• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 - Ultimate HD Edition |OT| Welcome back, stranger!

I wonder if they consciously did that to compensate for a mouse being more accurate than a controller? Make you have to move slower?

It's really dumb and I want it gone, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was their mindset

I really don't think that's it because Resident Evil Revelations had the exact same negative mouse acceleration and it was patched out in a few days. Hopefully that's what happens here too.

ZehDon

Can someone explain to me, why every time when I try to play the game higher res than 1920x1080, it kinda goes into a matrix slowdown effect?
Basically, whenever the game drops below whichever fixed frame rate you have selected, it slows down to output the requires frames, rather than dropping frames. If you drop the fixed frame rate to 30, for example, the problem should disappear.

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but the fixed 60 FPS and 30 FPS options seem to cause the game to change it's internal rendering (meaning internal game speed) rate to those FPS respectively.

If you're running this game on a POS ancient laptop like I am (Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz, ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB), and your system can't output 60 FPS consistently when you've chosen "Fixed 60 FPS" in the Video Options, the game itself will seem to go into "slow motion". So if your system drops to 30 FPS, the game's effective speed will be halved.

The "solution" so to speak is to change it to "Fixed 30 FPS" (yeah, yeah I know..), and then the game will be at the correct speed even when your system is pushing only 30 FPS.

Just thought I'd throw it out there for those with crappy rigs like mine.

Otherwise, I'm having a blast of a time, I can set it to 1080p, 0x AA, HD textures, High Shadows and Motion Blur OFF (Seriously having it ON makes the game look terrible.) and maintain 30 FPS all the time. Using a 360 wired pad, which is good enough for this game.

Also, certain options like the Vsync setting seems to be re-enabled everytime you start up the game again, even after explicitly disabling it in the config.ini file located in the "\Documents\My Games\Capcom\RE4" folder.

Set it to Read-Only to prevent the game from changing it back again. The games own Vsync seems to be Double buffered not Triple buffered so drops from 30 will go down straight to 20, then 15, etc.

Ally1987

this might be a stupid question, but how do I quit the game to the main menu? it seems for me that the only options I have is to restart from the beginning, reload og reload last checkpoint?

While im still struggling to get to grips with the mouse & keyboard scheme (I can see why it is the way it is however) ..... when scoped good lord, its cheating. Feels sogood.gif, easily blasting dynamite out of fools hands.

Guri

Out of curiosity: people who have been getting 60 fps constantly: any of you have 8x AA enabled? Just to check because it seems it's the big cause of the slow-motion a lot of users are having.

Grief.exe

Anyone else experiencing audio synching issues during cutscenes?

Me, i had this happen when i took a screenshot with the Steam screenshots.

If your frame rate dropped below 60, than the cutscenes will be off.

Out of curiosity: people who have been getting 60 fps constantly: any of you have 8x AA enabled? Just to check because it seems it's the big cause of the slow-motion a lot of users are having.

I believe I'm using 4x and I only encountered the glitch once. I alt-tabbed and I couldn't get above 30-40 FPS.

Fevaweva

Just started playing this version. I've tried the game at least twice previously, once on the Gamecube and once on the Wii and just stopped after about 2 hours or so. I dunno why.

But this time I am determined to finish it!

I killed the first chainsaw dude you meet by knocking him off a ladder a few times. It was rather funny.

Ugh, got home to play on my home PC just to realize the porting is pretty bad

How and why am I not able to max this? i3-2100, HD5850, 8GB DDR3, SSD. Can't maintain above 60FPS so I get the weird slowmo thing. RE5 sure hell ran way better.

Ugh, got home to play on my home PC just to realize the porting is pretty bad

How and why am I not able to max this? i3-2100, HD5850, 8GB DDR3, SSD. Can't maintain above 60FPS so I get the weird slowmo thing. RE5 sure hell ran way better.

The forced double buffered Vsync the game employs makes the situation worse. Turn it off in the config.ini file.

Also turning off MSAA also helps. It's a performance killer.

Grief.exe

This texture is amazing. Brings it up to HD standards, but still looks worn down

022703.jpg

Curufinwe

Also, certain options like the Vsync setting seems to be re-enabled everytime you start up the game again, even after explicitly disabling it in the config.ini file located in the "\Documents\My Games\Capcom\RE4" folder.

Set it to Read-Only to prevent the game from changing it back again. The games own Vsync seems to be Double buffered not Triple buffered so drops from 30 will go down straight to 20, then 15, etc.

So the advice is to turn V-Sync off and Subtitles on in the config.ini file then set it to Read Only.

Anything else we should do to config.ini before playing the game for the first time?

nullref

No problems so far running at 1080p60, 4xMSAA on my i7-4960HQ + GT750m -- game looks great. I haven't even hit the village yet, though, so we'll see if I can hold 60hz in a busier scene. If it can't, I'll have to choose between turning down the AA or even dropping to 30hz. I turned off motion blur as that looked like shit and was causing frame drops.

I haven't totally settled on what control scheme to use. Mouse + keyboard is tempting, but seems like it will undermine the challenge a bit. But I've always had trouble adjusting to precise aiming with my left thumb, so it's looking like gamepad config Type III will be the way to go.

Grief.exe

I haven't totally settled on what control scheme to use. Mouse + keyboard is tempting, but seems like it will undermine the challenge a bit. But I've always had trouble adjusting to precise aiming with my left thumb, so it's looking like gamepad config Type III will be the way to go.

It really seems balanced in a way that doesn't remove the challenge. Leon's aim is shaky and you still have a limited area to aim, you can't swing around like in other games.

ACE 1991

So should I expect 60 fps the whole way through with an i5 2500K (@4.0ghz) and a 1GB 6950 with all settings on except blur and post processing? Does anyone know how much vram the HD textures use?

Grief.exe

Is this from the ultimate edition or a mod? Looks fantastic if you ask me.

Mod, was linked right above my post.

So should I expect 60 fps the whole way through with an i5 2500K (@4.0ghz) and a 1GB 6950 with all settings on except blur and post processing? Does anyone know how much vram the HD textures use?

560ti SLI

easy 1080p/60FPS performance. Get about 40% on each card. 300-400 MB VRAM usage.

collige

Banned
I did some messing around with the post processing effects and got a couple of cool looking black and white settings. Here are some pics:
1024x576.resizedimage

1024x576.resizedimage

The gradient files are below if you wanna try them out. Just download the picture and rename it to gradient1, gradient2, or gradient3. Then replace the respective files in the BIO4/gradients folder (after backing up the original) and set the post processing to the same number. They fuck with the HUD though and visibility is messed up in a few places so it's probably not a good idea for first time users, but for vets like me who want a challenge, this could be a cool way to play through the game again.
48CS4pX.png

C4gaOBk.png

Newboi

Does anyone play with Motion Blur on? I can't really decide if I like it lol. It seems to be implemented in a weird way. It's like the screen is just arbitrarily blurry at times instead of blur being added per-object based on movement speed.

Grief.exe

So even though I have 1 card comparable to your two I should be good to go?

You have a 6950. You can assume you are always good to go for the foreseeable future.

You may have to turn down some settings due to the lowered VRAM, but you will be fine. I am in that same boat as well.

Sullichin

So I want to play this today but I only have my laptop. I'm sure it would run fine but I only have the laptop keyboard and Apple Magic Mouse available as control options. How's the kb/m controls? Am I going to have a bad time?

Yesterday I only played the beginning area in my rig, which has the following specs:

DC2D OC @ 3.2 GHz
4GB RAM
GTX 560 Ti

Game was running at 1080p, 60 fps in the beginning area leading to the village. I'll test it again tonight to see how it handles when there are lots of enemies on the screen.

If you guys hadn't mentioned how some of the new HD textures are not quite right, I wouldn't have noticed. Meh, I'll still play it, the gameplay is what makes this game shine. It could look like a game filled with stick figures, and I would still play it... so good.

So I want to play this today but I only have my laptop. I'm sure it would run fine but I only have the laptop keyboard and Apple Magic Mouse available as control options. How's the kb/m controls? Am I going to have a bad time?

Controls are fine, just remember that it's RE4, and that when you aren't aiming the mouse isn't going to turn Leon, just move the camera around. You turn with the A and D keys. The game was built around these controls, and while it doesn't control like modern third person shooters, it controls really well with mouse and keys for what the game is supposed to be.

Even on an analogue thumb stick, there wasn't analogue turning.

I could see the post-process effect thing being amusing. I took the simple two-color gradient from above and quickly made a modification.

Resident Evil 4: Virtual Boy Edition!

Resident Evil 4: Virtual Boy in video form in stunning 60fps!

Page Up and Page Down.
More like UK boxart edition.

11834.jpg

Sullichin

Controls are fine, just remember that it's RE4, and that when you aren't aiming the mouse isn't going to turn Leon, just move the camera around. You turn with the A and D keys. The game was built around these controls, and while it doesn't control like modern third person shooters, it controls really well with mouse and keys for what the game is supposed to be.

Even on an analogue thumb stick, there wasn't analogue turning.

Yeah, I beat the game a million times so I'm used to the controls and I like them, but it occurred to me that moving might feel really clunky with a cramped laptop keyboard. I usually don't like third person games on kb/m either. What the hell though, I'll give it a shot.

TripleT1

Game runs fine on my laptop but for some reason i'm getting some serious screen tearing whenever I move the camera around.

Anyone have any ideas as to why?

Top Bottom