• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Trump can't book talent for inauguration. Trump Tweet: Nuh uh, your face!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kavanf1

There must be some celeb out there who's tempted to attend and then on the night dis Trump live in front of the whole world. I'm hoping that happens.

Xtyle

I got juniored and can't create thread so I will post this piece of new Trump phone interview here:

In his defense to his mocking the disabled reporter during his rally, he says, “People keep saying I intended to mock the reporter’s disability, as if Meryl Streep and others could read my mind, and I did no such thing,” he said in the interview.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/movies/trump-meryl-streep-golden-globes-speech.html

How does he even defend that? I mean, the mere act of imitating a disabled person for a laugh is mocking such person, no? Does that not freaking show intend to mock? WTF...how can anyone win any argument with this dude when his defense is always you are wrong no matter what. America truly lost the battle on that election day.

Dali

I got juniored and can't create thread so I will post this piece of new Trump phone interview here:

In his defense to his mocking the disabled reporter during his rally, he says, “People keep saying I intended to mock the reporter’s disability, as if Meryl Streep and others could read my mind, and I did no such thing,” he said in the interview.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/movies/trump-meryl-streep-golden-globes-speech.html

How does he even defend that? I mean, the mere act of imitating a disabled person for a laugh is mocking such person, no? Does that not freaking show intend to mock? WTF...how can anyone win any argument with this dude when his defense is always you are wrong no matter what. America truly lost the battle on that election day.
Lol it's like his defense of going on a talk show and saying he'd date his daughter. He claimed it was just a cute statement that everyone there thought was a sweet comment about how beautiful his daughter is. Of course he ended his defense with "but she would be great" said quickly and almost underneath his breath.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

I love the dig at Meryl Streep. That must still sting for him.
Edit: oh, I missed the GG's.

Syriel

He didn't pay for the use of music. He doesn't pay people for other people's work. He doesn't care. This isn't a hard concept to grasp.

We're not paying for your damn wall either.

Tell that to Kellie "muh anti-Canadian values test" Leitch". Sure, it's not a literal wall but it's equally pointless and racist.

You've once again ignored the actual content of a post and responded with a drive-by link that does absolutely nothing to counter the original statement.

It's nice that Sony didn't give permission. But it also doesn't matter. At all.

If you had actually read the content of the post that you pretended to quote, and spent all of 30 seconds looking up the song in question, you would have found that BMI holds the performance rights to "We are the Champions" in its collection.

http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp...13181&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID

Now, if you can show something from BMI saying that the use was unauthorized, you might have a point.

But your link is akin to Microsoft saying that it didn't authorize Naughty Dog to release Uncharted 4 for PlayStation 4. While it's true that Microsoft didn't authorize it, Microsoft wouldn't be in any position to prohibit it either.

You don't get to ignore blanket licenses just because you don't like them.

Syriel - it's possible Queen is such a big band that they have a clause in their contract where they can deny Trump using the song.

Where is your proof that Trump did actually license the use?

That's not the way blanket licensing works with the PROs. Works are either registered, or they are not registered. Once registered, the PRO in question controls the licensing and collection of payment. So long as either the venue or the entity hosting the event at the venue holds ASCAP and BMI licenses, they are licensed for any song in either catalog.

Between the two of them, nearly every popular song you might know is covered.

Blanket licensing is a thing that exists and is a standard part of the industry. If a band is wholly independent, writes all its own lyrics, all its own music, never sells any rights and never registers with a PRO, then it can pick and choose who it wants to license to (with compulsory licenses being the obvious exception). Once your work is in a PRO library though, you don't get to pick and choose who uses it, so long as the appropriate fees are paid.

A quick excerpt from BMI:

Our Music Licenses offer copyright clearance to use all of the works in the BMI repertoire in a variety of ways. This service saves music users the immense time and expense of contacting each songwriter or composer for permission to play their music publicly.

I mean you could negotiate with individual performers for rights if you wanted to, but it is often cheaper, faster and easier to just get the blanket licenses from ASCAP/BMI and go to town.

And while you are correct, I don't have any proof that Trump did pay, it is telling that no one from ASCAP or BMI (the two major entities that would care if he didn't pay) have not accused the campaign of not getting the proper licenses.

For context, we're talking about two organizations that have tip lines (and have offered paid bounties) for average citizens to report anyone, even small local dive bars, that play music without a license. They are at MPAA levels of craziness when it comes to the rabid protection of their revenue stream via licensing fees, so complete radio silence on that front is telling. If something was owed, they'd be all over it.

Syriel

Moby was asked to perform at Trump's inauguration.

He said he would, but demanded that Trump release his tax returns as payment.

Moby said:
Hahahahaha, I was just asked by a booking agent if I would consider djing at one of the inaugural balls for #trump... Hahahahaha, wait, Hahahaha, really? I guess I'd DJ at an inaugural ball if as payment #trump released his tax returns. Also I would probably play public enemy and stockhausen remixes to entertain the republicans. I'm still laughing. Hahahaha. So #trump what do you think, I DJ for you and you release your tax returns?

Source:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPDQ8nWjBMp/

Charlotte Church also got a request to perform.

Charlotte Church said:
@realDonaldTrump Your staff have asked me to sing at your inauguration, a simple Internet search would show I think you're a tyrant. Bye💩💩💩💩

Source:
https://twitter.com/charlottechurch/status/818766435703025664

Yes, the poo emojis are in Church's original tweet. I did not add those.

Alucrid

Banned
maybe donald trump can get midnight star to perform

QssoNPr.jpg

He appeared at the RNC one year (I think it was 2000) as part of a campaign to get people to vote.

More recently he has said that he would run against Trump in 2020 if people supported the idea.
That was part of his job as a WWE Superstar and they have always sent their big guns to "Smackdown your Vote"

In 2000, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson was given a speaking slot at the Republican National Convention in Philadelphia. Johnson, known to millions then as a WWE champion and known to hundreds of millions now for appearing in third-rate action comedies, has evidently been a Republican for some time, although his remarks at the convention were focused squarely on encouraging young people to vote regardless of party affiliation. The Rock also showed up at the Democratic Convention later that August with the late Chyna, but wasn’t given a speaking slot there.

They usually send the same people to both. Even if he is a Republican I don't think he's a Trump guy

http://consequenceofsound.net/2017/...ute-band-agrees-to-play-trump-inaugural-ball/

hahahah

they're bringing a cover band of springsteen to the inauguration

Billed as the #1 Springsteen tribute band, The B Street Band are scheduled to headline the January 19th event at the Washington Court Hotel. New Jersey governor and noted Springsteen super fan Chris Christie is an honorary chair of the ball, so you can probably count on him drunkenly stumbling on stage to sing ”Thunder Road" at some point during the evening. (He previously hired the B Street Band to perform at his own inauguration ball after the Springsteen turned him down.)

LionPride

Banned
I hope some of yall realize there are celebs who lean financially conservative but are liberal everywhere else. Like The Rock. He likes his money.

Caitlyn Jenner Will Reportedly Attend Donald Trump’s Inauguration

Huffington Post said:
On her show, the conservative Republican declared that she didn’t like Trump’s macho attitude, but “I think he would be very good for women’s issues.”

Jenner told the outlet STAT that Trump “seems very much behind the LGBT community” after he disagreed with North Carolina’s anti-LGBTQ bathroom law (though he later walked back his criticism).

She has little time for Trump’s opponent Hillary Clinton, who will also attend the inauguration, calling the Democratic presidential candidate a “fucking liar.”

FyreWulff

what is it with high ranking repubs and their love of springsteen even though his songs are anti-the-entire-republican-ideology?

Because his supporters will accept any bullshit excuse he gives. I thought I had already lost all respect for my Trump-fanatic aunt, but when I saw her give that same defense of that act, nope respect dropped even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom