• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ionian

Hobbes only made it a day after being welcomed by most people?

hahahahaha

A day ... and that ban message was worth the gold. Brilliant stuff.

What an unappreciative prick.

Hecht for desert please! lol

Last edited:
Why was Hobbess banned? Pretty disappointing to be honest. He did nothing that deserved a ban, and it seems he was being honest and genuine. I probably disagree with 99% of his postings on resetera, but it was a fascinating opportunity to engage with him and have a discourse. Dunno, seems needlessly cruel. I guess I'm just regretful I didn't even get a chance to ask him anything. I was compiling a list.

Ionian

Why was Hobbess banned? Pretty disappointing to be honest. He did nothing that deserved a ban, and it seems he was being honest and genuine. I probably disagree with 99% of his postings on resetera, but it was a fascinating opportunity to engage with him and have a discourse. Dunno, seems needlessly cruel. I guess I'm just regretful I didn't even get a chance to ask him anything. I was compiling a list.

It's pretty self evident, at least to me, if you read back on his posts.

nush

259BE1E8301FB7ED17184A46DE2A65E0C9A9C299

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Many of Reset's users are just regular people who want to chat and talk about video games and have a place on the internet to call virtual home. Those people are largely fine and I'm glad to welcome them back here and give them an alternative to that lunatic asylum where they don't have to be fearful of wrongthink. But we're not importing ResetEra's cancerous true believer Intelligentsia and Gestapo.

Raven117

He would not "come around". It is ingrained in who he is, and no matter how much he wants to be smug and cavalier about it the fact that he got booted from Resetera eats at him and once he realizes that nowhere else will put up with that shit and yet he can't go back to re it will get even worse.
He fancies himself the most clever person in the room, and everyone is below him. More than anything he very quickly proved that he learned nothing.
I mean, that line he said about the twitch thing was actually pretty funny. Maybe he meant it meanly though. Don’t know.

Edit: evilore posted and made it clear what was going on.

Last edited:

Raven117

Many of Reset's users are just regular people who want to chat and talk about video games and have a place on the internet to call virtual home. Those people are largely fine and I'm glad to welcome them back here and give them an alternative to that lunatic asylum where they don't have to be fearful of wrongthink. But we're not importing ResetEra's cancerous true believer Intelligentsia and Gestapo.
Fair enough. Makes perfect sense in this context.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The ACAB shit pisses me off. It's not some cute little meme, it's a vigilante chant used by people who call for violence against the cops.

And even if someone uses it in a meme-ish way to just mean "I'm not a fan of cops in general" there is nothing logical to support this stance. Even if someone's had a personal bad experience with cops, it's no different than going to a primarily black or latino neighborhood, getting mugged and saying all blacks or latinos are thugs. Or going on vacation to Paris and having a run-in with some locals and saying all Parisians are criminals.

It's a low intellect ungrateful stance on a system that puts its life on the line everyday to protect people. When their good deeds go unrecognized.

It's just incredibly fucking stupid and I don't see how someone could be intelligent enough to not judge and generalize one demographic, but so openly do it for another. Especially when the first thing you'll do if someone breaks into your home is call these very people to come aid you.

And this type of rhetoric is getting our officers shot and killed. Because people think "they're under attack!"

Eh, I don't agree with Hobbes ban. He may have said otherwise, but I think he could've stuck around and in time been deradicalized. The cancer doesn't really spread when it's a single cell, and that's all he was.

Ymir

I mean, that line he said about the twitch thing was actually pretty funny.

Just curious if we aren’t holding him to a higher standard due to off site behavior. Maybe he has done enough here on Gaf. I don’t pretend to know.

He'd be banned here even if he was a member with a clean slate, it would just take long enough to rack up enough offenses. He was a two faced loser who sought out attention in any way he could get it. He got his kicks from attacking and piling on other members to make him actually have people pay attention to him. He was part of the cancer of REEEEEE, and he was all too happy to continue that path.

Eh, I don't agree with Hobbes ban. He may have said otherwise, but I think he could've stuck around and in time been deradicalized. The cancer doesn't really spread when it's a single cell, and that's all he was.

You can't be deradicalized by posting how much you want to go back to the radicalized group you were kicked out of.

Last edited:

Raven117

He'd be banned here even if he was a member with a clean slate, it would just take long enough to rack up enough offenses. He was a two faced loser who sought out attention in any way he could get it. He got his kicks from attacking and piling on other members to make him actually have people pay attention to him. He was part of the cancer of REEEEEE, and he was all too happy to continue that path.

You can't be deradicalized by posting how much you want to go back to the radicalized group you were kicked out of.
I get it. It’s taken years to get this to a damn fine place to hangout in. Hate to have that come under threat when you know you are inviting problems.
Judgement calls must be made. And the mod team here knows exactly what they want, tell us how they want it to happen, and act accordingly.

can’t ask for more. Hell, it’s perfect.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
He literally said from the jump that he had no interest in being here (yet he kept posting?) so I would think that alone would get someone shown the door.

"Who gave me that Gaf gold member....you know I don't want to be here"

Every fucking post is like an apologetic letter to the re-mods and Kyuuji to unbanned him.

teezzy

Banned
While Hobbes certainly started off with a pompous air of, "I don't even need to be here. I'm above GAF," he seemed to actually let his guard down, managed to be self-deprecating, and showed some humility near the end there. He even admitted that he was greeted far more warmly than anticipated. With that said, I can respect the ban as a preemptive measure for the greater good of the site. I remember the dark ages here too well. Dude wasn't banned for his opinions, as lacking in nuance as something like ACAB can be, but was dealt with based upon prior grievances towards the community. Hopefully not a slippery slope.

I have a general distaste for those who parade their own self-submitted dignity and importance, and he certainly gave off those vibes hella-hard.

I'm kinda indifferent tbh. Ultimately, not my call. Probably for the better.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dat anxiety attack when you see EviLore mentioned you.

What did I miss? I’ve been in meetings all day.

Hobbes, Reset’s Incident Manager and true believer ally, got permed over there and registered a GAF account for attention, posted several novellas here about how his punishment was deserved, said he’s above being on NeoGAF and will never be a regular, and professed his love for Kyuuji (some prominent trans-era member who gets everyone who challenges her banned), hoping his posts will be noticed by Reset members with authority to help him with his account status.

You would’ve enjoyed roasting all of it, check out the past few pages when you get a chance.

Papa

Banned
Hobbes, Reset’s Incident Manager and true believer ally, got permed over there and registered a GAF account for attention, posted several novellas here about how his punishment was deserved, said he’s above being on NeoGAF and will never be a regular, and professed his love for Kyuuji (some prominent trans-era member who gets everyone who challenges her banned), hoping his posts will be noticed by Reset members with authority to help him with his account status.

You would’ve enjoyed roasting all of it, check out the past few pages when you get a chance.

Shit that sounds like fun. I’ll have a read tonight while I watch the cricket and play with the baby.

Who was that guy we had earlier in the year? Zero Testosterone? That’s not right... I can’t remember his name.

Ionian

Shit that sounds like fun. I’ll have a read tonight while I watch the cricket and play with the baby.

Who was that guy we had earlier in the year? Zero Testosterone? That’s not right... I can’t remember his name.

Watching cricket. Shit you'll have time to read the last few hundred pages between innings,

TombaHat

Neo Member
I think in general if someone isn't looking to be an ally or looking to be genuinely informed about some sociopolitical issue, they're going to dismiss concerns about subjects they find interesting.

In the case of the CDPR and subsequently Cyberpunk 2077 concerns, from what I remember, there were tons of people who I had never seen in any trans issue related threads that dropped by Kyuuji's thread and were like "oh wow, okay, that makes sense and I fully support this."

So yeah, I do think it was helpful. But as always when sociopolitical issues are applied to video games, you will absolutely have the opposite take effect.

It sucks that Hobbes is banned, but transgender people that I know, one that I've been friends with before they figured themselves out, believes that Resetera has done far more harm towards trans acceptance than even the most transphobic video game you can think of.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Well that was funny. I hope Kyuuji now open her eyes and marry this guy because that was an honest act of love from his part.

Thanks Hobbes for showing us what true love looks like.

Now, moving on with Reeee latest dumb news... what did I miss?

Last edited:

Ionian

Hobbes registered to whine, he said he didn't want want to post here.

Then did. Several times.

He said he didn't want to be here. People need to read more than one page and go back.

As someone who is studying English in college, Shiron's posts are also terribly written from a composition standpoint. He keeps repeating himself and he never figures out how to get his point across without going into constant digressions. Instead of saying, "I'm disappointed in Era's handling of transphobia." motherfucker goes into an entire analysis of Digimon or some shit and tries to connect it to his main point somehow. It's excessive and bloated for no reason.

I know word count obsession when I see it. Can't submit anything below 1,000 words to a gaming forum, that won't do now.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ha, what a weird ride that was. I just woke up the suspense of seeing him banned and reading the thread to find out what happened, it was intense.

To Hobbess credit he came across civil and polite in explaining his view of the world, which I found refreshing - to have an Era true believer actually speak normally, not screech “bigot”, “read the room” or “just asking questions huh”.

What I took away from his ACAB thing was that a much less inflammatory expression would be that “police in the USA is an institution exhibiting systemic racism”.

That said, I do think his true home is Era, hope they take him back.

Last edited:
Just read that ACAB bullshit they keep talking about. Once again just shows that they really live in their little bubble and think the world acts like that. In my country cops can't even use the gun without authorization. If they use it and shoot someone you can bet they're going to court.

And I legit doubt that in the US cops just go around the day looking for minorities to shoot. Bad apples always exist, we do need to go after those. But for fuck's sake, it really looks like the US is the wild west.

What a bunch of echo chamber holier than thou motherfuckers. I seriously wish they could save that stimulus check and actually use it for something useful like travel, just to expand their knowledge. But the fuckers will just spend it on a PS5 and a OLED TV, while keeping the same bullshit crusade.

Last edited:
Just read that ACAB bullshit they keep talking about. Once again just shows that they really live in their little bubble and think the world acts like that. In my country cops can't even use the gun without authorization. If they use it and shoot someone you can bet they're going to court.

And I legit doubt that in the US cops just go around the day looking for minorities to shoot. Bad apples always exist, we do need to go after those. But for fuck's sake, it really looks like the US is the wild west.

What a bunch of echo chamber holier than thou motherfuckers. I seriously wish they could save that stimulus check and actually use it for something useful like travel, just to expand their knowledge. But the fuckers will just spend it on a PS5 and a OLED TV, while keeping the same bullshit crusade.

There’s no evidence I’ve seen of systemic racism in police departments. These recent anti-police and pro “lives” movements have absolutely nothing to do with race. They are stories that get weaponized by the media.

there may be an argument about better training and policies to reduce poor outcomes, but being a police officer is a dangerous and risky job and the act of resisting arrest can easily escalate into a life or death situation...but again, it has nothing to do with race in the vast majority of situations.

the idea that dismantling the police is any sort of realistic solution is an absurd, extremist left wing fantasy, but I guess we shouldnt expect rational thought from the same folks that actually believe the ACAB nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom