• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

So it's not a return to the tank controls/third person horror/b-movie of old Resident Evil and it's not continuing the third person over the top action horror b-movie of the new Resident Evil. In fact, the entire vibe of that trailer makes it almost seem like a completely different franchise altogether and is rumored to completely do away with old continuity, yet they are still remaking Resident Evil 2 of the old continuity.

Basically, I'm confused as to why this bears the title of VII when it seems so far removed from anything that came before it.

Jawmuncher

I'm a huge fan of old/new RE, and I was pumped for any RE tonight, but I didn't see anything in this trailer besides a general sense of mystery and decay which says RE to me.

And making it a niche VR first person game (assuming it is entirely first person)? It sounds a very risky move on Capcom's part. We'll see.

It's my biggest issue with it. Just seems like RE slapped on a name to make up for Silent Hills being cancelled.

As an RE fan, I'm super excited to see where this entry goes! REALLY excited <3 I hope this means Mercenaries finally gets another standalone entry--that would be sweet!

Shauni

That scares me.

So less than a year in development?

I also noiced the "1" in kitchen so maybe it's a reboot?

Why would you call a reboot RE7, though? It just doesn't make any sense. They would just call it Resident Evil if it were a reboot.

Looks excellent. I'm glad they're trying something radically new, and I'm excited to try the demo.

For the rest of you change-averse folks, we have a game for you: Resident Evil 2 Remake.

Bittercup

Really not what I expected from a Resident Evil and can't say I'm happy about that.
As a new IP or as a spin-off could be interesting. I hope this is not the direction for RE.

Seyavesh

Like it just becomes every other run of the mill first person jump scare indie horror game now......I really don't know what to think
ah, yeah
that's what it was reminding me of, haha
this is a real mystery, it is

the real crime here is no mercenaries in spooky walker central

So it's not a return to the tank controls/third person horror/b-movie of old Resident Evil and it's not continuing the third person over the top action horror b-movie of the new Resident Evil. In fact, the entire vibe of that trailer makes it almost seem like a completely different franchise altogether and is rumored to completely do away with old continuity, yet they are still remaking Resident Evil 2 of the old continuity.

Basically, I'm confused as to why this bears the title of VII when it seems so far removed from anything that came before it.

Same, very mixed on this.

depths20XX

Yeah, it's almost like the series just changes sometimes. Weird huh?

frontovik

Banned
Will wait for more previews and information.

I don't like the switch to a first person perspective, and thought the reveal trailer was lacklustre. It reminds me of Evil Within, which was also disappointing.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Looks like they ruined RE. I'm one of those people who loved RE6, but even if you wanted it to return to a survival horror style, consistency with the world and characters is incredibly important for the franchise. This looks like they're throwing away everything and replacing it with an Amnesia/Outlast style. If the whole game is pretty consistent with this showing I will be incredibly disappointed. One of my fav franchises, one of the most robust brands in the industry, dying to some lame generic horror reboot. I really hope that isn't the case.

I've played pretty much every RE game and can't make myself excited for this. Sucks, because this was one of the games I was really looking forward to.

It looks good, but not what I wanted.

WellWell, this ks hot garnbage. This was my most anticipated game for E3, and it's a P.T clone!? Are you kidding me!? I'm absolutely disgusted by this, and it couldn't be any further from survival horror. I'll give the demo a chance, but if all you do is run and hide from enemies, count me out. That's NOT Resident Evil.
What is Resident Evil, the series already completely changed genres before

Also, the newspaper close-up... are we gonna be dealing with ghosts now? Zombies seemingly gone? It says, "Ghosts sighted in bayou." Very interesting.

From what I've gathered,

Fans of the classic games...HYPED!!!

Fans of the newer games...DISAPPOINTED!!

I want to bottle the tears of the RE6 fans.

:D

This is the game that's gonna make me buy a ps4 and vr headset. Soooooo effing stoked.

It looks just so generic. I hope this isn't a game where we see the character we are controlling reacting to every scary thing on screen and continues talking. That was never what resident evil was about.

It seems that people just can't accept disruption, nor innovation.

The devs are clearly trying something new for the franchise and they know what they're doing. Let's just calm down and see how it goes.

vpance

This looks interesting, but I think I would rather RE7 be a regular TPS, and leave this as a spinoff.

Complainers got what they wanted tho, lol :)

kc44135

Resident Evil is a game of tense inventory management, and where you make difficult choices about when to run and when to fight. Even the newer games kept this while moving to more action oriented gameplay. Right now, this seems to be a "hide and seek" game ala Outlast, with no combat, no boss fights, no inventory management, nothing that makes RE RE. Like I said, I'll try the demo, and I hope I'm wrong, but this isn't what I wanted, and I couldn't be more disappointed.

jblank83

It looks fun but not RE. It feels a total reboot. Not even a third person game.

4, 5, and 6 were very different from 1, 2, and 3. Need to mix it up to keep it fresh.

Personally I didn't like 4, 5, or 6, so I'm more interested in this than I would be otherwise (unless they went back to classic style).

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
http://www.capcom-unity.com/timturi...-evil-7-biohazard-ushers-in-a-new-era-of-fear

PS4, PC, Xbox

Pre-orders for North America via the PlayStation Store are available starting today and come with the exclusive Resident Evil 7 dynamic PS4 theme. True survivalists who pre-order the Standard or Digital Deluxe version of Resident Evil 7 will receive the Survival Pack, which includes an early unlock to the hardest difficulty mode as well as a special item set when the game releases. Pre-orders for Xbox One and PC will be available soon.

Jawmuncher

Pretty sure this will be set during the Arklay incident where people thought it was cannibals. They'll probably use infections were different and slower strain from RE1 which caused people to be more crazy than instantly become zombies.

kc44135

4, 5, and 6 were very different from 1, 2, and 3. Need to mix it up to keep it fresh.

Personally I didn't like 4, 5, or 6, so I'm more interested in this than I would be otherwise (unless they went back to classic style).

Even the newer games had elements of the older games in them. There isn't a single trace of RE in what Capcom showed here tonight.

Resident Evil is a game of tense inventory management, and where you make difficult choices about when to run and when to fight. Even the newer games kept this while moving to more action oriented gameplay. Right now, this seems to be a "hide and seek" game ala Outlast, with no combat, no boss fights, no inventory management, nothing that makes RE RE. Like I said, I'll try the demo, and I hope I'm wrong, but this isn't what I wanted, and I couldn't be more disappointed.
I don't remember any of that in RE5/6, pretty sure I killed everything that moved without worrying much at all about my inventory.

Seyavesh

Of course, a horror story is only as frightening as its setting, and Resident Evil 7 pays tribute to the franchise&#8217;s origins on this front as well. Resident Evil 7 is set after the events of Resident Evil 6, taking place in modern day and revolving around a foreboding, derelict plantation mansion in rural America. Players must explore and survive the horrors within the mysterious, sprawling estate.

hey, how about that
it's a soft reboot haha

anyhow, it's confirmed first person too:
Resident Evil 7 ramps up that tension with an immersive first-person view and a photorealistic graphical style.

Yeah, it's almost like the series just changes sometimes. Weird huh?

Most of the time when a series changes this much they do away with the numbered aspect of the series and they aren't currently remaking a game that is part of the continuity they are seemingly trying to get away from. What if REmake 2 is a runaway success and renews interest in those characters? They can't call it Resident Evil 7 anymore, and they can't call it Resident Evil 8 because that would just confuse the people who like the new continuity of Resident Evil 7 unless they want to weld it altogether in an incoherent mess which would just put them back where they were before and what they are now trying to solve in the first place. It just seems like an odd move. It really seems more suited for a new IP or complete reboot. Not saying I won't try it.

Top Bottom