• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Somebody with Photoshop-Fu and a burner account, make Barret Caucasian and post it in that thread. The meltdown will immortalize the one who posted it as the catylist of 'The Great Reeing'.
How dare you put someone to actual work, just link to the earlier thread where they claimed he was not black enough so the angry black trope shouldn't apply to Barret.
The trailer was when there was a huge light on Barret that brightened everything. It's what light bulbs do, brighten things/persons/rooms but, ERA believe the correct use of light by Square-Enix staff is racist

Actually, it occurred to me that all fictional characters are stereotypes or caricatures to some extent.

I mean, how do you write a character without leaning into some kind of trope or stereotype? Usually a combination of several, I think?
Even deliberately and obviously subverting well known tropes would be something of a trope in itself, surely?

Meaning if you write a character then someone somewhere would be able to find a way that this character is a slight on the people who share certain characteristics with that character?
When you look to be outraged or angry with anything, you will always find ways to be upset with something.

Also, using TV Tropes as a barometer for your moral compass or whether or not something is "racist" doesn't strike me as something that normal people do.

Thaedolus

That Barret thread almost seems like a parody. They must just have a zero tolerance policy on disagreeing that something is oppressive if someone brings it up...but that almost seems too logical

Fake

Gold Member
Nepenth actually is, she was doxxed recently. She was too busy being angry at whitey to even notice.
I'm, so what the point? At least inside a group of 50 one is black?

Still there are more white than black speaking as a black.

nush

Still there are more white than black speaking as a black

You are right, saying you are from a minority group gives members status and ban protection. There's a lot of member there just trolling the most crazy stuff because nobody will speak out against a minority group, they just believe everything.

You are right, saying you are from a minority group gives members status and ban protection. There's a lot of member there just trolling the most crazy stuff because nobody will speak out against a minority group, they just believe everything.
Obviously it's important to give voices to those who might be from minority backgrounds but when those voices take precedent over everyone else's, you don't have a platform for equality. (if that ever is even truly achievable...)

ILLtown

It's another example of how silly their ideology is.

On forums I've run or moderated, the rules are there partially to make sure people are treated equally, so nobody is discriminated against for a characteristic like race or sex, for example.

With SJWs, they treat people differently based on those characteristics, so a person of a certain race or sex can get away with saying things that another person wouldn't get away with and certain groups receive extra protection.

I remember seeing a thread on here back when the mods were pretty nuts too, and someone posted screenshots of a conversation they'd had with a mod where he admitted to protecting someone from being perma-banned because they were black. He said that they had had over 10 temporary bans, while usually people would get a perma-ban much sooner than that, but the justification for this was that he was "a voice that white people needed to hear". What I don't get is, if you've had to ban the guy over 10 times for breaking the rules and being a dickhead, why is he a voice that I need to hear? Just cos he's a black guy?

The SJW method of "treating people differently depending on race, sex etc." always leads to in-fighting and arguing amongst the different groups, with certain groups or group members sometimes feeling aggrieved, yet they still seem to think that it's a good idea.

Their response to this is usually to be sarcastic and say "Oh, boo hoo! Poor white people are so oppressed!", except, as a white person myself, I'm not saying that I feel "oppressed" by this shit. I just think it's dumb and a bad idea. It creates tension where there doesn't need to be any.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I wonder how offensive and problematic Mario is.
Zero. White people don't care, and it's fair game to bash Whities because "they have so much and everyone is rich, so they should give back and take a few jabs"

Fat stereotyped Italian blue collar worker with a stupid accent. Pretty sure no Italians care.

Even dumber, Japanese video game makers created the character complete with almost 40 year old "save the princess" storyline, where Peach dresses up in a pink dress acting like an idiot.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Y...you mean being a hero takes more than motor skills and a lack of education?

Ymir

Apparently the person who started the Barret thread was who used to be black American psycho on GAF so that thread makes a whole lot more sense if that's the case. I remember that guy going full Nation of Islam and wanting to murder people a lot.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lol, poor guy is already banned for something else, even Resetera mods don't care about our heroes on the front lines.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
This is the problem with "TV Tropes" and other bullshit places that are obsessed with tropes. They have to try harder and harder to come up with "content" and so they "find" less obvious talking points and push them.

Of all places, TVTropes is the most immune to this crap.
If you check out their forums, they did have an incursion of SJW/you're all racist types a long while ago and quashed it pretty easily. Simply, the way the site works makes it pretty difficult to inject ideology into everything. Whatever you're describing is either an example of a given trope or it isn't, there are very few accepted cases of in between (even if you abuse the word "subverted"). Since the site has pages for racism related tropes, all the REE types have just been sent there to fight among themselves. Those are the least viewed trope pages anyway, so a mod only needs to come in every now and then to tidy up a bit and just let the infighting continue.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I remember seeing a thread on here back when the mods were pretty nuts too, and someone posted screenshots of a conversation they'd had with a mod where he admitted to protecting someone from being perma-banned because they were black. He said that they had had over 10 temporary bans, while usually people would get a perma-ban much sooner than that, but the justification for this was that he was "a voice that white people needed to hear". What I don't get is, if you've had to ban the guy over 10 times for breaking the rules and being a dickhead, why is he a voice that I need to hear? Just cos he's a black guy?

That's the fundamental flaw. People who score high on intersectionality are not necessarily good. Suffering discrimination doesn't make you good or entitle you anything

Society owes to you the ending of the discrimination. Nothing else.

But according to these radicals, these people just because they suffer from some form of discrimination, deserve to be shining beacons to illuminate and teach us all. And that's how people like that reset admin get elevated and because ultimately their position of privilege depends on the continuation of their status as discriminated victims, they relish the chance to record more grievances against society. Truth is, no one how progressive or liberal can keep up with that escalation of self-victimization.

Fundamentally, not every black person in america is Martin Luther King. But that's a tough lesson to swallow for some.

Lux R7

Zero. White people don't care, and it's fair game to bash Whities because "they have so much and everyone is rich, so they should give back and take a few jabs"

Fat stereotyped Italian blue collar worker with a stupid accent. Pretty sure no Italians care.

Even dumber, Japanese video game makers created the character complete with almost 40 year old "save the princess" storyline, where Peach dresses up in a pink dress acting like an idiot.

italian here, i can confirm that we don't care or at least that i've never met a single italian person offended by Mario.

pulga

Banned
I quote:

Meanwhile:

4dLvbPG.png

qYx6hTJ.png

Does she even fuckin read what she writes lol?

"Oh you can like the character, but you'll get banned if you do"

I'm still waiting for Jawmuncher's ban. He posted the same exact thing. It's unreal.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
You mean every Nintendo char? No much. You're there when they guess 'Link' in 'BOTW' was a girl, not a boy, right? After the reveal, nobody talk that much.

I remember some people actually bashing other posters for not recognizing the subtleties of the female form on the trailer protagonist... and then going on a weird tirade about the curvature of the calves and the dimensions between abdomen and chest... it got real weird tbh.

• LOL
Reactions: dwr

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
You mean every Nintendo char? No much. You're there when they guess 'Link' in 'BOTW' was a girl, not a boy, right? After the reveal, nobody talk that much.

People were pissed for a while when Link wasn't a girl. It was hard to miss how much e-vitriol was spewed over that whole debacle.

Fake

Gold Member
People were pissed for a while when Link wasn't a girl. It was hard to miss how much e-vitriol was spewed over that whole debacle.

They got pissed, but not in the same way they're doing today. And, from 'today' resetera standarts, I would probably get banned from there because if I remember right, my post was 'Why people ask for a female Link when we have Zelda'.
Still find stupid people asking for a game char to change the sex.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
ReOpen protest signs, but the one on the right reminds me of ERA a bit. Especially when the defend their ability to use straight up racist terms.

sub-buzz-86-1587743951-7.jpg

Ymir

"Funny thing is, I know for a FACT that the whites defending this shit be the first ones to piss they pants and say chill out when black folks get tired of they shit and start moving guerilla and militant for real. I've been laughing at these niggas "shits fucked up, it's justified" for the past 24 hours."

That's quite the escalation to talking about Barret on a "video game" forum

YukiOnna

"Funny thing is, I know for a FACT that the whites defending this shit be the first ones to piss they pants and say chill out when black folks get tired of they shit and start moving guerilla and militant for real. I've been laughing at these niggas "shits fucked up, it's justified" for the past 24 hours."

That's quite the escalation to talking about Barret on a "video game" forum
Maybe they should visit InfoWarz more.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Search for posts by RiskyChris

Start with this thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/can-...rs-other-recommendations-welcomed-itt.401886/

Then came the LGBT community thread which acted as a beacon for the mentally ill types who then went on to infiltrate moderation and wage a cultural coup. GAF was a victim of the Gender Studies (aka Women’s Studies aka Feminism) mind virus ~5 years before it hit mainstream culture.

Wowsers that username brings back memories!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
someone dared bring up that Biden has is being advised by someone who was friends with Jeffrey Epstein in a thread about Biden being accused of sexual harassment. it is deemed "off topic" (???) and for some reason results in a ban.

Z7L9qIX.png

Last edited:

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
someone dared bring up that Biden has is being advised by someone who was friends with Jeffrey Epstein in a thread about Biden being accused of sexual harassment. it is deemed "off topic" (???) and for some reason results in a ban.

Z7L9qIX.png

Aren't all posts drive-by? Do people actually sit in one thread waiting for someone to reply to their comments so they can engage in a back and forth? You read the fucking thread, comment maybe, then go to another thread until you come back to the original thread to see updates. The thought of some ree kid sitting there F5ing a thread to see if anyone commented on their wit is laughable.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i just want to know why a world famous millionaire pedofile being photographed with your campaign advisor is OFF TOPIC in a thread about you being accused of rape. WHY IS THAT OFF TOPIC???

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
i just want to know why a world famous millionaire pedofile being photographed with your campaign advisor is OFF TOPIC in a thread about you being accused of rape. WHY IS THAT OFF TOPIC???
Is there a politician currently in power that wasn't connected or in a photo with him though?

JSoup

Banned
ReOpen protest signs, but the one on the right reminds me of ERA a bit. Especially when the defend their ability to use straight up racist terms.

sub-buzz-86-1587743951-7.jpg

That sign doesn't even make sense.
No one 'felt' like locking things down. The feelings is a damn virus.

joe_zazen

That sign doesn't even make sense.
No one 'felt' like locking things down. The feelings is a damn virus.

Sweden didn’t lock things down and we did. At some point, both those decisions came down to what the decision makers felt was best. So it kinda is based on feelings.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

Starts off as a thread backfire then gets progressively more entertaining.
Complains that the angry black man is an awful stereotype that shouldn't be given oxygen, allows himself to be the very example of the offensive sterotype he claims doesn't exist.

"The amount of rage this man generates deep inside me". Relax the cacks, it's a video game character, try to break the fucking stereotype in real life. The difference between you and Barret is Barret has a legitimate reason for being angry. He is a video game character with a gun for a hand. Name me one person in the world who resembles Barret?

ShinNL

Wait, did they just admit non-whites can be racist too in that ban message?

"Look here person of color, sit your falling off our plantation ass down, and don't tell us how we should project our bigotry and prejudices into every medium we salty cunt about! Racist!"
Here's some fun numbers:
I'm a Chinese from the Netherlands. Chinese make up 0.6% of the Dutch population, compared to 12.6% of the American population being black people.

And they're trying to teach people like me what minorities have to go through... 🤔?

In real life I never even reveal myself as 'a person of color': I'm simply Dutch. I specifically mentioned it there because they're obviously just using it exclusively for black people, while making it sound grander and for a noble cause.

And do you know how wholesome you guys are? It still shocks me every time I open up GAF how sane this forum has become. So.... down to earth normal. It's so comfy and nice here :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom