• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Trump can't book talent for inauguration. Trump Tweet: Nuh uh, your face!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drspeedy

Would they be allowed to play his songs, would have thought no in a televised event.

Unless he owns the performance rights -rather than his publisher, label or someone else due to contract agreements- he can't stop them, they have the ability to pay a fee and cover away.

Lots of big artists retain those rights, but not all. Part of the deal for having a record contract

Futureman

That's not the way blanket licensing works with the PROs. Works are either registered, or they are not registered. Once registered, the PRO in question controls the licensing and collection of payment. So long as either the venue or the entity hosting the event at the venue holds ASCAP and BMI licenses, they are licensed for any song in either catalog.

Between the two of them, nearly every popular song you might know is covered.

Blanket licensing is a thing that exists and is a standard part of the industry. If a band is wholly independent, writes all its own lyrics, all its own music, never sells any rights and never registers with a PRO, then it can pick and choose who it wants to license to (with compulsory licenses being the obvious exception). Once your work is in a PRO library though, you don't get to pick and choose who uses it, so long as the appropriate fees are paid.

Thanks for the info Syriel.

Though it definitely sounds like an artist can stop the use of their song by a political campaign based off this FAQ on the RIAA's website:
http://www.riaa.com/resources-learning/for-political-campaigns/

However, some artists, performers or composers might assert non-copyright claims (false advertising, right of publicity, defamation, or false light) on the theory that the campaign has falsely implied that the artist, performer or composer has endorsed the candidate.

Typically, the publisher and record label will check with the writer, composer or artist to see whether they object to the use of the song in this context.

200_s.gif

Slacker

I'm going to fantasize about Paul McCartney playing the inauguration. Opens with 'She Loves You' and 'I want to hold your hand' but suddenly transitions to 'Mean Mr Mustard,' 'Taxman,' and of course: 'Back in the USSR.'

Syriel

Thanks for the info Syriel.

Though it definitely sounds like an artist can stop the use of their song by a political campaign based off this FAQ on the RIAA's website:
http://www.riaa.com/resources-learning/for-political-campaigns/

Yes, there are certainly other claims that can be made, but the irony with most of those is that they can only be asserted if a reasonable person would believe them. The simple fact that the artists against Trump have been so publicly vocal about it means that no one would reasonably believe they supported him, therefore claims like false endorsement would fall flat.

It's an interesting area of the law and one that can consume large amounts of time when you're bored. ;)

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I hate my teenage self for liking 3 Doors Down now. This has retroactively made me hate their debut album.

A friend of mine has a sister that's pretty active in the Canadian music scene. They were doing a show and 3 Doors Down was there (for whatever reason, I don't even think they were playing) and the lead singer is, apparently, a total slimeball who thinks he's god's gift to women because he's a "rock star" and got all uppity and obnoxious when she said she wasn't interested.

Totally anecdotal but that's what I heard.

gabbo

A friend of mine has a sister that's pretty active in the Canadian music scene. They were doing a show and 3 Doors Down was there (for whatever reason, I don't even think they were playing) and the lead singer is, apparently, a total slimeball who thinks he's god's gift to women because he's a "rock star" and got all uppity and obnoxious when she said she wasn't interested.

Totally anecdotal but that's what I heard.

Slimeball rockstars are a dime a dozen and that wouldn't be enough to stop liking them. This though....

Parshias7

Saw a killer comment about the inauguration music:

"News that 3 Doors Down would be playing Donald Trump's inauguration has caused music fans to boycott their records for the past 15 years."

Slacker

I feel like there are better than zero odds that one of these performers that show up to this shitfest will secretly be there to cause trouble. I picture 3 doors down playing the theme from Tetris or something similar.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I feel like there are better than zero odds that one of these performers that show up to this shitfest will secretly be there to cause trouble. I picture 3 doors down playing the theme from Tetris or something similar.

So true.

I guess if you're a band of has-beens desperately clawing for relevance, you're going to get a hell of a lot more pop off being "the band that played spoiler at Trump's inauguration" than "those fifth-stringers who ended up playing after everyone else cancelled".

Doubt they've got the brains or the balls for it, though.

Revolver

This is hilarious. Booking a cover band in the first place, then they pull out a few days before. Oh boy. Get the C Street Band, hehe.

I wonder if Springsteen himself contacted them. I mean, obviously they're Springsteen fans, and by attending they were essentially misrepresenting his work.

They're saying they pulled out because they respect Springsteen. Shouldn't have taken the gig in the first place if they knew anything about how their hero views Trump.

"We felt that we had to make it known that we didn't want to seem disrespectful, in any way, shape or form, to Bruce and his music and his band," Forte says. "I don't want to upset them. We owe everything to him and our gratitude and respect to the band is imperative above all else. It became clear to us that this wasn't working and we just had to do what we thought was the right thing to do and that was to pull out."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-band-drops-out-of-donald-trump-party-w461203

I heard that they've actually played gigs with actual members of the E Street Band before, which I'm sure drives attendance numbers.

Probably worried that they might not get that opportunity anymore if they went through with playing the inauguration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom