• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reports on Russian connections to Trump [Summaries in OP] #GoldenShowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're pathetic. Some sad people have been going on posters' Twitter accounts to try and out them for having some view that doesn't conform with the GAF consensus.

Well a lot of these people come in here and play dumb or repeat the 4chan thing and then you look at their post history and determine they're just shitposting. All it takes is 30 seconds and a couple clicks so it isn't really pathetic at all.

Edit: I actually have a mental list of co-workers that don't wash their hands in the bathroom. Just waiting for the right moment.

ZOONAMI

Without some sort of legislation though, you're really talking about something that's maybe unconstitutional. You're talking about targeting American citizens with intelligence services that are really intended for use on foreign governments and threats. Sure, Obama would probably do that somewhat responsibly, but Trump would likely turn it onto BLM, Planned Parenthood, DNC leaders, business leaders, etc. It's like the Patriot Act on steroids without any legislation curbing it.

It's a dangerous precedent without some sort of legislation governing it's scope and how it can be employed domestically.

The FBI did it to Hillary, which is why Comey is now gonna get dragged. He was politicizing and making public comments on an investigation before an election.

Should have stayed with the FBI unless they were going to charge her with something. After the election is a different story, they can release all the details on their fruitless investigation after the election because it doesn't potentially change the outcome of the presidency.

Audioboxer

Seriously far left is in part why we are in this mess so I would never let it grow here without a fight.

It's not the far left. I've misused saying that once or twice in ignorance. It's quite reactionary to pit far left vs far right.

IMO what it really is is many shades of leftists all arguing for a power struggle about how this side will go forward. Not just voters vs voters either, but the parties are even rife with fighting. See the Labour party in the UK, or the current Democrats in America. Both unelectable, both in tatters from ideological fighting which has filtered through to the voters. 90% of the arguing on GAF is between liberals and liberals. The board doesn't have a big right presence, and many of whom are on the right here keep quiet.

At this point I feel like I'd need a political degree to truthfully talk about it all with a genuine air of confidence and not just my biased, slightly ignorant brain.

However my best shot will continue to be it's an ongoing battle between leftists, liberals, authoritarians, progressives, regressives, neo-marxists, Tumblr and more. Well, okay, maybe not Tumblr, but there is a one heck of a portal to jump through viewing Tumblr leftists in their natural habitat lol. Still not exactly far left, just the shades of this side showing up again. People valuing individualism before conforming.

Strictly speaking all this diversity is a good thing, objectively speaking it's causing the battle against the right to be incredibly difficult. They largely tend to unify and give up individualism for behaving like a tribe. The left pushes to unify in a tribe in desperation to tackle the right, but there is so much push back to conformity because so many on this side value individualism first. Many think part of being on the left or being liberal should be treating life like a battle of ideas and all things should be discussed at length. Others on this side do not want to get involved in the some of the same topics the right discusses, as that is almost blasphemy to approach something they often use as rhetoric. Most notably it often comes down to things like immigration, cultures, gender, and many other social issues that some on the left have turned into dirty words in their reactionary angst against the right. This side tends to hold "all" the scientists as well, and where there is science and biology there is a lot of fighting on the social issues. Individualism doesn't always play nicely with science. Have a look and see how postmodernism fares in front of most of the scientific community.

It's just not good times man to be a leftist or liberal right now. The fighting amongst us will continue on for a while and I really have no idea how or even if it's going to get better any time soon. I'm trying my best not to be as much of an asshole when espousing my views. I do stand by them, but I have to realise as I've mentioned above many on the left will read my posts and call them bullshit. Which is fair enough but I do try my best to articulate what I feel, and I certainly don't post to troll or bait.

Davide

I completely agree. GAF is the purest definition of a far-left echo chamber on the internet, right next to those small, sheltered Tumblr communities.

Trump sucks, yeah. He's unfit for president, and he's a terrible human being. But, you wouldn't dare speak out against Hilary during the '16 election here.

It's true.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Eh it won't matter when the robots and AI are running the show anyway. Then we'll all just be Robopublicans. or dead

Caja 117

This thread was more awesome when people were just talking about goldenshowers and a freaking MI6 spy with the most MI6 name in Christopher Steele.

Personally as soon as I heard the name, I pictured Pierce Brosman in the Taylor of Panama.

ZOONAMI

This thread was more awesome when people were just talking about goldenshowers and a freaking MI6 spy with the most MI6 name in Christopher Steele.

Personally as soon as I heard the name, I pictured Pierce Brosman in the Taylor of Panama.

Agreed. Need to get back on topic of Christopher Steele and Russian golden showers.

gaugebozo

I mean, I did feel the need to make an entire thread about how Hillary bashing was usually a way to get your throat punched here.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1258653

It ended up reaching a good solid consensus, but it did get bad around here for a while. People were jumping on anyone that didn't agree with their views like a pack of wolves. In many ways IMO disregarding the ideals their party is supposed to stand for in the process, which made me the most angry. I especially remember that thread where a poster admitted he will no longer vote for Trump. That shit was it's peak, it was embarrassing.

Hard times call for hard measures, and they sure were some hard times. It pretty much came down to good vs. evil for a lot if people. I can understand that, but for a while I would not call GAF open minded at all. Which pissed me iff because that's what our entire Democracy is supposed to he based on. I always stood up for that in every thread.

Anyway. I don't know what this has to do with anything, or why I typed all this.
Uh, you mean that thread where the Bernie guy admitted he didn't vote for Trump? The guy went on and in about this, muddying up threads with bullshit, then couldn't pull the trigger in the booth.

Reeks

I completely agree. GAF is the purest definition of a far-left echo chamber on the internet, right next to those small, sheltered Tumblr communities.

[/SPOILER]

The community to which you contribute? Why do it then? Moderation does not equate 'echo chamber' or censorship. Its deign serves as baseline of quality control. In that respect GAF is one of the few forums where fruitful dialog is fostered.

We digress a bit when people bait post, throw around pejoratives and derail. This is generally when they themselves feel challenged (and uncomfortably so). And yes, admittedly, It's difficult to see flaws in one's own argument. It might even feel personal... The problem is that some people are thrown into the whims of emotion and lash out, favoring the offense to a much needed look in the mirror. The conversation is thus redirected and when others respond accordingly, the poster is falsely justified in crying 'beehive' because now it feels even more personal (and it might be). Importantly, the bait and switcher genuinely feels attacked which is paramount for the feed-forward nature of this trajectory. At this point constructive conversations take a backseat to personal attacks. And this can happen on both sides, which is additional damage to the misdirection. Banning occurs to mitigate this, not to generate a shelter.

The key is to take ownership. I've been wrong and am better for seeing it. I've seen again and again posters who seemingly diametrically opposed each other come to mutual understanding. Edit: That should always be the goal, not to be right or to 'win'.

Is this really a can of worms you wanna open up Mr. "I wanna stab people with farm tools 24/7"?
Would be a shame if
That dossier
Leaked

Wow this individual impersonated me on this forum, damn them

That's why I save all of your tweets. Don't worry, though, I take good care of it; got it all in my 'Emergency Plan to Destroy the Justice League' folder on the desktop, but it's admin-only access.

ACTIVATE EMERGENCY X

They're pathetic. Some sad people have been going on posters' Twitter accounts to try and out them for having some view that doesn't conform with the GAF consensus.

You should be able to defend what you believe in regardless of the forum (both figuratively and literally in this case). If you are unable to do so, there is either a problem with you or a problem with your idea. You can either get better at defending it or realize you're probably wrong.

This is how ideas work. This is how ideology works. If you're brave enough to go on Twitter and blame Islam for terrorism, you should be brave enough to handle the rebuttals.

On NeoGAF, of all places, you are going to receive a more measured response than you would get elsewhere on the internet, whether people agree with you or not. You should be grateful to be challenged. It's an opportunity to prove yourself. People have changed my mind on GAF and I have changed the minds of others. You want groupthink and memes go to 4chan or Reddit. You want somebody to dress you down and ask you to answer for every angle of your ideology, welcome to NeoGAF.

I don't know why, but I read that three times as "Pierce Brosman in the Tailored Pajamas."

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

Trump sucks, yeah. He's unfit for president, and he's a terrible human being. But, you wouldn't dare speak out against Hilary during the '16 election here. IIRC, any threads even vaguely critical of Hillary were locked.

Inb4 I get banned and/or lynched for this post
Can agree with this - any criticism of her and stuff she's been involved with is glossed over here very quickly. She is definitely held to a different standard. Not to discount how awful Donald Trump is.

Please steer this discussion away from internal bickering, political metacommentary and witch hunts. This includes diving through post history to discredit people. Either engage people in discussion, or don't. If they've done something banworthy, inform a moderator or administrator. "You're an idiot so we shouldn't take you seriously because of this post you made in June last year" isn't discussion, even if the person is an idiot. Similarly, complaints about and defense of neogaf being or not being an echochamber are not the sorts of discussions we want going on in here.

Please steer this discussion away from internal bickering, political metacommentary and witch hunts. This includes diving through post history to discredit people. Either engage people in discussion, or don't. If they've done something banworthy, inform a moderator or administrator. "You're an idiot so we shouldn't take you seriously because of this post you made in June last year" isn't discussion, even if the person is an idiot.
So we'll discuss the trial and arrest of Bronson in the private mod meeting then? I've got the dossier and everything

lazygecko

I'll do you one better

51na63d2p6l._ac_ul320efqbm.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
A senator made a comment after the closed session about it being worse than he thought.
That was regarding Russian hacking, not golden showers.

Most recent on-topic post was some witness who witnessed something is getting interviewed by some news source sometime tomorrow.

IrishNinja

so GAF = "far left echo chamber" but rode for hillary? some of ya'll can't even get your narratives straight

5% blocked and reported. Don't have time for this. I wish Bish was around to tell me what to think. [ugh]Ugh.[/ugh]

this place really is different post-bish, still kinda wish we knew what happened but dude is missed

You should be able to defend what you believe in regardless of the forum (both figuratively and literally in this case). If you are unable to do so, there is either a problem with you or a problem with your idea. You can either get better at defending it or realize you're probably wrong.

This is how ideas work. This is how ideology works. If you're brave enough to go on Twitter and blame Islam for terrorism, you should be brave enough to handle the rebuttals.

On NeoGAF, of all places, you are going to receive a more measured response than you would get elsewhere on the internet, whether people agree with you or not. You should be grateful to be challenged. It's an opportunity to prove yourself. People have changed my mind on GAF and I have changed the minds of others. You want groupthink and memes go to 4chan or Reddit. You want somebody to dress you down and ask you to answer for every angle of your ideology, welcome to NeoGAF.

dhMeAzK.gif

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Is there a website that ya'll would reccome to track the smaller details of this story in one place? I am swamped but fascinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom