• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Trump can't book talent for inauguration. Trump Tweet: Nuh uh, your face!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Larry the Cable Guy?

Nah. He's too busy getting paid to be in ads for indigestion stuff.

BTW, Larry is a wuss who claims to hate political correctness, but will block you if you address him in politically incorrect ways (such as calling him a "white pussy who wants a safe space from Muslims")

Kal_El

The band from my local town college Olivet Nazarene University is playing at the event. The college is also the home of the Chicago Bears training camp. This is a disaster at every level. Anyone current name brand act that agrees to perform is risking his career.

Iejc.jpg

Chichikov

What does he think of the Republican frontrunner? “I love Donald Trump,” he said. “He’s a great Dickensian character. You know what I mean? There are certain people like Arnold, Babe Ruth, that are bigger than life. But I don’t know how that translates”—he let out a laugh—“to running the world.”
Dickensian?
I mean, it could be clever trolling, but I'm going to go with "Sly doesn't know what that word means".

Loxley

Trump feels like he'd view Scrooge as a role model (aside from the "he eventually sympathizes with the poor" thing), so, sure, in that way he's Dickensian -_-

CazTGG

Fake as this obviously may be, it would be hilarious if Trump had to outsource his inauguration performers.

EDIT: I can already see Trump tweeting it out: "So many different groups from different countries have come to perform for me in my moment of victory. Greatest inauguration ever!"

The band from my local town college Olivet Nazarene University is playing at the event. The college is also the home of the Chicago Bears training camp. This is a disaster at every level. Anyone current name brand act that agrees to perform is risking his career.

My home town as well. Was about to post my displeasure about this very thing. I'm almost down the street from the college...and honestly, the school's support of 'ol Donald does not shock me.

Kal_El

My home town as well. Was about to post my displeasure about this very thing. I'm almost down the street from the college...and honestly, the school's support of 'ol Donald does not shock me.

Especially Bowling have 2 apartments in Trump tower. I live a few miles away and Olivet basically owns the town. Displeasure is an accurate word. Also shout out to my KankaBourBradley fam

Bulzeeb

he should say fuck it, he knows that the media hates him so he should go full dark side and get the rights to perform the imperial march during the celebration, that could be really something :p

Lucreto

he should say fuck it, he knows that the media hates him so he should go full dark side and get the rights to perform the imperial march during the celebration, that could be really something :p

He wouldn't even need to get the rights he would just play it.

It wouldn't be the first time he played music without permission.

Syriel

He wouldn't even need to get the rights he would just play it.

It wouldn't be the first time he played music without permission.

I'm not a Trump supporter, but there is exactly -zero- proof that his campaign used music without securing the legal right to do so.

I'm going. Please don't set bombs.

And he better book Beyonce like Obama did.

Obama probably going to have better entertainment at his going away party than Trump's inauguration.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm not a Trump supporter, but there is exactly -zero- proof that his campaign used music without securing the legal right to do so.

All things being equal, you wouldn't defer to bands assertions that this is true? Like, your prior is towards band management licensing songs to a xenophobic politician without the band knowing, rather than the campaign being sloppy on their licensing? Even given the reporting of Trump not paying contractors and other contract violations? That's the benefit of the doubt taken to a new extreme.

Verelios

Obama probably going to have better entertainment at his going away party than Trump's inauguration.
A quick Google search would tell you otherwise.

Ishan

He probably did . But most politicians do ... It's become almost standard practise in campaigns so I don't particularly blame him on this .

jfkgoblue

It's an evangelical christian school... what did you guys expect?

Ishan

Someday I will read up on the sects of Christianity (catholic Protestant evangelical born again and so on) they don't seem in the current 2000s as fractured as Sunni Shia and other marginal sects of Islam but at Christian dominant places they do seem to have pretty diff views ... I say someday because at some point inspite of being agnostic I'll have to make sense of the gazillion sects within Hinduism so that's gonna take a while :)

Syriel

Queen might not have liked it, but they wouldn't have any say if the license was paid for.

If you read your own source past the headline, you'll see that the article says the same thing.

All things being equal, you wouldn't defer to bands assertions that this is true? Like, your prior is towards band management licensing songs to a xenophobic politician without the band knowing, rather than the campaign being sloppy on their licensing? Even given the reporting of Trump not paying contractors and other contract violations? That's the benefit of the doubt taken to a new extreme.

You of all people I would have expected to be more familiar with copyright and music licensing and how it all works. Now if you had said that ASCAP or BMI were accusing Trump of not paying the license fees, I would agree that benefit of the doubt probably falls on them. But you're talking about people who, due to the nature of how PROs are setup, complaining that they don't like the person who licensed it.

That's fine. They don't have to like him individually, but so long as the campaign secured the appropriate licenses from the PROs (and there are no claims that it didn't, only that individual artists with work managed by the PROs didn't like Trump using the music), then Trump and Co. are legally within their rights to use it.

1) Rolling Stones - ASCAP / BMI
2) Adele - ASCAP / BMI
3) Twisted Sister - ASCAP / BMI
4) Neil Young - ASCAP
5) Steven Tyler - ASCAP / BMI (BMI specifically for Dream On)
6) R.E.M. - ASCAP / BMI

Maybe instead of just spamming a random link, you might want to actually address the point directly. Because anyone who spends more than 30 seconds at that Raw Story link and does just the tiniest bit of research would find that the list of artists posted actually supports my point, not yours.

A quick Google search would tell you otherwise.

Actually, a quick Google search would agree with me. Perhaps you should take your own advice and google US copyright law, PROs and music licensing.

Damn boy, have you been living under a rock ?

No, I just have a basic understanding of how ASCAP/BMI blanket licensing works.

If you're going to make a smart ass quip, perhaps you should do just the tiniest bit of research on the subject first. ;)

It's always amazing how the general public's view of copyright law and licensing seems to be colored by their like or dislike of the person using the IP.

For example, in this thread none of you seem to like the fact that the law and the standard PRO license agreements give Trump the right to use covered music. The law is on his side, but we've got a handful of posters who see Trump as a vile man, so they'll argue that he is in the wrong for using the music.

In the Star Trek Axanar thread there were folks complaining about CBS coming down on the Axanar team because it was a "fan film" and CBS should "respect the fans" despite the fact that CBS has the law on its side.

Copyright law and licensing doesn't care about morals. It is very black and white as far as rights are concerned.

Trump has done so many things worthy of criticism, focus on those. Complaining about one of the few public things that he very likely did correctly is a poor argument that is very easy for Trump supporters to knock down.

sphagnum

Banned
Someday I will read up on the sects of Christianity (catholic Protestant evangelical born again and so on) they don't seem in the current 2000s as fractured as Sunni Shia and other marginal sects of Islam but at Christian dominant places they do seem to have pretty diff views ... I say someday because at some point inspite of being agnostic I'll have to make sense of the gazillion sects within Hinduism so that's gonna take a while :)

Christianity is extremely fractured and has been since the very beginning.

Wilsongt

So, Trump can't book artists, now he has replaced the announcer that has done announcements for inaugurations all the way back to Einsenhower.

Savitar

He didn't pay for the use of music. He doesn't pay people for other people's work. He doesn't care. This isn't a hard concept to grasp.

We're not paying for your damn wall either.

Depending on how Trump goes Canadians might want to build the wall to keep him out.

Then again a wall is completely pointless in the day of things like airplanes.

Funny how that works huh.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So who does he have so far?

Most major celebrities lean left, but there's still quite a few that are solid Republicans.

- Kid Rock
- Adam Corolla
- Jon Voight
- James Woods
- Sylvester Stallone
- Adam Sandler

Gutek

So who does he have so far?

Most major celebrities lean left, but there's still quite a few that are solid Republicans.

- Kid Rock
- Adam Corolla
- Jon Voight
- James Woods
- Sylvester Stallone
- Adam Sandler

Wait, Stallone is gonna be at the inauguration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom