• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbess

Banned
You really believe there was a net positive effect from trans era's behavior?

I mean, you're free to believe that, but I can't say I believe you. For every person who reacted as you describe, there must have been a hundred that just left thinking "these freaks are batshit insane". Do you also support the ACAB mantra?

I do! I think that thread got like half a million views and I know lots of people who lurk Era and post more on twitter highlight the thread and those issues since then. At least in my circles, it feels like everyone is much more aware, and that's beneficial.

I'm pretty ACAB.

Not to be rude, but this sounds like a love letter to Kyuuji so you hope she/him can read it and help you get unbanned in Era.

That's fine. It's repeating a sentiment and messaging that I'm sure this very thread had pointed out and made fun of. They aren't going to get me unbanned, and to make it clear - I don't want to be unbanned.

I've had a week of peace so far. Feels nice.

You really believe there was a net positive effect from trans era's behavior?

I mean, you're free to believe that, but I can't say I believe you. For every person who reacted as you describe, there must have been a hundred that just left thinking "these freaks are batshit insane". Do you also support the ACAB mantra?

That's basically how I took it when I saw that insanity unfold in the CP2077 thread.

I'm a fairly conservative person, but I'm also socially liberal in that I don't care about what an individual does in their personal life as long as it does not harm others. I do not have to agree with it, but I don't believe it is my or anyone else's place to try and prevent you from living the life that you want to live.

There is NOTHING that CDPR has done that exhibits any form of material transphobia. Being represented in a way that you don't personally like is NOT transphobia. CP2077 probably is the biggest game I can even think of that has representation of such magnitude.

But eventually you cry wolf on so many fake issues that people will eventually just close their ears and ignore real issues whenever they do arise.

PoundSand

Banned
I do! I think that thread got like half a million views and I know lots of people who lurk Era and post more on twitter highlight the thread and those issues since then. At least in my circles, it feels like everyone is much more aware, and that's beneficial.

"In my circles" is the keyword here, isn't it. Yes, the thread has a lot of views. Because it was a spectacle ... I'd really hope you're self-aware enough to understand that. That aside, now that Resetera admins didn't do anything meaningful for trans era, what do you think trans era should do? Just swallow their defeat and continue as if nothing happened?

I'm pretty ACAB.

:/

I don't understand that. Can you explain this imo insane stance?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
In the case of the CDPR and subsequently Cyberpunk 2077 concerns, from what I remember, there were tons of people who I had never seen in any trans issue related threads that dropped by Kyuuji's thread and were like "oh wow, okay, that makes sense and I fully support this."

So yeah, I do think it was helpful.

How many of those people do you think kept on feeling that way after they see that the person who convinced them to cancel their order is actually playing the game on day zero? I don't think many of those will buy the "it's for research purposes" excuse.

Hobbess

Banned
"In my circles" is the keyword here, isn't it. Yes, the thread has a lot of views. Because it was a spectacle ... I'd really hope you're self-aware enough to understand that. That aside, now that Resetera admins didn't do anything meaningful for trans era, what do you think trans era should do? Just swallow their defeat and continue as if nothing happened?

:/

I don't understand that. Can you explain this imo insane stance?

Ultimately you're asking question that I absolutely can't answer nor quantify without an anecdote, so apologies for that. I personally think it did more good than harm.

I don't really know what TransEra should do. I'm one part of the feeling that they should say fuck it and bail. And I'm also one part feeling that if you care about having that a safe space, you should work to attain that.

RE: ACAB

I don't actually know that I have the ability to explain ACAB in a way that follows a logical train of thought in this very moment. Historically speaking, law enforcement has been incentivized to arrest Black people under numerous different state and federal policies for their own individual or collective benefit, see convict leasing for instance.

If I collect some resources for you, would you be willing to consume them?

Dude just admitted to being an acab shitheel and you guys are still engaging with this prick?

This was never secret, and considering how many times I've been brought up in this thread throughout the year, and not to mention that I literally spent a shit ton of time on Era, it should be absolutely zero surprise. Like, c'mon. :p

Last edited:
Fucking Shirion writing essays bigger than the ones i wrote during my university time.

Who the fuck is gonna read that? Hahahahahahah

#ARUAL All Reeeeee Users Are Lunatics if you guys are wondering

It says that even when doing something relaxing (to most people), like watching Netflix, he can't help pausing it at dramatic scenes and role-playing how the scene could have turned out for the good.

He's unhinged. Mad as a bag of frogs. He's ripped his knitting. He's away with the fairies.

Comon who was this?? 🤣😂

KCGGJCR.jpg

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I know several people who would willingly take a bullet for you if it meant a safer community and they don't ever take into account if you're black, white, trans or anything else. They agree to make barely above minimum wage, get shot at, and then waive all rights to sue your privileged ass. They're the first to say "you're going home" even if it means they're not "going home."

Please, defund the police and then tell me who responds when a window breaks at 4:30am and you're so "scared"

PoundSand

Banned
I don't really know what TransEra should do. I'm one part of the feeling that they should say fuck it and bail. And I'm also one part feeling that if you care about having that a safe space, you should work to attain that.

It is Resetera admins in particular that showed trans era a figurative middle finger. Should they not demand some actual, tangible consequences from that? What would you propose that happens? Or should trans era just be like "oh well, surely it'll go over better the next time"? For the record, I'm asking you these question to reach exactly that: something tangible.

I don't actually know that I have the ability to explain ACAB in a way that follows a logical train of thought in this very moment. Historically speaking, law enforcement has been incentivized to arrest Black people under numerous different state and federal policies for their own individual or collective benefit, see convict leasing for instance.

I'll be honest: No. Because there is no amount of explanations that will make me accept the statement "all cops are bad" to be true. You're talking about black people, which leads me to believe you're talking about the USA's situation. Whether that's as bad over there as ACAB supporters claim or not, can't you understand that for Europeans like myself, ACAB is a completely alien concept? That Europeans like myself actually like the police, think they're helpful and good people for the most part? That people from Japan also respect their police because it helps keep up peace? "Not all cops are bad" is a perfectly reasonable opinion, thus, don't you think?

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

Ultimately you're asking question that I absolutely can't answer nor quantify without an anecdote, so apologies for that. I personally think it did more good than harm.

This was never secret, and considering how many times I've been brought up in this thread throughout the year, and not to mention that I literally spent a shit ton of time on Era, it should be absolutely zero surprise. Like, c'mon. :p
God's teeth, you really can't help it can you. You are not managing any incidents here. People are able to make their own decisions here but you continue to show your Resetera brain washing by treating the world as black and white and in total unshaking absolutes.

Hobbess

Banned
Hobbess posts like TaySan with a thesaurus and a full pack of clove cigarettes.

The clove cigarettes is creepily accurate.

Anyways, sorry to disappoint some of you! I thought me being a leftist was fairly obvious. I hope it won't also surprise you to know that I once posted on the site resetera . com.

It is Resetera admins in particular that showed trans era a figurative middle finger. Should they not demand some actual, tangible consequences from that? What would you propose that happens? Or should trans era just be like "oh well, surely it'll go over better the next time"? For the record, I'm asking you these question to reach exactly that: something tangible.

I'll be honest: No. Because there is no amount of explanations that will make me accept the statement "all cops are bad" to be true. You're talking about black people, which leads me to believe you're talking about the USA's situation. Whether that's as bad over there as ACAB supporters claim or not, can't you understand that for Europeans like myself, ACAB is a completely alien concept? That Europeans like myself actually like the police, think they're helpful and good people for the most part? That people from Japan also respect their police because it helps keep up peace? "Not all cops are bad" is a perfectly reasonable opinion, thus, don't you think?

I think tangible change starts with community driven choices of who moderates.

Yes, I totally understand that ACAB to anyone outside of the U.S. makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever. The systemic issues that ACAB as a term represents are not going to apply to elsewhere with a perfect fit. I totally recognize that in other countries law enforcement and those systems are much better. And I've personally experienced that "much better."

Dude just admitted to being an acab shitheel and you guys are still engaging with this prick?
To be frank, I align with ACAB as well (primarily in the context of the US) because I think the police is an intrinsically broken institution that doesn't seek to preserve safety or democracy in society and it should be rebuilt from the ground up, if not abolished and replaced with a better alternative. But that's a conversation for another day and I don't have the time to argue with that, so call me an idiot and move on.

Hobbess said:
Hi Black Chamber! There's a post a few pages where you list me as the second prominent member that needs to be banned, so I think you got your wish!

I think ultimately in many cases if someone does something that can be perceived as one of those labels, just in general internet users will be broad about their labeling. There's almost zero chance people are going to assume good faith, and without context in situations that really require it, you're gonna have situations that really do just boil down to people throwing those labels out.
Hi.

For the record, I didn't put you in that list in any particular order - that's just where you happened to be listed.

Hobbes, you antagonised the shit out of me over there and always jumped on their bandwagon during my dogpiles once the anti-Cyberpunk/anti-CD Projekt Red campaign began. Whenever I was being kicked by the mob, you ran up behind me to kick me some more.

Thanks.

And them labeling people as "transphobic", "racist", bigot", "trumper", "nazis" etc. - that's fucking uncalled for and is far worse than anything they falsely accuse members of this site of saying. How about the blatant racism over there - with them constantly saying c**n and worse? Do you condone that as well?

If you're defending them for all that, then I don't know what else to say.
I don't want to be unbanned.

I've had a week of peace so far. Feels nice.
A week of peace? So is that an admission that it is mentally stressful to post there?🤔
I love and respect Kyuuji. Full stop. She's incredibly smart and instrumental in my greater understanding of Trans issues and her thread about CDPR being transphobic was incredibly well done and invaluable. Being banned off of Era does not change my fondness for TransEra at all.

Kyuuji playing Cyberpunk isn't hypocritical, and here's why I think this - It's important and ethical to consume media that you perceive as problematic assuming that you're going into the consumption understanding why said media is problematic. I don't think its a black and white issue, and especially for critics, its important to understand the subject you're criticizing in-depth if you're wanting to make a convincing argument about why said thing is problematic and wrong, and needs to be fixed.
That's absolute bullshit.

There is no way you can possibly tell me that you honestly think that Kyuuji playing Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't 100% invalidate the thread that she made about CD Projekt Red being "transphobic", or the constant thread derailment in my Cyberpunk 2077 threads with her saying "Fuck CDPR" with links to her stickied thread - which by the way breaks the "Terms of service" there; yet no punishment was ever given.

"Oh I'm just playing it for research and scientific purposes to see if there's any positive or negative trans content in it. Also, I didn't buy it myself; someone gifted me a copy..." That's a pack of blatant lies, because she was playing it before most anybody else, was hyped and excited for it - and she was even more active in my Cyberpunk 2077 threads than I was!!

Can you not see the absolute hypocrisy on display there??

And how do you know that Kyuuji isn't just some elaborate troll account? Have you ever met her in person? Has anyone there ever met her in person?

PoundSand

Banned
I think tangible change starts with community driven choices of who moderates.

So you'd agree that forcing admin poodlestrike to step down as a sacrificial lamb wouldn't be enough? That the entire admin/mod team needed to be replaced, including Cerium?

Yes, I totally understand that ACAB to anyone outside of the U.S. makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever. The systemic issues that ACAB as a term represents are not going to apply to elsewhere with a perfect fit. I totally recognize that in other countries law enforcement and those systems are much better. And I've personally experienced that "much better."

Well, while I still don't agree that ACAB ever makes sense, it's good to see that you're at least understanding how police elsewhere in the world isn't bad. That would probably get you banned on Resetera, though. Crazy, right?

Hobbess

Banned
Hobbes, you antagonised the shit out of me over there and always jumped on their bandwagon during my dogpiles once the anti-Cyberpunk/anti-CD Projekt Red campaign began. Whenever I was being kicked by the mob, you ran up behind me to kick me some more.

Completely valid thing to say and feel. Do I look at the situation like that personally? No, but I recognize that its valid for you to see it that way.

And them labeling people as "transphobic", "racist", bigot", "trumper", "nazis" etc. - that's fucking uncalled for and is far worse than anything they falsely accuse members of this site of saying. How about the blatant racism over there - with them constantly saying c**n and worse? Do you condone that as well?

As I alluded to originally about this point, I think the labeling people of those terms is not an exclusive aspect of Era, but endemic of wider internet discourse.

In regards to your latter question, that would be fucked up! But also I don't really remember anything like that.

A week of peace? So is that an admission that it is mentally stressful to post there?🤔

Yeah of course! I thought I had made that apparent in one of my first posts!

In regards to the last part of your post:

All I can really say is that its unfortunate that you don't believe me. I think I've been pretty intellectually honest and consistent with my views popping into GAF, and I do believe in my reasoning. I don't really know what else to say other than that I think we can agree to disagree!

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
To be frank, I align with ACAB as well (primarily in the context of the US) because I think the police is an intrinsically broken institution that doesn't seek to preserve safety or democracy in society and it should be rebuilt from the ground up, if not abolished and replaced with a better alternative. But that's a conversation for another day and I don't have the time to argue with that, so call me an idiot and move on.
Idiot is not the word I would choose to call someone like you but carry on.

Ryzaki009

Same.

That said I view it as a collective failure then an individual one. So when people do the whole your brother sucks too cause he's a cop thing I'm just shaking my head because that's not the issue and idiots that reduce it to that ruin the conversation by making people defensive and angry over something that's not personal.

tenor.gif

rob305

Hey H Hobbess , I hope you stick around even if its outside of this thread after your break! Its always nice to have actual discourse with people who have different opinions!

Also, to the shock of a lot era users, not everyone at GAF is a right-wing nutjob. You'll find tons of moderates and some lefties spread around the forum! See you around (hopefully!)

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Respectfully, internet forums just aren't fun to be on, and I don't see eye to eye with probably the majority of people who post here. Not that I need an echo chamber, but more so the fact that I don't think there's any value in the conversations to have outside of this very brief one. I'm not gonna spend the time to defend my point of view, nor do I necessarily care to persuade anyone to "my side."

You spelled "they never made me mod" wrong.

You are the biggest wannabe internet cop there is.

cr0w

Old Member
So, Hobbes, random question. Both here and on places I’ve seen you outside of Era (Reddit mostly), you seem like a fairly reasonable guy even when you’re on a subject you’re highly passionate about.

Why is it, then, that on Era you acted like an absolutely fucking outrageous coked-out shitheel, flipping out sometimes for no reason at all? Was it the toxic environment in general or were you trying to fit in and outdo your average enraged Era poster who’s constantly worked into a state of frenzy? I’m legitimately curious here, because this Jekyll and Hyde separation is fascinating to me.

Hobbess

Banned
Why is it, then, that on Era you acted like an absolutely fucking outrageous coked-out shitheel, flipping out sometimes for no reason at all? Was it the toxic environment in general or were you trying to fit in and outdo your average enraged Era poster who’s constantly worked into a state of frenzy? I’m legitimately curious here, because this Jekyll and Hyde separation is fascinating to me.

Lets be fair here - It's not just on Era.

And the reason is that I'm fucking stupid like 90% of the time I'm awake. I probably need to be medicated.

Completely valid thing to say and feel. Do I look at the situation like that personally? No, but I recognize that its valid for you to see it that way.
3TTaIip.gif

I see that you are also writing a research paper here as well, so I am not going to argue with you - I did enough of that at the other place.😏

I tried to extend the olive branch to you when you got your Cyberpunk 2077 Collector's Edition early by showing interest [and I obviously really was interested] in what it came with and how it looked...which soon devolved hours later into you reverting to your old self again. I suppose, I was your Calvin.

I tried the same thing with Kyuuji, by trying to include her in the conversation - hoping merely that everyone could finally get along by me starting a dialogue with her; asking what exactly she was excited for, or hoped to find in Cyberpunk 2077 that excited her about the game - and the same eventuality occurred.

It was like living the movie "Tenet".

Me being honest and genuine, usually equalled me getting dogpiled; so I quickly learned to adapt and evolve away from that behaviour. I hope you can understand that.

Let's just agree to disagree, as you said. I hold no ill will towards you, or any other member there that treated me like shit, simply for being excited for a videogame.

I hope that you can recognize that it is valid that I see it in this way💯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom