• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadsic

Wasn't there a piece of this report debunked? The part about the lawyer being in like the Czech Republic or something

that makes me think at least some portion of this document is bullshit

i would prefer it to be true though so we can move on from this terrible impending presidency

danthefan

Gerald Ford took over the presidency after Nixon stepped down. He is the only U.S. president to have never been elected into office directly by the people. He wasn't even on the ticket for Nixon's re-election campaign in '72. Spiro Agnew was still vice-president at the time. Ford was the House Minority Leader.

Thanks, I probably should have just looked that up.

Even if all this stuff is proven and verified, I'm not sure what difference it will make. Trump is coated in teflon.

RDreamer

Wasn't there a piece of this report debunked? The part about the lawyer being in like the Czech Republic or something

i would prefer it to be true though so we can move on from this terrible impending presidency

The report itself says it wasn't totally sure about that particular piece of information.

It turns out there was a man in Prague around that time, but it was a different Michael Cohen (same name, same birthday, too).

To me that actually makes the report more believable.

kavanf1

Regardless of whether the info is true or false, it's absolutely delightful to see Trump falling victim to his own tactics. I'd love to think that it might make him think twice about spreading lies and misinformation, but everything about his character indicates he's far too narcissistic to be capable of that level of self-reflection.

The report itself says it wasn't totally sure about that particular piece of information.

It turns out there was a man in Prague around that time, but it was a different Michael Cohen (same name, same birthday, too).

To me that actually makes the report more believable.

Proves they are verifying the information, before publishing. Well, that was the plan.

BowieZ

Banned
I learned this as the old phrase "don't feed the trolls".
I don't like the idea of tarring him as a "troll" or even trolling. He could just be unleashing frustration about something he is unhealthily obsessing about. It's not the same thing and we should always treat people respectfully and with the benefit of the doubt.

Game Guru

Thanks, I probably should have just looked that up.

Even if all this stuff is proven and verified, I'm not sure what difference it will make. Trump is coated in teflon.

In fact, Spiro Agnew was actually forced to resign due to his own scandals which is why Gerald Ford had to be appointed VP by Nixon. If push came to shove, there is legal precedent for Paul Ryan to fall up in case both Trump and Pence resigned, since he is the highest level Republican in the House as Gerald Ford was during the Watergate Scandal, and heck, thanks to the presidential line of succession, he wouldn't need to be made VP like Gerald Ford had been first.

If by debunked you mean he claimed he was never in Prague by producing his Passport, that evidence is redundant since he could have easily moved in/out the country without the requirement of a stamp on it. Unless more substantial claims have been produced, I know he said he was at a baseball game, but has that itself been corroborated? If not then that is as bullshit as you claim some of the document could be.

pswii60

If by debunked you mean he claimed he was never in Prague by producing his Passport, that evidence is redundant since he could have easily moved in/out the country without the requirement of a stamp on it. Unless more substantial claims have been produced, I know he said he was at a baseball game, but has that itself been corroborated? If not then that is as bullshit as you claim some of the document could be.

Most people in positions like that will have two passports, especially if they visit Israel and then certain other countries in the Middle East where they could be refused entry due to stamps. So yeah, producing 'a passport' isn't much proof.

danthefan

He could have flown to basically any Western European country except the UK or Ireland and made his way to Prague without getting a Czech stamp on his passport.

BowieZ

Banned
I doubt he's Russian, but definitely a troll trying to conjure further disinformation. There's plenty of idiotic Americans willing to do that without monetary incentives.
He isn't a troll. (Trust me, or dig if you must.)

But it would be great if we could continue to discuss the topic at-hand (maturely and respectfully, and when making claims or sharing opinions, please have a factual basis otherwise you're going to risk appearing like you're trolling).

Can't wait for the morning coverage lol.

BowieZ

Banned
He could have flown to basically any Western European country except the UK or Ireland and made his way to Prague without getting a Czech stamp on his passport.
Indeed. There being a different Michael Cohen in Prague, and Michael Cohen being in Rome, don't really prove or disprove anything.

schengen_eu_countries.jpg

Dryk

Buzzfeed is a failing pile of garbage
Ignoring the fact that this is just a re-shitpost from Trump's Twitter can we talk about Trump's tendency to determine a person or organisation's worth on their business success? When it comes to media that's an especially boneheaded thing to do, saying that a news organisation is only worthwhile if they're profitable or successful is exactly how we got into this nightmare in the first place.

Indeed. There being a different Michael Cohen in Prague, and Michael Cohen being in Rome, don't really prove or disprove anything.
Yeah that angle is basically worthless. It would be easy to prove he was in the Schengen zone at the time but beyond that it's a lot hard to prove or disprove where he actually was.

The better question might be when was he in Europe last?

Personally I think the item in the Buzzfeed report that probably has the most potential truth is how Trump's team were in active communication with Russian contacts who represented the Krelmin at key points during the campaign.

This is something that could actually be uncovered if a real investigation is started and certain people face the real possibility of prison time. They'll start squealing in no time if there is an actual cover-up.

Trump's approval ratings will be key. If he drops below 30% among the general public and below 50% among Republicans, then Republicans in Congress and the establishment may choose to hit the detonate button on Trump before he can take the whole party down. That's when you'll start seeing actual leaks coming from Republicans and whistle blowers. It'll be a huge embarrassment in the short term, but they'll probably see President Pence as a better standard bearer for the GOP. They'll also regain leverage from the fringes, tea-partyers, and other elements of the hardcore base because they can say, "We tried your anti-establishment guy and it nearly brought down the country. We're now going with an establishment candidate and you're going to fall in line"

jelly

I practically never get stamped when travelling. It doesn't prove anything if he doesn't have a stamp. I'm sure the EU authorities will have flight information if he did go to Europe in some capacity.

mo60

The better question might be when was he in Europe last?

Personally I think the item in the Buzzfeed report that probably has the most potential truth is how Trump's team were in active communication with Russian contacts who represented the Krelmin at key points during the campaign.

This is something that could actually be uncovered if a real investigation is started and certain people face the real possibility of prison time. They'll start squealing in no time if there is an actual cover-up.

Trump's approval ratings will be key. If he drops below 30% among the general public and below 50% among Republicans, then Republicans in Congress and the establishment may choose to hit the detonate button on Trump before he can take the whole party down. That's when you'll start seeing actual leaks coming from Republicans and whistle blowers. It'll be a huge embarrassment in the short term, but they'll probably see President Pence as a better standard bearer for the GOP. They'll also regain leverage from the fringes, tea-partyers, and other elements of the hardcore base because they can say, "We tried your anti-establishment guy and it nearly brought down the country. We're now going with an establishment candidate and you're going to fall in line"

I'm not even sure if trump's approval rating will drop that low anytime soon unless their is more to this story. I don't think there is any escape from trump for the republicans at this point. If he gets impeached the entire republican party will be damaged. How damaged I don't know at this point.

schengen_eu_countries.jpg

Plus one in the US, watching baseball with his son, don't forget that one!

Honestly, people (myself included) have mocked Trump's verbal mannerisims since, you know, he sounds like an idiot, but when it comes to situations like this, they are so effective it is scary. He parrots, literally parrots, the same words to such an extent that any person who is even casually following the political climate will just soak in these key words "False news" "Fake news" "Croocked". The amount of well-educated and usually moderate people swallow his tripe easier than any PR team that existed before him since the political landscape is so vast and fast-moving now that people self edit what they feel like are key points; and what does he do? devolve every point into an easy to use word - regardless if it is a complete an utter lie.

People already discrediting Cohen's location here, despite the evidence being largely 'accepted' by both the media, the Kremlin, the intelligence agencies, and even parts of the GOP, aren't all actively supporting Trump's office, they have just been suckered into believing it.

It really scares you when you think of what else he can do with this strategy, if this is merely his prelude to the next 4/8 years.

I practically never get stamped when travelling. It doesn't prove anything if he doesn't have a stamp. I'm sure the EU authorities will have flight information if he did go to Europe in some capacity.

I've been to Prague a couple of times and even forgot my ID the last time. No passport, no ID.
They let me on the bus to Prague when I showed them my student ID xD

bluethree

yeah all this talk about the passport and it's like, surely there are other ways to prove he was there?

Kaiterra

Banned
Ignoring the fact that this is just a re-shitpost from Trump's Twitter can we talk about Trump's tendency to determine a person or organisation's worth on their business success? When it comes to media that's an especially boneheaded thing to do, saying that a news organisation is only worthwhile if they're profitable or successful is exactly how we got into this nightmare in the first place.

I mean it's not like he judges their business success on objective measures at all either, he just claims that anyone who opposes him is a failure.

Anyone in the EU except the UK could just start in one place and end up in a completely different location. I could end up in denmark or sweden within 12 hours and from there germany/austria etc.

Alx

Are we ignoring sources associated with US and British intelligence community for some reason?

Didn't Trump say on stage it was a disgrace that documents from a confidential meeting were leaked to the press ? Whether the allegations are true or not, he does confirm that it went through US intelligence and not some random internet forum.

Are we seriously still thinking this is 4chan, get a grip people its way past a small time isolated rumor. This went through the agencies first not some backyard website.

Cronen

Apologies if posted already:

Ex-MI6 officer Christopher Steele in hiding after Trump memo

An ex-MI6 officer who is believed to have prepared a memo claiming Russia has compromising material on US President-elect Donald Trump is now in hiding, the BBC understands.

Christopher Steele, who runs a London-based intelligence firm, is believed to have left his Berkshire home this week.

BBC news correspondent Paul Wood said he understood Mr Steele left his home in Berkshire on either Tuesday or Wednesday, before he was publicly named, and was now "in hiding".

He said he had been told Mr Steele had asked his neighbour to look after his cats.

Our correspondent said he had been shown the memos about Mr Trump in October last year, when he was told Mr Steele was "in fear of his life", having spoken out about potential Russian involvement in Mr Trump's election.

He said he had been told by members of the intelligence community that Mr Steele was "extremely, highly regarded" and was thought of as "competent".

More at the link.

OP hasn't been updated.

So I'm reading this is a prank now? Or not?

Is there a summary post somewhere?

It's in the OP...

MOD EDIT:

People keep posting this picture "from the document" as evidence that the story was an elaborate prank from 4chan:
5g5iCwa.jpg

This picture is NOT IN THE DOCUMENT. It's a hoax to make the rest of the document look fake to people who wouldn't bother reading the whole thing.
Whether or not the story turns out to be legit or not, this is a pretty obvious manipulation and shows there is an active attempt by a lot of people online to spread misinformation about this story.

...did you even try to skim?

Anyone in the EU except the UK could just start in one place and end up in a completely different location. I could end up in denmark or sweden within 12 hours and from there germany/austria etc.
Even from the UK to another EU country, I don't think you get stamped. I've never been, although I'm in the EU already, so maybe they do for Americans.

MilkBeard

I saw this post on Neogaf but didn't actually realize how big of a deal it was, so I skipped it for a day or two.

But wow. I really hope the US intelligence does something with this. I hope they dig up as much evidence as possible to impeach Trump.

Let's do this.

Cipherr

OP hasn't been updated.

So I'm reading this is a prank now? Or not?

Is there a summary post somewhere?

What the hell are you guys using for news sources? Im asking genuinely. I know that 4chan tried to discredit it by faking images and claiming it was a prank, but Ive been through no less than 10 different news sites today and NONE of them are claiming/posting the bolded. Yet Gaffer after gaffer keeps coming in asking if its a hoax? How the fuck does 4chan spread this shit so fast?

Is it reddit or something?

RM8

What the hell are you guys using for news sources? Im asking genuinely. I know that 4chan tried to discredit it by faking images and claiming it was a prank, but Ive been through no less than 10 different news sites today and NONE of them are claiming/posting the bolded. Yet Gaffer after gaffer keeps coming in asking if its a hoax? How the fuck does 4chan spread this shit so fast?

Is it reddit or something?
I'd say it's more likely for gaffers to browse 4chan, than it is for the general public.

Grug

It's scary how much misinformation some random anonymous edgelords can propagate in one day.

It really is. Teach your kids critical thinking skills people, because the current political environment is making intellectual slaves of the people who don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom