• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dislike the joke posts here that don't have a disclaimer on them. It gets out of hand here and misinformation spreads. Please consider adding a "/s" or something on your joke posts. Otherwise, I'm stuck going back to Resetera to verify info. That said, when checking Barry Burton Barry Burton 's post, wow, looks like the author edited the quoted post https://www.resetera.com/threads/cy...d-the-op-before-you-post.340270/post-53655973
Damn, Kyuuji really went back and edited the post. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeah that's gonna be a yikes from me!

Last edited:

TVexperto

era mods: CDPR are trash, they support crunch
era mods: compalin about getting no pay, missing meals to ban people as a volunteer, being understaffed as Cerium pockets gold teeth.

giphy.gif
did they really say that lol

Hope no-one here actually watches this guy seriously. Like a broken clock he's right once in a while, but his videos are 99% distorted, exaggerated clickbait, and he peddles in dishonesty and misleading claims. Doesn't change the fact that his intros are sometimes hilarious. But the guy should be taken as pure entertainment, not at face value.

I dislike the joke posts here that don't have a disclaimer on them. It gets out of hand here and misinformation spreads. Please consider adding a "/s" or something on your joke posts. Otherwise, I'm stuck going back to Resetera to verify info. That said, when checking Barry Burton Barry Burton 's post, wow, looks like the author edited the quoted post https://www.resetera.com/threads/cy...d-the-op-before-you-post.340270/post-53655973

No issues buying a game while still criticizing it. That's how we handle media. But if you're going to influence forum discussion about the game while still buying it, at least defend your thought process instead of handwaving it off. I'm interested to hear the rationale behind "can't you skip this game, it's gross the company is making money off of this bigoted behavior" and "[screenshots of my playthrough]." That's very different than "I have these issues with this game" and "[screenshots of my playthrough]."

Super clear here that I'm on Resetera's side of calling out these problematic representation issues with the game. But I am not in support of how they've handled it. There's no discussion -- just silencing. And again, near zero discussion of POC issues when compared to transgender issues. Someone on Resetera please raise this unequal treatment of problematic issues. Black Resetera OT members got silenced after raising Haitian gang representation concerns. Is it because only one of these issues affects white people...?

The story with the first thing is that she said she was offered a code by parties unnamed. I think the general idea was that someone gave her the code so she could play the game and critique it. Whilst there may be some value in doing that I think the problem for most people is that that surely weakens her stance on getting other people to boycott the game when whatever issues there are are sure to be picked up anyway. Comes off like she just wants to play the game. Whether that's true or not who can say, but it seems like a mistake.

On the second point, you've mentioned this a few times. What are the issues with the Haitian gang members? I'm not from the US (or Haiti) so wouldn't necessarily pick up on whatever is going on there but I'm guessing just some lazy sterotyping?

Imagine unironically watching The Quartering. That dude is an unmitigated disaster of a human being.

Personally, I base my moral assessments on your opinions. I have a list of around 8 billion people I'd like to run by you, if you don't mind. Please use a yellow felt pen to mark down the human beings who are a "disaster".

Your conciseness is appreciated and shall not be questioned.

Last edited:

Komatsu

On the second point, you've mentioned this a few times. What are the issues with the Haitian gang members? I'm not from the US (or Haiti) so wouldn't necessarily pick up on whatever is going on there but I'm guessing just some lazy sterotyping?

Some Haitian Americans complained about the whole Voodoo angle.

The interesting thing is... in the original tabletop game, the Voodoo Boys were basically white guys really into Haitian Creole culture. It was CDPR's decision to make them authentically Haitian.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The story with the first thing is that she said she was offered a code by parties unnamed. I think the general idea was that someone gave her the code so she could play the game and critique it. Whilst there may be some value in doing that I think the problem for most people is that that surely weakens her stance on getting other people to boycott the game when whatever issues there are are sure to be picked up anyway. Comes off like she just wants to play the game. Whether that's true or not who can say, but it seems like a mistake.

Playing and critiquing the game would be fine IF Resetera were actually allowing people to do that. But they aren't. They are silencing different opinions on it. You can have one opinion. And, frankly, if your argument is "gross how they're making money off of transgendered issues," then playing the game at all destroys that argument, regardless of whether you bought it or received it as a "gift." If I wrote out my thoughts on why I disagreed, I'd be banned. Let's be honest.

Haitian gang members is lazy stereotyping. Here's a quick article.

I’m also increasingly concerned about Cyberpunk’s handling of non-white cultures. Last year’s Gamescom demo drew criticism for its clumsy and inauthentic presentation of a Latino character, and I’m not convinced the Voodoo Boys are a step in the right direction. At one point V, the player character, mockingly says “and who are dem” in response to Placide’s pronunciation. I asked Tomaszkiewicz if he was concerned they weren’t treating certain cultures with enough respect.

“Obviously we’re paying a lot of attention to representing different groups respectfully. You know, there’s always a risk. Of course we have it in the back of our heads that we need to be careful about this. We are contacting different consultants to learn about specific groups, and our company has a variety of people with different beliefs. As for The Animals, if you play through the game you’ll see that they’re not mostly black people, it’s mixed.”

He told me that most of the city were mixed race, but the backstory for this particular area concerned most people being immigrants from Haiti. By itself, that would be fine. But near the end of the demo, we meet a white man in a suit and tie who gives us the information we need. He also tells us the Voodoo Boys are going to turn on us the moment we’ve done their dirty work – and is immediately proved right.

The violent black thugs betrayed us, as the corporate white man said they would. If CD Projeckt are trying to subvert expectations – if the punchline is, but sometimes the thugs are really thugs – then it’s not one that lands.

Voodoo nonsense. It's not good. But I'm OK with it existing and being a mainstream representation of a marginalized, traditionally underrepresented community, if we can at least critique it. I'm not going to ignore everything else great in this game. If you're going to do it, do it right. But at least we can have some Haitians in a game and discuss its portrayal failures. Super clear that I share Resetera's concerns about representation of marginalized, ignored groups being problematic. But the way to have that discussion isn't banning disagreement. That's not a discussion at all. This is some Chinese Communist Party nonsense and it's gross.

I loaded up my purchased copy of Cyberpunk 2077 last night. This game is going to be awesome.

Some Haitian Americans complained about the whole Voodoo angle.

The interesting thing is... in the original tabletop game, the Voodoo Boys were basically white guys really into Haitian Creole culture. It was CDPR's decision to make them authentically Haitian.
Yup, this is a good discussion to have. It's great CDPR tried to have more representation in this game. Can't expect everything to be perfect when you're doing something new in an industry of same ol'.

Last edited:
Voodoo nonsense. It's not good. But I'm OK with it existing and being a mainstream representation of a marginalized, traditionally underrepresented community, if we can at least critique it. I'm not going to ignore everything else great in this game. If you're going to do it, do it right. But at least we can have some Haitians in a game and discuss its portrayal failures. Super clear that I share Resetera's concerns about representation of marginalized, ignored groups being problematic. But the way to have that discussion isn't banning disagreement. That's not a discussion at all. This is some Chinese Communist Party nonsense and it's gross.

Yeah having a party line and then banning dissent from it doesn't really work for bringing issues out into the open. Especially because half the time they go off half-cocked and whatever conclusion they have drawn turns out not to be the case. But by the time that becomes clear they've painted themselves into a corner and it just gets ridiculous with anyone mentioning what now appears to be the truth getting banned because it's more important to them to hold the line on dogma than it is to thrash out the reality. Not that I'm saying the Voodoo thing is something like that but if you were to post that up there, everyone would agree with you and anyone that didn't wouldn't post. So no-ones actually learning anything, they're just sitting in their own silos.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Lol so are you on the side of the shitty at their jobs mainstream journalists who refuse to play the whole game and are now throwing just as big a hissy fit over being called out on it? Even sadder tbh.

Really pathetic yall trying to shame people for watching you tubers, why not take that consumer shaming shit to Era if you want to berate others for their media choices?
Watched a few of his videos that got linked and he seems like a really bitter dude. Very much the "spurned nerd" vibe.
So he is like every single poster on the Internet then? Lol seriously how is this different from 99% of social media posts? Idgi.

Last edited:

NickFire

No issues buying a game while still criticizing it. That's how we handle media. But if you're going to influence forum discussion about the game while still buying it, at least defend your thought process instead of handwaving it off. I'm interested to hear the rationale behind "can't you skip this game, it's gross the company is making money off of this bigoted behavior" and "[screenshots of my playthrough]." That's very different than "I have these issues with this game" and "[screenshots of my playthrough]."

Super clear here that I'm on Resetera's side of calling out these problematic representation issues with the game. But I am not in support of how they've handled it. There's no discussion -- just silencing. And again, near zero discussion of POC issues when compared to transgender issues. Someone on Resetera please raise this unequal treatment of problematic issues. Black Resetera OT members got silenced after raising Haitian gang representation concerns. Is it because only one of these issues affects white people...?
I hope you are learning a valuable lesson about one of the dangers inherent with identity politics. It turns human beings, such as yourself and everyone else, into a commodity used to gain and hold power. But the values of commodities rise and fall over time. And that results in those holding power to give more importance to the commodity with the most value while ignoring the less valued commodities. But we are talking human beings here. And human beings should never gain or lose value based on immutable characteristics and what drives clicks on any given day.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope you are learning a valuable lesson about one of the dangers inherent with identity politics. It turns human beings, such as yourself and everyone else, into a commodity used to gain and hold power. But the values of commodities rise and fall over time. And that results in those holding power to give more importance to the commodity with the most value while ignoring the less valued commodities. But we are talking human beings here. And human beings should never gain or lose value based on immutable characteristics and what drives clicks on any given day.
Why are you pulling a Resetera and bringing politics into this?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lol so are you on the side of the shitty at their jobs mainstream journalists who refuse to play the whole game and are now throwing just as big a hissy fit over being called out on it? Even sadder tbh.

Really pathetic yall trying to shame people for watching you tubers, why not take that consumer shaming shit to Era if you want to berate others for their media choices?

So he is like every single poster on the Internet then? Lol seriously how is this different from 99% of social media posts? Idgi.

Not sure if this was directed at me, but no I'm not taking any sides. I don't give a shit about the gaming journalists, either, and certainly don't think anyone should be reviewing games if they haven't played them to completion, but that ship sailed long ago.

I wouldn't shame anyone for their YouTube viewing choices--was just posting the impression I got of the guy and why he didn't resonate with me.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

If you're looking to give them feedback, give them feedback on their own website.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The funny thing is Quartering only pointed out they are shit at their jobs. They are the ones calling for him to be removed from YouTube. He didn’t organise a campaign to get this girl fired. That is what they are doing to him. Yet he is the bad guy! And they are the victims. Lol ok

Last edited:

Necro900

Lol, Rubmifer on page 173 asked Kyuuji what made her decide to play the game anyways... and that part of the post has now been mysteriously edited out. Did some DMs occur? The plot thickens. She is clearly playing it, but doesn't want people to talk about the fact that she is.

Also, apparently, the muzzo guy conveniently could play the game without paying as it has been gifted to his SO (yeah, right), but decides he doesn't want to cause it'd show up on his steam activities. Imma place my bets that it's just a failsafe post, in case his sticky thread friends do see him play it on steam... which is bound to happen, since apparently every single obnoxious fucker from that thread somehow has access to a guilt-free copy of the game.

NickFire

Why are you pulling a Resetera and bringing politics into this?

I dislike the joke posts here that don't have a disclaimer on them. It gets out of hand here and misinformation spreads. Please consider adding a "/s" or something on your joke posts. Otherwise, I'm stuck going back to Resetera to verify info.

I was responding to these parts of your post. To me it felt like you were using identity politics to try shaming them into letting you back in, while complaining about what you perceived to be their favored identity politics du jour. My response to that was an effort to educate you on how destructive identity politics can be. If I misunderstood your intent then please accept my apologies.

If you're looking to give them feedback, give them feedback on their own website.

He probably just wants to voice his frustration without being banned over there. I'm still stunned I haven't been banned for posting here yet. But that's my guess. If he posted that exact same thing there, it would be 2 weeks, maybe perma depending on who sees it and complains.

Bboy AJ

I was responding to these parts of your post. To me it felt like you were using identity politics to try shaming them into letting you back in, while complaining about what you perceived to be their favored identity politics du jour. My response to that was an effort to educate you on how destructive identity politics can be. If I misunderstood your intent then please accept my apologies.
No, we're good. I absolutely appreciate your post. Just me pointing out their hypocrisy. We agree. Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:
Someone on Resetera please raise this unequal treatment of problematic issues

He probably just wants to voice his frustration without being banned over there. I'm still stunned I haven't been banned for posting here yet. But that's my guess. If he posted that exact same thing there, it would be 2 weeks, maybe perma depending on who sees it and complains.
My guess is asking someone to go over there and raise the concern

My guess is asking someone to go over there and raise the concern

Perhaps that too. But anyone who does will face the hammer too. Which is really fucked up. I'm glad that I came back here though. It's good to see discussions about games without every 3rd post being part of a non-gaming agenda. Which really I support most of, but I don't like getting brow beat every 30 seconds by a message I already support!

Raven117

Someone on Resetera please raise this unequal treatment of problematic issues.
I think this is the line that's the problem. You are trying to effectuate change on Reset from Gaf. Moreover, you are doing it under the freedom of posting here on Gaf because you are concerned about how Reset will react to criticism. Let that sink in. And where you want to post going forward.

But that said, your post is dead on in the way they are handling it. Please feel free to keep up voicing your concerns about the game here on Gaf. Thats what discussions boards are for.

Last edited:

Bboy AJ

Im still super unclear on what the issue is with CP 2077. I know they feel it is transphobic, but exactly why...
I see the issue being marginalized communities don't have much representation. So when they do, it's important to get it right. Otherwise, the very little representation that exists will skew majority perception that only gets a little exposure to it. Which is fair, I think. For example, sexualizing a transgendered woman via the Mix It Up poster. That's fair. But what's also fair is to say... That's the point of the poster. It's sexualizing and commoditizing everyone. We can have a discussion on how much that affects things, how they should have gone about it, etc. But... we can't have that discussion, apparently, because if you express a more nuanced opinion, you're a bigot.

I get concern trolling. I get the social media concerns (legit concern that was addressed) painting the interpretation of the rest of the game. I get the other stereotyping concerns in the game. So lets discuss it?

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Im still super unclear on what the issue is with CP 2077. I know they feel it is transphobic, but exactly why...
I think anytime someone (cis for want of a better word) wants to be inclusive and include trans people, some small few are grifters who keep complaining until they get a job. It’s fucking sad.

Trans people are fine, they just have bad luck with the fucking vocal idiots ruining it for everyone else.

Kyuuji is a cunt but if she is using she then use it too. Its not that hard. The complaints of that rat should be based on their actions and not what they are.

Edit: last part not aimed at you Soapy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think anytime someone (cis for want of a better word) wants to be inclusive and include trans people, some small few are grifters who keep complaining until they get a job. It’s fucking sad.

Trans people are fine, they just have bad luck with the fucking vocal idiots ruining it for everyone else.

Kyuuji is a cunt but if she is using she then use it too. Its not that hard. The complaints of that rat should be based on their actions and not what they are.

Edit: last part not aimed at you Soapy

I agree with what you're saying in general. In real life, I would never misgender a trans man or woman if I knew what they presented as going into the conversation.

With that said, I can see why certain people don't want to play along with the larping of people like Kyuuji and excelsiorlef. Their behavior and personality traits as exhibited by their posts are prototypical of bitter and obsessive male nerds. The only difference is that they claim they are trans women and use that as a shield and immunity card. The reality is that they are angry white dudes, but they somehow managed to weasel their way into "positions of power" on their forum of choice and get to lord over everyone else. It's ludicrous.

Perhaps that too. But anyone who does will face the hammer too. Which is really fucked up. I'm glad that I came back here though. It's good to see discussions about games without every 3rd post being part of a non-gaming agenda. Which really I support most of, but I don't like getting brow beat every 30 seconds by a message I already support!
Certainly sucks if true. Sounds like it is. Perhaps if they had more members united on the issue. However that is incredibly time consuming for a hobby. If I had to put in that much work here, I wouldn’t be here lol.

Probably just easier to play the game and discuss it on a private discord.
I see the issue being marginalized communities don't have much representation. So when they do, it's important to get it right. Otherwise, the very little representation that exists will skew majority perception that only gets a little exposure to it. Which is fair, I think. For example, sexualizing a transgendered woman via the Mix It Up poster. That's fair. But what's also fair is to say... That's the point of the poster. It's sexualizing and commoditizing everyone. We can have a discussion on how much that affects things, how they should have gone about it, etc. But... we can't have that discussion, apparently, because if you express a more nuanced opinion, you're a bigot.

I get concern trolling. I get the social media concerns (legit concern that was addressed) painting the interpretation of the rest of the game. I get the other stereotyping concerns in the game. So lets discuss it?
All for discussion. And how people feel and react to something is meaningful to that individual. Forcing it on others is the issue imo.

However while the poster on its own may seem out there, just a few hours in the game it seems very much at home. No more out of place in CP than any fashion ad in Times Square. It isn’t silly parody like what you would see in GTA 5.

ISIhWlk.jpg

Amazing strat!

w83jV8P.jpg

AMAZING loophole. He “gifted it” to his SO who he knows won’t play it, so now I guess he has no choice but to do so himself. Can’t make this shit up. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
"haha I'm just getting it to see how BAD it is, guys! I'll let you know how PROBLEMATIC it is haha!" It's really funny to see these people try to justify why they're getting it without getting banned.

Eventually it's gonna be them talking about how much they hate the game despite playing like 40 hours of it and starting their second playthrough.

Last edited:

NickFire

You know the expression about the road to hell being paved with good intentions? I believe that asking for representation is good, but that the quest to get it right FURTHER marginalizes these communities. In my view when a segment of a marginalized community declares what a marginalized community is supposed to be portrayed as, it causes anyone who is part of the marginalized community but does not meet those standards to feel like they don't belong even more than they did before.

But I'm just conversing with you, and by no means do I disagree with your point about the importance of discussion.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Don’t look now their transphobic thread is full of people wanting to play the game anyways.

Also the game has circumcision in it so it is now anti Semitic

Last edited:
I really think the bulk of it stems from those social media posts from a couple years ago. Their social media person made a few transphobic jokes, and though it was dealt with, IIRC it wasn't dealt with in a way that the ResetEra community found satisfactory. From that point on, the burden of proof was on CDPR to show that they weren't transphobic and everything they do is viewed through that lens. For example, the "Mix it up" poster (and really, any of the transgender representation that exists in the game) is being looked at from the perspective of "this is the creation of a company that's known to be transphobic" and that colors everything. The statement "CDPR is transphobic" isn't up for debate on ResetEra, so any discussion of the elements in CP2077 deemed problematic can't escape that "truth".

Kyuuji was questioned about a post they had made expressing enjoyment at a minigme in 2077, someone asked why they boght the game and hmmmmm for some reason that original post she made about the minigame is edited and replaced with a random gif.

Really makes ya think.

I would be eye rolling but not bothered if they were at least consistent in their beliefs and stuck to their ideals. But the absolute naked hypocrisy of this is breathtaking. You can spend months upon months saying the game is hateful and disgusting and the devs are awful people but just add "Oh wowzers I was having a bad day and I was bored so I just got the game/oh my husband had a copy and gave it to me for free" and you get all the wonderful accolades and woke points AND you get to play the game.

Fucking appalling.

Last edited:

Hazu

Kyuuji was questioned about a post they had made expressing enjoyment at a minigme in 2077, someone asked why they boght the game and hmmmmm for some reason that original post she made about the minigame is edited and replaced with a random gif.

Really makes ya think.

Yeah but.. it must be so hard for "her" to play the game!!

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I really think the bulk of it stems from those social media posts from a couple years ago. Their social media person made a few transphobic jokes, and though it was dealt with, IIRC it wasn't dealt with in a way that the ResetEra community found satisfactory. From that point on, the burden of proof was on CDPR to show that they weren't transphobic and everything they do is viewed through that lens. For example, the "Mix it up" poster (and really, any of the transgender representation that exists in the game) is being looked at from the perspective of "this is the creation of a company that's known to be transphobic" and that colors everything. The statement "CDPR is transphobic" isn't up for debate on ResetEra, so any discussion of the elements in CP2077 deemed problematic can't escape that "truth".
Exactly, who is going to try and be inclusive as saying it puts a target on the back. The sooner media can normalise minorities/trans/gay (treat everyone the same, good or bad) and don't use it as a character trait. That's lazy. Harassing devs that try to be inclusive will turn off the tap for future efforts. In the end you have a drought with an oasis of Goodbye Volcano High. Sweet suffering Jesus

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Someone on steam has trolled them by saying you can shag in the game with a circumsticed dick and they’re all losing their minds :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Will someone go on and say that some women won't have sex with you if you're circumcised as some characters are anti-semetic.

NickFire

Someone on steam has trolled them by saying you can shag in the game with a circumsticed dick and they’re all losing their minds :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I must be really old because I don't understand how you can possibly troll someone over being circumcised. Is this a new thing that people get mad about?

I must be really old because I don't understand how you can possibly troll someone over being circumcised. Is this a new thing that people get mad about?
One of the greatest internet meltdowns of all time was a dude having a gigantic ultra turbo meltdown over the issue of circumcision and vandalizing almost every single article in the Silent Hill wiki to crowbar a reference to the character/monster/level having something to do with it.

Like, not just a dumb sentence inserted into a single article, I'm talking dozens upon dozens of gigantic essay length discussions on how the character or monster was actually a deep symbolic discussion on circumcision. Like, most of them were longer than most term papers I submitted in college.

NickFire

One of the greatest internet meltdowns of all time was a dude having a gigantic ultra turbo meltdown over the issue of circumcision and vandalizing almost every single article in the Silent Hill wiki to crowbar a reference to the character/monster/level having something to do with it.

Like, not just a dumb sentence inserted into a single article, I'm talking dozens upon dozens of gigantic essay length discussions on how the character or monster was actually a deep symbolic discussion on circumcision. Like, most of them were longer than most term papers I submitted in college.
I missed that one. Probably for the best.

Chuckie

The troll said that if you choose a circumsized dick, you have less romantic options. Of course some in Resetera jumped on it and called it anti semitism...which was expected from a company like CDPR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom