• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: RTX 5090 to include 32GB of VRAM

//DEVIL//

I wonder if a 1000w PSU will be sufficient for the 5090
Depends on your cpu . If you are going something like 14900k then no. That cpu is power hungry when combined with the rest of the stuff in the case

With that being said . If the FE is 600. The 3rd party is probably above that for the OC. That means it will need 2x 12vhpwr cables ? If there the case I am either FE or out. Not planning to buy another psu . Nvidia can shove the card

Change card, change psu . Also maybe change to 9800x3d.

Might as well change the pc . Fuck that . I’ll play base ps5 lol

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I do hope 5090 is bundled with its own room-sized heat-spreader and a portable nuclear reactor.

Because while I live in a region with dirt-cheap electricity, 600w for a consumer PC part is just ridiculous. It is also a sign that Nvidia moved to castrated data center GPUs. Because it doesn’t sound like 5090 was designed for the consumer market from scratch.

We are in dire need of competent competition on a consumer GPU market.

Last edited:
600w TDP... lmao. We are closer to "hey maybe cloud gaming is not so bad" or "give me that 20 solar panels", because playing games on PC is gonna be expensive as fuck... pay your electricity bills mf :lollipop_ogre: :lollipop_ogre: :lollipop_ogre:

Ulysses 31

With it drawing so much power, won’t it wear it out faster? It can’t be easy to crank through that much juice?
It won't draw 600W by just being on, you need to be putting that card to serious work to get that kind of Watt usage.

Last edited:

Brucey

Use that thing for 4 hour's a day and it'll cost you €1,200 electricity over 5 years and that doesn't count the rest of your setup. An entire ps5 by comparison uses half the wattage.

No wonder most master race bros are still living with their parents.
In the winter that heat is basically free for the house. Now in the summer you need extra ac on top of the direct power util.

CLW

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

lachesis

And it was my plan to buy PS5 Pro Anniversary version so that I could sell and buy 5090 and a new monitor. Silly me as I failed! Lol

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Use that thing for 4 hour's a day and it'll cost you €1,200 electricity over 5 years and that doesn't count the rest of your setup. An entire ps5 by comparison uses half the wattage.

No wonder most master race bros are still living with their parents.

I was so happy you got your ps5 pro earlier, but now....get out of here with your ps5 pleb machine. Let the big boys burn loads of money on shinier graphics and resolutions. Your measly 700 dollars! Ill pay triple that for this bad boy and ill run it for 24/7 coz i give that many fucks...

StereoVsn

I’m guessing $999 for the 5080 and $2399 for the 5090.
It will be double the price, for sure. Thinking $1199 for 5080 and $2499 for 5090.

5080 improvements are disappointing. Especially 16GB VRAM again for an expensive card in 2024 is meh.

TheAssist

yeah if this cost over 2K I'm out of the PC gpu market. Geforce Now will have to be my savior for high end graphics and PS6 / Next

I dont get it. The 4090 already costs that much, but yet you are still "in". Is anyone forcing you to buy the most expansive card on the market. Or buy any new card at all?
I'm still on an 8 year old GTX 1070 (non Ti) and its...fine actually. I'm even surprised the thing is still running and if at some point it doesn't anymore, I might buy a used 3070. What an upgrade that will be!

Oh wait, you only did this for drama didn't you. Ah fuck me, I always fall for that.

Kerotan

I was so happy you got your ps5 pro earlier, but now....get out of here with your ps5 pleb machine. Let the big boys burn loads of money on shinier graphics and resolutions. Your measly 700 dollars! Ill pay triple that for this bad boy and ill run it for 24/7 coz i give that many fucks...
If I was to buy my pro off a scalper for €5000 would you respect me more?

The 5080 is rumored to be about 10% faster than the 4090. I don’t think it ever happened that an 80-class card didn’t beat the previous flagship. The 2080 came really close, but still pull ahead marginally.
Damn. I didn't know that! Thanks for the correction.

DanielG165

For what this card is really supposed to be utilized for: massive work flows, I’d say 32gbs of VRAM is pretty damn good.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I dont get it. The 4090 already costs that much, but yet you are still "in". Is anyone forcing you to buy the most expansive card on the market. Or buy any new card at all?
I'm still on an 8 year old GTX 1070 (non Ti) and its...fine actually. I'm even surprised the thing is still running and if at some point it doesn't anymore, I might buy a used 3070. What an upgrade that will be!

Oh wait, you only did this for drama didn't you. Ah fuck me, I always fall for that.
Nope I didn’t pay nearly 2k for my card but I got friends. I’m just saying I’m not going over 2k for next gen

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Hah so either get the most insane card ever or have only 16gb RAM.
Yep. That's the thing about nvidia cards, unless you are willing to spend for performance you may not want (due to lower spec parts) or even need, every single card from them is heavily bottlenecked on the VRAM... giving the practical cards 16 gb, and then the $24000 GPU the actually future proof VRAM.

it's such a scummy and shit scheme, i hate it so fckng much.

Last edited:

BlackTron

With it drawing so much power, won’t it wear it out faster? It can’t be easy to crank through that much juice?

I've already reached the point my 1060 machine is on all day and I only turn on 3070 if game needs it.

I know power use scales I just see it as a liability to even be powered on just so I can move files and play Kingdom Rush.

Now give me a much more expensive gpu with much more power and heat than the one I'm already babying, for like 2k. Honestly this is outside the realm of enjoying video games for me. Being worried I'm putting stress on my 2k part while it generates a boring open world map for hours is the kind of feeling that'd make me wonder what went wrong that compelled me to get here.

kevboard

Sony just launched a $700 PlayStation. I'm assuming the high-end stuff will be even more expensive.

maybe. but it could also go the other way because they know that people don't really need to upgrade.
you can get console quality performance on 7 year old GPUs, so people need to be enticed to upgrade.

I don't think the RTX40 series was enticing for people looking for an upgrade. Meanwhile the RTX30 series was. the RTX30 series was what the GTX10 and GTX9 series users had been waiting for to make the jump.

the RTX50 series could be positioned as an enticing upgrade for RTX20 series users, who are still easily playing all games at good quality on their RTX2080 or 2070 Super.

but, I guess we gotta wait and see. It's hard to predict these things nowadays... I mean noone saw the 800€ PS5 Pro coming either I guess lol

Jorav

You'll need a nuclear reactor to run it by the sounds of it. Will we see efficient GPUs or just simply throw more power at them? I am not versed too much in the intricacies.

Top Bottom