• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rillania

Gold Member
I must be really old because I don't understand how you can possibly troll someone over being circumcised. Is this a new thing that people get mad about?

Yes. I know they've had a few topics in the past about how circumcision is male genital mutilation, and they think it should be a choice a male makes as an adult on whether or not they should get circumcised. They've gotten extremely heated. Pretty sure I remember more than a few posters equating it to being on the same level as female genital mutilation.

Last edited:
I don't wanna backseat mod, but this tends to be a pretty heated topic of discussion so it might be a good idea to shift it to its own topic before it mutates like the T-Virus and takes over the thread.

NickFire

Yes. I know they've had a few topics in the past about how circumcision is male genital mutilation, and they think it should be a choice a male makes as an adult on whether or not they should get circumcised. They've gotten extremely heated. Pretty sure I remember more than a few posters equating it to being on the same level as female genital mutilation.
Well, then, I guess I hope that they stick to their principals and only purchase non-circumcized dildos.

Ymir

Damn, Kyuuji really went back and edited the post. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeah that's gonna be a yikes from me!

He updated it to a gif of a gun? WTF?
Lol, Rubmifer on page 173 asked Kyuuji what made her decide to play the game anyways... and that part of the post has now been mysteriously edited out. Did some DMs occur? The plot thickens. She is clearly playing it, but doesn't want people to talk about the fact that she is.

Also, apparently, the muzzo guy conveniently could play the game without paying as it has been gifted to his SO (yeah, right), but decides he doesn't want to cause it'd show up on his steam activities. Imma place my bets that it's just a failsafe post, in case his sticky thread friends do see him play it on steam... which is bound to happen, since apparently every single obnoxious fucker from that thread somehow has access to a guilt-free copy of the game.

He keeps trying to confuse the issue by refusing to say they bought it so they sound like they don't own it. Also trying to say it's because it's a rainy day so that's why they're posting so much about updates to a "game they don't own"
Eh I post a lot in general and it's a rainy day lol. I don't feel like the issues are being overshadowed with what was worked out and reading some of the sentiment in here. I guess to that extent I don't feel like constantly picking the hammer up as much as when they were, or rather it's not not tiring to do so. Checking this or this out might also help you for context though. It's also remarkable in a literal sense just how flawed this title ended up being, in a number of ways. If they had removed the trans concerns and the more juvenile writing, imagery and elements I'd have assumed – especially with the delays – that the experience of release for what the majority of time it was planned to release for – that is, last gen consoles – would have been a relatively decent one. Having a release with poor fidelity and even more bugs than one experiences in "king of jank" Bethesda titles is kind of wild.

So you still have a mix of amusement and surprise around that, cut with how shitty it is of them, while also finding the elements that are interesting, well, interesting. I've said it a few times now but it feels like there's half of this game that had its head on straight, was focused and designed well and then it collided with a second half of just the most base sort of juvenile humour and thought. It's a really bizarre product as a consequence lol.

Last edited:
I see the issue being marginalized communities don't have much representation. So when they do, it's important to get it right. Otherwise, the very little representation that exists will skew majority perception that only gets a little exposure to it. Which is fair, I think. For example, sexualizing a transgendered woman via the Mix It Up poster. That's fair. But what's also fair is to say... That's the point of the poster. It's sexualizing and commoditizing everyone. We can have a discussion on how much that affects things, how they should have gone about it, etc. But... we can't have that discussion, apparently, because if you express a more nuanced opinion, you're a bigot.

I get concern trolling. I get the social media concerns (legit concern that was addressed) painting the interpretation of the rest of the game. I get the other stereotyping concerns in the game. So lets discuss it?

You can't really have a nuanced discussion over there, and if you bring that concern up you'll just be met with the standard responses like ''Go on....'' or ''Tell us how you really feel'', etc. They'll just think you're an alt right troll and just ban you if you actually try to continue the discussion. I'm sure the majority of people they ban are pro LGBT and not racist at all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I must be really old because I don't understand how you can possibly troll someone over being circumcised. Is this a new thing that people get mad about?

GAF has a long and storied history of contentious debate about circumcision.

Soodanim

Haitian gang members is lazy stereotyping. Here's a quick article.

Voodoo nonsense. It's not good. But I'm OK with it existing and being a mainstream representation of a marginalized, traditionally underrepresented community, if we can at least critique it. I'm not going to ignore everything else great in this game. If you're going to do it, do it right. But at least we can have some Haitians in a game and discuss its portrayal failures. Super clear that I share Resetera's concerns about representation of marginalized, ignored groups being problematic. But the way to have that discussion isn't banning disagreement. That's not a discussion at all. This is some Chinese Communist Party nonsense and it's gross.

I loaded up my purchased copy of Cyberpunk 2077 last night. This game is going to be awesome.

Yup, this is a good discussion to have. It's great CDPR tried to have more representation in this game. Can't expect everything to be perfect when you're doing something new in an industry of same ol'.
Forgive my ignorance, but I’ve never heard of a stereotype of black people that says they will betray you. With the example given, of being warned by a white man in a suit that a violent gang of Haitians will betray you doesn’t evoke any inkling race problems, and saying there’s any racial subtext to that sounds like the sort of bullshit metaphor and mock illusory pattern syndrome that I’d make up if I was being stupid on purpose for a joke.

Not only that, but it’s the same sort of lack of faith in people that got people up in arms about GTA. The suggestion that people can’t play GTA without wanting to steal cars and kill prostitutes is no different to suggesting people will see a white man suggest a gang of black people will betray you and thinking “Fuck, I had better remember that for real life.” You could replace the Haitian gang with posh white English people and nothing would change, because the point isn’t that race makes people unreliable partners but that bad people are going to double cross you.

teezzy

Banned
giantanteater.jpg

I wonder what they will find problematic from tonight's TGA :

- Smash character is a male!
- TLOU 2 don't win GOTY award
- New Hogwarts trailer
- ?
- Cyberpunk 2077 commercial during each break.
- Keanu Reeves appearance hyping the game

In general, I kinda want to see the event feel like a glorified launch party for CP2077 and see what sort of shit storm would ensue.

I see the issue being marginalized communities don't have much representation.

No one is owed anything. No majority or minority is owed anything.
The Cis "community" and the Trans "community" are not owed the labour of CD Projekt Red, especially since a game is not a manifesto, certainly not a pamphlet approved by a bureaucrat for the supposed betterment of society.

Moreover, individual Trans people exist, but the trans community is merely an abstraction, an amorphous aggregate. So just like you would never attempt to Represent white males, because there is nothing in common between millions of white males other than their sex and complexion, there is nothing in common among Trans people either. Tell me , what do Libertarian Trans men and Leninist Trans men have in common that bears representing? What do Trans theists and Trans atheists have in common? You are de facto de-humanising Trans people by reducing their entire humanhood to a single attribute - gender - ignoring all other dimensions of their personality and identity and still grouping them all up in one supposedly monolithic "community" that can be represented by a character or cast of characters.

There is nothing to represent.

Doubtlessly, some Trans people are great human beings, others are so and so and others still are not that recommendable. Some are hard working, others are mediocre and others still lazy. Some are very bright and articulate others may be on par with Forest Gump. There is nothing to represent. And if there is nothing to represent then Representation itself is a well-meaning but ultimately misguided and counterproductive effort which should be rejected altogether as fallacious.

So when they do, it's important to get it right.

Since there is nothing to represent, there cannot possibly exist "right" representation. Additionally, the role of fiction isn't to mirror reality. Essay, philosophy, those are the ideal domains for systematically and truthfully examining and explaining reality. Fiction is downright a terrible medium for that goal. It's like attempting to drink Cherry coke though a vacuum cleaner tube.

Otherwise, the very little representation that exists will skew majority perception that only gets a little exposure to it.

Representation is a profoundly mistaken concept.

What does change minds and touches hearts is direct contact with Trans people and realizing, fundamentally, they are no different, no better and no worse than any other arbitrary group of human beings.

Which is fair, I think. For example, sexualizing a transgendered woman via the Mix It Up poster. That's fair. But what's also fair is to say... That's the point of the poster. It's sexualizing and commoditizing everyone.

Define sexualization in objective terms and explain why it's" bad".

We can have a discussion on how much that affects things, how they should have gone about it, etc. But... we can't have that discussion, apparently, because if you express a more nuanced opinion, you're a bigot.

That's their own shortcoming.

I get concern trolling. I get the social media concerns (legit concern that was addressed) painting the interpretation of the rest of the game. I get the other stereotyping concerns in the game. So lets discuss it?

Sure.
Provide good arguments and indeed be prepared to defend them.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Cultivate 2077

A few people have started to call out Kyuuji, but she's playing the "I didn't actually pay for the game, so it's okay" defense.

Cf0IOt7.png
LOL Kyuuji already going hard about not buying the game and that people should read his posts

I love how everything he posts are just straight up lies but no one can say anything because he's untouchable now
At any moment she could have said NO THANKS✋playing this videogame is beneath me for X reason, but instead she is enjoying a free copy (bugs notwithstanding)

But that wouldn't be any fun 😈this all reads like TransERA has a gun on her head and Kyuuji is obligated to play Cyberpunk against her will

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
LOL they are now going Straight up NAZI

That sounds more like a "modest proposal" style dark humor sarcasm take.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If it would be another Forum I would agree. But this is resetera in a thread in which people argue how shitty gamers actually are.
Perhaps, but as a general rule, if there are traditional attempts at sarcasm woven into the text, it's more charitable to assume it's supposed to be a joke rather than inflammatory. You'd want them to give the more, err, "creative" posts here the same benefit of the doubt.

LordCBH

Necro900

able6ak3s.jpg

I mean should disabled NPCs in the game be glued to their wheelchairs if you happen to run them with your car or punch them? Should they not be represented in the game at all?

If anything, from my experience with handicapped people it's this kind of "you're special!" approach they hate. They want to feel normal and accepted, not some special weak human being everyone should bend over to. By attaching their handicap to their identity they're actually making disabled people feel worse, but that flies right over their outraged heads.

I'm fairly sure the tweet author cringed at the "wow you can punch disabled people, cool!" attitude, not at the idea disabled people could be represented in a gamee the same as other characters. But wouldn't you know, everything on that board gets reduced to a bingo of empty words. Watch "ableism" be the next big thing in that sticky thread.

also still haven't seen a disabled npc in the game, so there's that

Last edited:

Ymir

able6ak3s.jpg

I mean should disabled NPCs in the game be glued to their wheelchairs if you happen to run them with your car or punch them? Should they not be represented in the game at all?

If anything, from my experience with handicapped people it's this kind of "you're special!" approach they hate. They want to feel normal and accepted, not some special weak human being everyone should bend over to. By attaching their handicap to their identity they're actually making disabled people feel worse, but that flies right over their outraged heads.

I'm fairly sure the tweet author cringed at the "wow you can punch disabled people, cool!" attitude, not at the idea disabled people could be represented in a gamee the same as other characters. But wouldn't you know, everything on that board gets reduced to a bingo of empty words. Watch "ableism" be the next big thing in that sticky thread.

LOL, they want realism but realism is damaging and ableist.

Isn't that the same forum that was whining because you could not kill kids in a game not so long ago? I am trying to remember the game

YIKES!!!!!! WTF??????

Last edited:

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
The funny thing about their earlier bitching and whining for a full non-binary character in the character creator, and their ’sex being decided by their voice OMG TRANSPHOBIA!!!! Why don’t they just refer to the main charcter in a non-binary way!?’ : is that the game (at least so far in the English version) seems to refer to the main character in completely non-binary terms...I have not heard a single gendered comment towards the main character yet.

Edit: Talking about Cyberpunk 2077 if it wasn’t clear lol

Last edited:

Irobot82

No one is owed anything. No majority or minority is owed anything.
The Cis "community" and the Trans "community" are not owed the labour of CD Projekt Red, especially since a game is not a manifesto, certainly not a pamphlet approved by a bureaucrat for the supposed betterment of society.

Moreover, individual Trans people exist, the trans community is merely an abstraction, an amorphous aggregate. So just like you would never attempt to Represent white males, because there is nothing in common between millions of white males other than their sex and complexion, there is nothing in common among Trans people either. Tell me , what do Libertarian Trans men and Leninist Trans men have in common that bears representing? What do Trans theists and Trans atheists have in common? You are de facto de-humanising Trans people by reducing their entire humanhood to a single attribute - gender - ignoring all other dimensions of their personality and identity and still grouping them all up in one supposedly monolithic "community" that can be represented by a character or cast of characters.

There is nothing to represent.

Doubtlessly, some Trans people are great human beings, others are so and so and others still are not that recommendable. Some are hard working, others are mediocre and others still lazy. Some are very bright and articulate others may be on par with Forest Gump. There is nothing to represent. And if there is nothing to represent then Representation itself is a well-meaning but ultimately misguided and counterproductive effort which should be rejected altogether as falalcious.

Since there is nothing to represent, there cannot possibly exist "right" representation. Additionally, the role of fiction isn't to mirror reality. Essay, philosophy, those are the ideal domains for systematically and truthfully examine and explain reality. Fiction is downright a terrible medium for that goal. It's like attempting to drink Cherry coke though a vacuum cleaner tube.

Representation is a profoundly mistaken concept.

What does change minds and touches hearts is direct contact with Trans people and realizing, fundamentally, they are no different, no better and no worse than any other arbitrary group of human beings.

Define sexualization in objective terms and explain why it's" bad".

That's their own shortcoming.

Sure.
Provide good arguments and indeed be prepared to defend them.
This is gold donation worthy but I see you already have it. Well thought out. Wow.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
80% of trans murders occur in South and Central America. It’s such a shame that those Central American people learned transphobia from playing Polish videogames. Also odd how that influence didn’t rub off anywhere else, just So/C America. But yes let’s blame the Polish game developers for violence happening on the other side of the world.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It's Resetera so you probably mean fuck, not kill.
Tbf “F them kids“ was the most popular response on this pathetic thread:

Last edited:

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Tbf “F them kids“ was the most popular response on this pathetic thread:

’Once upon a time 3 ResetEra posters went on a canoeing trip with a bunch of kids. The ResetEra posters are in one boat and the kids in the other. Suddenly there are some big waves coming in and the canoe with the children tips over and they all start drowning. The first ResetEra poster says: ”We should jump in and save the kids!”, the second says: “Fuck the kids!”, the third says: “You think we have time?”.’

Last edited:

nush

able6ak3s.jpg

ReasonableAbandonedHalibut-max-1mb.gif

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
’Once upon a time 3 ResetEra posters went on a canoeing trip with a bunch of kids. The ResetEra posters are in one boat and the kids in the other. Suddenly there are some big waves coming in and the canoe with the children tips over and they all start drowning. The first ResetEra poster says: ”We should jump in and save the kids!”, the second says: “Fuck the kids!”, the third says: “You think we have time?”.’
It's a true story, Tay Tay told me so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom