babies.

And Crazy King is back. The absolute worst Halo 3 gametype, aside from Heavies, returns.

I like how you're whining, and calling other people babies in the same post.

Havok

bobs99 ... said:
Why is this the case? MLG uses 2 hit beatdown for objects and ive never understood why? Im not being funny, im just really curious.
That's how it was in Halo 2, but Halo 2 also had a really excellent system for varying melee damage: a base amount if you were standing still, a higher amount when running, and a one-hit-kill if you jumped with it and lunged down. I still think this is the best system, especially with the equipment like Bubble Shields and Regenerators that were brought into the game in 3. It added a layer of tension as the objective-carrying guy, but you were still powerful if you knew how to use it.

neoism

LukeSmith said:
Actually, as you level up more in Reach, you'll notice your Credits earned for time from each game will increase because we're gently scaling up the amount of Credits you earn from completing games based on your military rank.

Which isn't to say that reaching the highest rank in the game won't be a grind - it will take a while - but not 3 years at 20k a day.
I knew they scaled... :)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Look at the way oddball is played in Reach and Halo 3. You either hide behind a shield door, bubble shield, drop shield, in a corner, look at your radar (this has changed for Reach) and just wait for people to come in so you can melee them once for the kill. If you don't have the ball you spawn across the map from the ball and try to make your way there. On your way, you're either killed by someone else trying to get there or if you do make it there you die from the ball or trade with him and don't get anytime. That's not what Oddball should be about. FFA Oddball in Halo 3 and Reach is a joke gametype. You can't possibly try to take it seriously. How could you win at these gametypes and not feel cheap? Not feel like you're exploiting the game weak points? It's ridiculous. People now have a twisted idea of how oddball is played in Halo, it's hilarious.

The way FFA oddball should be is that the guy with the ball runs around the map trying to stay alive to the best of his ability. He drops the ball to clear his path here and there while everyone else fights and fights until they have the opportunity to get the ball for themselves. If the ball takes 2 hits to kill there's no point in using the ball as a weapon. If you try to, you're gonna either die or trade every time.

In Halo 2 you could jump and melee someone over the head with a flag or oddball. It wasn't easy and it was very rewarding when pulled off. If it happened to you, you tip your hat to the guy because you got shit on.

For FFA Oddball, I think Zealot could work. Arena Zealot that is. It's a circular map, no where to play the ball, no where to hide. It also has some decent jumps and ledges and escape routes. Just grab the ball and run for your life!

Blueblur1

Ajemsuhgao said:
I like how you're whining, and calling other people babies in the same post.
Yeah, you're a cool guy.

Anyway, I posted over at Optimatch. I'm really upset that Slayer Pro was taken out of the Arena hoppers and now Slayer DMRs will have motion sensors. If anything Slayer Pro should be more prominent in the Arena playlists and Slayer DMRs shouldn't change at all. My argument is that the majority of MM gametypes will always feature the motion sensor (Slayer, Classic Slayer, Crazy King, 1 Flag CTF, 1 CTF Classic, Headhunter, Team Headhunter, Stockpile, 3 Plots, Territories, Multiflag CTF, Oddball, Team Oddball, King of the Hill, Assault, Neutral Assault, Invasion, Invasion Slayer, Juggernaut, BTB Classic, Big Team Slayer, Elite Slayer, Infection, Safe Havens, etc.) so a little variety wouldn't kill anyone. And as a fan of gametypes without radars, I hate seeing the existing ones change or become less prominent.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
CTF needs a longer overtime too, It really blows when you get the flag with 10 seconds left and are away with a clear path back to score and you only get 15 bonus seconds...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Blueblur1 said:
Yeah, you're a cool guy.

Anyway, I posted over at Optimatch. I'm really upset that Slayer Pro was taken out of the Arena hoppers and now Slayer DMRs will have motion sensors. If anything Slayer Pro should be more prominent in the Arena playlists and Slayer DMRs shouldn't change at all. My argument is that the majority of MM gametypes will always feature the motion sensor (Slayer, Classic Slayer, Crazy King, 1 Flag CTF, 1 CTF Classic, Headhunter, Team Headhunter, Stockpile, 3 Plots, Territories, Multiflag CTF, Oddball, Team Oddball, King of the Hill, Assault, Neutral Assault, Invasion, Invasion Slayer, Juggernaut, BTB Classic, Big Team Slayer, Elite Slayer, Infection, Safe Havens, etc.) so a little variety wouldn't kill anyone. And as a fan of gametypes without radars, I hate seeing the existing ones change or become less prominent.

Well Slayer Pro in Arena was bugged and has radar. Why it just isn't fixed for this update, I don't understand. I figured the correct, no radar Slayer Pro could replace the old one immediately but I guess not.

Deadly Cyclone said:
CTF needs a longer overtime too, It really blows when you get the flag with 10 seconds left and are away with a clear path back to score and you only get 15 bonus seconds...
It needs to be at least a 2-minute sudden death... The flag return time also needs to be changed drastically. For maps like Countdown I do not think Touch Return would be out of the question...

Chorazin

Wow, Tip of the Spear on Legendary went much easier than I expected. Only took me about an hour! Jacked a Wraith at the second AA gun and that made life easy.

Striker

Oddball is getting the Drop Shield removed, so thank goodness for that the gametype will actually be fun again. KotH also will work well without bubble/drop shield present.

Nicely written, Jeremiah!

(Get him on GAF!)

Blueblur1

Excuse my anger tonight, GAF. I've had a terrible night with this game. Not because of losing but because of dealing with that terrible assist challenge and the lag in FF MM. It's laggier than ODST FF was. UGH.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Green Mamba said:
And Infection remains in Rumble Pit. Bah.
This is only the first half of the October updates. The focus is SWAT and Team Slayer. There will be some more sweet changes mid month and again for November and ultimately Infection will find a new home away from other core gametypes.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
urk said:
This is only the first half of the October updates. The focus is SWAT and Team Slayer. There will be some more sweet changes mid month and again for November and ultimately Infection will find a new home away from other core gametypes.
Awesome. Thank you for the confirmation.

urk said:
Very cool to know. Thank you.

Hey You

urk said:
:D :D

GhaleonEB

So, this morning I played two game of Score Attack and they both counted toward the weekly challenge. And all day people were playing Score Attack and saying it wasn't counting, and I was all, hey it worked for me!

I just played two games of Score Attack (Crash Site and regular) and they're no longer counting toward the challenge. So either they stopped registering and something is wrong, or Bungie changed the criteria of the challenge today so Score Attack doesn't count. I'd really like to know if that's intentional or not: I don't like the regular FF playlist enough to play it 30 (or 3) times this week. But I can do it on Score Attack gladly.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
urk said:
Send my thanks to Bungie <3

*checks k/d spread on recent games*

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
GhaleonEB said:
So, this morning I played two game of Score Attack and they both counted toward the weekly challenge. And all day people were playing Score Attack and saying it wasn't counting, and I was all, hey it worked for me!

I just played two games of Score Attack (Crash Site and regular) and they're no longer counting toward the challenge. So either they stopped registering and something is wrong, or Bungie changed the criteria of the challenge today so Score Attack doesn't count. I'd really like to know if that's intentional or not: I don't like the regular FF playlist enough to play it 30 (or 3) times this week. But I can do it on Score Attack gladly.
Yeah, I played a couple games of Score Attack this afternoon and they didn't count — regular Firefight did, though. Also, it's 50 rounds, not 30. I do think that 30 would've still been sufficient for the challenge — 50 really is a lot. :/

ElRenoRaven

So yea so I just decided to embrace my inner Forerunner. I did find a use for one tin cup though. It really helps that tree look more natural again. It was growing through the metal ground. So that gave it an almost maintained look like you might find in the middle of a city. Also having brought that area up really helps and with the flow of the map I think. That was such a steep incline area that vehicles just slowed down a lot and it left people vulnerable there. I don't think they will be now. lol

h1Petl.jpg

So you have two small bases and then this unique looking Forerunner structure over on that side of the map.

GhaleonEB

vatstep said:
Yeah, I played a couple games of Score Attack this afternoon and they didn't count — regular Firefight did, though. Also, it's 50 rounds, not 30. I do think that 30 would've still been sufficient for the challenge — 50 really is a lot. :/
Yeah, typo on the Round count. But if Score Attack doesn't count, I'm not even going to try. What I enjoy about Firefight is challenge, and the regular playlist is just a chaotic blast with no sense of danger since there's infinite lives and it's only one round. I really hope that by turning off friendly fire, the playlist gets finite lives, and the Legendary playlist shows up mid-month.

X26

Banned
I want the waypoint unlockab;e armor, but am 25gs short and trying the hear me beg achievement...ugh, this sucks. when are you even supposed to begin holding down the melee button

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, typo on the Round count. But if Score Attack doesn't count, I'm not even going to try. What I enjoy about Firefight is challenge, and the regular playlist is just a chaotic blast with no sense of danger since there's infinite lives and it's only one round. I really hope that by turning off friendly fire, the playlist gets finite lives, and the Legendary playlist shows up mid-month.

Score attack has been counting for me today.

vatstep

PsychoRaven said:
Hmm. Perhaps for Score Attack games to count, you need eliminate all of the enemies before the time limit? If that's the case, it would make sense that regular Firefight games would count for pretty much everyone, since it's rare that the clock runs out in those games.

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
Epiphany: You have to finish the round (duh) not just the game. So if I finish a game of Score Attack without finishing off the Elites in Wave 5, it won't count, just lasting 12 minutes won't cut it. Time to go test, but that makes sense given the wording of the Challenge.

Edit: I see this is a collective epiphany. :lol

I can only finish a round on three or four of the maps, regardless of game mode, as there are always too many stragglers on the larger maps. So that narrows how I can get it by quite a bit. But I think it's doable.

GhaleonEB said:
Epiphany: You have to finish the round (duh) not just the game. So if I finish a game of Score Attack without finishing off the Elites in Wave 5, it won't count, just lasting 12 minutes won't cut it. Time to go test, but that makes sense given the wording of the Challenge.
Yeah that's exactly it, you have to kill everyone and not just let it time out.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:

Edit: I see this is a collective epiphany. :lol

I can only finish a round on three or four of the maps, regardless of game mode, as there are always too many stragglers on the larger maps. So that narrows how I can get it by quite a bit. But I think it's doable.

Maybe so. I'm a Gruntpocalypse fan myself. I love to kill them little SOBs. As a result I always finish by killing all the little buggers.

feel

Hey You said:
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=50197793
Can't wait. Slayer playlist should be a much better place to hang out on. Will give BTB another try and see if I get good stuff more consistently now, BTB used to be one of my favorite playlists in previous Halos but on Reach I have a miserable time almost every time I hop on it, I just can never get people to vote for decent gametypes on it.

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
Maybe so. I'm a Gruntpocalypse fan myself. I love to kill them little SOBs. As a result I always finish by killing all the little buggers.
Yup, that was it. Just finished up a regular Score Attack game on Corvette (and totally donged on Dax's high score in the process) and it counted.

jambo

urk said:
<3 xoxo

AnnHog

urk said:

Awesome :D

urk said:
Awesome news for us Infection lovers. :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
urk said:

What exactly is the thinking behind not doing this from the beginning?

Sai

I do hope that Snipers eventually gets it's own playlist as well, because that's like... Half of the games I've played today thus far, seriously.

Even in Firefight Matchmaking!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom