• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah I enjoy discussing videogames because it's my hobby. The moment an internet forum decides to push a political agenda upon users and actively discourages users from discussing videogames on a videogames forum is the moment I am done.

I've seen people getting banned for posting they're excited for 2077. What the hell kind of videogame forum has being excited for a videogame be a bannable offense? The beauty of discussion is that it works both ways - you discuss and debate. You can't just straight up silence and ban people because talking about a videogame offends you. The scorched earth tactic is, to put it mildly, disproportionate to what CDPR did. I wonder if the mayority of "offended" users even know what they're offended about.

The situation is just not okay in my book, and I honestly worry about how people who get offended over these things go through life. Being offended so easily must be exhausting, and not good for mental health.

InDaGulag

The LGBT community is a fucking garbage fire of toxicity. Pandering to them never goes well, anyone who makes an honest attempt but doesn't meet the criteria of a tiny fraction of the community gets cancelled. They never appreciate the attempt, it's always "do better, bigots" with them.

I'm sorry but I disagree. I regularly interact with LGBT folks on Twitter, Discord and Reddit as Leftist places are filled with them. They love loads of media with LGBT characters in them.

A few posters on Era is not representative of the entire LGBT movement. And even those posters have media with LGBT characters they like.

Yeah I enjoy discussing videogames because it's my hobby. The moment an internet forum decides to push a political agenda upon users and actively discourages users from discussing videogames on a videogames forum is the moment I am done.

I've seen people getting banned for posting they're excited for 2077. What the hell kind of videogame forum has being excited for a videogame be a bannable offense? The beauty of discussion is that it works both ways - you discuss and debate. You can't just straight up silence and ban people because talking about a videogame offends you. The scorched earth tactic is, to put it mildly, disproportionate to what CDPR did. I wonder if the mayority of "offended" users even know what they're offended about.

The situation is just not okay in my book, and I honestly worry about how people who get offended over these things go through life. Being offended so easily must be exhausting, and not good for mental health.

Those messages against Shinobi for congratulating what is likely professional industry friends were disgusting and really were the straw that broke the camels back for me over there.

I cannot believe they’re going after such a nice guy who has had no interaction with the drama for tweeting a congrats. It’s way out of line and borderline abusive.

So if Black Chambers posts were just hidden for about 5-8 years like BDubs he wouldn’t have been banned? Is that it? That’s the cutoff for having your “problematic” views excused?
Someone should post all the "problematic' Bdubs posts here, I have no doubt Transera will be monitoring this thread, and exposing Bdubs will let them understand that the problem on Era is Bdub.

teezzy

Banned
I'm sorry but I disagree. I regularly interact with LGBT folks on Twitter, Discord and Reddit as Leftist places are filled with them. They love loads of media with LGBT characters in them.

A few posters on Era is not representative of the entire LGBT movement. And even those posters have media with LGBT characters they like.

Don't apologize for sticking up against some weird generalization of the gay community. He should know better than that

Much respect, Gulag

phant0m

think I'm all done there, personally. I don't even _really_ know anything about the BC drama but the fact that I can't talk whatsoever about probably(?) the biggest release of the year in any capacity other than to shit on CDPR for their perceptions/depictions of the trans community is just embarrassing. Been quite awhile since I was last here but the sensitivities on Era have become too much.

I'm very happy for those folks who have concerns and issues with the CDPR's handling of LGBTQ subject matter to be able to express them, and to bring up those issues wherever they feel is appropriate. however, I'm very much not okay with being unable to talk about gameplay, performance, or any other aspect of the game without the "blessing"(?) of these individuals.

Last edited:
Era fucks who are lurking here. Hypocrites all of you, esp you QUEEN KYUU UWU.
Listen:

You went and leaked BChamber's private pm, attacked, called him names and bullied him for being excited for a game and went searching deep into his Twitter like stalkers you are. Only his underwear closet was safe from you...

But Shinobi gets away with it? He said he can't w8 and is ultra hyped. Congratulated dirty Polish Transphobes for their shitty transphobic game. How does that make you feel? Are you going to cry?

You pathetic creatures.
Listen to your looser puppet mod and stalk your user base esp his Twitter.

Surely what Shinobi is doing is exactly what Chamber did, right? Do smth you spineless fucks. Double standards are written all over your freak circus of of a site. Hypocrites...
tenor.gif

Also hi Black Chamber 😉
👋Hello back!👋
🤘💯
I am back on Gaf after a 4 year absence and its dope my account is still here.

Black Chamber Black Chamber , just want to say you were more than accommodating over there and did not deserve the bullying and shit flinging floated your way.

Regardless, lets enjoy the game together yeah?! 💯
Thank you🙏
Totally OT but I gotta say that whenever I see your avatar I always feel guilty for getting you banned.
😅
Why is that?
So is Black_Chamber in on the OT for Cyberpunk here? Not to disparage what you have as OT’s now.
I'm helping out in small ways with the current OT, as I don't want to step on anybody's toes, since I arrived late to the party and the Cyberpunk 2077 OT dance card was nearly full.

I would like to do the OT's for the expansions; as I've already got some incredible ideas🤘
God this is too funny. BDubs: "I cannot understate how devastating it is to learn the truth" :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

How the fuck can you type that with the straight face?

Welcome Black Chamber Black Chamber ! I never thought you should have acquiesced to them since it was obvious they didn't want you posting there and would eventually run you out of town. That doesn't make it any less shitty and pathetic the way they carried it out. I've only skimmed through the last couple days worth of posts - there are a lot of them! - but what I saw was really shameful.
It was deplorable. It shines an incredibly horrid light on that "place".
Black Chamber Black Chamber Out of curiosity, were you planning on adding their paragraph/section to your OT?
Yes I was.

I was trying to be amicable and accommodating in the hope that the site could get to the point where Cyberpunk discussion could be had uninterrupted and it would be...fun for a change.

The TransEra users interested in playing the game wanted assurance that the OT would be a safe place for them, so I said "Everyone is welcome" - which instead of the actual sincere meaning it had from me, it only pissed them off - even though that was not my intention.

It snowballed from there and the harassment, insults and bullying began.

I feel sorry for them at this point. Maybe migrating over here would allow them to blossom and actually have meaningful conversations instead of ban-baiting and reporting everything.
SJRB!!

Greetings Choombatta🤘💯
You dont need to explain yourself or justify yourself here, youre very welcome.

Personally and you can read in this thread, i said you should grow a pair when you were on era, still stand by it :)
I know I don't; but their accusations persisted even after I explained myself and got banned. I don't like being accused of something I didn't do.
Black Chamber Black Chamber

just wanted to let you know again how happy we are for having you here. And I hope all this drama won’t sour your first sessions of CP2077. The game is too good to be spoiled by this!
Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be awesome🤘💯

The welcome outpouring of love and friendship that was extended to me here last night was so different than what I've been experiencing over there the past 8 months.

I'm so glad to be here😊

Everyone from ResetEra should abandon that vile place.
Black Chamber Black Chamber dude I just wanna let you know I think the way Resetera treated you was fucking disgraceful. I was following your threads and thought you did a great job of keeping the convo on topic. You were just trying to keep shit civil and then you just got fucking bumrushed by people trying to derail the thread. Reading through GAF for the past couple of hours, I've just realised how liberating it is to actually say something rather than hold my tongue worrying I'm going to offend the wrong person and get dogpiled by these 'woke' cancel culture morons.

Like fuck me, I don't care if people are trans. Live your life, do your thing - but running out content creators and fucking up any legitimate discourse about the game outside of trans issues, on a FUCKING GAMING FORUM is just insanity. It's insanely refreshing just writing this and not giving a fuck about hurting someones feelings lol
Thank you🙏
Hi all.

I've been growing increasingly disillusioned with Era for a while now, but the disgusting way they treated Black Chamber Black Chamber is the last straw for me. I can't be a part of that sort of community anymore. They're just a bunch of bullies.

It frustrates me just how ridiculously hyperbolic everything always gets. CD Projekt employs over 1000 people, yet one guy on Twitter makes a joke in poor taste and suddenly the entire company is transphobic.

Same thing with Harry Potter. Regardless of your opinions on JK Rowling, she's so uninvolved in that new game that she's probably never even seen the trailer. But yet again, everyone who works on it is a monster.

It just happens over and over again. Apologies are never enough. Nobody is allowed to change or learn or grow. And the actual consequences of them getting their way, which they never dare actually say, is that they basically just want lots of people who did nothing wrong to lose their jobs.

I feel that that 'prominent members' over there must just be profoundly unhappy people, as they seem to dedicate hours of their time each day to spreading misery.
You made the right decision🤘

Kiraly

think I'm all done there, personally. I don't even _really_ know anything about the BC drama but the fact that I can't talk whatsoever about probably(?) the biggest release of the year in any capacity other than to shit on CDPR for their perceptions/depictions of the trans community is just embarrassing. Been quite awhile since I was last here but the sensitivities on Era have become too much.

Welcome back. First order of business: Picking out an avatar with Cyberpunk Yellow.

Thank you for this, as a member of that community myself who doesn’t want to associate with what’s currently going on on Era and certainly doesn’t want to be lumped in with that group, I appreciate your post a lot.

Raven117

The LGBT community is a fucking garbage fire of toxicity. Pandering to them never goes well, anyone who makes an honest attempt but doesn't meet the criteria of a tiny fraction of the community gets cancelled. They never appreciate the attempt, it's always "do better, bigots" with them.
Take it easy compadre. There are plenty of LGBT folks who are cool cats that enjoy a whole host of things without being bothered by some of this nonsense.

Edit: Calcium clarified his point. He is talking about a particular branch of the left online mob.

Last edited:

Calcium

Banned

I'm not talking about just Reset, I am fortunate enough to have broken my interest with their particular brand of insanity other than the occasional check in.

Don't apologize for sticking up against some weird generalization of the gay community. He should know better than that

Much respect, Gulag

And oddly I don't. My wife is in the community and harbors the same opinion. The LGBT community is always at each other's throats, it's ridiculous.

ikbalCO

I second this. Lgbt community is a lot of fun to hang out with, have very thick skin and take a joke quite well.
Don’t let resetera extremist meddle with your perception of a diverse and crowded community.

FunkMiller

A small website...and the largest social media platform in addition to however many "gaming journalists" decide to slight the game over that nonsense.

Going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you mean the ResetEra community.

Because the LGBT community is not toxic, and to say so would be a grossly offensive generalisation.

But, as I say, I think you’re referring to just the Reeee crowd... who are a very tiny, warped minority in the LGBT community. Don’t let their screeching hysterics convince you otherwise.

Last edited:

Karunamon

And oddly I don't. My wife is in the community and harbors the same opinion. The LGBT community is always at each other's throats, it's ridiculous.

Quoting for truth. There's a difference between LGBTs (as a group of people with common traits that can be reasoned about) and "the LGBT community" (i.e. people who's reason for hanging out begins and ends at their genitals, identity, and sexual preferences).

Era is an example of the latter.

Last edited:
So what is it really going to achieve to just have an OT with text? Sounds like performative nonsense to me. Grow a pair and ban the discussion around the game if that's going to be their stance.

Their admins aren't that stupid - they realize how massive loss of traffic and ad revenue it would be if they banned biggest game of 2020.

And they know there's huge risk of people never coming back if they find better places to discuss game.

So they are trying to find solution that will let them eat their cake and have it too - so the whole performance to show they are allies while keeping discussion on the forum to show people more ads.

graywolf323

Mods, could I please get a merge on my original account "Vire". It was on an old university email that I no longer have access to.

Very disappointed in the events that occurred today. I am open and happy to hear the plights of the trans community, but to simply block all discussion on the site in any capacity about the game is straight up draconian and bewildering. Two events are not mutually exclusive.

glad to see you back here Vire! you're one of the people on my followed list over on Era that had been banned

FunkMiller

Quoting for truth. There's a difference between LGBTs (as a group of people that can be reasoned about like any other) and "the LGBT community" (i.e. people who's reason for hanging out begins and ends at their genitals and preferences).

Era is an example of the latter.

Think we’ve got a semantics issue here, not much else 👍

Calcium

Banned
Going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you mean the ResetEra community.

Thank you. I'll be more specific, I probably should have worded my reply better. I am specifically referring to the LGBT community that is most prevalent online, the one I see the most from the outside looking in. The people on Reset, Twitter, Tumblr, etc. always cancelling this or that and labelling everything whatever-phobic.

FunkMiller

Thank you. I'll be more specific, I probably should have worded my reply better. I am specifically referring to the LGBT community that is most prevalent online, the one I see the most from the outside looking in. The people on Reset, Twitter, Tumblr, etc. always cancelling this or that and labelling everything whatever-phobic.

Cool dude, and no worries!

Kayhan

Those messages against Shinobi for congratulating what is likely professional industry friends were disgusting and really were the straw that broke the camels back for me over there.

I cannot believe they’re going after such a nice guy who has had no interaction with the drama for tweeting a congrats. It’s way out of line and borderline abusive.
That was super mild compared to how they have bullied, harassed and trolled Black Chamber Black Chamber for weeks.

His crime? Being very excited for a video game. On a gaming forum.

He acknowledged that some people might take offense on CDPR's stance of trans-related issues. And that should be reflected in the OT.

Did that save him? Of course not.

Last edited:

thefool

Bros, almost 50 pages since I last posted? I can't read all of that. Where's Lionel summaries? I miss those like you wouldn't believe. The goat gaf member.

Last edited:

DapperSloth

>I agree with some of their stuff, like there are some issues of transphobia in Cyberpunk.

Hey man can you point them out to me? I’m asking genuinely

If you’re talking about the chick with dick. 1)it’s not even said she’s trans. For all we know she’s just a chick with dick. Mr.Studd is a hot seller in Cyberpunk lore.
2)Even if she’s trans. She’s being sexualized like every other person in that place. Worst city to live in America.
3)The ad was created by a lesbian woman.

What other things are transphobic?

I personally think the only thing that was slightly bad was the tweet. But even then as I’ve said before it was just a overused meme by a Polish person who isn’t familiar with American culture. I’m sure he was just using a shitty meme for shits and giggles. Simple as that.
How Era fucked his career is super disgusting. Those people are scum.

CDPR is not a transphobic company at all but they won’t bend backwards and yell “Here is my ass for you to screw, you’re welcome. You’re all center of the universe“ like UbiSoft does(sometimes).

That’s just my 2c.
Please do mention any other transphobic problem in Cyberpunk if I missed anything.

I just want to highlight what you wrote cause I (and I think others) agree very much with it. It only shows that the trans trenders on ResetEra do some fucking mental gymnastics on the whole "transphobia".

Patriots7

I still don't understand how they think this is the way to have a conversation about how the game may be perceived to the transgender community?

Rather than have one thread focused on transphobia in the game or with the developer, they want all threads to focus on that issue? Because they were upset that not enough people were posting in the transphobia thread?

This arguably just shines a negative light on TransEra and makes people less likely to engage with them about the issues they raise or change their behavior in a meaningful way.

Ty_Lee

Neo Member
Because those elements tend to be pandering and shallow, and when they're not, they're heavy-handed and anvil-licious. In CDPRs case I can totally get the pandering - it's a dystopian, oversexualized world. It fits the lore. It makes sense.

Now compare that to something like Gone Home, or any other game where someone's entire character can be summed up as "I'M $MINORITY!!1"

Like I am seriously having a hard time thinking of a game with LGBT characters that didn't handle it in an intentionally or unintentionally cringeworthy way. It's almost like an allergy at this point, anytime I see an LGBT character in a game, I'm mentally bracing for how terribly they're going to be written. I want characters who are gay, not gay characters dammit.

You know how when COD4:MW did the nuke scene, and then there was the beeg tweest in the middle of every other game in the series, and it wound up a discredited trope? It's kinda like that. You're looking for it, and when you find it, the reaction is "oh god not this shit again".

--

And then there's the fact that this community is, by and large, toxic and unpleasable. I don't mean era specifically, I mean the contingent of people who get seriously bothered about how $minority is portrayed in $medium. You can never do good enough by them.
what about Eli from Tlou2 as a well written gay character? i mean tlou2 did lots of things badly but Eli as a character i think is pretty well written

SaiyanRaoh

From reading, it looks like the only reviews of the game that gets the ERA stamp of approval, is the Gamespot and Polygon one. Look who the reviewers are. Carolyn Petit and Kallie Plagge . There's also a Era approved list of cyberpunk games. It's SOLELY based on trans themes. Gameplay be damned. In those games, I'm guessing your genital's can have pronouns as well.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
So now Cyberpunk 2077 is nearly out, when is Jason Schreier going to report on the harsh crunch culture of Resetera?

A little birdie (who wishes to remain anonymous) told me that she is an administrator for the group and is unable to eat sometimes because she works so hard. Nepenthe told me that the working conditions are not suitable for her and that the desk is too high for her and she can't afford a booster seat. So hopefully Jason reads this and reaches out. I'll put him in touch with my secret source inside Resetera.

Love and Respect

teezzy

Banned
According to my wife she is always correct, yes. Look, I'm just saying. The LGBT community has a problem with toxicity, clearly I'm not referring to ALL of them. That'd be silly.

I know, I read your clarificaiton before posting that.

You know I have a fetish for Buffy eye roll .gifs - I NEED HELP!

Yea I knew there were some idiots at Ree but not THAT many. Who the fuck would attack Shinobi? Dude just posts game deals/info/random stuff that's helpful.

Karunamon

what about Eli from Tlou2 as a well written gay character? i mean tlou2 did lots of things badly but Eli as a character i think is pretty well written

Gonna take your word for it - I never played TLoU2 after hearing how badly the story was butchered in other ways. (Also, fuck Neil Druckmann.)

That comment was just personal experience, mind, but I'd still wager that most depictions of LGBTs that isn't pure cringe is coming from smaller, more indie games rather than large dev houses.

TombaHat

Neo Member
Oh, forgive me, if your wife agrees then it must be true.

ze04a1.gif

You're a cool dude Calcium. I'm gonna chalk this up to a poor choice of verbiage.
Honestly all my friends that qualify as lgbt have said the same thing. It's very easy for a toxic and narcissistic personality to show up and end up dominating the entire community, and unfortunately its a problem that is never really addressed, likely because the journalists that would address it normally happen to be the toxic narcissistic personalities to begin with. Or in Carolyn's case, are too submissive to stand up for themselves outside of regurgitating what she's told.

ikbalCO

According to my wife she is always correct, yes. Look, I'm just saying. The LGBT community has a problem with toxicity, clearly I'm not referring to ALL of them. That'd be silly.
Every community has a problem with toxicity.
I am a muslim and if you ask me we have a problem with toxicity but i don’t think it’s general issue for 2 billion of us.
Cancel the noice of radical and very vocal minorities in any diverse group and what you’ll get will be just normal people, trying their best to live their lives.

Yea I knew there were some idiots at Ree but not THAT many. Who the fuck would attack Shinobi? Dude just posts game deals/info/random stuff that's helpful.

He's the PR guy at Sudo digital, they are probably still mad they made a sonic racing game that didn't feature their furry fan fiction love interest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Much respect, Gulag
Take it easy compadre. There are plenty of LGBT folks who are cool cats that enjoy a whole host of things without being bothered by some of this nonsense.

Edit: Calcium clarified his point. He is talking about a particular branch of the left online mob.
I second this. Lgbt community is a lot of fun to hang out with, have very thick skin and take a joke quite well.
Don’t let resetera extremist meddle with your perception of a diverse and crowded community.

Because the LGBT community is not toxic, and to say so would be a grossly offensive generalisation.

But, as I say, I think you’re referring to just the Reeee crowd... who are a very tiny, warped minority in the LGBT community. Don’t let their screeching hysterics convince you otherwise.
Apologies for the quote bomb but I just have to say... I’ve been over on ResetEra for a while and even though I’m LGBT, I never felt like I fit in in any LGBT “spaces”, because they were always too extreme, too politically correct etc for me and I’ve never liked it at all, I don’t believe in censorship.

I saw this place mentioned a few times and it made me think that it would be some alt right place where LGBT people are constantly mocked and abused - that’s what Era would have you believe. Coming here now after what transpired and immediately seeing this defence for an overgeneralisation of LGBT people like me, who aren’t like those on ERA, it really warmed my heart, to the point I shed a tear. Thank you to all of you, for showing me that people do realise that not all LGBT people are like those on Era.

Last edited:

Trickster

I still don't understand how they think this is the way to have a conversation about how the game may be perceived to the transgender community?

Rather than have one thread focused on transphobia in the game or with the developer, they want all threads to focus on that issue? Because they were upset that not enough people were posting in the transphobia thread?

This arguably just shines a negative light on TransEra and makes people less likely to engage with them about the issues they raise or change their behavior in a meaningful way.

I mean, they started of with the approach you alluding to, where you had one thread for talking about the trans stuff, and one for regular gaming talk.

But yeah that quickly became unacceptable for the TransEra community, who became angry and frustrated that all the people excited for the game would...you know...talk about the game in the thread dedicated to talk about the game, rather than go into the thread about how CDPR is evil and join them in shitting on the developer and game 24/7.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom