• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrCheese

Just happened here where a user true to the wokeness of Resetera pointed out that "bastard" is a discriminatory slur, too

It absolutely is & they *instantly* launch into an ACAB spamfest. They are tarring huge amounts of people with the same brush. Again - Not actual hate filled Nazi's, or mass murders - Cops. Ordinary people of every gender, race, interest group etc who come from their own communities. *Of course* there are complete asshole cops, but any large grouping of humans will naturally have some assholes in it - Find me a community that doesn't - It's how you deal with those individuals that matters.

I'm sure this could be labelled as a "Not all x" defence, which is equally insane.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Nah. I was on GAF for years and that stuff happened for ages before the split. You just put up with it and sometimes all the drama was fun. It was still the best games forum by far despite that. Then the split happened and lots of people got banned from here so went with the flow and even if you weren't banned, GAF got absolutely hollowed out. At that point, Resetera felt much more like the 'real' GAF than GAF did, all the users were there, all the traffic, so of course people went across. Didn't mean they were into the political stuff, that was just part of the experience for better or worse. For all intents and purposes GAF was dead at that point.

And then Resetera started getting worse and GAF started getting better. And MANY, MANY people got banned repeatedly. I think 'normal' Reset users then split into three camps. Some people just stayed the same, said what they wanted to say and kept making jokes. Those people were banned into oblivion. Other people changed themselves to fit in with the radicalising culture. And a third group just decided to ignore all the nonsense, keep their heads down and keep out of all the crazy graveyard threads. First group has probably been back here for a while, second group will go down with the ship, third group are probably the ones coming back now.

sounds about right, I definitely fell into the 3rd group & I got banned over the weekend for nothing I did on Era but because they must have seen that I posted in the TGA threads on both here & there

and honestly Era has gotten really bad but there's still good people posting there & things like the Nintendo Indie World Showcase yesterday had an active thread discussing it on Era but there was nothing here on GAF

it's not like there isn't possibly some value to Era still, they're just actively destroying it by banning people en masse lately & letting a tiny minority run roughshod over everyone else

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I really don't understand why people offending police are not banned considering how generic and unneeded is. Specially when you offend family members of users. How is this even allowed and justified by both mods and community? It's a double standard and no one raises questions?

You can raise questions, sure. But you'll be banned and your post history may be "lost."

CGiRanger

Banned
It absolutely is & they *instantly* launch into an ACAB spamfest. They are tarring huge amounts of people with the same brush. Again - Not actual hate filled Nazi's, or mass murders - Cops. Ordinary people of every gender, race, interest group etc who come from their own communities. *Of course* there are complete asshole cops, but any large grouping of humans will naturally have some assholes in it - Find me a community that doesn't - It's how you deal with those individuals that matters.

I'm sure this could be labelled as a "Not all x" defence, which is equally insane.
And in their narrow, demented brains, they only look at cops from a (flawed) Amercentric pov, and not seem to even consider the cops all over the world. And still believe that their "ACAB" view is correct, let alone shared by anything other than a psychotic fringe.

PoundSand

Banned

This is what I hate, too:

"Not all ..." is fucking okay! As is "Both side".

Resetera-types keep dismissing any sentences that use those phrases by using cheap buzzwords and ridicule, but they never actually address the argument at hand.

It is such a basic, natural truth imo that never everyone from a group is "something". Not all nazi Germans were bad. Not all priests are homophobic. Not all muslims are terrorists. Not all cops are bad. Not all pedophiles are monsters. Not all Republicans are strict capitalists. And likewise: Both left and right have their issues. Both atheism and theism makes sense. Both warm and cold pizza is delicious. And so on, both sides.

Meanwhile, you write a sentence like that and these insane people just dogpile you mercilessly without entering the debate, only going for cheap ad hominems, because THEY have chosen: "You mustn't use these grammatical structures!!1" :/

This is another one of the cult-like mechanisms: By dismissing these phrases, they can always escape an argument that would otherwise question their pov. Like, in my mind it is just utterly insane that anyone could take issue with "not all cops are bad". That is such an obvious, natural, common sense truth. It makes no sense to assume otherwise. But here we are and if you post that on Resetera, you WILL be attacked and banned for supporting such statement. Insane. Utterly insane. And worse, they feel zero remorse. It's creepy, honestly. If there was money involved, I'd think Resetera is a sect.

teezzy

Banned
I have to say this thread has been cathartic. I'm a pretty progressive, gay male, but that place is too much. They'll ban a trump supporter but basically run the site like a dictatorship if you don't agree with every single thing they supposedly stand for.

We have fun here, man. It's like hanging out with friends. Yeah well bust balls, yeah were prone to "locker room talk", yeah I'll occasionally DM -Arcadia- -Arcadia- begging to buy her used socks, but you'll find yourself in a very tight knit community. It really is one where the more you put in, the more you get out of it. If someone gets out of line, fire right back, and we laugh it off. It's a lot healthier mentally than Era ever will be.

Glad to have ya honestly. Now get yourself an avatar, scrub 😊

What a fantastic fucking place.

A4vLRRC.jpg

Seems the transphobia thread grants its most vocal trolls complete immunity from every single alleged forum guideline. Amazing watching people wander in the thread, oblivious the allowed nastiness, and get instantly headshotted.

Last edited:
I've been lurking ResetEra for a while, and from what I've seen, it's a horrible community.

People who don't deserve to be banned when compared to others get unfairly banned, while troll posters who set people off (like ShironRedShift) get away with practically anything they do.

People can get banned for just saying something that a mod disagrees with (like if a Mod was a Biden Supporter, and you are support
supporting Trump all the way, BAM! Permabanned.)

ResetEra are in a mess with this whole TransEra business, and they really need to sort this out, that is just digging themselves into a deeper hole, and at the end of the day, people will start leaving, and coming back here, or they'll make another forum.

I don't like ResetEra's community a lot, most of the mods and admins are subpar, and it's clearly worse then here right now.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I just can't put up with it any more. It's just so, so unnecessary & so angry for no reason. If the guy had come in spouting all sorts of hateful garbage or was a known hate speaker then that's one thing - But simply asking for respect to be given both ways with no obvious agenda behind it does not in any way warrant it.

I rarely post, but I'm a long time lurker over there. They sometimes have some good gaming threads. But anything I post will just be slapped back with "Junior phase"
Any other forum you'd be allowed to call this terrible behaviour out - Over there it'll net you a ban.
I hate the response of junior or similar pathetic putdowns. It translates as I have no rebuttal so fuck you. GAF had it bad before the exodus and that mindset reeeeeee'd its way over to REE. Thank fuck its gone here. Put up or shut up.

teezzy

Banned
I hate the response of junior or similar pathetic putdowns. It translates as I have no rebuttal so fuck you. GAF had it bad before the exodus and that mindset reeeeeee'd its way over to REE. Thank fuck its gone here. Put up or shut up.

That was absolutely one of the things Era had sworn to course correct as well. Filthy hypocrites, the lot of 'em. Even the ones I'm chill with.

*spits into a bucket*

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
:messenger_open_mouth:
I have to say this thread has been cathartic. I'm a pretty progressive, gay male, but that place is too much. They'll ban a trump supporter but basically run the site like a dictatorship if you don't agree with every single thing they supposedly stand for.
They don't care about marginalized people. They don't care about anyone. They're the first people to call blacks "coons" and "uncle toms" for not putting up with their insane ideologies. If they truly cared about black people, they wouldn't say these hurtful things.

They don't care about gays. They'll call someone who's gay but conservative a traitor or whatever pet nickname they have to be condescending.

They call people who fight for women's rights "TERFs" if they don't believe that trans people should be able to do whatever they want to anyone.

They root for people to die.

They root for careers to be destroyed.

They laugh at people getting sick.

Sooner or later you just have to ask yourself "are these things good people who care about others do?" and I don't think it takes a particularly high intellect to find your answer.

I swear dog whistle is their favourite phrase, everywhere I go, “this is a dog whistle”, “that’s a dog whistle”.
It's a tone only Era can hear.
Yeah that stuff gave me the rest. Wtf is this.

It's crazy, couple of weeks ago I thought "man, I really am not up to date anymore because I don't understand all this Trans-stuff and why everyone is always asap offended." but it just wasn't me, that place really got crazy. Only figured all that stuff out yesterday because I noticed that Black Chamber Black Chamber got banned. He was the one with the most amazing threads for cyberpunk there, really enjoyed all of the topics he made.

Also hello Black Chamber Black Chamber !
Hello back👋😊

Balboa

JUST STOP already for Christs sake! What the fresh hell is wrong with these people? Poster asks for moderation of language, but is instantly & totally shut down. You can not preach tolerance by being so utterly hate-filled towards average people you haven't met, discussed anything with or have zero context of. (Read: Average, not sodding neonazi's!)

They love to point out this "Less than X posts" or "Junior phase" (Even if they're long term lurkers) - Maybe because they're so terrified of speaking anything they just don't bother? (Like why do you think I'm posting this here and not there?)

(Edit: With images)

Ms8VmxL.png

0VBlP61.png
This is where it stops being funny and now it's just painful, these people are seriously fucked up it's cult behaviour dialled up to 11. Every time someone goes in that thread it's like they got caught red handed trying to infiltrate Scientologies upper echelons.

DrCheese

It is totally pathetic. So what's the threshold, 50 posts? 100 posts? Over how many months years?
My account was created in 2017. I have 30 posts, all in the gaming area. I read the gaming stuff fairly often & have a grasp on the site culture (Ironically the reason I don't post much) - Yet I'd be considered "Junior phase"

nush

(insert obligatory Aliens reference)
BURKE
Well, I mean...I know this is an
emotional moment, but let's not
make snap judgments. Let's move
cautiously. First, this physical
installation had a substantial
dollar value attached to it --

RIPLEY
They can bill me. I got a tab
running. What's second?

BURKE
This is clearly an important
species we're dealing with here.
We can't just arbitrarily
exterminate them --

DapperSloth

They are always so incredibly angry over there, jesus tittyfucking christ on a bike. It's like they ate bathsalt and want to chomp on someones face every single time. I mean, the mental illness everybody has over there explains the rage and deathly anxiety they have going on over there, but still, lord all mighty get off that place and seek help for your aggression.

Raven117

I feel like these two sentiments are strongly tied together. Like, dealing with problematic stuff is per say not enjoyable imho. At least not in regards to the kind of stuff we are talking about here. This is not like overcoming a tough challenge and feeling like a puzzle solver in the process, which would be an exciting and fun thing to experience (and is actually a major source of enjoyment for many people who play videogames for that specific kind of challenge); this is about harsh, real life troubles that are not easily solved or going away, which more often than not you cannot do anything meaningful about in the short term, which feel exhausting and burdensome to deal with. So, the only layer of enjoyment that I can associate with that is if you do indeed feel a moral superiority complex of some kind, and if spotting and highlighting a game's troubled backgrounds feeds into this feeling of superiority, you get rewarded with a rush of endorphins.
I'll let you decide if this is healthy behaviour in the long run, but ultimately, it does come off like a self purpose rather than a true intent on dealing with and solving serious RL issues. You don't want to see problems solved, you want to see problems pop up so you can feel good about recognizing and acknowledging them and feel superior to the people who do not, don't want to or openly admit to simply not caring enough.
So basically, while you are mounting that moral high horse of yours, you are not riding it anywhere. Instead, you stay in the same place as everybody else, but feel better than them because you see yourself in a higher position - regardless the fact that you are not making more progress than anyone else.
Great post. This should be hanging in the museum of the internet when people come to look years from now about how stupid we all were.

Yellow Yoshi

Neo Member
They are always so incredibly angry over there, jesus tittyfucking christ on a bike. It's like they ate bathsalt and want to chomp on someones face every single time. I mean, the mental illness everybody has over there explains the rage and deathly anxiety they have going on over there, but still, lord all mighty get off that place and seek help for your aggression.

That's their secret, Cap.
In all seriousness, it's almost addicting watching that thread. Who's going to be the next enemy? Tune in tomorrow.

Now they're suspecting that multiple mods are bigots because they banned some users they liked. They're gonna try to cannibalize the staff before each other. Jesus, what a mess. I love this.

Also, is it just me, or does Shiron love the word "indeed"? He used it in three times in the same sentence.

Last edited:

PoundSand

Banned
Now they're suspecting that multiple mods are bigots because they banned some users they liked. They're gonna try to cannibalize the staff before each other. Jesus, what a mess. I love this.

Also, is it just me, or does Shiron love the word "indeed"? He used it in three times in the same sentence.

Pls link or screenshots, the rest of us wants in on the show :D

Christ these people....

qzTRpeJ.jpg
How is this person not banned. I am sure people have fathers/mothers/brothers/sisters/relatives/friends that are cops. Probably hard honest working man/woman just taking it each day to put food on the table and make bills. As I said before 3 of my friends are cops. They are not even close to racist. Just honest hard working man trying to support their family. One of them has a family with 2 kids and a house. He is just trying to make ends meet. Pay his bills and take care of his family. How is that making him a bad person ? Do these people even know how hard real life is ?

Last edited:
Pls link or screenshots, the rest of us wants in on the show :D
Well here's one that's in reference to a user that was banned. I don't even know the whole story to the situation. The user basically implied that the moderation staff may have bigots in them and was perm-banned for saying an erroneous thing. Here's a recent exchange that's particularly wild.

oXW2rPl.png

Fucking Shirion writing essays bigger than the ones i wrote during my university time.

Who the fuck is gonna read that? Hahahahahahah

#ARUAL All Reeeeee Users Are Lunatics if you guys are wondering

Last edited:

rob305

I've been lurking ResetEra for a while, and from what I've seen, it's a horrible community.

People who don't deserve to be banned when compared to others get unfairly banned, while troll posters who set people off (like ShironRedShift) get away with practically anything they do.

People can get banned for just saying something that a mod disagrees with (like if a Mod was a Biden Supporter, and you are support
supporting Trump all the way, BAM! Permabanned.)
Haha, people have gotten banned for way less like saying they dont want to vote for neither biden / trump. If you didnt vote biden youre a nazi, doesnt matter if you didnt vote at all. Youre either a nazi or nazi enabler and no better

Hobbess

Banned
Gonna briefly return to answer some questions, as I've just finished a research paper and want to take a break! (whoever gifted me gold member or whatever... why?)

I think this is one of the major problems you have (and a lot of people do), you only see discourse as battles where you have to fight and submit the other person to your line of thinking.

I disagree with this take. In Eric Barker's Barking of the Wrong Tree he discusses this wonderful idea from philosopher Daniel Dennett called the "war metaphor," where basically every conversation isn't a sharing of knowledge but a battle with a winner and loser, which is what you describe, but I don't believe applies to me, and here's why.

I am firm believer, outside of the internet, that if something is not adding value to my life - Get rid of it. And if I don't think I'm going to add value to something, it's not worth my time. So its not so much that I see discourse as battles (anymore, I totally used to be that type of person), but more so I look try and spend my time more wisely. Obviously until my ban on Era, I was not practicing that philosophy there (or in other places on the internet).

Additionally, that post you're quoting could have been worded and contextualized a lot better, so I can understand reading through a lot of the responses why it might come off wack.

So where's the enjoyment? All I ever see when people view video games through a critical lens is them being fucking miserable and whining about everything.

Critical discourse about video games that goes beyond the common practice of isolating the conversation to the game only is actually pretty niche if you're looking at the broad picture. It's not normalized, and when it happens, the reactions are pretty much always asking the same question: Why does it matter? Someone brings up how an Ad in cyberpunk is transphobic? Why does it matter? Characters in the game are LGBTQ? Why does it matter. Journalists highlight working conditions at companies that are abhorrent? Why does it matter?

I wasn't trying to be condescending when I said that the majority of people really do view video games through child-like beer goggles. And that's okay! I don't critically analyze every piece of media I consume either.

With that said, the enjoyment of viewing video games through a critical lens is

- Seeing how real life issues / themes are tied into a game's narrative.
- Understanding where certain inspirations come from.

There's way more factors, but ultimately I find it really does boil down to an enjoyment in gaining knowledge about everything that went into a piece of art.

If you do make a return, we want your opinion on the double standards of [IMG alt="Kyuuji"]https://www.neogaf.com/data/avatars/s/808/808351.jpg?1607572669[/IMG] Kyuuji and Cyberpunk. The biggest instigator of hatred for Cyberpunk playing Cyberpunk through the day of locked OT and through the trans era battle with the mods.

I love and respect Kyuuji. Full stop. She's incredibly smart and instrumental in my greater understanding of Trans issues and her thread about CDPR being transphobic was incredibly well done and invaluable. Being banned off of Era does not change my fondness for TransEra at all.

Kyuuji playing Cyberpunk isn't hypocritical, and here's why I think this - It's important and ethical to consume media that you perceive as problematic assuming that you're going into the consumption understanding why said media is problematic. I don't think its a black and white issue, and especially for critics, its important to understand the subject you're criticizing in-depth if you're wanting to make a convincing argument about why said thing is problematic and wrong, and needs to be fixed.

I know a ton of you will read that and think "jesus fucking christ this clown" but at the end of the day my grievances will always be towards how Era staff manage issues brought up by marginalized groups in the community, usually never with individuals on a personal level.

How do you feel about ResetEra labeling people nazis, transphobes and bigots?

Hi Black Chamber! There's a post a few pages where you list me as the second prominent member that needs to be banned, so I think you got your wish!

I think ultimately in many cases if someone does something that can be perceived as one of those labels, just in general internet users will be broad about their labeling. There's almost zero chance people are going to assume good faith, and without context in situations that really require it, you're gonna have situations that really do just boil down to people throwing those labels out.

Last edited:

Hobbess

Banned
H Hobbess

Honest question: Do you think Trans Era's behavior surrounding Cyberpunk 2077 was helpful towards the cause of trans acceptance in people who weren't already allies?

I think in general if someone isn't looking to be an ally or looking to be genuinely informed about some sociopolitical issue, they're going to dismiss concerns about subjects they find interesting.

In the case of the CDPR and subsequently Cyberpunk 2077 concerns, from what I remember, there were tons of people who I had never seen in any trans issue related threads that dropped by Kyuuji's thread and were like "oh wow, okay, that makes sense and I fully support this."

So yeah, I do think it was helpful. But as always when sociopolitical issues are applied to video games, you will absolutely have the opposite take effect.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Can we please all agree to hear Shiron's posts in nothing but the Town Cryer's voice from Monty Python?

"HERE YE, HERE YE" etc. ...

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Gonna briefly return to answer some questions, as I've just finished a research paper and want to take a break! (whoever gifted me gold member or whatever... why?)

I disagree with this take. In Eric Barker's Barking of the Wrong Tree he discusses this wonderful idea from philosopher Daniel Dennett called the "war metaphor," where basically every conversation isn't a sharing of knowledge but a battle with a winner and loser, which is what you describe, but I don't believe applies to me, and here's why.

I am firm believer, outside of the internet, that if something is not adding value to my life - Get rid of it. And if I don't think I'm going to add value to something, it's not worth my time. So its not so much that I see discourse as battles (anymore, I totally used to be that type of person), but more so I look try and spend my time more wisely. Obviously until my ban on Era, I was not practicing that philosophy there (or in other places on the internet).

Additionally, that post you're quoting could have been worded and contextualized a lot better, so I can understand reading through a lot of the responses why it might come off wack.

Critical discourse about video games that goes beyond the common practice of isolating the conversation to the game only is actually pretty niche if you're looking at the broad picture. It's not normalized, and when it happens, the reactions are pretty much always asking the same question: Why does it matter? Someone brings up how an Ad in cyberpunk is transphobic? Why does it matter? Characters in the game are LGBTQ? Why does it matter. Journalists highlight working conditions at companies that are abhorrent? Why does it matter?

I wasn't trying to be condescending when I said that the majority of people really do view video games through child-like beer goggles. And that's okay! I don't critically analyze every piece of media I consume either.

With that said, the enjoyment of viewing video games through a critical lens is

- Seeing how real life issues / themes are tied into a game's narrative.
- Understanding where certain inspirations come from.

There's way more factors, but ultimately I find it really does boil down to an enjoyment in gaining knowledge about everything that went into a piece of art.

I love and respect Kyuuji. Full stop. She's incredibly smart and instrumental in my greater understanding of Trans issues and her thread about CDPR being transphobic was incredibly well done and invaluable. Being banned off of Era does not change my fondness for TransEra at all.

Kyuuji playing Cyberpunk isn't hypocritical, and here's why I think this - It's important and ethical to consume media that you perceive as problematic assuming that you're going into the consumption understanding why said media is problematic. I don't think its a black and white issue, and especially for critics, its important to understand the subject you're criticizing in-depth if you're wanting to make a convincing argument about why said thing is problematic and wrong, and needs to be fixed.

I know a ton of you will read that and think "jesus fucking christ this clown" but at the end of the day my grievances will always be towards how Era staff manage issues brought up by marginalized groups in the community, usually never with individuals on a personal level.

Hi Black Chamber! There's a post a few pages where you list me as the second prominent member that needs to be banned, so I think you got your wish!

I think ultimately in many cases if someone does something that can be perceived as one of those labels, just in general internet users will be broad about their labeling. There's almost zero chance people are going to assume good faith, and without context in situations that really require it, you're gonna have situations that really do just boil down to people throwing those labels out.

Not to be rude, but this sounds like a love letter to Kyuuji so you hope she/him can read it and help you get unbanned in Era.

PoundSand

Banned
I think in general if someone isn't looking to be an ally or looking to be genuinely informed about some sociopolitical issue, they're going to dismiss concerns about subjects they find interesting.

In the case of the CDPR and subsequently Cyberpunk 2077 concerns, from what I remember, there were tons of people who I had never seen in any trans issue related threads that dropped by Kyuuji's thread and were like "oh wow, okay, that makes sense and I fully support this."

So yeah, I do think it was helpful. But as always when sociopolitical issues are applied to video games, you will absolutely have the opposite take effect.

You really believe there was a net positive effect from trans era's behavior?

I mean, you're free to believe that, but I can't say I believe you. For every person who reacted as you describe, there must have been a hundred that just left thinking "these freaks are batshit insane". Do you also support the ACAB mantra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom