• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ymir

Era's hate of Elon Musk continues

When someone tacks a Reddit relationship thread based upon the couple's age (31f, 49m) - that the OP claims must be Grimes/Musk.

(Lets not point out the fact that the reddit post was made on 15th May. Elon Musk turned 49 on 28th June, and Grimes turned 32 on 17th March). Oh dear.
Lol it's also such a vague reddit post that literally have to have a mental disorder to think this MUST be Elon Musk.

LOL poster says he goes on discord group chat to complain about her. Yes, Elon Musk nightly talks to people on discord of all things to whine about Grimes and her mom. TOTALLY BELIEVABLE.

Last edited:
A fucking gem from that thread

VXiQ3xI.png

Bartski

Gold Member
yesterday's news but I'm at work reading through this truly fascinating meltdown right now. Wow.

basically, if you don't want anyone to fuck with your difficult and punishing games - you're an evil person.

Also, #NotGoodEnough anyway:

9uOmjC0.png

Ymir

yesterday's news but I'm at work reading through this truly fascinating meltdown right now. Wow.

basically, if you don't want anyone to fuck with your difficult and punishing games - you're an evil person.

9uOmjC0.png
Looks like you found some of the snowflakes they're always whining about.

HotPocket69

Banned

9uOmjC0.png

oi5pqz9.jpg

nush

Their constant pleas for easy mode are hilarious, but if you think about it, coherent. Most of them spend 0 effort in their actual life, now you want them to sweat over a vidya? come on you insensitive bigot, lazy slobs lives matter!

I'm sure the hole thing spun out of them not being able to play Dark Souls. So they can't join the conversation or brag about beating it and feel excluded. Get Gud? No chance, add an easy mode.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the thing is, Git Gud means. "You can do it, just practice"

i see far more people complaining about Souls fans bragging than actually bragging. i think a lot of that is projection tbh. whenever i have been excited about a newcomer to the series, and they are frustrated, you have to cheer them on, and that is the way.

i think some people take themselves too damn seriously. are you questioning their ability? like egotistical children they are. how can you possibly develop yourself if you believe in absolute moral relativity and that anything you do is by definition "good enough".

it's a strike to their egos. they have big fucking egos. how dare you accuse them of not being good enough. it's like, but you aren't, lol. just practice. this isn't impossible. get over yourself.

Ymir

i see far more people complaining about Souls fans bragging than actually bragging. i think a lot of that is projection tbh. whenever i have been excited about a newcomer to the series, and they are frustrated, you have to cheer them on, and that is the way.

i think some people take themselves too damn seriously. are you questioning their ability? like egotistical children they are. how can you possibly develop yourself if you believe in absolute moral relativity and that anything you do is by definition "good enough".

it's a strike to their egos. they have big fucking egos. how dare you accuse them of not being good enough. it's like, but you aren't, lol. just practice. this isn't impossible. get over yourself.
It’s always crazy too because if a video game taking practice makes you this traumatized then what do you do with the rest of your life? We’re you perfect at your job before even having it? Have you every played an instrument? Have you ever cooked food before? Literally everything in life takes effort and practice and repetition. To be confused why something like a game would also have difficulty or require you to practice and retry sections of the game is certainly something

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The vast majority of games have difficulty sliders.

No one *must* play the Souls games out of some FOMO nonsense if you’re simply incapable. I don’t play those games for the same reason that I don’t play online multiplayer games - I get my ass rocked and I’m not into that.

Like there is literally not enough time for even someone who is unemployed to keep up with all these games coming out. Just go play one of those for fucks sake.

Era's hate of Elon Musk continues

When someone tacks a Reddit relationship thread based upon the couple's age (31f, 49m) - that the OP claims must be Grimes/Musk.

(Lets not point out the fact that the reddit post was made on 15th May. Elon Musk turned 49 on 28th June, and Grimes turned 32 on 17th March). Oh dear.
This has been making the rounds in $TSLAQ Twitter and if you don't know what that is it's better to keep it that way. The fact that Ree seems to be an extension of $TSLAQ doesn't surprise me in the least. The kind of terminally insane that is endemic in $TSLAQ is a lot like the Ree special Insanity. For example right now $TSLAQ are all cheering for the burning fire near Fremont to burn the Tesla Factory down, never mind that it would literally need to burn through the entire city of Fremont first to get there. Sound a lot like Ree? Yeah, I think so too. Same type of psychopathy.

Ree would be mad if they found out just how many new millionaires Elon Musk has minted the past few months as Tesla stock has reached low-Earth orbit.

Last edited:

DogofWar

To the dear REEEE users who whine and want easy modes on everything because their "real life obligations".

I am married, have two kids. Work 100% and study 150 %.
The few hours I manage to play video games I want to be challenged.
Stop whining and learn to overcome hardships. This is a real lesson you need to learn.

DeaDPo0L84

Our very own smooth brain Reee resident TaySan TaySan saying if you back the blue or believe they should be represented in any sort of media or support them in any way whatsoever you are 100% racist without a doubt. This is in reference to 343 removing a sirens nameplate from ODST cause a lot of pussies got their feelings hurt as if keeping it in game or removing would actually help/fix anything. Didn't stop TaySan TaySan from puffing up behind his keyboard and fighting the good fight.
zq3umF0.jpg

nush

Our very own smooth brain Reee resident TaySan TaySan saying if you back the blue or believe they should be represented in any sort of media or support them in any way whatsoever you are 100% racist without a doubt. This is in reference to 343 removing a sirens nameplate from ODST cause a lot of pussies got their feelings hurt as if keeping it in game or removing would actually help/fix anything. Didn't stop TaySan TaySan from puffing up behind his keyboard and fighting the good fight.
zq3umF0.jpg

Meanwhile on GAF...

6yxfaA6.jpg

The most spineless worm on the forums. "Only a big man when he's got his mates to back him up".

Scotty W

Banned

this says it all:

Toriko
Yesterday at 3:21 PM
Spring-Loaded said:
It’s simple: Batman is racist, and fans of Batman are also racist.

white, wealthy authoritarian with unhealthy focus on low-level crime indulges in violent vigilantism fantasy fighting said crime in an inefficient way
I don't know what is sarcasm anymore.

Saruhashi

Banned
They have a lot of people who are shit at games on this videogame forum

I think they could help themselves by going into how exactly certain disabilities relate to certain elements of videogames.

So the one guy mentions QTEs and this makes a bit of sense actually because if the game wants you to press "x" repeatedly and quickly to get past some quick time event and you just can't physically do it then that's a real issue.

The problem with the general conversation is that they seem to focus in on a very small handful of games but then don't explain really how the content of those games is troublesome for disabled gamers.

So if let's say Jedi Faller Order introduces an easy mode it's clear that this is not done from an accessibility point of view since that mode really just allows you to take less damage, do more damage, or have a different window for parrying. I am not seeing how that relates to disability specifically.

Let's say you took Bloodborne and made it so that the player has more health and all the enemies have less health.
The game would certainly be easier at that point but I don't see how that helps someone with a disability. You still have to perform the same physical actions to complete the game.

An example that was given is:
"This happened with my with Super Mario Galaxy, where the Spider boss requires a mixture of normal and motion controls, including using the point to grab onto things, and because my brain freezes up on complex functions like this, it took me so many fucking lives to get through it. I got a little further, but that was where it effectively was done by me."

So first of all he WAS able to do it.
Secondly how can a developer scour their game making sure there is no issue for people whos "brain freezes up"?

Honestly, the whole things seems like a concentrated effort to strong-arm certain developers into making games the precise way that the mob wants games to be made.

From Software has a reputation for fans who say "git gud".
So the activist element of the gaming community needs an angle of attack so they can get rid of this "git gud" attitude.

Saruhashi

Banned
I'm sure the hole thing spun out of them not being able to play Dark Souls. So they can't join the conversation or brag about beating it and feel excluded. Get Gud? No chance, add an easy mode.

Pretty much.
If Dark Souls was not a popular game then this would never be an issue.

They buy the game everyone is talking about.
They find out it is difficult. (Honestly is it really THAT difficult?)
They cannot breeze through the game like they do with Assassin's Creed or whatever shitty text adventure they are huffing farts over.
So they go online to get help and the community says "well you are supposed to die a lot and you need to learn and persevere".
WHAT!? No no no no no!
Now, the game must change to suit them.
Oh shit though they spent all of their time last year crying about entitled gamers.
Hm... what if... well what about people with disabilities!? They can't play this game because it's not accessible.
Add an easy mode you bigots!

Pretty much.
If Dark Souls was not a popular game then this would never be an issue.

They buy the game everyone is talking about.
They find out it is difficult. (Honestly is it really THAT difficult?)
They cannot breeze through the game like they do with Assassin's Creed or whatever shitty text adventure they are huffing farts over.
So they go online to get help and the community says "well you are supposed to die a lot and you need to learn and persevere".
WHAT!? No no no no no!
Now, the game must change to suit them.
Oh shit though they spent all of their time last year crying about entitled gamers.
Hm... what if... well what about people with disabilities!? They can't play this game because it's not accessible.
Add an easy mode you bigots!
Back when Jack Thompson was on the prowl, I always wondered why he went after GTA3 instead of the more violent Manhunt (if he really had it out for R*), and why he went after GTA4 and Halo "hyperviolent" 3 instead of the far more gratuitous Gears of War? But then it became rather obvious: he was going after the most popular games to grab headlines, not necessarily the most violent games.

These modern "every game should have an accessibility mode" churchmarms operate in the same way. They prowl for Big Targets that have the highest potential for virtue points, and then they attempt to spear it. The game might not even be that hard, but if it has the reputation of being hard, then you can bet these idiots will be standing on the curb holding signs (figuratively).

Saruhashi

Banned

It's kind of funny because they will totally flip from "games are serious art" to "lol games are just electronic toys" when you push them on this.
However, I reckon that if you made a game where "impossible difficulty" could be tied to some SJW talking point then they would definitely buy into it.
The problem with Souls games is that they have a strong artistic vision but they are popular enough to make the people who can't overcome the difficulty feel "left out".
So they lash out at the game and it's fans in a way that takes things from "games are art" to "games are just dumb entertainment".

"Games Are Art."

OK cool. Check this game out. They've tried to incorporate "dying" many times as you try to complete the game into the narrative. Also they have designed the world and the lore in such a way that the difficulty actually feeds the atmosphere and immersion of the game. Cool right?

"Reeeeeeee! It's too difficult! I don't have time for that! Shut the fuck up about practice and learning! What about people with disabilities!? They need to add a casual mode."

No, no. I don't think you get it. The difficulty is part of the artistic vision. They don't want you to just breeze through the game. The game is actually about struggle and toil but also about enduring in the face of an oppressive world. I thought you loved that shit?

"Reeeeeeee! It doesn't harm you if there is an easy mode. What do you care if I just want to enjoy the world!"

Um... OK. Look, I just don't think every game needs to be completed by every player. I think punishing difficulty is actually a valid artistic choice and an interesting one at that. So just leave the difficulty as it is and don't ruin the art by demanding it be changed on the whims of the consumers.

"LOL. Look at this idiot! He can't handle his electronic toys being made more accessible to others. LOL! Doesn't he see that it's just dumb video games! They're just toys man, why are you so defensive about toys?"

Redlancet

Banned
Hey era, i have 45 years, two kids, a gymn i work in uniform and i have time to be good at things in life, one of them is break any of your necks with just one hand

Last edited:

Woffls

It is for me :messenger_loudly_crying:

Can't seem to get passed Sen's Fortress. Not complaining though...or asking for an easy mode haha
Don’t try and tank your way through because you’ll get knocked off ledges and might have trouble with traps. Ignore chests because some have spooky shit in them. Just run around figuring the place out, unlocking doors and dodging attacks until you’ve got the place figured out 👍

regarding the easy mode for games. it's almost as if they aren't interested in games at all lol. video games is just a front for them. gotta have easy mode there so they can pretend they like games. can't have anything too difficult now so all games must have easy mode.
Leeches always search for a soft underbelly to attach to, and it's always the same whimpering excuse: "we just want to be included", which then transforms into "you're intentionally keeping us out of this boys club", which then transforms into "you need to adjust your hobby in these specific ways so that I can feel more included", which then transforms into "it's finally time for this hobby to get rid of the things that personally held me back."

Ymir

Leeches always search for a soft underbelly to attach to, and it's always the same whimpering excuse: "we just want to be included", which then transforms into "you're intentionally keeping us out of this boys club", which then transforms into "you need to adjust your hobby in these specific ways so that I can feel more included", which then transforms into "it's finally time for this hobby to get rid of the things that personally held me back."
You missed where you have to virtue signal in the end because no one cares you suck at games so you have to say how the developers are bigots and causing a hate movement against the disabled for not including an easy mode.

Nameless

I caught a 3 week ban in that Easy Mode thread over the weekend for making the same point K.Jack made to the very same poster.

That's precisely why I have 1000+ ignored threads on Era and mostly limit my posting to a handful of OTs and news reaction threads these days. There's literally no point in discussing 'hot button' topics on that website unless your're driving by with a "vile, gross, disgusting" post or otherwise towing the 'official position'. Rarely are distinctions made between disagreeing with that position, and agreeing with too little fervor or any sort of qualification. Typically this also means it's open season for bans or outright attacks from members.

Sure, I absolutely think more can be done on the accessibility front for disabled gamers. But I also don't think it's a reasonable expectation for every developer to design every game with the end goal of every abled-bodied and disabled person making it to the final credits. Those overly the entitled people with kids, little patience, "not enough time", overbearing spouses who police their game time, etc.. who want all games to be 6 hours long with zero challenge can fuck right off.

Last edited:

benjipwns

Banned
From the members only feedback thread:
Hecht said:
Hello everyone. Thank you to everyone who offered their input in this thread. The team has been reviewing and going over the feedback and discussing what can be done to address the most common issues that came up. Here are some of the improvements we believe we can start working on immediately, along with a few suggestions on how members can help us get there.

Things that we need to do:
  • Implementing threadbans site wide for minor infractions. This is hopefully a way to keep discussions on track in cases where site bans are not required, or when a warning is not sufficient on its own. Moving to another thread to continue whatever caused the threadban, or repeating the offense that resulted in a threaddban in the first place would still be cause for escalation.
  • Set up a separate system for ban appeals. We’re looking at a tech solution that we think is promising and should help us process these faster and get responses out faster, cutting out the need for emails. We’re going to make this a high priority.
  • Investigate allowing members to view their own infraction history. There are some challenges here but if we can make it work we want to make it work.
  • Get more moderators. It's not like we ever stopped, but with how the team has been stretched thin lately we clearly need to ramp up the search. More staff will help us process everything more quickly. We are especially committed to bringing on more Asian and Muslim moderator candidates.
  • More detailed public ban banners across the board, to explain bans more clearly. "Duration Pending" banners are used because regular moderators cannot ban for longer than 1 month; this is to avoid hasty permabans or bans of excessive length. The text in these banners will be clarified to explain that they are temporary placeholders until they can be reviewed.
  • Ensure that bans that are extended due to alt-accounts or other reasons are documented in banners
  • Try to strike the right balance between bans, warnings, and threadbans, or even just a mod coming to tell people to chill, to ensure that threads don't get derailed by a ban and that penalties are proportionate to the infraction. Better communication through mod participation in threads can help with this.
  • Preferred pronouns on profiles. This has been in the works for a while and we’re hoping to get it done along with the other high priority tech items.
  • An "online" indicator for staff members who are available, so that users know who is around for them to come to.
  • Prefixes will be expanded to enable members to better filter the content they're looking for. This has also been in the works, but may come after the other tech items as we've bumped those up higher in priority.
Things users can do to help:
  • Criticizing moderation and the practices is fine. Being a complete asshole to the team or any member of the team is not. Neither users nor staff should have to just sit back and take verbal abuse. If you can't at minimum realize that there is a person, not a robot, on the other end of your words, then nothing productive can happen.
  • Lines of communication between staff and members can only work if there’s an understanding that it is done in good faith. We don’t sit here tending to the site for hours each day because we’re bored and love punishment. We’ve made mistakes in the past with handling feedback and the point of this thread was to reboot that effort.
  • In general, just be nicer to each other. This shouldn't be Twitter, where people just respond to a post with a petty snipe and move on about their day. This is supposed to be a community where we can sit down and have actual discussions, with the occasional poop thread that is probably unnecessary. Console wars and hostility BY FAR make up the largest portion of our reports. Simply letting people enjoy things would do wonders for the tone of the site and the stress of the staff.
We hope to be able to follow up soon when we implement some of the concrete features we’re committing to here.
And all the complaints went away, forever!

nush

I caught a 3 week ban in that Easy Mode thread over the weekend for making the same point K.Jack made to the very same poster.

That's precisely why I have 1000+ ignored threads on Era and mostly limit my posting to a handful of OTs and news reaction threads these days. There's literally no point in discussing 'hot button' topics on that website unless your're driving by with a "vile, gross, disgusting" post or otherwise towing the 'official position'. Rarely are distinctions made between disagreeing with that position, and agreeing with too little fervor or any sort of qualification. Typically this also means it's open season for bans or outright attacks from members.

Sure, I absolutely think more can be done on the accessibility front for disabled gamers. But I also don't think it's a reasonable expectation for every developer to design every game with the end goal of every abled-bodied and disabled person making it to the final credits. Those overly the entitled people with kids, little patience, "not enough time", overbearing spouses who police their game time, etc.. who want all games to be 6 hours long with zero challenge can fuck right off.

Come back to the light, the lure of rapid new topics and posts isn't worth it vs freedom to express your thoughts.

nush

Bans, bans, bans, bans, pronouns and prefixes.

That's sure gonna work and be implemented, lmao.
Threadbans! Lets copy GAF again, because we are technically and creatively incompetent. You don't need pronouns to identify the biggest loser twats there, but it does simplify their identification in less posts. I'd love to see how long THAT dropdown menu is!

Hecht

i put money (or a Jack Daniels Bottle) on it the only thing on that list will be done is more moderators and reee will become more ban happy....the rest will be parked in the too hard basket as it would give further transparency to the shithouse moderation system and would cost Cerium more money with no real return on investment if im wrong i will gladly mail you a bottle of Jack Daniels that you can use when moderating Resetera as its one thing to laugh at how shitty that place is but its another to sit in the drivers seat and try and believe what you are typing

Get the Fuck off Ree if you know whats Healthy for you Hecht...your gonna end up a Diabetic whale

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
From the members only feedback thread:

And all the complaints went away, forever!

If you really distill everything down, it’s basically “we’ve added thread bans“.

The root problem of Era is that some people want to see way more bans than they have now and others think there are way too many bans for innocuous things.

It’s the old “disagree with bans for different opinions” vs “any different opinion is racist” dilemma that they’ve constantly been stuck in. People saying the former really need to get off that site because they will never not cater to the latter either out of solidarity or fear of being labeled a bigot.

cormack12

Gold Member
Preferred pronouns on profiles. This has been in the works for a while and we’re hoping to get it done along with the other high priority tech items.

Oh lord, this is what has been wanted for ages by the trolls. Imagine the reports about misgendering.....Shudder to think

teezzy

Banned
It's kind of funny because they will totally flip from "games are serious art" to "lol games are just electronic toys" when you push them on this.
However, I reckon that if you made a game where "impossible difficulty" could be tied to some SJW talking point then they would definitely buy into it.
The problem with Souls games is that they have a strong artistic vision but they are popular enough to make the people who can't overcome the difficulty feel "left out".
So they lash out at the game and it's fans in a way that takes things from "games are art" to "games are just dumb entertainment".

"Games Are Art."

OK cool. Check this game out. They've tried to incorporate "dying" many times as you try to complete the game into the narrative. Also they have designed the world and the lore in such a way that the difficulty actually feeds the atmosphere and immersion of the game. Cool right?

"Reeeeeeee! It's too difficult! I don't have time for that! Shut the fuck up about practice and learning! What about people with disabilities!? They need to add a casual mode."

No, no. I don't think you get it. The difficulty is part of the artistic vision. They don't want you to just breeze through the game. The game is actually about struggle and toil but also about enduring in the face of an oppressive world. I thought you loved that shit?

"Reeeeeeee! It doesn't harm you if there is an easy mode. What do you care if I just want to enjoy the world!"

Um... OK. Look, I just don't think every game needs to be completed by every player. I think punishing difficulty is actually a valid artistic choice and an interesting one at that. So just leave the difficulty as it is and don't ruin the art by demanding it be changed on the whims of the consumers.

"LOL. Look at this idiot! He can't handle his electronic toys being made more accessible to others. LOL! Doesn't he see that it's just dumb video games! They're just toys man, why are you so defensive about toys?"

This is the most important aspect of the entire argument here. Video games are simulatenously art and games, and it completely depends on your perspective of this crucial factor before forming an opinion on this subject. Output like Dark Souls, etc, are intetionally difficult as a design choice which is integral to their artistic merit. The decision for accessibility and difficulty options should be up to the creators, or those investing the funds to create the product, and nobody else - especially if the medium is to be taken seriously as an artform. If it's all just one big commercial, focus-tested product, then so be it. Adding bumpers to the lanes in bowling is a respectable well-intended effort, color correcting Van Gogh's The Night Cafe for someone who is color blind is not because it disregards the initial intent of the creative.

Per my prior post on the subject, because I think I have a point, and I'm going to double down on it:

It's all a matter of how you view games, I think: Are they a commercial product to be enjoyed by everyone or are they an artistic product where the designed experience is entirely up to that of the creator?

Ultimately - yes, a game designer can decide whether or not to add difficulty options. Not everyone can keep up with Sekiro, not everyone can stomach a Dostoevsky novel, and that's perfectly alright. Not everything has to be for everyone.

I'm in full support of products like the Xbox adaptive controller. People with disabilities have cruddy enough lives (just like the rest of us) and playing games can only help relieve that stress, but this sort of mentality of of difficult games being a form of "gatekeeping" in the hobby is ludicrous.

Most people aren't going to see the Sistine Chapel with their own eyes within their lifetime, and that's entirely okay. Forcing easy modes and accessibility options onto designers is forcing them to alter their creative vision - plain and simple.

Making gaming more approachable for all is absolutely a noble endeavor, but the second you start stepping on the toes of the auteurs in the field to override their own artistic integrity on major design elements, you're overstepping your bounds. What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander.

Bartski

Gold Member

Congrats you're one of the very few people there actually making sense.

I'm all for accessibility, things like custom controllers or a lot of what's been done in TLOU2 for sensory impaired players just warm my heart.

But I don't understand how aggressively demanding easy modes in ALL games and throwing tantrums opinion policing those who are against it as "ableist handwaving" is helping anybody's case.

Not all games must be made for everyone to enjoy.

Dorohedoro

At least most of them seem to be making fun of this dumb shit so there's that lol.

wvnative

At least most of them seem to be making fun of this dumb shit so there's that lol.

Goddamn you i raced here as fast as I could to be the one to post this...

Anyways, the mere existence of that topic is like, the best era thread ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom